Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Would you use this control idea?

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zebadee

Say microsoft brought out a controller for the pc which you hold in your left hand, kinda like a xbox 360 controller chopped in half.

You would get the smooth character movement of a console analog stick and the precision of a mouse in your right hand. 

I sometimes find it annoying that in some pc games I am always forced to run because the keyboard has no pressure sensing.
    Would you use this over the keyboard if it worked well?
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By xruntime

No...cause you need all the keys on the keyboard to control functions like switching weapons, reloading, melee, grenades, scores, objectives, commands, use, etc.

Avatar image for darkenzanarikado
    DarkEnzanArikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarkEnzanArikado

I got a gaming keyboard and its pretty sweet so no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

If a PC game has situations where you might need to walk, they generally have keys bound to walking or walking is context sensitive. In most cases, walking is useless, you just run around like an idiot. Personally I don't think an analog stick and a mouse would be all that intuitive.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

um, no.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By breton

Give up the keyboard for the sake of walking? No, no I wouldn't. Just get a gamepad if you want to play like that.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ekajarmstro

I think that idea is awesome, but then again that's only because I'm primarily a console gamer so I think that product would have no real market to sell to.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rockanomics

I've thought of this a few times before, but I don't know how it'd work.

I guess your idea would be possible, be kinda weird holding your left hand up and your right on a desktop. Plus like he said,  when my hand is at WASD there are probably 15-20 keys I can hit hella fast.

I've always imagined just having an analog stick right where your WASD would be, but it'd still be odd because you walk with keys using your fingers and with a stick you use your thumb.

I dunno, even though you can easily use a 360 pad for anything that suits it, in shooters that is the one thing that consoles have over PC on controls.

I imagine it would be almost impossible to get a full transition going, but it would have to be an entirely new kind of controller really. Keyboards are still the same thing they always were, something to type with.
    It works pretty darn well as a controller in a lot of cases, but it isn't designed to be one.

Now the mouse isn't either I admit, but I don't know of any other way to get that kind of speed and precision.

Oh, look at this, http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/10/belkin-readies-hybrid-gaming-keyboard.

*edit* Nevermind, I guess that's just an 8-way D-pad with a stick on top, not real analog.

Either way, even if it was real, I doubt I'd buy it unless there was some new must have game that was using thumbstick + mouse control as some integral feature/gimmick.

Analog movement would be nice, but it doesn't seem like a game changer.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Black_Raven

Na I wouldn't use it, the only games i have a problem with using a keyboard and mouse are racing games, if a game had the option of walking then simply pressing and holding down Ctrl while moving would work fine.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

I don't only use the keyboard for WASD it has a lot of other useful buttons too. The idea is interesting though.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

What about a keyboard with pressure sensitive WASD buttons? Would that work?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

Sounds like a Wii.......

No, because I like being able to type while playing PC games.

IncipitOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IncipitOmega

Thumbs up for the pressure sensitive WASD keys..

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake
    @MattyFTM said:
    " What about a keyboard with pressure sensitive WASD buttons? Would that work? "
    I was about to say that too! the best idea imho, been waiting for something like that for years.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Player1

Hmm...Reminds me of this. 

No Caption Provided

Not the worst idea ever. But no thanks. Like xruntime mentioned above, you need the keys for other functions. So with how you are proposing it, you would only have two buttons, the right and left click. Games would have to be very simple. 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

Hmmm, no because you need all the other keys.  But a console style analogue stick in place of WASD keys woudn't be too bad (the layout could be changed obviously.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.