PixelJunk Shooter 2 Announced, Still Not Really A Shooter

• 61 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Like this, but with more lava.
Hi, everyone! I'm MattBodega. You may recognize me as, "That guy who has a lot of wiki points on the Matrix: Path of Neo page", or "That guy who hosted that bad community podcast", or even, "Seriously, why does he have so many points on the Path of Neo page?!" I'll be your new Giant Bomb news contributor, focusing on all the news that's not quite dumb enough to ignore. Now, when Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are trapped in an endless video series from which there is no escape, there is still someone here at the site who can post news. 

Over on the PlayStation Blog, Q-Games President Dylan Cuthbert announced that his company was entering "Full production" on the sequel to last year's side-scrolling shooter/spelunking-in-spaceship/fluid simulator PixelJunk Shooter. No, this isn't an additional DLC episode for the original game; PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a full-on new installment to last years game. Hopefully, that means Q-Games will have a greater opportunity to expand on the gameplay dynamics than they could in an add-on.

It's worth noting that this is the first time Q-Games has returned to any of it's PSN properties. This makes PixelJunk Shooter 2 the "Final Fantasy X-2" of the franchise. If this game doesn't put you in the role of a plucky Japanese pop singer tasked to save a group of researchers trapped in an underground facility using the power of pop, it will be a missed opportunity indeed.

Q-Games also released the two concept shots of the sequel.  Check 'em out!

Yup. That definitely looks like PixelJunk Shooter. But....more so. 

Are you guys looking forward to head back underground and mix water with lava? What do you want to see in the sequel? More fluids? Less diamond hunting?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Like this, but with more lava.
Hi, everyone! I'm MattBodega. You may recognize me as, "That guy who has a lot of wiki points on the Matrix: Path of Neo page", or "That guy who hosted that bad community podcast", or even, "Seriously, why does he have so many points on the Path of Neo page?!" I'll be your new Giant Bomb news contributor, focusing on all the news that's not quite dumb enough to ignore. Now, when Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are trapped in an endless video series from which there is no escape, there is still someone here at the site who can post news. 

Over on the PlayStation Blog, Q-Games President Dylan Cuthbert announced that his company was entering "Full production" on the sequel to last year's side-scrolling shooter/spelunking-in-spaceship/fluid simulator PixelJunk Shooter. No, this isn't an additional DLC episode for the original game; PixelJunk Shooter 2 is a full-on new installment to last years game. Hopefully, that means Q-Games will have a greater opportunity to expand on the gameplay dynamics than they could in an add-on.

It's worth noting that this is the first time Q-Games has returned to any of it's PSN properties. This makes PixelJunk Shooter 2 the "Final Fantasy X-2" of the franchise. If this game doesn't put you in the role of a plucky Japanese pop singer tasked to save a group of researchers trapped in an underground facility using the power of pop, it will be a missed opportunity indeed.

Q-Games also released the two concept shots of the sequel.  Check 'em out!

Yup. That definitely looks like PixelJunk Shooter. But....more so. 

Are you guys looking forward to head back underground and mix water with lava? What do you want to see in the sequel? More fluids? Less diamond hunting?
#2 Edited by fwylo (3556 posts) -

WOOT

#3 Posted by LosDub (196 posts) -

nice
#4 Posted by Crono (2620 posts) -

I am definitely excited about this game.  Hopefully this time around they won't move on to the next mechanic just as you're getting familiar with one.  I really enjoyed the first one a lot but I felt there were a number of design choices that could have been dealt with a bit better.  Here is their chance to correct some of those errors in judgment :)

#5 Posted by LeBart (303 posts) -

So... why do you have all those points on the Path of Neo page ? :)

#6 Posted by ISmoochyI (251 posts) -

missed it!

#7 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

Congratulations Matt on posting your first news story, pity you were forced to drop Bodega out of the author name though.

I still need to catch up on a lot of PS3/PSN games myself. PixelJunk Shooter being one for sure.

#8 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

Wait.. that picture..

#9 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Pretty old news, I was excited about more Pixeljunk Shooter ever since I heard the PJ Shooter online now was 'Episode 1'.  It's a great game, and I look forward to more.  The developers have stated in twitter posts (as far as I remember) that the next bit will be even more elaborate.  Looking forward to it.  The QL for the first PJ Shooter on GB was hilarious.

#10 Posted by phantomzxro (1532 posts) -

I just want more PJ shooter liked the game a lot, it would be cool to add a few more elements into the mix but i'm just glad they are making more of it.
#11 Posted by ZeroCast (1870 posts) -

Great stuff Matt.

#12 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1160 posts) -

I remember when matt was a little babby, now look at him all grown up to babbyhood.

No really, well done sir.

#13 Posted by Robitt (347 posts) -

Congrats on your first newsstory! You did great! :)

#14 Posted by KrazyXP (8 posts) -

Awesome news, feel free to correct the spelling of "announced" in the title though. :P

#15 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

As much as I liked Shooter, I'm not sure I'd enjoy going back in for more of the same. By the end of the game I was burned out on everything it offered.

#16 Posted by HT101 (1150 posts) -

Nice to see the Whiskey Media family growing.  I only saw the QL but it would be the best to play it in short spurts.  I would probably get tired if I played it for a while but in short (10 to 15 minutes) spurts, I think it would be a great game to play.

#17 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

I just hope we get a bit more content for our money this time.  While I really enjoyed the first one, it felt a bit on the short side.

#18 Posted by Globox82 (189 posts) -

Can giant bomb hire someone that isnt an xbot? 4 of them is enough. Sometimes i wonder why i visit this site.

#19 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Hello Matt. Were you the guy in the background reading the chat and asking questions during the Xbocalypse stream? Cause you are painfully unfunny.

#20 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I still think Pixeljunk Shooter is a stupid name for the game. Pixeljunk Elements or Pixeljunk Spelunk seem like way better names. 

The first game was really fun, and I'm a huge fan of Q games, so this will be a definite buy when the price goes down (I'm hurting for cash real bad!). 

#21 Posted by steevl (182 posts) -

Awesome. I loved the original game, and had no doubt there'd be a followup of some sort. I didn't expect a full-on sequel!

#22 Posted by IamTerics (352 posts) -

Hopefully this one will be harder.

#23 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

Well that's what happens when you let the fans name your game.

#24 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

Glad to see more news is going to be posted here on GB! Cannot wait for Shooter 2 though, played the first one to death.

#25 Edited by roughplague (131 posts) -

I think Pixeljunk: Shooter should've been called; PixelJunk: Fluids, or PixelJunk; Elements. 

Anyway, I just finished the first one today, so this was convenient, I went back to shooter today cuz I was bored, and I knew I was at the last boss. Though I was enjoying the game, I just put it down for several months without touching it, I think another game came out idk. 

I'm excited for the new one, there was moderate variety in the first one, but I want to see more, more fluids, more levels, less diamond hunting, in fact, I would like them to just have the diamonds there for trophies or bonuses, not as a requirement.

#26 Posted by MjHealy (1737 posts) -

I still haven't played the first game yet but I may get around to it someday.

Congrats Mr. Matt, good to see more news passing through the site.

#27 Posted by cooljammer00 (1285 posts) -

Oh snap it's Matt from the stream!  Not that Matt, the other one!

#28 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Congrats Matt.

#29 Posted by PLWolf (907 posts) -

Awesome! I love this game.

#30 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

Just when I was getting into the first one, the game ended. And it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Seriously though, they are really calling this PJS 2? Not just episode 2?

#31 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

I liked the first game, but I hope there's a little more content/re-playability this time around.

#32 Posted by ky326 (254 posts) -

Hi Matt. Nice to meet you.

#33 Posted by Devil240Z (3052 posts) -

AHHHHH NOT THE BEES!

#34 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

This article missed a great opportunity of using the headline: Double the fluids, double the fun!

#35 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

PixelJunk Shooter 1 was right up my alley so knowing they're making a second one is good news to me.

#36 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -

what the fuck do you even put on a page to get 2500 points??

#37 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I'm happy that they are making a PixelJunk Shooter 2 so this will be out right when I get my PS3.

#38 Posted by swamplord666 (1752 posts) -

although i'm happy to be seeing more, i'm dissappointed for 2 reasons: 
1. the first one was extremely short and i was hoping the cliffhangar would be revieled as an expansion, not a sequel 
2. this totally messes up pixeljunk making one word, no sequel games :( (petty i know :P )

#39 Posted by Sharpshooter (874 posts) -

Excellent, Shooter is an really fun game with great music and I was hoping that they would anounce the sequel at E3 this year, but I guess we get an early E3 present this year from Q games. 

Also congrats on the job Matt.
#40 Posted by jimmdogg (68 posts) -

Good for you buddy.  I was just thinking that they needed a news guy.

#41 Posted by Stackboy (446 posts) -

I just watched the QL for Pixeljunk Shooter the other day for the first time, so maybe it's time I picked that up, since the sequel was announced!

#42 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -
PixelJunk Shooter Two 

Too many syllables! So much for their no sequel pledge. How can I ever trust them again!?!?
#43 Posted by skyboost (34 posts) -

yeah! more fluid dynamics and fluid dynamics!

#44 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

Sold
#45 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I remember I attempted to listen to that community podcast a while ago. Worst piece of audio I've ever heard. Just a group of kids trying to imitate the GB crew and act stupid to be funny.

#46 Posted by WindFall259 (353 posts) -

I will scream if I hear Kumi Koda in that ship.

#47 Posted by geirr (2377 posts) -

Good, I'd love me some more Pixeljunk Shooter! 
Only one of their Pixeljunk series I've bothered playing through.
Online multiplayer/Co-op of some sort would be cool.

#48 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

Yesssssssssssss!

#49 Posted by Happy (261 posts) -

I am disappointed to learn your last name is not actually Bodega.

#50 Posted by Murdouken (707 posts) -

You're a great guy Matt Bodega, a great guy. 

The PixelJunk games look SO GOOD. Why on earth can't they come to the PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.