Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What's the big deal about the mouse and keyboard setup for FPS?

• 61 results
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Edited By JTB123

Try not to flame too hard :)

Anyway, recently got Painkiller off Steam and been enjoying it a lot. A nice return to old-school style FPS gaming.

However, I must say I really don't see the big deal about using a mouse and keyboard. I'm finding it very uncomfortable to use and cannot play for much more than an hour. I've never had any problems using a controller to aim nor do I have any problems using my mouse, I just find it extremely uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. 

What do you think?

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JTB123

Try not to flame too hard :)

Anyway, recently got Painkiller off Steam and been enjoying it a lot. A nice return to old-school style FPS gaming.

However, I must say I really don't see the big deal about using a mouse and keyboard. I'm finding it very uncomfortable to use and cannot play for much more than an hour. I've never had any problems using a controller to aim nor do I have any problems using my mouse, I just find it extremely uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. 

What do you think?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sagesebas

You'll get used to it 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz

I would ask you how much you have used a mouse in the past, and what mouse you're using now. With the right mouse, I get next to no fatigue, and I'm able to aim far more precisely (that fact has been made clear many times, in many games). 

If you very rarely use a mouse, then of course it can be difficult getting used to it. On the other hand, once you are used to it, it's a far more precise way of playing FPS games, and the issue of comfort generally goes away.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By Geno

You can make much more precise movements much quicker.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dipstick

Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision 

That's why people use a mouse and keyboard. Sorry to put it blunt.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Take more time, you can't play counter strike source with a controller. The mouse gives you more precision where you can do headshots easily. Look if your just starting out, you need more time to get used to the controls. The keyboard is probally more challenging, however most games has a similar config for fps games, so you learn a few of them, you learn them all.  

I used to play counter strike for 10 hours a day, you can get used to it over time. The learning curve for learning the controls might be a few months, so don't draw any conclusions right away. I belive you will be much better later on.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

When I started playing PC games again in 2000, it took me a while to get used to it. I had no idea what WASD was. Now, I have a hard time playing a FPS with a dual analog controller. So, there is a small learning curve.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Dipstick said:
    " Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision Precision "

and :

@jukezypoo said:
    "If you very rarely use a mouse, then of course it can be difficult getting used to it. On the other hand, once you are used to it, it's a far more precise way of playing FPS games, and the issue of comfort generally goes away. "
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JTB123

The comfort issue is mainly due to the keyboard rather than the mouse. Using WASD just doesn't feel right.... I do like the speed in which I can turn with a mouse, but as I said I just don't find it very comfortable.

I haven't played many games on my PC, mainly because the games that interest me are on consoles and always have been.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Gotta build up those chops bro. Just like any new controller, its weird and foreign at first, but eventually you won't even notice. 

Headshots are on the way.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djeffers03

I have similar issues. I understand the precision that the mouse gives you but WASD is very uncomfortable for me and Im constantly having to look down at the keyboard to find things.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski

KB+M is more accurate.  Period.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MightyMayorMike

Personally, it's just what I grew up with. I was always drawn to the PC over the consoles, though I love both.

I don't think it's necessarily better or anything, though given the chance to play a game on my PC versus my Xbox I go PC every time.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

basically accuracy is why mouse aiming is better than joysticks.   Almost all console fps games have aim assist so it makes people think joysticks are more accurate than they really are.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

The mouse is definitely more accurate, but if you've learned to play with dual analogs then the difference isn't as huge as people like to pretend it is.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " The mouse is definitely more accurate, but if you've learned to play with dual analogs then the difference isn't as huge as people like to pretend it is. "
    No, it's a pretty huge difference. It's just that console shooters are slower-paced, giving you more time to aim and thus a false sense of accuracy.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " The mouse is definitely more accurate, but if you've learned to play with dual analogs then the difference isn't as huge as people like to pretend it is. "
    The difference actually is huge, it's just when people say you can't play FPS with a game pad at all, that's wrong.  Using a game pad to play singleplayer or casual multiplayer is fine.  But if you want to play competitive multiplayer on the PC, you need a mouse or you will get destroyed by any decent mouse user.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Because "precision" and WSAD is much more accurate, lifelike and satisfying than pulling a trigger and using an analogue stick on something that you hold in your hand and that has force feedback.

Oh wait.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By mazik765
    @Spoonman671 said:
    I'm going to go ahead and agree with this even though you'll probably get bitched out by all the PC fans. There is a difference but it's not as drastic as people make it seem.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By GunstarRed

Keyboard & Mouse is way more accurate and I couldn't imagine playing HL2 or Portal without them however the controller is just fine and in some cases I found it much easier to use a 360 controller, Theres so many commands in games like Mass Effect 2 and Crysis that I found myself using a wired 360 controller and it was accurate enough and worked almost as well as mouse and keyboard.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Spoonman671 said:
    "The mouse is definitely more accurate, but if you've learned to play with dual analogs then the difference isn't as huge as people like to pretend it is. "

I agree with this. 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Meowayne said:

" Because "precision" and WSAD is much more accurate, lifelike and satisfying than pulling a trigger and using an analogue stick on something that you hold in your hand and that has force feedback.  Oh wait. "

1.) Wait, did you just say that precision is not accurate? I'm pretty sure you just literally said that precision is not accurate. LOLWUT.
    2.) ...Since when did controller = realism? As far as I know people don't jump by pressing buttons, an that the neck can pivot in more than just 8 cardinal directions. moot argument is moot.
    3.) There are force feedback mice.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By august

It's not just "aiming" per se, but how fast  and gracefully you can turn and move through the world. See the Quake TNT for a vivid example of this.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rebirth1337
    Better aim but once your on a controller for so long it doesn't really matter anymore. There is a difference but if you playing with people and they also use controllers it's all good.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

M&K might be more precise, but I enjoy using controllers much more.
    I can appreciate games like Stalker tho, feels real nice to have all your keybinds for weapons and such.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpiralStairs

Much more precise, and more options to fine-tune the controls to fit your style.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoelTGM
    @mazik765 said:

" @Spoonman671 said:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with this even though you'll probably get bitched out by all the PC fans. There is a difference but it's not as drastic as people make it seem. "

Just watch some Quake 3 pros here.  Analog sticks can't do this.  If your playing slow games then I can see why  you'd think the difference isn't big, but when you play fast competitive games using a game pad would get you nowhere.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB

It baffles me how people can be so comfortable with gamepad controls in FPS games, but I realize that whatever control scheme you grew up with and got used to is going to be the best method for you. I fumble with aiming accurately using two inaccurate sticks, but I can aim point-precise with the cheapest of computer mice. I'll agree that the keyboard is the most awkward and convoluted controller in the world for video games, but since it's the only peripheral you can be sure your average PC user is going to have, I can understand why games are designed with it in mind.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Onno10

If it wasn't a big deal most console fps's wouldn't have an auto aim feature.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentofChaos

Its how you learned to play shooters. Most kids nowadays learned on Dual-Stick setups. The older, more curmudgeon adults here learned to play without even a mouse. And don't get me started on those in-betweeners that started on Half-Life 1.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By withateethuh

The level of accuracy only really matters if your super serial about competitive multiplayer. I personally enjoy a console controller (well, the xbox one not the ps3 one) because it feels more intuitive and in a way it is more "life-like" because of the whole trigger thing, and being able to get a well placed headshot in a split-second is something that really doesn't happen in real life so you can't really say a mouse is more realistic.  But then again anyone who plays video games for a strong sense of realism is a dense fuck. 

The one thing that a mouse a keyboard definitely has advantage over is games that require a lot of commands like RPGs or RTSs.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Bigrhyno
    • No aim assist
    • Allows for faster movement and faster games in general
    • More buttons allow for easier and faster weapon switching
    • It just feels more comfortable to me in general

Having said all that, I haven't played a computer game in about a year because my gaming computer died. I'd like to play some Team Fortress 2. :)
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#33  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm going to say that I've tried to play shooters on PC quite extensively, and I actually hate the added speed. It gets to a nauseating level where it just doesn't feel right. I much prefer console controls, especially for third-person shooters. I turn the speed of movement down in Half-Life just to play it without barfing...and dude, that game sucks anyway.

I honestly feel like it's a preference issue, not so much a one is better than the other. The only genres I can think of as being actually better on the PC are MMOs, point-and-click adventure (duh) and strategy games (Civilization, Starcraft). Most others are just as good if not better on consoles. Platformers, anyone?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude
    @MormonWarrior said:
     I turn the speed of movement down in Half-Life just to play it without barfing...and dude, that game sucks anyway. 
    Oh my, you will be damned for those words. Oh no you didn't.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I prefer a gamepad.  It's comfortable and portable. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august
    @Claude said:
    " @MormonWarrior said:
     I turn the speed of movement down in Half-Life just to play it without barfing...and dude, that game sucks anyway. 
    Oh my, you will be damned for those words. Oh no you didn't. "
    Hey now, that's not nice. Lots of girls don't like Half-Life. And get sick playing games. It's their hormones!
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By korwin

A Mouse user and a Controller user do a back to back 10 pace duel, guess who turns 180 degrees the quickest and shoots first.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Shadow

The mouse is great.  It's precise, comfortable, and allows for a lot of customization regarding what does what.  The keyboard however, is the worst game controller ever.  It has too many buttons and you can't handle it in any comfortable way.  You have to stretch your hand to reach keys while using 2 hands.  With a mouse as well, you have one hand on the keyboard and there are keys you have to look down to reach no matter how well you've memorized the orientation of it.  Every time, I will sacrifice the precision of the mouse and use a real game controller to get out of having to deal with the goddamn keyboard.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By korwin
    @Shadow:   Thats why these started popping up a few years ago - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123 

Pretty good solution for people like yourself.
    rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rflx

It's definitely a preference thing. But people who say that there is no difference between M/K and controller, or that controllers are better. No... You're just plain wrong. You could argue that a controller is more comfortable/portable/realistic(?)/whatever, but the bottomline is that a mouse is just better, in the literal sense of the word. It's faster and more precise. And in FPS games, that is alpha and omega.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @MormonWarrior said:
    Go fuck yourself .  That is all.

@Shadow:
    The keyboard isn't that bad once you get used to it.  It's like second nature to me and I never have to look for keys.  It is very different from a standard controller, but having all those extra keys comes in handy for more complicated games, and you can customize them as you see fit; an option most console games regrettably don't have.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Tordah

Mouse and keyboard uncomfortable? Sounds to me like your desk/chair height level is completely messed up and non-ergonomic.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti

Not going to repeat what everyone already said here about precision and speed.

But my brother plays FPS mostly on consoles, while I play on the PC and watching him play the controller is not a super inferior tool for FPS once you get used to it and you can get really good with it. However most console shooters feature crazy amount of inbuilt aim assist and other liitle gimmicks that make the player think they are more precise and accurate then they really are. I mean just look at the humongous amount of MW2 vids on youtube as an example, it's easy to see that the hit boxes are artificially larger then the actual body shape of the people being shot and many many times even tho the shots are off target they still hit the other player.

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lhaymehr
    @JTB123:  I think you're just another console troll.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By Willy105

Once you get used to keyboard and mouse, it will feel redundant to use a dual analog setup to play those kinds of games. You lose too much going from KB&M to a controller.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sooty
    @Meowayne said:
    " Because "precision" and WSAD is much more accurate, lifelike and satisfying than pulling a trigger and using an analogue stick on something that you hold in your hand and that has force feedback.  Oh wait. "
    Who gives a shit about force feedback? I'd rather have precision than having to wrestle with analog sticks, yes they are fine for the most part but trying to hit small targets using analog sticks is simply annoying and more hassle than it should be. With a mouse you can be aiming at something far quicker than you can with a controller. It's just fact.

I like my 360 and my PS3 but I struggle to take FPS games seriously when aim assist is so rampant in most of the FPS games on consoles. If I want some competitive play I'll just play the same game on PC, like BC2.
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JTB123
    @lhaymehr: Well your opinion is wrong.

That's not bad though, making 45 responses until I get a stupid one.

Thanks everyone else :)
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By ptys

I've been raised on console shooters, just can't get my head around the moving and clicking with my hands to take a shot. I appreciate PC gamers enjoying what they're trained in, but think it's wrong to say it's better. Different strokes for different folks.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @rflx said:
    . It's faster and more precise. And in FPS games, that is alpha and omega. "
    Depends on what you want out of games.  To me FPS games that rely more on twitch speed instead of tactics, planning, and thought are far inferior.   However, I will agree that many modern FPS games are the worst of both worlds as they don't rely on tactics and instead focus on twitch speed, but the games don't run fast enough to satisfy those who prefer twitch speed.  For similar reasons, I don't like most RTS's and really enjoy turn based strategy.  In RTS games the strategy always seems to take a back seat to clicks per minute.  

As far as controls, I think dual analog is simply adequate.  Mouse aiming is definitely the better but keyboard movement sucks.  For me the best of both worlds would be a multibutton mouse paired with a multiple button analog stick nunchuck like controller. 
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DoctorOptimist

Seeing how many of the replies here are nice, I can imagine this guy posting the same thread at gametrailers.com's forums and being flamed to freaking death by all of the f***ed up users there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.