Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I Pirate games, so what?

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#151  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I have a sneaking suspicion there's more people on here that  are downloading priated games and music, or are doing so currently. And with the economy like it is, I can only see the problem increasing.  

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By lettuceman44

Except he is.......and people like you is what makes the world not a better place.
    No integrity at all, only about you, right?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Jayge_
    lettuceman44 said:
    "Except he is.......and people like you is what makes the world not a better place.No integrity at all, only about you, right?"
    Because I'm automatically a pirate if I don't agree with a bunch of self-congratulating idiots applying a blanket statement to a huge group of people based on their own propagandized perceptions of those people's actions, right?
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By m1k3

"yarrrr, i be a pirate"

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By lettuceman44
    Jayge said:
    "lettuceman44 said:
    "Except he is.......and people like you is what makes the world not a better place.No integrity at all, only about you, right?"
    Because I'm automatically a pirate if I don't agree with a bunch of self-congratulating idiots applying a blanket statement to a huge group of people based on their own propagandized perceptions of those people's actions, right?"
    Don't see any other reason to support or defend them.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    "lettuceman44 said:
    Because I'm automatically a pirate if I don't agree with a bunch of self-congratulating idiots applying a blanket statement to a huge group of people based on their own propagandized perceptions of those people's actions, right?"
    I love how through this entire thread you have yet to support whatever you are trying to say. You just have been making these condescending comments defending the pirates. Give us a reason to believe you or shut up. 
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Jayge_
    Milkman said:
    "I love how through this entire thread you have yet to support whatever you are trying to say. You just have been making these condescending comments defending the pirates. Give us a reason to believe you or shut up"
    This post made absolutely no sense. Also, I don't take orders from bitchy little 15 year olds :-D

lettuceman44 said:
    "Don't see any other reason to support or defend them."
    Because I support civil liberties and consumer's rights. I don't smoke marijuana but I support its decriminalization. I don't own a gun but I'm in favor of a citizen's right to bare arms. The only game I ever downloaded illegally was Mount and Blade, because the demo restricted my ability to alter some settings that I needed to test out to make sure it ran well on my machine. It didn't run well, so I deleted it and haven't played it since. Other than that, I don't pirate games. I don't pirate music either. I don't need to be a pirate defend pirates.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By Hexpane

You don't need to be a car thief to defend car thieves.

Is home invasion ok too? What about identity theft?  if someone came to the GB boards and said "I steal cars, so what" is that ok?  Do we openly support criminals engaged in theft and loss of property now?   Since when did stealing become ok just because people are not getting caught?

Piracy is basic theft, it's just insanely popular because the laws are difficult to force.  In other parts of the world child rape and human trafficking are very popular because they are hard to police, should people jump on that bandwagon too just because it's "going to happen anyway"? 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Al3xand3r

Piracy isn't theft.

And before you accuse me of anything read my first post in this thread >_>

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Weltal said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

I think Piracy is just due to the lazyness of developers.

No, it's laziness on your part. You don't make enough money to buy the amount of games you think you deserve and refuse to work more to gain the cash to pay for them."
    It's not his fault if the Democrats have anything to say about it! This guy just needs a Video Game Investment Act!
    lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By lettuceman44
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Piracy isn't theft.And before you accuse me of anything read my first post in this thread >_>"
    Actually it is.

n. the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.
    Source

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Jayge_
    lettuceman44 said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "Piracy isn't theft.And before you accuse me of anything read my first post in this thread >_>"
    Actually it is.

n. the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.
    Source"
    I don't see "theft" anywhere in that definition.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, that's the definition of the word piracy, not theft, and it doesn't even mention the word theft in the explanation. Tus, piracy isn't theft as they even have different definitions in dictionaries.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    "I love how through this entire thread you have yet to support whatever you are trying to say. You just have been making these condescending comments defending the pirates. Give us a reason to believe you or shut up"
    This post made absolutely no sense. Also, I don't take orders from bitchy little 15 year olds :-D

lettuceman44 said:
    "Don't see any other reason to support or defend them."
    Because I support civil liberties and consumer's rights. I don't smoke marijuana but I support its decriminalization. I don't own a gun but I'm in favor of a citizen's right to bare arms. The only game I ever downloaded illegally was Mount and Blade, because the demo restricted my ability to alter some settings that I needed to test out to make sure it ran well on my machine. It didn't run well, so I deleted it and haven't played it since. Other than that, I don't pirate games. I don't pirate music either. I don't need to be a pirate defend pirates."
    In other words, you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the argument except "You're wrong. I'm right." Please just go back to the IRC or just anywhere else where you're not wasting our time. 
    Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Jax

Lol. I pirate games because I'm a cheap ass, and I don't game as hardcore as I used to (after having my 100+ collection stolen). I won't sit here and blame anyone but myself. It's free, and easy to do. I might get caught, but it's the risk I run. So what? You can piss over me for all I care because I pirate games, but in the end, it's my choice and I'll live with the consequences.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Jayge_
    Milkman said:
    "In other words, you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the argument except "You're wrong. I'm right." Please just go back to the IRC or just anywhere else where you're not wasting our time. "
    Milkman! Speaker for the collective! I'm sorry, master!
    /sarcasm

I've contributed multiple things to the ongoing discussion in this topic. Mostly pointing out people's stupid double-standards and logic errors. The irony here is that you've done nothing in this thread besides flame other people in your usual ridiculous manner. You're making a fool of yourself at this point. Just stop. It's a little embarrassing to watch.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    "In other words, you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the argument except "You're wrong. I'm right." Please just go back to the IRC or just anywhere else where you're not wasting our time. "
    Milkman! Speaker for the collective! I'm sorry, master!/sarcasmI've contributed multiple things to the ongoing discussion in this topic. Mostly pointing out people's stupid double-standards and logic errors. The irony here is that you've done nothing in this thread besides flame other people in your usual ridiculous manner. You're making a fool of yourself at this point. Just stop. It's a little embarrassing to watch."
    I have yet to see you contribute a single thing to the discussion besides your usual "You guys are stupid. I'm better than you" with absolutely nothing to back it up.  When you explain why piracy is okay, then maybe I can have a serious discussion with you. But until then, we'll just keep talking in circles while you jack yourself off while muttering to yourself how much smart you are than the internet. You're a fucking joke.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#168  Edited By chililili
    Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    Milkman! Speaker for the collective! I'm sorry, master!/sarcasmI've contributed multiple things to the ongoing discussion in this topic. Mostly pointing out people's stupid double-standards and logic errors. The irony here is that you've done nothing in this thread besides flame other people in your usual ridiculous manner. You're making a fool of yourself at this point. Just stop. It's a little embarrassing to watch."
    Yeah I'm gonna jump in the wagon too and kick milkman too! Now that we got that out of the way... wow this thread is more than a month old and people are still flaming each other in it? I have to agree with Jayge that piracy is not the same as stealing.  I've pirated games, but those are games I would never buy anyway so it doesn't count. If say I want to buy Killzone 2 and instead I pirate it, that would I guess constitute as lost revenue for the company. But by large the majority of most games that are pirated are not equal to lost revenue. I find that the current punishment for piracy is unfair and idiotic, this problem will only get worse until people somehow find a way to use the internet to sell more. For me piracy is not a problem until companies do not have enough revenue to produce new properties, which is simply currently not true right now (except on the psp). Something must be done, yes but nothing will be solved by flaming each other in a forum.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Milkman
    chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    Yeah I'm gonna jump in the wagon too and kick milkman too! Now that we got that out of the way... wow this thread is more than a month old and people are still flaming each other in it? I have to agree with Jayge that piracy is not the same as stealing.  I've pirated games, but those are games I would never buy anyway so it doesn't count. If say I want to buy Killzone 2 and instead I pirate it, that would I guess constitute as lost revenue for the company. But by large the majority of most games that are pirated are not equal to lost revenue. I find that the current punishment for piracy is unfair and idiotic, this problem will only get worse until people somehow find a way to use the internet to sell more. For me piracy is not a problem until companies do not have enough revenue to produce new properties, which is simply currently not true right now (except on the psp). Something must be done, yes but nothing will be solved by flaming each other in a forum."
    Once again, as brought up a thousand times in this thread, if you steal a car from a dealership, can you just say "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" and get away with it?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Jayge_
    Milkman said:
    "I have yet to see you contribute a single thing to the discussion besides your usual "You guys are stupid. I'm better than you" with absolutely nothing to back it up.  When you explain why piracy is okay, then maybe I can have a serious discussion with you. But until then, we'll just keep talking in circles while you jack yourself off while muttering to yourself how much smart you are than the internet. You're a fucking joke.

"
    See, the flaming again.

Milkman said:
    "You are a just lazy asshole who has no grasp of money and have never worked a day in your life."
    Milkman said:
    "And if you had the brains to apply any of this to real world, then you would see this plan and clear. But instead you see "THIS FREE! ME GET!""
    Milkman said:
    "You think as soon as someone releases an album they are instantly rich? You're an idiot. "
    Not very niii-iiiiice.

Also, this is just factually wrong:

Milkman said:
    "Tons of developers have said this. It's not just EA. Why do you think Crytek is no longer developing PC exclusives?"
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Milkman

I have absolutely no desire to look through this entire thread but I'll just take a couple from this page.

Jayge said:
    You're making a fool of yourself at this point. Just stop. It's a little embarrassing to watch."
    Jayge said:
     Also, I don't take orders from bitchy little 15 year olds :-D
    Jayge said:
    a bunch of self-congratulating idiots
    Nope, no flaming here.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Jayge_
    Milkman said:
    "I have absolutely no desire to look through this entire thread but I'll just take a couple from this page.

Jayge said:
    You're making a fool of yourself at this point. Just stop. It's a little embarrassing to watch."
    Jayge said:
     Also, I don't take orders from bitchy little 15 year olds :-D
    Jayge said:
    a bunch of self-congratulating idiots
    Nope, no flaming here.
    "
    Nah. Not really. You are a bitchy little 15 year old, most of the people opposing piracy in this thread are self-congratulating idiots, and you *are* making a fool of yourself. Nothing really unreasonable there.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Rorschach
    Milkman said:
    Once again, as brought up a thousand times in this thread, if you steal a car from a dealership, can you just say "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" and get away with it? "
    This pretty much sums up the point well, and should be understood by pretty much everyone. Its really not that difficult. I pull my hair out sometimes wondering how you can use something that doesn't belong to you, that you haven't purchased the right to use, and not call is theft? The lack of a physical stolen object has no bearing on things. As for those people who declare that piracy has no bearing on things, thus doesn't matter, that is beyond ignorant. Just look at how Crytek refuses to make PC exclusives anymore thanks to good ol' piracy. How long do you really think it will be until they stop making PC games all together?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Jayge_
    Rorschach said:
    "Milkman said:
    Once again, as brought up a thousand times in this thread, if you steal a car from a dealership, can you just say "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" and get away with it? "
    This pretty much sums up the point well, and should be understood by pretty much everyone. Its really not that difficult. I pull my hair out sometimes wondering how you can use something that doesn't belong to you, that you haven't purchased the right to use, and not call is theft? The lack of a physical stolen object has no bearing on things. As for those people who declare that piracy has no bearing on things, thus doesn't matter, that is beyond ignorant. Just look at how Crytek refuses to make PC exclusives anymore thanks to good ol' piracy. How long do you really think it will be until they stop making PC games all together?
    "
    You can test drive a car before you buy it. Legally. For free.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    Nah. Not really. You are a bitchy little 15 year old, most of the people opposing piracy in this thread are self-congratulating idiots, and you *are* making a fool of yourself. Nothing really unreasonable there."
    I love the 15 year old thing. Just a quick question, how the hell old are you?
    You sure look about 15 or 16 to meAnd you are a fucking joke. And pirates are lazy assholes. It goes both ways. But once again, like I said, we're just talking in circles and you are still yet to explain why you think piracy is okay. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Jayge_
    Milkman said:
    "Jayge said:
    Nah. Not really. You are a bitchy little 15 year old, most of the people opposing piracy in this thread are self-congratulating idiots, and you *are* making a fool of yourself. Nothing really unreasonable there."
    I love the 15 year old thing. Just a quick question, how the hell old are you?
    You sure look about 15 or 16 to meAnd you are a fucking joke. And pirates are lazy assholes. It goes both ways. But once again, like I said, we're just talking in circles and you are still yet to explain why you think piracy is okay. 

"
    17. And many years more mature than you :-D (edit: the picture is a few years old by the way, so... good job!)

And I just did explain why it's OK. Look at the post above you.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Rorschach
    Jayge said:
    You can test drive a car before you buy it. Legally. For free."
    Sure, that's totally reasonable. But when you decide halfway through that test drive that "Hey, this is a mighty nice car, i think i'll just take it home and keep it. Oh, and not pay for it.", you get into some problems. What your argument is advocating is demos, not piracy. 
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Jayge_
    Rorschach said:
    "Jayge said:
    Sure, that's totally reasonable. But when you decide halfway through that test drive that "Hey, this is a mighty nice car, i think i'll just take it home and keep it. Oh, and not pay for it.", you get into some problems. What your argument is advocating is demos, not piracy. 
    "
    Or demos through piracy, where a demo has not been provided. Read the OP. That's all he's doing.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Jayge said:
    "The only game I ever downloaded illegally was Mount and Blade, because the demo restricted my ability to alter some settings that I needed to test out to make sure it ran well on my machine. It didn't run well, so I deleted it and haven't played it since."

You also lied at least once in your account there, and I remember someone else suggesting that you have pirated before. I wont make accusations that I can't support, so I wont question your credibility further than that.

Also, you're arguing that because some car vendors allow test drives, it is reasonable to assume that customers have a right to test any products before they buy them. Rights are defined by law, and apparently there is no such law for software. For someone who apparently values logic, you don't seem to think very logically.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    "Rorschach said:
    "Milkman said:
    "
    Oh yeah! Because that makes perfect sense. So, if all games had demos, people wouldn't pirate games? Maybe in Fantasy Town, USA. But in reality, that doesn't solve shit.
    Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Jax
    Milkman said:
    "chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    Yeah I'm gonna jump in the wagon too and kick milkman too! Now that we got that out of the way... wow this thread is more than a month old and people are still flaming each other in it? I have to agree with Jayge that piracy is not the same as stealing.  I've pirated games, but those are games I would never buy anyway so it doesn't count. If say I want to buy Killzone 2 and instead I pirate it, that would I guess constitute as lost revenue for the company. But by large the majority of most games that are pirated are not equal to lost revenue. I find that the current punishment for piracy is unfair and idiotic, this problem will only get worse until people somehow find a way to use the internet to sell more. For me piracy is not a problem until companies do not have enough revenue to produce new properties, which is simply currently not true right now (except on the psp). Something must be done, yes but nothing will be solved by flaming each other in a forum."

A car costs money to produce because of the materials. A video game, once uploaded to the internet is simply data from an ISO. It can be copied and pasted 100000x and cost the developers nothing.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Rorschach
    Jayge said:
    "Rorschach said:
    "Jayge said:
    "
    Or demos through piracy, where a demo has not been provided. Read the OP. That's all he's doing."
    Nah, the OP is advocating piracy because he can't play a demo. He can't figure out which game might be any good to spend his dollars on (see: reviews, such as those on this very site.) so he believes that not paying at all is a better idea. The OP can advocate demos all he wants, and I'll get behind him, sign a petition, wave a flag, whatever. But stealing a whole game, just to see what its like? Nope, no thanks.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    "Jayge said:
    "The only game I ever downloaded illegally was Mount and Blade, because the demo restricted my ability to alter some settings that I needed to test out to make sure it ran well on my machine. It didn't run well, so I deleted it and haven't played it since."
    You also lied at least once in your account there, and I remember someone else suggesting that you have pirated before. I wont make accusations that I can't support, so I wont question your credibility further than that.Also, you're arguing that because some car vendors allow test drives, it is reasonable to assume that customers have a right to test any products before they buy them. Rights are defined by law, and apparently there is no such law for software. For someone who apparently values logic, you don't seem to think very logically."
    I didn't lie, and I don't know how anyone else would know better than I do what I download and what I don't.

As for rights "being defined by law", that's not exactly true. You don't have only what rights are given to you by laws. It is assumed in the Constitution that any right not restricted by the law is available to any citizen in full. That doesn't matter much though, because pirating games is technically against the law. Either way, I don't really give a shit. The "buyer beware" market is horseshit. It is reasonable to assume that customers have a right to test any products before they buy them. That's why you can try on clothing in stores, get taste samples of ice cream, view and listen to a TV in the store, test out cell phones, mice, keyboards, try on shoes, read books at the bookstore before you buy them, lay down on a mattress at Sleepy's, etc. On the non-physical side of things, you can listen to music on the radio, YouTube, iTunes (in 30 second previews), you can watch previews of TV shows (and lots of times the entire show), get previews of articles written as subscriber content before you subscribe, etc. So yes. It is definitely reasonable to assume that a customer should be entitled to the right to try a product before they commit large sums of money to purchasing it.

Rorschach said:
    "Nah, the OP is advocating piracy because he can't play a demo. He can't figure out which game might be any good to spend his dollars on (see: reviews, such as those on this very site.) so he believes that not paying at all is a better idea. The OP can advocate demos all he wants, and I'll get behind him, sign a petition, wave a flag, whatever. But stealing a whole game, just to see what its like? Nope, no thanks."
    When I said read the OP, see, I meant *read* it. He is advocating piracy to test out games as a demo function because a game doesn't have a demo. He buys the games he likes, and deletes the games he doesn't like. And he does buy his games. And again, piracy isn't stealing.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Milkman
    Jax said:
    "Milkman said:
    "chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    A car costs money to produce because of the materials. A video game, once uploaded to the internet is simply data from an ISO. It can be copied and pasted 100000x and cost the developers nothing. "
    So what? Video game designers need to get paid too. Just because its easy doesn't make it right. Think of it like a movie. If someone makes a movie and 1 person films a bootleg and then distributes it to everyone else, the makers of that film are not getting paid for their work, even though money is not being directly taken out of their pockets. Same deal with video game makers. 
    MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By MrRedwine

Thievery is thievery.  You're not going to starve without that game, so go without it if you're not willing to pay for it.  No justification you can give will make what you do right.

You shall not steal.  (Exodus 20:15)

I think in many parts of the world, they cut off the fingers of thieves.  Try playing your PC games that way.

There are many laws that are debatable, but stealing isn't one of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jax said:
    "Milkman said:
    "chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    A car costs money to produce because of the materials. A video game, once uploaded to the internet is simply data from an ISO. It can be copied and pasted 100000x and cost the developers nothing. "

Development costs quite a good deal, and such costs are only apart of the issue. More relevant is copyright. Similarly, writing a book costs very little, publishing it on the internet would cost no more than relatively small bandwidth costs. However, a full time writer would have invested a great deal of time that could have been spent working for a wage. People would buy his books because his ideas have value, and he is entitled to profit by selling them. Similarly, out time and skill also has value, even if it doesn't exist physically. That's why you are entitled to a wage when you work.

EDIT:
    @ Jayge
    Oh you're right, you don't lie. Rather, you preferred to refer to it as "hyperbole", I remember now.

It is reasonable to assume that customers have a right to test any products before they buy them. That's why you can try on clothing in stores, get taste samples of ice cream, view and listen to a TV in the store, test out cell phones, mice, keyboards, try on shoes, read books at the bookstore before you buy them, lay down on a mattress at Sleepy's, etc. On the non-physical side of things, you can listen to music on the radio, YouTube, iTunes (in 30 second previews), you can watch previews of TV shows (and lots of times the entire show), get previews of articles written as subscriber content before you subscribe, etc. So yes. It is definitely reasonable to assume that a customer should be entitled to the right to try a product before they commit large sums of money to purchasing it.

All of those things are given to you as a courtesy by the owner. You do not have the right (rights are defined by law), you are not entitled to it by the system. It is not reasonable to assume anything. You are making things up when it is convenient for you.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Rorschach
    Jayge said:
    When I said read the OP, see, I meant *read* it. He is advocating piracy to test out games as a demo function because a game doesn't have a demo. He buys the games he likes, and deletes the games he doesn't like. And he does buy his games. And again, piracy isn't stealing."
    Righto, apologies. When you said read, I thought you mean support a baseless argument that promotes theft and helps wreck the livelihood of game developers, oops. Silly me.
    Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Jax
    Bellum said:
    "Jax said:
    "Milkman said:
    "chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    Development costs quite a good deal, and such costs are only apart of the issue. More relevant is copyright. Similarly, writing a book costs very little, publishing it on the internet would cost no more than relatively small bandwidth costs. However, a full time writer would have invested a great deal of time that could have been spent working for a wage. People would buy his books because his ideas have value, and he is entitled to profit by selling them. Similarly, out time and skill also has value, even if it doesn't exist physically. That's why you are entitled to a wage when you work."
    Milkman said:
    "Jax said:
    "Milkman said:
    "chililili said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Milkman said:
    So what? Video game designers need to get paid too. Just because its easy doesn't make it right. Think of it like a movie. If someone makes a movie and 1 person films a bootleg and then distributes it to everyone else, the makers of that film are not getting paid for their work, even though money is not being directly taken out of their pockets. Same deal with video game makers. 
    "

Not my point. You said stealing a car is the same as stealing a game or movie online, it takes money out of the pockets of the makers. Not the same. A car physically costs money to make, not just RND or the salary of the workers, but actual physical material. So if I were to steal a car, I just stole a real tangible investment. A game, however, can be duplicated without using up any resourses, and costing the developer anything. They only pay for development, marketing and a 10 cent CD. I can upload all of the files from my copy of GTA 4, include a crack and bam, the developers aren't losing anything. I paid for the CD, they're just losing a "potential" customer. If you steal a car, well shit, they just lost 2-3 days of that car going through the assembally line and all of the costs in actually producing THAT car. Can't copy a car, now can you?
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#189  Edited By Kiemoe

Look, I'm not going to sit here and judge you for stealing from working people and pretend like I'm any better. Yeah, I've pirated a game or two, like 2 or 3 movies, and a ton of music. I feel bad for it, but it's just really easy and instant satisfaction. But people grow up. You get real jobs and pay for your games and music. The people who poured their blood sweat and tears into their art deserve it. Don't blame companies for spending months making a game and not spending a few weeks making a demo. Just because they didn't spend the time to do that doesn't justify stealing their months of work. And, honestly, you pirate, and then you buy? I doubt that. But I do commend you on your honesty.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Jayge said:
    "Rorschach said:
    "Milkman said:
    "
    I thought we were talking about video games? Do you get to test try candy bars before you buy them? Do you get to strut around town in clothes before you buy them? Do you get to spend a month in a house before you decide to take a mortgage out on it?

Exactly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDIT:
    @ Jax, obviously
    Yes, and I pointed out why your point isn't valid. Ideas have value. If people are allowed to take ideas, then the ideas no longer have value, in the economic sense.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    You do not have the right (rights are defined by law)
    No, they aren't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, they are. Or are you one of those people that believe rights are magical values that just exist in the universe? And, if so, from what basis do you attack moral absolutists?

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Rorschach
    Bellum said:
    "Yes, they are. Or are you one of those people that believe rights are magical values that just exist in the universe? And, if so, from what basis do you attack moral absolutists?"
    From behind... :p
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    "Yes, they are. Or are you one of those people that believe rights are magical values that just exist in the universe? And, if so, from what basis do you attack moral absolutists?"
    Rights are not defined by law. If they were, we would not have the right to do anything not defined by law. Which would be ridiculous. Which is why that statement is ridiculous.
    Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Jax
    Bellum said:
    "EDIT:@ Jax, obviouslyYes, and I pointed out why your point isn't valid. Ideas have value. If people are allowed to take ideas, then the ideas no longer have value, in the economic sense. "

Nope, there is no corelation in my opinion. I'm sorry. I don't see the correlation. A car is also an idea. It takes money to design it, and test a prototype and build it. If I stole a car, well I stole ideas, time, resources, money, etc. From THAT 1 car I steal, because not only is it an "idea" as you say, but it also is tangibly worth something. If I download a game, well I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway. Those game files have been duplicated thousands of times for free in windows, etc, etc. I see the morality of it, but not the fiscal issue. I only pirate once in a while. Don't act like you've never stolen a candy bar from the liquor store.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Milkman

You can't steal food because you don't know how it tastes. You can't steal a video game because you don't know how it plays. If you're not willing to take that gamble, tough shit. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
    "Bellum said:
    Rights are not defined by law. If they were, we would not have the right to do anything not defined by law. Which would be ridiculous. Which is why that statement is ridiculous."

Sure they are. That's why the law can take your rights away. You aren't thinking about this logically, which I've come to expect. Rights do not exist objectively in the universe. They are an invented concept. Rights can be anything we want them to be as such, but from a practical standpoint they are defined by law. Otherwise, they would only have value to you, kind of like this nonsense that you keep asserting.

Similarly, I could stand here and say that I have the right to stab your eyes out, but the rights defined by law might have something else to say about that.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    "Sure they are. That's why the law can take your rights away. You aren't thinking about this logically, which I've come to expect. Rights do not exist objectively in the universe. They are an invented concept. Rights can be anything we want them to be as such, but from a practical standpoint they are defined by law. Otherwise, they would only have value to you, kind of like this nonsense that you keep asserting.Similarly, I could stand here and say that I have the right to stab your eyes out, but the rights defined by law might have something else to say about that."
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, which I've come to expect.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Milkman
    Jayge said:
    "Bellum said:
    "Sure they are. That's why the law can take your rights away. You aren't thinking about this logically, which I've come to expect. Rights do not exist objectively in the universe. They are an invented concept. Rights can be anything we want them to be as such, but from a practical standpoint they are defined by law. Otherwise, they would only have value to you, kind of like this nonsense that you keep asserting.Similarly, I could stand here and say that I have the right to stab your eyes out, but the rights defined by law might have something else to say about that."
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, which I've come to expect."
    What's there not to get? The only reason you have any rights is because the law says you do. You have the right to be a dick over the internet (not that I'm saying you are or anything) because you are not breaking any laws. However, you do not have the right to pirate video games because you are breaking the law that says you can't steal. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.