Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Questions on: A New Laptop, Windows 7, and Starcraft II!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

So the thread title sums it up pretty much. I'm going to convince my Dad to get me a laptop, especially considering it's my birthday in two months and some change. That being said, I'll sort this out for you.

• The laptop needs to come installed with Windows 7. There's no better time to get a new piece of hardware than when a new OS is coming out. Arguable because of what happened with Vista, but you get the idea.
    • When exactly does Windows 7 come out. Can I look forward to new laptops having it on them? Do you know any websites currently catering to this option?
    • Do you know of any recommendable laptops? I do like name brands, but it also has to be affordable.
    • The big one, will it run Starcraft II? I realize the specs for it aren't official. Yet we all know Blizzard likes to make games that can run on a majority of customers' machines without making them upgrade. Well I'd like my new laptop to excel in running SC II, not just run it. I want it to ride that shit.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

As far as I know, Windows 7 is not going to be released in two months, so I don't think there is virtually any chance of you getting a laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed, you can install the BETA, however. When it comes to running Starcraft II (since I'm not PC-tech suaveish), I will leave that answer to someone else. Assuming you are getting a new laptop that packs some kind of punch, and from my experiences, being that Blizzard normally has good optimizations (I think), you could be able to run it. Don't count on my word, aside from Windows 7 not coming out in two months. At least, I don't think.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza
    Vinchenzo said:
    "So the thread title sums it up pretty much. I'm going to convince my Dad to get me a laptop, especially considering it's my birthday in two months and some change. That being said, I'll sort this out for you.

• The laptop needs to come installed with Windows 7. There's no better time to get a new piece of hardware than when a new OS is coming out. Arguable because of what happened with Vista, but you get the idea.

• When exactly does Windows 7 come out. Can I look forward to new laptops having it on them? Do you know any websites currently catering to this option?

• Do you know of any recommendable laptops? I do like name brands, but it also has to be affordable.

• The big one, will it run Starcraft II? I realize the specs for it aren't official. Yet we all know Blizzard likes to make games that can run on a majority of customers' machines without making them upgrade. Well I'd like my new laptop to excel in running SC II, not just run it. I want it to ride that shit.
    "
    To answer your first question, Never buy a new OS as soon as it comes out, especially if it's from Microsoft! You pay more money for it. Nothing is compatible with it at launch, and it's always a buggy mess. Windows 95 was that way. Windows 98 was that way. Windows XP was that way, and Vista was that way. If you want to upgrade to the new Windows wait until at least a year after it is released. That way you get something that has had most of the kinks worked out of it and the market has had time to adjust to the new OS and there will be software readily available that is compatible with it.

As far as when Windows 7 comes out, I don't believe there is a definite launch date for it yet, but I could be wrong. All I have heard is speculation saying it might be available by the end of this year, but I doubt it. When it does come out, rest assured you will be able to get it on new PC's, desktops and laptops.

ASUS makes the best laptops in my experience. I have had several name brand laptops and the ones from ASUS are the only ones I have never had a problem with. 

Finally, to answer your last question, you said yourself that the system specs for SC II aren't official so whether, or not your laptop will run it is anyones guess. Knowing Blizzard though, my guess is that any halfway descent PC out there will run SC II when it launches since Blizz isn't known for having high system requirements for their games.

Leord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Leord
    Hammerface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hammerface

I don't really see why you want Windows 7. I've been using XP for years, and I can play every PC game I own, even recent ones like Fallout 3. Also, with Windows XP you won't get some update that will fuck everything up, because they're not updating it anymore.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By atejas

7 seems promising from the beta, but it's really a better idea to get XP right now and wait and see.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By thebeast
    Start shopping for your laptop around October and there's a good chance you'll be seeing Windows 7 on the vast majority of them - while Windows 7 probably won't be released until early next year to retail, I imagine OEMs will start distributing systems with it a bit earlier.

I very much disagree with Cerza re not buying a new OS as it comes out - certainly this is the case when it comes to business systems but for personal use on a new machine, you won't have problems with Windows 7 - it's a very impressive OS as it stands.

As for specific laptops, what's your budget? Do you need anything specific?

Starcraft II has a good chance of having a very scalable engine - it's being designed to replace the game people play on their ancient machines and Blizzard know tend to know what they're doing when it comes to ensuring their potential audience is as large as possible. Chances are it will be playable, if not at maximum graphics settings, on any laptop you purchase over the next few months.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

I haven't really talked about budget, but he wants me to get one of the stripped-down ones to do school work on. While I want to take advantage of a new laptop by making it powerful enough to run SC II, because if I play any PC game, it'll be that. I'd say $1500... at max? Just a very rough estimate.

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Peach

I would assume at 1500 you would probably be able to run SC2 at around mid-low settings, assuming it's a laptop. If you woulda went for a pc, I'm sure you can get something that can run SCII on high.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Ben_H

Windows7 RC is runs like Jesus on my machine.  RAM usage is down 8%.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.