Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

Play Origin Games Offline, Even If You’re Banned

• 62 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Origin remains a controversial point in EA's movement towards a digitally focused future.
    Origin remains a controversial point in EA's movement towards a digitally focused future.

For a while now, if you got banned from Electronic ArtsOrigin service (and, sometimes, even their message boards), you might also find yourself unable to access the single-player content from the games you’ve purchased. That rubbed people the wrong way, and EA has apparently worked out the backend hiccups to fix it.

Cinema Blend received a notification from EA about an update to Origin policy that notes “offline content” will now be available by enabling an offline mode within Origin. Read it in full here.

“If you find yourself with a disabled account, please note that you can still play EA games in single-player mode. For PC games you will need to enable Origin's offline mode to play games with a disabled account. Go to the settings tab in Origin (the gear icon) and select Go Offline.”

Getting banned isn’t a scenario most users will find themselves in, but besides the broader philosophical issues, banning mistakes do happen, and to find yourself unable to play the games you bought sounds incredibly frustrating.

It’s easy to forget nobody really liked Steam when it originally launched alongside Half-Life 2, but the service has come a long way since then, and Steam has since raised expectations for digital delivery services to the point that when Electronic Arts decided to get into the game with Origin, its missteps have been rightly criticized.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

For a while now, if you got banned from Electronic ArtsOrigin service (and, sometimes, even their message boards), you might also find yourself unable to access the single-player content from the games you’ve purchased. That rubbed people the wrong way, and EA has apparently worked out the backend hiccups to fix it.

Cinema Blend received a notification from EA about an update to Origin policy that notes “offline content” will now be available by enabling an offline mode within Origin. Read it in full here.

“If you find yourself with a disabled account, please note that you can still play EA games in single-player mode. For PC games you will need to enable Origin's offline mode to play games with a disabled account. Go to the settings tab in Origin (the gear icon) and select Go Offline.”

Getting banned isn’t a scenario most users will find themselves in, but besides the broader philosophical issues, banning mistakes do happen, and to find yourself unable to play the games you bought sounds incredibly frustrating.

It’s easy to forget nobody really liked Steam when it originally launched alongside Half-Life 2, but the service has come a long way since then, and Steam has since raised expectations for digital delivery services to the point that when Electronic Arts decided to get into the game with Origin, its missteps have been rightly criticized.

Nautilus1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nautilus1515

Probably cause of worst company in America rating...

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akyho

Seem strange EA being nice about this. Have fans really hurt EA now? We have seen it in the past and EA actually Repent. Lets hope this is a golden age were EA bucks up....again.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

cool, i might try Origin now

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akyho

@Dagbiker: So you expected to be banned? Since modding a game on origin counts as fiddling with the content and will ban you. So yes its likely to happen. If no mp games you w\nt come out on origin only, your golden if you dont care about mp.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mister_V

I think the lesson we should all take from this is to stay away from the EA message boards.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

Thank god for small miracles? That still doesn't explain why my conduct on a forum should be tied to my ability to play an online game, though.

Also, what's the deal with Cinema Blend getting all these EA and BBB report scoops lately?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

@Reuters said:

The embattled game publisher's stock has shed close to 40 percent of its value since November. E.A. shares were down 5 percent at $15.30 in midday trading on Monday.

Isn't November about the time that Origin came out...

Good move on EA's part anyway.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

Wow, EA actually did something nice?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mister_V

@Kidavenger said:

@Reuters said:

The embattled game publisher's stock has shed close to 40 percent of its value since November. E.A. shares were down 5 percent at $15.30 in midday trading on Monday.

Origin was launched in June i think.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn

@Mister_V said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Reuters said:

Yeah, you're right. Battlefield 3 was the first big push for Origin, but the service had been up for months before. You needed it for the open beta.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Mister_V said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Reuters said:

Technically Origin was launched years ago, it was just under a different name - the EA Download Manager. The fundamentals of the program haven't changed, they just rebranded it and marketed it a lot more.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jumbs

It still crashes every time I open the overlay in a game. Terrible piece of software.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mister_V

@MattyFTM said:

@Mister_V said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Reuters said:

Technically Origin was launched years ago, it was just under a different name - the EA Download Manager. The fundamentals of the program haven't changed, they just rebranded it and marketed it a lot more.

WHAT!!! the origins of Origin... Then whats the origins of origins origin... ARRRGHHHHHH!!!!

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By doobie

@Jumbs said:

It still crashes every time I open the overlay in a game. Terrible piece of software.

so does it crash for everyone that uses it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Nautilus1515 said:

Voted on an internet poll.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By xbob42

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Nautilus1515 said:

It's an internet world, baby.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By dr_mantas

I kinda like Origin, haven't had any problems.

Of course, the hate from internets and constant need to catch up to Steam makes it an even better service. Which is good for consumers.

For me, it runs much smoother than Steam.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Seedofpower

I think they did this less about public appearance and more about the competition. They already know that their service isn't any where near where it should be to compete with Valve. They gotta do what they can to seem like a better alternative. Seriously though, an offline mode should have been in place from the start.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

This sounds less like they worked out a problem on the back end and more like some kind of sloppy fix. Reading the headline, I honestly thought it was some kind of trick somebody had discovered, not some officially sanctioned EA solution.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By paulunga

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Nautilus1515 said:

Yep. Because who cares about killing America's economy or indebting millions of students, making nerds angry is clearly worse.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seedofpower

@paulunga said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Nautilus1515 said:

Yep. Because who cares about killing America's economy or indebting millions of students, making nerds angry is clearly worse.

No there just happens to more of us on the internet where the poll is taking place. Now if it happened to help maybe at a all public libraries nation way, the results would be wayyyy different.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrangryface

This will greatly affect the 5 game library I have

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dr_mantas said:

I kinda like Origin, haven't had any problems.

Of course, the hate from internets and constant need to catch up to Steam makes it an even better service. Which is good for consumers.

For me, it runs much smoother than Steam.

Valve: Beloved company

EA: "Worst company" and nerd-rage attractor

It's easy to see that the general mass will take this perspective and thus judge the services the same way.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Amducious

Have they changed the terms and conditions to opt out of the spyware shit side of Origin yet?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By spazmaster666

Interestingly I was able to play Origin games offline even without enabling this mode. My broadband was out for a couple of days and I still was able to play ME3 just fine. It just took forever for the game to start but after it loaded I was able to play without issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@MattyFTM said:

@Mister_V said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Reuters said:

Oh God the Download Manager. Say what you want about Origin and business policy, but at least Origin works.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkdragonmage99

yay they finally allow you to use the items you payed for wait a second why was it ever possible for them to not 

mikular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mikular

Wait, I can now play the games on my hard drive without an Inter Net connection?

What a marvellous idea!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Clonedzero

well its good that they're fixing issues it has and listening to why people dont like it.

the blind EA hate is out of control. i mean theres valid reasons to hate them, but damn!

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Talis12

no matter what EA does to make Origin better.. i will always dislike them for forcibly splitting up my game library. even if it's just a handful of games

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spitznock

Am I the only one who thinks there should be bigger repercussions for misbehaving in an online environment? Wouldn't removing the ability for the wrong kinds of people to play games with or against individuals who know how to act be a good thing?

Coming from someone who finds the need to disable voice chat (as well as text when available) when playing multiplayer against random people online, imagine a world where you could go into a multiplayer gaming session without having to hear people assault and insult one another.

Maybe the individual on the other end of the mic would think twice about what they say when spouting endless profanities and the like could prevent them from playing that game not only in a multiplayer setting, but single player as well.

If you purchase a product, you're entitled to use it, sure, but I believe there are limits, and I'm not sure why the internet is given a free pass when someone says or does something socially unacceptable in our society.

If Origin were to ban offensive people from playing their available games, I for one would absolutely favor Origin over other online platforms, because the greater majority of the time, the folks who inhabit those games won't be intolerable idiots.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

Meanwhile, Steam still locks you out if you have your account disabled. Or did that policy also change?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Skald

Origin isn't particularly bad- it's just immature compared to the more fully featured Steam. Besides, multiple platforms help prevent monopoly or monopsony.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Marz

This was probably the only thing i was worried about using Origin and EA in general.  Glad they reconsidered changing their stance on this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Some part of me feels as if this should never been an issue from the start,.....

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By linkster7

That's good, a small step on the road to a better Origin.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By tourgen

oh wow. how generous of them to let you use something you paid money for.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bunny_Fire

still don't trust origin i have a copy of battlefield 3 sitting and gathering dust still in the plastic wrapping. EA, Ubisoft, company's like that i don't have a lot of trust for. I know i wont get banned from anything but its the amount of power they have to screw you over is what i don't like.

ILuvMsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ILuvMsMarvel

I still think the EA Download Manager was a much better program, Origin has sucked since day one.

Got Mass Effect 3 on release date and have yet to be able to install it because of Origin, customer "support" sucks worse than a binary black hole system. They can "fix" Origin all they want, I will never buy anything that requires you use it again.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mrpandaman

@Skald said:

Origin isn't particularly bad- it's just immature compared to the more fully featured Steam. Besides, multiple platforms help prevent monopoly or monopsony.

Monopsony?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Enigma777

@MrKlorox said:

Meanwhile, Steam still locks you out if you have your account disabled. Or did that policy also change?

How dare you say anything bad about Steam!

RAGE!!!!!

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By piropeople13

Hey maybe they'll get it right eventually.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By viking_funeral

@tourgen said:

oh wow. how generous of them to let you use something you paid money for.

Certainly took them long enough. 9 months?

When Origin lets me pay American dollars for English language games when I'm living abroad, then I'll give the service the chance. It didn't even have the right language for the 9 months I was in Switzerland after Origin came out. (And because these always turn into Steam -VS- Origin arguments in the comments, yes, Steam let me do that. It was that little part of home, a long with sites like Giant Bomb, that kept me from getting homesick).

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By obinice

If I'm banned from being naked in public I expect to still be allowed to be naked in private. Anything less is just stupid. This problem should have never occurred.

cavemantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cavemantom

Is a month enough time for Blizzard to similarly alter their policy on Diablo 3?

I'm getting real sick of companies jumping the gun on internet services. Quality broadband still isn't ubiquitous, by any measure, and the even shadier business practices of the ISP conglomerates aren't going to make it so any time soon.

These jerks need to stop pretending like we're already plugged in to the Matrix.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pinworm45

When EA does it: Shameful business practice.

When Blizzard does it with D3: Well, you shouldn't have gotten banned then!

Predictable internet.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Branthog

Oh, how wonderful, Origin. *yawn*

I finally decided to get back into BF3. It's a large download. On Steam, it would probably take two to four hours.

On Origin, it is currently at 30% after almost five hours.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Branthog

@mrpandaman said:

@Skald said:

Monopsony?

Not really.

All of the content across all of the platforms would help with that. Dividing them up so that some platforms get some and others get others does not. All it does is mean you either go without some stuff or you end up with Steam, Origin, Impulse, Direct2Drive, Desura, and GOG's client all installed and running and multiple accounts and credentials and libraries of game and all of that endless mind-searing bullshit.

The online distributors need to be more like stores. You can buy a Snickers Bar at 7-11, Safeway, Target, Albertsons, Kingsoopers, Plaid Pantry, CVS, Walmart, and every other fucking place on the planet. You get to choose what store you like doing your shopping at, but you can still get the fucking product at all of them.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

EA mentioned, rage levels increasing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.