Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Wii & DS better than a trip to McDonalds.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Read Full Story >>  (source) 

Kids may gobble up junk food, but it seems they love playing with Nintendo devices even more.

Out of the 100 most loved brands for America's children and tweens, the Nintendo Wii  and DS scored the first and second spots, according to a report by research firm  Smarty Pants .

The survey " Young Love " found that even tempting snacks like Oreos and M&Ms trailed behind the Nintendo gear, taking the third and fifth spots in the list, respectively. Other techie items loved by 6- to 12-year-olds included the  iPod  at number 12, Sony's Playstation at 14, YouTube at 36, and Microsoft's  Xbox  at 42.

Kids participate in more than $500 billion in consumer spending each year, according to Smarty Pants, and their parents consider their favorites when buying everything from snacks to entertainment, both of which popped up heavily on the list.

"From Crayola to iPod, kids' most loved brands are familiar, iconic brands that delight kids and parents with variety, value, family-friendly content, and simple pleasures," Smarty Pants President Wynne Tyree said in a statement. "Interestingly, the top brands are not traditional 'for kids only' brands; in fact, many are not marketed directly to kids."

To compile the report, Smarty Pants questioned 4,700 American kids and their parents online over a period of nine months. Covered in the survey were more than 260 consumer brands across 20 different product categories.

The brands that kids liked most, said SmartyPants, were the ones that offered high-quality family time, age-appropriate content, parent-approved indulgence, variety/choice, "cool" accessibility, and chatter-worthy advertising.

I agree.  I would rather have Nintendo than anything else on that list - but I am not a kid though. 

Oreos are shit biscuits by the way  ^-^ 

I am doubting there will be much support here though - what say you?
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

Skittles are that low? That's a damn shame.

basal1sk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By basal1sk

skittles are way better than m&m's
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hitchenson
    @basal1sk said:
    " skittles are way better than m&m's "
    You're crazy.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool

I can't believe Kraft Mac & Cheese is that high.  You Americans have shit tastes in food - no offence, but goddamn.

basal1sk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By basal1sk
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @basal1sk said:
    " skittles are way better than m&m's "
    You're crazy. "

oh i'm crazy i'll show you crazy lunchables are better than macaroni cheese  
    how do you like that crazy
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Karmum
    @oldschool: 
    I agree -- Skittles are way too law. Why is an iPod on that list, too? This list (excluding the first two entries), disgusts me. :(
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

I love that list  :), apart from where Mc D's is placed : ( ...it's worrying stuff.  

I love my Oreo's also... 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I love that list  :), apart from where Mc D's is placed : ( ...it's worrying stuff.   I love my Oreo's also...  "
    Dude, why?  England has some of the best biscuits in the world and Oreos seem so ordinary.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Willy105

About time Nintendo got the kid market. It was just embarrassing when Nintendo did their best to gather all the kids with the Gamecube, and all the kids went to play Playstation.

Also, McDonalds sucks.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " About time Nintendo got the kid market. It was just embarrassing when Nintendo did their best to gather all the kids with the Gamecube, and all the kids went to play Playstation.  Also, McDonalds sucks. "
    My kids only ever ate McDonalds when I was staying at Disneyland 9 years ago.  It was their first and last time.  They (at 5 & 7) made us promise never to make them eat McDonalds again.  I haven't eaten it since then either and even then, that was the first time in over 10 years.  I don't like the corporation or their food.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

So, according to children: 

Mac and Cheese>Playstation>Reese's 

I'm sorry, but these kids got this list hella backwards.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @oldschool said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" I love that list  :), apart from where Mc D's is placed : ( ...it's worrying stuff.   I love my Oreo's also...  "
    Dude, why?  England has some of the best biscuits in the world and Oreos seem so ordinary. "

True, we do indeed have fine biscuits here. Our love of Tea has played a role in that. 

An old girlfriend got me into them some years ago... Perhaps me using the word love was inappropriate, but I saw they pipped McDonalds to third place, so I went with love :) 

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By eirikr

Two Oreos (particularly double stuffed) + glass of milk + 30 seconds dumped into milk = God damn, I've already eaten half the package.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Afroman269

poor lunchables

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    Dude, why?  England has some of the best biscuits in the world and Oreos seem so ordinary. "
     True, we do indeed have fine biscuits here. Our love of Tea has played a role in that.   An old girlfriend got be into them some years ago... Perhaps me using the word love was inappropriate, but I saw that they pipped McDonalds to third place, so I went with love :) "
    Hob Nobs and Choccie Digestives! Yeah you guys make the best biscuits in the world!
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Marzy

Custard Creams and Bourbons are my favourite and a good Chocolate Digestive.

I've never been that keen on McDonald's, personally.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
     True, we do indeed have fine biscuits here. Our love of Tea has played a role in that.   An old girlfriend got be into them some years ago... Perhaps me using the word love was inappropriate, but I saw that they pipped McDonalds to third place, so I went with love :) "
    Hob Nobs and Choccie Digestives! Yeah you guys make the best biscuits in the world! "
    I am sure there are plenty of good ones.  I think Australian biscuits (Arnotts) are excellent as well, and much like English ones.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    Popeye's has the best biscuits in the world.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By VWGTI
    @MAN_FLANNEL: 

lol, so true.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @oldschool: If that's the case then I must try them when I get the chance. I found Oreo's along with other American biscuits (or cookies and crackers?) to be pretty bland or just plain horrible. I don't know how much you like biscuits but these guys seem to have tried each and every one of 'em.

Back on topic! Skittles are low? Lower then M&Ms? You kids don't know your sweets!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @oldschool: If that's the case then I must try them when I get the chance. I found Oreo's along with other American biscuits (or cookies and crackers?) to be pretty bland or just plain horrible. I don't know how much you like biscuits but these guys seem to have tried each and every one of 'em.  Back on topic! Skittles are low? Lower then M&Ms? You kids don't know your sweets! "
    Spreadable biscuits?  Good god man, what will they think of next  ^-^  
    How do you dip your spread in you tea, coffee or hot chocolate?

I saw in that article about Kit Kat and it is a biscuit and I may be involved in selling them for a living.  Peanut Butter Kit Kat was much better than I thought it would be.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @oldschool: I don't dip stuff in my tea! Spread or biscuits! Don't like that soggy feeling. Plus I'm shit at dipping biscuits. I just can't do it. Then again I only dip Rich Tea Biscuits.

I thought the Peanut Butter Kit Kat was too salty for it's own good. Then again most peanut butter based snacks can't seem to nail the taste right. Speaking of peanut butter, I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for the first time last week. Meh, nothing special, just a little messy.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ

Damn, higher than Oreos? Even among adults, praise doesn't get much higher than that

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @oldschool: I don't dip stuff in my tea! Spread or biscuits! Don't like that soggy feeling. Plus I'm shit at dipping biscuits. I just can't do it. Then again I only dip Rich Tea Biscuits.  I thought the Peanut Butter Kit Kat was too salty for it's own good. Then again most peanut butter based snacks can't seem to nail the taste right. Speaking of peanut butter, I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for the first time last week. Meh, nothing special, just a little messy. "
    I generally don't drink hot drinks (never coffee or tea), but sucking your Milo (hot chocolate) through a Tim Tam (chocolate wafer biscuit) is awesome.  You could do it with other chocolate biscuits.  A Tim Tam Slam is what is called:   Tim Tam Slam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 

Americans love peanut butter.  When I was there 9 years ago, it seemed like they had it in everything.  I am not so keen on it.  I was a sceptic when the Kit Kat Peanut Butter was released, but it surprised me.  It bombed badly in the market however and I mean REALLY bombed. 

Now I feel like a peanut butter and banana sandwich.  You no what, forget the peanut butter.  And forget the sandwich.  I will just have the banana  :-)
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @oldschool said:
    "A Tim Tam Slam is what is called:   Tim Tam Slam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  Americans love peanut butter.  When I was there 9 years ago, it seemed like they had it in everything. Now I feel like a peanut butter and banana sandwich.  You no what, forget the peanut butter.  And forget the sandwich.  I will just have the banana  :-) "
    Tim Tam Slam? Is the biscuit hollow in the centre?  I'm probably missing something. I'll probably try it out as long as I can find a TimTam round here parts. When I was younger I did the same thing with wafer straws that Kellog's released. It was fun drinking milk through a wafer straw but at the same time I thought "What the fuck am I doing? This is stupid!". It was fun though.

You know what? I'm going to have banana as well! :D
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @oldschool said:
    "A Tim Tam Slam is what is called:   Tim Tam Slam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  Americans love peanut butter.  When I was there 9 years ago, it seemed like they had it in everything. Now I feel like a peanut butter and banana sandwich.  You no what, forget the peanut butter.  And forget the sandwich.  I will just have the banana  :-) "
    Tim Tam Slam? Is the biscuit hollow in the centre?  I'm probably missing something. I'll probably try it out as long as I can find a TimTam round here parts. When I was younger I did the same thing with wafer straws that Kellog's released. It was fun drinking milk through a wafer straw but at the same time I thought "What the fuck am I doing? This is stupid!". It was fun though.  You know what? I'm going to have banana as well! :D "
    The Tim Tam has a wafer centre and a cream between the layers.  They make them in different flavours.  You are basically sucking that cream through with your drink.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By grilledcheez

I could really go for some skittles right now... 

I personally think that's great that McD's isn't at the top and video game related brands are.  Kids now would rather play games than jam chicken nuggets down their throats!

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lunchables at 25?  Man I remember when lunch time in elementary school was all about the lunchables.  My personal favorite was the original pizza lunchables, two different kinds of cheese (possibly the colors were the only difference).  But what sold me on those was the pizza sauce after making the pizzas downing the sauce was great.  Ahhh memories....

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Love how the ignorant fucks that made the poll call PS2/PSP/PS3 "Playstation." What the fuck is this 2004 all over again? Pick one! Or at least combine DS and Wii!
    basal1sk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By basal1sk

wow this has turned into a bicuits thread
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @basal1sk said:
    " wow this has turned into a bicuits thread "
    mmmmmmm bicuits. 

Nothing wrong with that. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.