Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nvidia Tegra's (future Nintendo handheld's) graphics revealed!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

This is what the next Nintendo handheld uses, so you may see similar quality like this on a new system in the next few years! Nintendo chose this for it's low power consumption and high power, which is important for a portable device which uses batteries. This is also great for laptops. Imagine playing the latest games with ease on a cheap netbook! And yes, it is in HD.

Check it out.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

Seems like an ambitious decision, I wonder where this will lead.

Thanks for the heads up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Looks cool.  For a handheld, it would be great.  However, let's be real for a moment:  Nintendo has always been less about graphics and more about functionality and reaching out to a wide audience.  Sony's handheld stomps the DS in terms of graphics, and I'm sure the next Sony handheld will do the same. 

Regardless, it's nice to see the capabilities that the next Nintendo handheld will have in it.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

PSP graphics still top that.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Willy105
    @jakob187 said:

" Looks cool.  For a handheld, it would be great.  However, let's be real for a moment:  Nintendo has always been less about graphics and more about functionality and reaching out to a wide audience.  Sony's handheld stomps the DS in terms of graphics, and I'm sure the next Sony handheld will do the same.  Regardless, it's nice to see the capabilities that the next Nintendo handheld will have in it. "

They have always been more about functionality over graphics, but this generation was the first one where neither of their consoles were arguably #1 in graphics. This gen could be a fluke and they could return back to their heavy duty graphics tech next gen. After all, their handheld is using Tegra.

@Emandudeguyperson said:
    " PSP graphics still top that. "

In HD and 60 fps? Most PSP games don't seem to go above 20. You know I'm right. I play PSP.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe

That's pretty awesome news. Hopefully this will turn out well for portable gaming as it would be easy for me to play newer pc games on my laptop at high graphical settings and good fps.

And for hand held devices even better. Nintendo would definitely benefit.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    lol

Yes, I just laughed in your face.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coombs
    Translation:
      Since a few days, rumors are circulating through the vastness of the Internet, Nintendo already care plans for a Nintendo DS 2 with high-res display - perfect to play back high-definition graphics. At CES 2010 in Las Vegas, Nvidia introduced its specially developed for mobile devices Tegra-2-chip that can conjure up because of its enormous computing power impressive graphics on the screen. So could the games out for a possible DS2?

Probably later this year, the Tegra-2 chip maker Nvidia to enter the market. The Tegra 2 does not only use in tablet PCs, and specialized chips for mobile devices such as smartphones, will be produced. Also possible: The use in future handhelds, such as a Nintendo DS 2. This would lead to the recent rumor that the next Nintendo DS with a Tegra chip is equipped materialize. The Tegra-2-chip consists of eight separate processors, which can each assume different roles (3D gaming, web browsing, etc.). The chipset has been optimized for high performance and low power consumption - ideal for mobile devices. The benefit here is up to ten times higher than in recent smartphone processors. This is underpinned by the latest video, which the concentrated processing power of the Tegra contributes 2 to the picture. This video was created as part of a CES-2010-present; the Mittschnitt we ask you to show below.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By lemon360

Way ahead of what i thought  Nintendo's next handheld would be.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    What are you smoking?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

Will the new Nintendo handheld have just one Tegra chip or many?

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goly

Is that Dennis Dyack asking the second question?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willy105
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Will the new Nintendo handheld have just one Tegra chip or many? "
    It only needs one. No reason to have more than one when just one is more powerful than the Wii.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

That looks pretty slick. Still, regardless of graphics, if Nintendo make a fun handheld then that's enough for me. Though I still enjoy both my PSP and DS a lot.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Willy105 said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    It only needs one. No reason to have more than one when just one is more powerful than the Wii. "
    Eh... I hate that the Wii is what we're required to compare this to.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Awesome.  Now I just want to know when the next DS comes out.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By KamasamaK

Tegra 2 is a good choice and will also be used in other next generation handheld devices (e.g. smartphones), which should make porting games between them easier.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Geno

Tegra2 will also be used in next gen smartphones such as the next iPhone, I wonder if mobile companies will try to move in on the handheld sector. 

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingkorn69

PSP is over!  It is crap and no one I know even has one anymore!  Long live Nintendo and there handhelds.  I don't think in my lifetime anyone will over take them at that!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Diamond

I saw this video a day or so ago and it's weird the stuff the Nvidia guy says.  I guess he's trying to sell the product, but the Tegra 2 isn't anywhere near 'high end platforms' today or even a few years ago.

As far as the specs I've heard and the tech demo yea it's more powerful than a PSP, but I'm guessing it'll still be weaker than a Xbox 1.  Sounds like it'll have a 600MHz dual core ARM11 CPU.  Basically it'll be about as powerful as many good smartphones today.

edit - not putting it down btw, it's more than enough for a handheld IMO.  Just the Nvidia guy himself is weird, and acts kind of ignorant about tech in the claims he makes despite his position.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Emandudeguyperson said:
    What are you smoking? "

I've seen comments on this site from people that claim Borderlands has worse graphics than a PS1 game...and they were serious.  Don't even question the craziness.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The thing that doesn't impress me is the fact that the tech demo never had more than one enemy on at a time.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Willy105
    @MrKlorox said:

" @Willy105 said:

" @MrKlorox said:

It only needs one. No reason to have more than one when just one is more powerful than the Wii. "
    Eh... I hate that the Wii is what we're required to compare this to. "
    It's a great comparison. Since the Gamecube, Nintendo has been trying to get the most power out of the smallest technology. This Tegra chip will allow more than what the Wii could do at a quarter of the size. The Wii is very powerful for it's size, remember the DVD drive it uses takes up 2 of the 3 DVD cases it's measured by.

@kingkorn69 said:

" PSP is over!  It is crap and no one I know even has one anymore!  Long live Nintendo and there handhelds.  I don't think in my lifetime anyone will over take them at that! "

Nintendo actually says Apple's iPhone is their biggest competitor.

@Brendan said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    What are you smoking? "
    I've seen comments on this site from people that claim Borderlands has worse graphics than a PS1 game...and they were serious.  Don't even question the craziness. "

People just don't realize that it actually takes up a whole lot of processing power to generate cartoon-like visuals. One of the reasons Wind Waker was cel-shaded was because it was actually possible in real-time for the first time.

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " The thing that doesn't impress me is the fact that the tech demo never had more than one enemy on at a time. "

Well, the tech demo was running at HD. Lower the resolution to a handheld screen and you will get more out of it. Remember the impressive part is not he enemy but the image quality. Full blown lighting with shaders at 60 fps at HD.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Willy105: You're right, which is exactly why a dual chip system would be that much better. Especially if the screen itself will have up to 1280x720 pixels. That's a sizeable device even at a super tiny pixel size.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By captain_clayman
    @MrKlorox said:
    lol, no it's in sli  *sarcasm*

still, this looks SWEET for handheld
    better than PSP IMO
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Alexander

It would be refreshing to see Nintendo put out a product with an even mildly impressive level of graphical performance. That video demonstration was pretty good, shows a definite narrowing of the gap between what can be done on mobile devices and home systems.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Willy105
    @MrKlorox said:

" You're right, which is exactly why a dual chip system would be that much better. Especially if the screen itself will have up to 1280x720 pixels. That's a sizeable device even at a super tiny pixel size. "

Well, unless I am mistaken, HD screens the size the palm of your hand don't exist. So it means it's HD capable, but I doubt it's actually going to use it's power to make a game display in HD. It's going to use it for something else that is more important, like maybe physics or detail.

@Alexander said:
    " It would be refreshing to see Nintendo put out a product with an even mildly impressive level of graphical performance. That video demonstration was pretty good, shows a definite narrowing of the gap between what can be done on mobile devices and home systems. "

You act as if Nintendo hasn't been the leader in technological and graphical advancements in the 20 years before the Wii.
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nintendude
    @Brendan said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:

What are you smoking? "
    I've seen comments on this site from people that claim Borderlands has worse graphics than a PS1 game...and they were serious.  Don't even question the craziness. " 
    That's quite nuts, color of the model skins shouldn't really matter. 

@Alexander

said:

" It would be refreshing to see Nintendo put out a product with an even mildly impressive level of graphical performance. That video demonstration was pretty good, shows a definite narrowing of the gap between what can be done on mobile devices and home systems. "

They used to have really high end stuff in their previous console and handheld devices. Will be really great to see them returning with the power, hopefully more frequent "hardcore" releases will follow (I kinda hate the way which Wii has gone).
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MeierTheRed

Thats pretty nice, thanks for the link.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By oldschool
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    What are you smoking? "
    Leave him be, he is just a 13 year kid with a fetish for having sex with anime characters.  What do you expect  ^_^ 

I just hope that the games continue to be developed from the ground up for a handheld and not just ports of other games, which is the biggest problem (amongst many) for the PSP.  Nintendo will do it right, but you can't trust lazy developers.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I think Tegra will mean more ports, not less sadly.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " I think Tegra will mean more ports, not less sadly. "
    I do share that fear.  It is the beauty of the DS that it just doesn't lend itself to blind ports.  Sure, it does lend itself to cheap crap shovelware, but  there is so much great stuff, it is easy to navigate past it.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Skald
    @Willy105 said: 
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    In HD and 60 fps? Most PSP games don't seem to go above 20. You know I'm right. I play PSP. "
    Have you seen his mini bio? 

Whatever. 

Anyway, the DS had really, truly, completely, downright ugly 3D graphics. A Nintendo handheld with some horsepower behind it is sure to be a winner.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " I think Tegra will mean more ports, not less sadly. "
    I do share that fear.  It is the beauty of the DS that it just doesn't lend itself to blind ports.  Sure, it does lend itself to cheap crap shovelware, but  there is so much great stuff, it is easy to navigate past it. "
    True enough.  One upside is that next gen phone games may actually be direct ports of next gen DS games.  That potential pleases me.  Then from another perspective, it also means that nvidia may have even more money to throw out at least two more high end 3D PCI-e chipsets.  Unless, of course, they see it fiscally as a dead end.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oldschool
    @extremeradical said:
    " @Willy105 said: 
     Anyway, the DS had really, truly, completely, downright ugly 3D graphics. A Nintendo handheld with some horsepower behind it is sure to be a winner. "
    I wouldn't say they were truly ugly, but 2D is generally better.  I would be happy with Gamecube quality graphics to be honest.  Any of the great Gamecube games on a handheld, redone to suit short play would be a nice start.  I still fear that a straight and sloppy port is more likely to happen.   

I can't wait to be play Super Smash Bros in 3D on a handheld  ^-^
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox

Sadly with Nintendo's stance on online play, it doesn't look like cloud computing/graphics are coming this next generation to Nintendo's handheld. Hopefully it won't be needed, but there's something special to me about playing full console/PC games at maximum settings from the toilet using the internet. Then again OnLive hasn't been proven to the consumer at average network speeds. 

It might still be future tech after all.

But there's always local-remote cloud computation such as Remote Play between PS3 and PSP ... if only the PSP had the correct input interface. Then again PSP Go allows PS3 controller via bluetooth so it might get better on that front forcing Nintendo to readjust. Unlikely though.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skald
    @oldschool said:
    " I can't wait to be play Super Smash Bros in 3D on a handheld  ^-^ "
    Yes. 

But I stand by my convictions: the DS was suited to 2D graphics.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oldschool
    @extremeradical said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Yes.  But I stand by my convictions: the DS was suited to 2D graphics. "
    I would say, "better suited" to 2D.  It isn't as if it fails, but the games I play the most are 2D, especially RPG and strategy.
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    What are you smoking? "
    Leave him be, he is just a 13 year kid with a fetish for having sex with anime characters.  What do you expect  ^_^  I just hope that the games continue to be developed from the ground up for a handheld and not just ports of other games, which is the biggest problem (amongst many) for the PSP.  Nintendo will do it right, but you can't trust lazy developers. "
    Knock it off, now you're not even trying.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Skald
    @oldschool said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @oldschool said:
    I would say, "better suited" to 2D.  It isn't as if it fails, but the games I play the most are 2D, especially RPG and strategy. "
    You're right. The 3D games are competent, but not great looking.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    What are you smoking? "
    Leave him be, he is just a 13 year kid with a fetish for having sex with anime characters.  What do you expect  ^_^  I just hope that the games continue to be developed from the ground up for a handheld and not just ports of other games, which is the biggest problem (amongst many) for the PSP.  Nintendo will do it right, but you can't trust lazy developers. "
    Knock it off, now you're not even trying. "
    Trying what? You make no sense.
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMustacheHero said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    What are you smoking? "
    Knock it off, now you're not even trying. "
    Trying what? You make no sense. "
    To insult me, his insults are pathetic.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @extremeradical said:

" @oldschool said:

" @extremeradical said:
    " @oldschool said:
    I would say, "better suited" to 2D.  It isn't as if it fails, but the games I play the most are 2D, especially RPG and strategy. "
    You're right. The 3D games are competent, but not great looking. "
    You know, that basically defines all Nintendo games with four main exceptions : Lylat Wars, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy and the 3D Metroids.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox

You know they're gonna come out with the Tegra T model so they can call it the N-Tegra-T.

Click this button.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ

That footage is exciting. My head is going wild with all the possibilities. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.