Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Honesty and Greenlight. Do you participate?

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By reisz

Steam Greenlight; a great idea (as I see it) right from the beginning, (even when it was just boobs and mods) has already gone through a few changes. What are you all doing with it now that it's off and running? ignoring it completely? Voting every day?

The way I see it it's a pretty cool way of opening up the process to the community and I tend to vote on a couple of complete queues a week. When they changed the language of the question a while back from "Do you think this game deserves to be on steam?" Yes/No to "Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?" Yes/No I took it literally and started voting down far more games than I had before. Once that perspective change had happened I started to take into account things like my genre preference and how much the story/art appealed to me specifically rather than objectively looking at a games quality.

I can't help but feel a little scroogey when I vote down a game that despite looking like it deserves to be on Steam; i would never buy. Though I figure in the long run if enough people are voting the cream will rise, so for now I'm sticking to my guns. For those of you that participate in Greenlight; how do you look at it?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I go there from time to time and tell Valve which games I'd buy if they were on Steam. There are times when I go there not so much looking for new titles, but going to vote on a game that I know is up for votes - like with Octodad.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Maajin

The first game I voted for was Kentucky Route Zero. Pretty stoked about it.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By L44

There is a lot of garbage on there though.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By reisz

@Maajin said:

The first game I voted for was Kentucky Route Zero. Pretty stoked about it.

Nice one, I just picked up the pack a couple of days ago I'd love to see it on Steam.

@L44 said:

There is a lot of garbage on there though.

Yeah there really is, kind of surprising considering the $100 buy in, market research people!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

I've voted on about 700 games, most of that was the first week it was up; once I hit 500ish, the queue broke and they just started showing me random games, many that I had already voted on so it became more of a chore and I only check it out maybe once a month now.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DizzyMedal

I usually choose to not vote rather than downvote. That seems more like the answer for those games that 'look like ok games, but aren't really my thing'. Of course, it also might be because I'm not entirely sure what downvoting does. Does it decrease from a games overall voting amount, where they have to hit a certain number to get the green light? Or if a game gets enough downvotes, despite how ever many upvotes is it just never going to be accepted?

I really need to read the FAQ again I think.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Since they've instituted the charge for Greenlight, I've given a thumbs up to just about every game I've come across on there.  I guess I'm a sucker, but even if they're craptacular, I'd still like to see all these games get an eventual release just to have the option out there to purchase them - or not.
    hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hacksword

I haven't participated in Greenlight at all.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By NicksCorner

No, I don't use it at all. The only game I ever voted for was the Stanley Parable sequel.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uhtaree

I haven't been doing it since the first weekend it was out, really. I saw the list just growing larger and larger as I went along and just threw my hands up. Besides the overwhelming workload it would be to honestly go through all those games, it seems to me the ones that really have any chance have pundits on twitter and around the web getting the vote out, not just random dudes trying to honest sift through the crushing weight of whats in there.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Azteck

I clicked around to see what stupid simulations people were making and then never did it again. It's completely irrelevant to any of my interests

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hughesman

I looked through Greenlight back when it first launched. Now i pretty much only go there if i hear about the game somewhere else (like Giantbomb) and hear that it's on Greenlight.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By abendlaender

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Since they've instituted the charge for Greenlight, I've given a thumbs up to just about every game I've come across on there. I guess I'm a sucker, but even if they're craptacular, I'd still like to see all these games get an eventual release just to have the option out there to purchase them - or not.

So YOU are responsible for 'WarZ?!

I check Greenlight every now and then and vote for intersting games, but the majority of games there just look boring and awful.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By paulwade1984

I never look at it. I just don't have the time.

Avatar image for ekpyroticuniverse
    Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have voted on around 400 games. I do it while watching videos on giantbomb. I want good games on steam so since I have the ability to make a tiny influence on what might be on steam in the future, I take it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Branthog

I gave up on Steam's Greenlight when they proved they didn't give a shit about quality. Want to sell your 0.8-alpha state game for $15? Great! We'll Greenlight it and we won't even require that it say it's an alpha or beta anywhere! Gladly!

They're completely diluting the value of what they have to offer when they can't bother to vet the stuff they put on their store -- greenlight or not. They don't have to vet every submission. Only the ones they're going to put on the store.

Also, it's an awful lot of shit to go through just to find a few worth voting for. If I see another flash game trying to be pushed as a full Steam game . . .

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Branthog

@DizzyMedal said:

I usually choose to not vote rather than downvote. That seems more like the answer for those games that 'look like ok games, but aren't really my thing'. Of course, it also might be because I'm not entirely sure what downvoting does. Does it decrease from a games overall voting amount, where they have to hit a certain number to get the green light? Or if a game gets enough downvotes, despite how ever many upvotes is it just never going to be accepted?

There isn't a downvote. There's only a "yeah, I'd totally buy this" and a "I'm not interested". You can only impact a submission positively or not at all.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Strife777

I check in every now and then, but good lord there's some crap in there! There is always a good game hidden somwhere though, and I like to contribute to getting it on Steam.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Pie

I only really use it now when a game I stumble on is asking for greenlight votes like Distance or Sub Rosa

Adusrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adusrea

I would use it, but with all the crap you have to filter through it is just too much of a hassle you use.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

@DizzyMedal said:

A no vote has no effect beyond removing the game from your queue and never asking about it again. If you leave the page without voting you're basically saying "I have no opinion on this right now. Show it to me again in the future so I can decide then." Neither method hurts the game's chances any more than the other. It's the yes votes that make the difference

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mellotronrules

i vote for things i hear about from external sources- such as cook serve delicious, super amazing wagon adventure, mcpixel and kentucky route zero from their quick looks. i'd rather see the game in action and hear from a source i trust than just read a synopsis and assume it's well executed.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I've voted for things I care to see on steam like Kentucky Route Zero and Super Amazing Wagon Adventure.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By Mnemoidian

I tend to visit it now and then, though I am pretty harsh on my votes.

Yo, there be a lot of crap in there.

On the other hand, I do push friends to consider the games I do think could be good, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.