Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I get a headset or microphone?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I have to replace my recently broken headset, and wanted to make the best choice. Tell me what you think.

Option 1:  

Option 2: 

The headset is the same one I have, but it lasted me maybe 2.5 years so I can't really complain. When I asked my friend he said if he had a choice he'd probably get a microphone. Realistically it is both cheaper and it won't hurt my ears. I still want more opinions because I've never had a separate microphone before.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By huntad

The ear-hurting and cheap price are good things to point out. I can say without hesitation that no matter what headset you buy, it will definitely start to hurt your ears over time (no matter how comfortable you think it is!). I'd say microphone as well, but it does tend to pick up more background noise.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By agentboolen

I have always hated ear buds, but I guess if your comfortable with them then that might be your best choice.  Did you ever just try to wear the headset less tight?  It doesn't need to be tight to stay on your head.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I have that exact same microphone. It's cheap and good sound quality. I just use speakers.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Use your console headset draped around your neck with the mic in front of your mouth with your earbuds for audio. Just need a stereo splitter Y cable and a micro to mini size converter. Or is that the same headset you were talking about breaking?

I went with a bluetooth headset as my PC mic, clipped to my shirt. I recommend a Plantronics brand because of their AudioIQ tech. You can get bluetooth adapter and a headset for the same price as the cheap headset you linked ( http://www.google.com/products?q=audioiq&hl=en&scoring=p).

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @agentboolen said:
    " I have always hated ear buds, but I guess if your comfortable with them then that might be your best choice.  Did you ever just try to wear the headset less tight?  It doesn't need to be tight to stay on your head. "
    My ears kind of stick out more than an average person, so I think that's an issue. I wear it as loose as possible while still staying on my head. I don't think it can be resolved. 

@MrKlorox said:
    " Use your console headset draped around your neck with the mic in front of your mouth with your earbuds for audio. Just need a stereo splitter Y cable and a micro to mini size converter. Or is that the same headset you were talking about breaking?

I went with a bluetooth headset as my PC mic, clipped to my shirt. I recommend a Plantronics brand because of their AudioIQ tech. You can get bluetooth adapter and a headset for the same price as the cheap headset you linked ( http://www.google.com/products?q=audioiq&hl=en&scoring=p). "
    I think I'd rather just get a microphone so I don't have to drape or clip anything at all.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Vinchenzo:  Well you be sure and let us know how that mic sounds. I've been through 4+ of those terrible desk mics and have found my final solution.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @MrKlorox: It's the highest reviewed desk mic at 4.5 / 5 stars, and is made by Logitech. They made some pretty quality devices, so I'll give it a shot. I have $7.50 in credit, so it'll only cost a fraction of that price.
    Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo7676

Headsets are more convenient for me. I'm too lazy to hook up my speakers and both my roommates work nights so it is easier for me. Plus it is just easier to use when playing a game. I talk a lot on steam with friends while playing games though.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By blackbird415
    @Vinchenzo:  seperate microphones are pretty good, but they certainly don't look good. I seem to be advising this for people asking for headsets through my research. Its a good headset. They're soft and comfy and they don't hurt my ears even after hours of gameplay
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake

logitech headsets are notorious for hurting the fuck out of ears. I suggest either a better class of headset if you can afford it (circumaural with boom mic) or a good table mic mixed with a mid range headset sennheiser (HD550). 

Also table mics pick up more unwanted sound on your end when you are broadcasting, versus a headset mic that you can dial in the sensitivity for stuff like voice activated ventrilo speech  

ive got the astro A40 XBR headset w/ the mixamp and an auzentech 7.1 soundcard (Dolby digital live setting), good stuff. 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By metal_mills

Get a new headset. Honestly, logitech are a terrible brand for headphones. The couple I tried were rotten. Might as well tape 2 tin cans to your ears rapped in nettle. I use Plantronic headphones. Not even a well know brand but are MUCH better than logitech. Super light-weight and comfy.

edins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By edins

I personally prefer headset...

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rockanomics

I use that desk mic and I absolutely love it. Sounds great + pretty cheap.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Zurv
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By DukeTogo

The old Logitech Socom headset for the PS2 is great for multipurpose needs.  I used it for the PS2, the PS3, and vent on the PC.  It was a sad day when mine broke after a regrettable occurrence of "rage throwing" it to the floor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.