Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Gamers, Do you use a Controller?

• 192 results
    sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By sirdesmond

After purchasing Jamestown on Steam and not having much fun playing it with the keyboard controllers, I went out to Best Buy and picked up a wired 360 controller (the Razer Onza Tournament Edition). Not only is it really a great controller (that I now also use as my primary controller when playing games on my 360), but in many ways, it has revitalized a lot of my PC gaming experience. Things that I never would have bought on PC before like Just Cause 2, Darksiders, etc. are now entirely within my realm of comfort when playing with this controller. It is like having all the ease of us found in a console (and being able to lay back on my couch while I play) mixed with the customizability and cheapness of many PC games.

Obviously there are always bad ports but I have found a lot of games to work instantly and flawlessly with a Windows controller.

Does anyone else use a set up similar to this, playing some types of games (FPS, RTS, etc.) with the mouse and keyboard and others (third-person games, platformers, Shoot 'Em Ups) with a controller? I'm really excited about my PC again (although I've always been a PC gamer to some extent) and I just want to know if I am late to the party on this whole controller-PC combo or not.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sirdesmond

After purchasing Jamestown on Steam and not having much fun playing it with the keyboard controllers, I went out to Best Buy and picked up a wired 360 controller (the Razer Onza Tournament Edition). Not only is it really a great controller (that I now also use as my primary controller when playing games on my 360), but in many ways, it has revitalized a lot of my PC gaming experience. Things that I never would have bought on PC before like Just Cause 2, Darksiders, etc. are now entirely within my realm of comfort when playing with this controller. It is like having all the ease of us found in a console (and being able to lay back on my couch while I play) mixed with the customizability and cheapness of many PC games.

Obviously there are always bad ports but I have found a lot of games to work instantly and flawlessly with a Windows controller.

Does anyone else use a set up similar to this, playing some types of games (FPS, RTS, etc.) with the mouse and keyboard and others (third-person games, platformers, Shoot 'Em Ups) with a controller? I'm really excited about my PC again (although I've always been a PC gamer to some extent) and I just want to know if I am late to the party on this whole controller-PC combo or not.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Never.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fripplebubby

Racing games are always better with a controller. Other than that, no.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dillonwerner

Nope, I don't even own a controller for that matter.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

Plenty of times.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If it is a game that was mainly developed for a console, yes.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By defaulttag

For Third-Person Action games or Street Fighter, yes.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Depends on the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I think a lot of them own a controller for third person games like Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Darksiders, etc. or racing games. 

But you will never catch an experienced PC gamer dead trying to play a shooter or RTS with a controller on a PC. If they have a PC and console that's different (duh) but most PC gamers will keep their shooters on PC unless they really want to play a console exclusive. 

And most of them really don't care to play the console exclusives.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phrosnite

No. NEVER!

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ervonymous

360 TE stick for shmups, arcade and fighting games, Logitech 360 ripoff pad for driving games and games that translate badly to keyboard&mouse and Logitech Attack 3 for the occasional flight sim.

Freaked me out when Metro 2033 defaulted to pad controls when I had one plugged in.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Quesa

I've used one quite a bit recently. Super Meat Boy, Jamestown, RE5 -- I find all of those much more playable with a controller.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rattle618
    @CL60 said:
    Depends on the game.
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By jay_ray

Outside of strategy games if a PC game lets me use a controller I will always grab it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Binman88

Not if I can help it. Much prefer the fidelity of a keyboard and mouse, even in third person games. I feel like a controller often stands between me and what I want to achieve on screen, because it feels so sluggish compared to the speed you get with mouse input. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Depends on the game, a lot of games just play a lot better with them. Racing games and platformers/adventure games inparticular.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

This topic has been done lots of times and is better served as a poll.

Yes many people use controllers on PC for certain games.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ghost_cat

I use them when playing platformers and some indie games.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite
    @believer258 said:
    I think a lot of them own a controller for third person games like Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Darksiders, etc. or racing games.
    You think wrong. All those games work perfectly with a mouse and keyboard. The controller comes in use when you emulate old console games.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

Yes, sure. Why not? Plenty of the most recent games I've beaten are much better with a controller than with KB+M, like Darksiders or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Just because I'm playing on a PC I won't limit myself to a certain input method if I can use another one that I find much more confortable for that specific game.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shabs

Absolutely. I pick the input device that suits the game.

I use a wired MW2 360 Pad. Wish the Onza had been out at the time, but I can't justify another controller when I already have 4 360 controllers.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@phrosnite said:

@believer258 said:
    You think wrong. All those games work perfectly with a mouse and keyboard. The controller comes in use when you emulate old console games.

Just as FPS games work perfectly with a controller.

Personally, for third person adventure games and the like, it feels much more natural moving around with an analogue stick than it does with WSAD. But opinions, etc.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258
    @phrosnite said:
    @believer258 said:
    I don't see how they could possibly be better than a controller. A controller has an analog stick, which was a much larger range of directions than, say, WASD, which consists of four directions, plus you can get from shoulder buttons to face buttons while still moving a whole lot quicker on a controller due to the fact that you're using two different fingers.

I can play PC shooters pefectly fine, I have a decent number of them. But, and I want to say this in the least snobbish way possible, how is controlling Prince of Persia The Sands of Time better played (or equally played) on a keyboard?
    Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I use a stick for my flight and mech sims (need more of both, please), but other than that it's all M/KB.

This stick:

I suppose if I played racing games I'd also pick up a wheel, but I don't. But a traditional console-style controller? No, if I wanted that I'd buy a console.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 71Ranchero

When appropriate. If a PC gamer is not using a controller ot a wheel for racing games they they are just too stuck up. 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phrosnite
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@phrosnite said:

@believer258 said:

Personally, for third person adventure games and the like, it feels much more natural moving around with an analogue stick than it does with WSAD. But opinions, etc.

O_o No, it doesn't. KB+M doesn't work only in fighting games and platformers like Mario. Everything else works perfectly. Customization is power. I always change the controls.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Kyle

I use a controller a lot, especially for platformers and third-person action games.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yes. I like to play games as they were intended. PC specific games and FPS's I'll stick with mouse and keyboard if they are particular to that control scheme. I actually played all the way through Borderlands on my 360 controller since it just felt better.

Everything else works great with a controller nowadays so I'll just go with that. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and not have to hunch over a keyboard.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sirdesmond

@phrosnite said:

@believer258 said:

I wouldn't say he thinks wrong considering in my original post I stated that I had and used a controller for that exact purpose as have several other people in these comments.

I come down on the side that just as many games are better with a mouse and keyboard, there are just as many that are better served with a controller. Obviously, you can play any type of game with either and it will be playable but it may not be most people's preferred style of play.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By toowalrus

Unless it's a first person shooter or real time strategy I always prefer a controller.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By phrosnite
    @believer258
    WASD is not only four directions. Also I have beaten the three Sand of Time Trilogy games 4 times each, Darksiders 3 times and so many other 3 person games. Maybe you need to spend more time with a keyboard... hehe.
    The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Painted

The only PC game I use a controller with is Super Meat Boy. I've never really found a reason to otherwise.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AlexW00d

@Fripplebubby said:

Racing games are always better with a controller. Other than that, no.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aronman789

Nope, never. Only use keyboard and mouse.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@phrosnite said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@phrosnite said:

@believer258 said:

O_o No, it doesn't. KB+M doesn't work only in fighting games and platformers like Mario. Everything else works perfectly. Customization is power. I always change the controls.

But it still doesn't give you analogue movement, it's like going back and playing Mass Effect with a d-pad. Yeah, it works fine.. just not as fine.

If you prefer it, knock yourself out. But I'll never understand this superiority complex many PC gamers have.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TobbRobb

I've been using it for Jamestown and Alice recently, otherwise KEYBOARD ALL THE WAY BABY.

Some games are just meant to be played with a pad.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phrosnite
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@phrosnite said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@phrosnite said:

@believer258 said:

But it still doesn't give you analogue movement, it's like going back and playing Mass Effect with a d-pad. Yeah, it works fine.. just not as fine.

If you prefer it, knock yourself out. But I'll never understand this superiority complex many PC gamers have.

lol The movement in Mass Effect 1 is skippy. Bad example. Don't give me that PC elitist bullshit.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mnzy

I started a little while ago since there are many games now that you shouldn't play with mouse and keyboard.
    At the moment I am playing Jamestown with my fightstick and Everyday Shooter with a 360 pad.

Two really good games by the way. I'm happy Jamestown got mentioned several times already in this thread.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Justin258
    @phrosnite said:
    @believer258:  WASD is not only four directions. Also I have beaten the three Sand of Time Trilogy games 4 times each, Darksiders 3 times and so many other 3 person games. Maybe you need to spend more time with a keyboard... hehe.
    8. OK, 8. And an analog stick has how many? Tons? 

On the contrary, you need to spend more time with a controller since every post you've given on the subject sounds like it has an air of superiority. I simply asked, in the least condescending way I could think of, how Prince of Persia the Sands of Time controls better on a keytboard. You have only answered with smug, empty comments. Say something useful and informative or don't say anything at all.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TobbRobb
    @WinterSnowblind: Is it really the pc gamer who has a superiority complex, or the guy saying WASD couldn't possibly be better than an analog stick, and think we are ignorant for thinking otherwise.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

For FIFA, platformers/side scrollers like SMB and the Bit Trip games, and racing games

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@TobbRobb said:

@WinterSnowblind: Is it really the pc gamer who has a superiority complex, or the guy saying WASD couldn't possibly be better than an analog stick, and think we are ignorant for thinking otherwise.

Like I said, if you prefer it, use it.

I'm only objecting to those who are absolutely adamant that mouse + keyboard is always better for everything.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By oraknabo

Whenever the game will let me 

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sirdesmond

@WinterSnowblind said:

@TobbRobb said:

Like I said, if you prefer it, use it.

I'm only objecting to those who are absolutely adamant that mouse + keyboard is always better for everything.

Now now gents, this is all about PC gaming so we'll have none of that PC vs. console business round these parts!

Just some good old fashion control interface vs. other control interface knife fights!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phrosnite
    @believer258 said:
    @phrosnite said:
    @believer258:  WASD is not only four directions. Also I have beaten the three Sand of Time Trilogy games 4 times each, Darksiders 3 times and so many other 3 person games. Maybe you need to spend more time with a keyboard... hehe.
    8. OK, 8. And an analog stick has how many? Tons?   On the contrary, you need to spend more time with a controller since every post you've given on the subject sounds like it has an air of superiority. I simply asked, in the least condescending way I could think of, how Prince of Persia the Sands of Time controls better on a keytboard. You have only answered with smug, empty comments. Say something useful and informative or don't say anything at all.
    When did I say that it worked better than with a controler? It works perfectly with KB+M. You don't need to buy a controler.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racing games and action games that don't play well with a keyboard and mouse (such as Devil May Cry 3/4)

I'm pretty sure a ton of people who only play games on PC besides exclusives own controllers.  Everyone I've talked to does that is a mainly PC gamer.  

Also I would like to say you are crazy for saying Just Cause 2 works better with a controller :P

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pop

Yea I use this really cheap PS2 looking controller I mainly got it to play Devil May Cry 3 which had no mouse control everything was off the keyboard which was horrible you could use some mods to make the mouse control the camera but it was awkward so I bought this controller for like 5 euro and it works great, I use it on platformers and racing games, I played darksiders with it cause the mouse control in that was kind of weird. I got this program called controlmk that can make you bind any button on the controller to the keyboard in mouse, so I used it for fishing in world of warcraft :D. 

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Justin258
    @TobbRobb said:
    Note that I'm still asking for somebody to tell me how WASD is as good as, or better than, an analog stick for something like Prince of Persia the Sands of Time.
    sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sirdesmond

@xobballox: Haha, that's fine. While the hacking and quicktime events are certainly easier while playing it with mouse and keyboard, there is something about the grappling hook and parachute combo that I love controlling with the 360 controller.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZimboDK

For the occasional Fifa and driving game. Some shooters too, if the mouse and keyboard controls are fucked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.