Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

windows start bar

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By empfeix

Why do most people put their windows task bar at the default bottom position? 

Especially with widescreen monitors it makes much more sense putting it on the side.  You gain a lot of reading space that way when surfing the net.  Also you can have way more windows open and listed on the bar at the same time if you are into that (I dont like the grouping windows option, but thats a personal preference) 

Just wondering what you guys think and what are your reasons for putting it on the bottom.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Everything else feels wrong.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I leave it at the bottom but like you I have it on the right side of the screen when I'm using a laptop since the screen is so bloody wide.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theWarren

I don't know....I just do. 

I'll give it a shot your way though.  Just to see how it is.  It's easier to do for me on Windows 7 as i like the new task bar far better than any other version of it. 

Funny though since on my Mac at home i have my dock on the left side....

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I'm so used to it on the bottom of the screen, it would just feel weird.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @empfeix said:
    " Why do most people put their windows task bar at the default bottom position? 
    You pretty much answer your own question here. Because it's the default setting most people don't bother to change it around. If default had it placed at the right or left side, then most people would have it there. Personally mine is on the left side for the reasons you mentioned, but to each their own.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By m1k3

i just auto-hide the task bar, then i have the whole screen open

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

I leave it on the bottom so that the text is more readable. When I place it on the side this Firefox window simply reads, "Wi..." which tells me nothing. My currently open IM chat says, "M..." - which could be one of several people. I like knowing what's what at a glance. I also don't have so much open that having them grouped or on the side would be beneficial. As for reading space, my resolution is very high so there's already too much room and I keep my browser and text files windowed.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By spazmaster666

Since I have a dual monitor setup, the "extra" space that a taskbar takes up isn't really that big of a deal (In fact, I actually widen my taskbar to two rows instead of one). And even when just using one monitor, the amount of space that a taskbar takes up on a 1920x1200 display isn't that big of a deal. Maybe if you were using a 1280x800 laptop screen that would be more of a big deal.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Er, it feels way better on the bottom. It's the place you look least on your computer. 

Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Noted

I have it on the top. Used to the Gnome menu top left, so having the start button there feels right.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By empfeix
    @Noted said:
    " I have it on the top. Used to the Gnome menu top left, so having the start button there feels right. "
    I have moved my bar on all 4 sides and used it for a good long while just to get the feel of how it would work.   

Whats funny is if you change the location of the bar you will find yourself going to the old location to do things!  Your mind is that programmed to the old way, its funny.
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By JoeH

ummm the windows start bar is like 70px high... that isn't that much space...and you can auto hide it...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous
    @JoeH: XP is 30.

@empfeix said:
    " @Noted said:
    " I have it on the top. Used to the Gnome menu top left, so having the start button there feels right. "
    I have moved my bar on all 4 sides and used it for a good long while just to get the feel of how it would work.     Whats funny is if you change the location of the bar you will find yourself going to the old location to do things!  Your mind is that programmed to the old way, its funny. "
    This is the biggest reason that most people use the bottom. Since it's the default, it's what people are used to.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just use F11 when I need more reading space on the net.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By beargirl1

i use mine on the top.  

No Caption Provided
    since i got my widescreen monitor, i really cleaned up my desktop more and it looks so much better up there imo. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.