Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DS iLL - First Footage

• 74 results
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @oldschool said:
    " Always keep in mind HD, there are 4 of us in the home and so it is a collective, not an individual with the 5.  They get used a lot and especially for 4 player games.  I do have a good income, but I also have no vices to use up that money.

If Nintendo are Starship Troopers then they are the most awesome company in the history of man.  I can just imagine a DS ad like the bug squishing one in that movie  ^-^

I really don't see a difference between your Samsung example and Nintendo.  Very few parents throw out a couple of hundred dollars to shut their kids up.  I am give most the credit for buying something they consider worthwhile.  They are the same customers who buy that Samsung television.  Exploiting consumers is a big call.  If we are talking exploiting consumers, then we need to discuss mobile phone companies, not Nintendo.  Even then, I have had a grand total of 3 phones in 15 years of owning.  Their sales pitch does not get to me, but it sure as hell gets to many others who upgrade yearly. "
    Ah, makes sense then. I assumed when you said you had that many, you were collecting them or something. Even then, if there's 4 of you, why have 5 with an expected total of at least 7 in a few months?

I meant Nintendo are basically the people in the adverts. In fct, the advert for Wii Music that aired here a few months back that used a phrase that said something along the lines of 'Use Wii Music to help in your child's development' while showing that same perfect family in the creepily tidy open plan house. Made me want to get my ass to Mars.

At Christmas time, there's pretty much always at least one 'big' gift and it seems that Nintendo have something there every year and rarely is it something that could justify the spending. And yeah, phone companies are hell for that, but they're going for a similar target as Nintendo are so it's another plan which relies on the fashionability of the phone moreso than the product itself.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By oldschool
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " Always keep in mind HD, there are 4 of us in the home and so it is a collective, not an individual with the 5.  They get used a lot and especially for 4 player games.  I do have a good income, but I also have no vices to use up that money.

If Nintendo are Starship Troopers then they are the most awesome company in the history of man.  I can just imagine a DS ad like the bug squishing one in that movie  ^-^

I really don't see a difference between your Samsung example and Nintendo.  Very few parents throw out a couple of hundred dollars to shut their kids up.  I am give most the credit for buying something they consider worthwhile.  They are the same customers who buy that Samsung television.  Exploiting consumers is a big call.  If we are talking exploiting consumers, then we need to discuss mobile phone companies, not Nintendo.  Even then, I have had a grand total of 3 phones in 15 years of owning.  Their sales pitch does not get to me, but it sure as hell gets to many others who upgrade yearly. "
    Ah, makes sense then. I assumed when you said you had that many, you were collecting them or something. Even then, if there's 4 of you, why have 5 with an expected total of at least 7 in a few months?

I meant Nintendo are basically the people in the adverts. In fct, the advert for Wii Music that aired here a few months back that used a phrase that said something along the lines of 'Use Wii Music to help in your child's development' while showing that same perfect family in the creepily tidy open plan house. Made me want to get my ass to Mars.

At Christmas time, there's pretty much always at least one 'big' gift and it seems that Nintendo have something there every year and rarely is it something that could justify the spending. And yeah, phone companies are hell for that, but they're going for a similar target as Nintendo are so it's another plan which relies on the fashionability of the phone moreso than the product itself. "
    No-one wants to willingly use the Phat now.  It does look pretty horrible now and the screen seems so dark. 

I would struggle to find a person who disagrees with you on the Nintendo ads.  They are cringe personified.  I hardly see them as I don't watch commercial television and rarely load an internet version, so they don't affect me, but again - they ARE horrible.  People buy the stuff, so it does work.  maybe they are so bad for a reason - "bad" ads are more likely to be noticed.  They have this whole yuk Americana about them which I really hate.   

How's this HD, we are conversing and agreeing  ^-^
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's glossy, unlike the DSi ,and it will feature three "screen snap positions", the DSi only has two. 

No Caption Provided
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " It's glossy, unlike the DSi ,and it will feature three "screen snap positions", the DSi only has two. 

No Caption Provided
    "
    I think I prefer the shiny.  The matte feels quite weird.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Linkyshinks

New images added to the OP.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cspiffo

hmmm?  My DS Lite's hinge is so cracked I'm afraid the top screen might just fall off any minute.  I like the ide of having the large screens...hmmmm?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Willy105

That is huge. Period.

@Mourne said:

" While this does look like a nice upgrade to the hardware, I can't help but question if this is another miscalculation on Nintendo's part. "

What was the first one?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah, seeing alongside a PSP really gives you a sense of scale.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By LiquidPrince

So ugly and unneeded.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " So ugly and unneeded. "
    I think the seniors who this handheld was design for would disagree. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By mikemcn

Im waiting for the DS thats about the size of a netbook, so lets say..... 3 months until we'll start hearing about?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By jakob187

I'm sorry, but calling your handheld "ill" is not a good selling point to me.  

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By oldschool
    @jakob187 said:
    " I'm sorry, but calling your handheld "ill" is not a good selling point to me.   "
    But 'ill" is 'sick' and 'sick' is good with the kids, right? 

The DSi is fully sick mate  (said with an Aussie accent)  ^_^
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ryanwho
    @Red said:
    " Make a much bigger and bulkier version of your handheld for more money isn't really a step forward, in my book.  "
    If you had man hands you'd understand why this rocks. 
    I can't wait to finally have a DS that doesn't cramp me up.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ryanwho

People who've been following the rule of handhelds, "don't upgrade the next thing, wait for the thing after the next thing" will be in good shape to pick this up. And if you picked up a DSi, well, bro, rule of handhelds bro cmon. Skip fat, get lite, skip i, get fat i.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#66  Edited By AgentJ

I'm tempted to skip the DSi and wait for the XL to come to america. The bigger screens are a plus, especially since it looks that the games don't lose any fidelity 

Argorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Argorok

Why not make a DS with better hardware?  Nintendo at this point is polishing the turd for the third time.  A smart move would be to take ideas from both the iPhone and the PSP and improve them.  Better graphics, a multi-touch screen, way more DSi Ware content, and video support would make it the supreme king of handhelds.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Linkyshinks:  If a senior who has vision that is so bad they need a screen that big, then I doubt they would be interested in gaming. They would probably be so old they would content with just sitting around doing what they do.
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

This new piece of hardware looks to be a sidestep rather than an improvement. If anything at all, this gives the consumer more an option on what type of DS they want. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Linkyshinks

Japanese site Impress Watch have took a look at the new handhelds innards. As you would expect it's practically the same as the DSi's, except for a few things: 

•  The DSi LL has a larger capacity battery, which is no surprise as it lists a longer battery life.
    • The LL has a unique board. This is because the button switches are on the board and thus the board would have to match the system's larger size.
    • The circuit board for the D-pad has been made sturdier, now held in place by seven screws.
    • The wireless LAN module is also different from DSi. It's made by Mitsumi and has model number DWM-W024    

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By Willy105
    @jakob187 said:

" I'm sorry, but calling your handheld "ill" is not a good selling point to me.   "

That's it's Japanese name.

In Western countries it's called the DSi XL.

Anyway, "ill" sounds hip.

@Argorok said:
    " Why not make a DS with better hardware?  Nintendo at this point is polishing the turd for the third time.  A smart move would be to take ideas from both the iPhone and the PSP and improve them.  Better graphics, a multi-touch screen, way more DSi Ware content, and video support would make it the supreme king of handhelds. "

That's called making a next-gen system. Which it is not time for. And it already is the supreme king of handhelds from game standpoints (and sales, lots and lots of sales), so unless Apple or Sony step it up, they will just keep goinjg with the same thing until it is time. After all, the first Game Boy lasted from 1989 to 1998 (9 years) before it's successor came out.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Emilio

I want to play Chinatown Wars on that giant screen.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By Emilio
    @Linkyshinks:  
    Ugh, I want to play Fantasy Life on that big ass screen, but I would love it if I could somehow hook up a mini controller. 

Seriously, the DS iLL could be a brand new mini home console if someone can hook up a controller to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.