Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PixelJunk SideScroller

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

A side scrolling shooter set in the same universe as PixelJunk Shooter series

IGN caught lying about PixelJunk Sidescroller review

• 131 results
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, the reviewer didn't play it on Normal? That's fucked up in itself! The only time you do that is when Normal isn't an option.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Ouch, I thought Daemon Hatfield was cooler than that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Oh IGN...

You know, playing it on casual isn't the bad part, it's not telling the truth about it. Just come out and admit that you're a jabroni who can't beat it in a timely manner on the regular difficulty.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

That is despicable.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

So, what I'm getting is the reviewer rushed as fast as he could through the game on casual, lied about it and said he beat it on normal, but got caught because you don't see the actual full ending unless you play on normal?

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beckley205

Noob

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @CL60 said:

So, what I'm getting is the reviewer rushed as fast as he could through the game on casual, lied about it and said he beat it on normal, but got caught because you don't see the actual full ending unless you play on normal?

Seems like it.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Getz

"How can you lose credibility when you never had any to begin with"

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

@CL60 said:

Or is it actually 1/4 of the game he missed out on? The review says there's 3 stages and dylancuthbert said the last stage opens up after beating it on normal.

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoArmed

Reminds me of Game Informer's review where they said that the recent Aliens Vs. Predator game only had one multiplayer mode (deathmatch). Regardless of your opinion of the game or the rest of the review/score, that is just false. The DEMO had just that mode, the full game had more than that.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Julmust

Haha, his name is Daemon Hatfield... Oh and that is fucking bitchtits, review the game properly when you're doing it as a professional. Please?

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By OroJackson

I don't see too inherently bad about playing it on casual, its the lying that makes it so messed up. Transparency is always the best policy when it comes to things like these.

Playing a game on casual is a viable way to play a game, there's no bylaw saying that X game should has to be reviewed on Y difficulty for the review to be credible, and locking up part of your game for those playing on a lower difficulty doesn't seem like the best design choice.

Just don't fucking lie about it, it makes the review lose it's credibility and makes you look like a snake.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

The fact that he went back and edited the review is kind of sad.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

Really? Uh, I don't know what to think about that. I don't really like the IGN staff, but I kind of like to see their reviews. It's always kind of awkward to see developers clash with critics huh? I'll just say this if IGN is the bad guys on this part; that's fucked up IGN.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This industry is a fucking cesspool.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

Probably just a communication problem.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

@Jolt92 said:

Haha, his name is Daemon Hatfield... Oh and that is fucking bitchtits, review the game properly when you're doing it as a professional. Please?

You'd think that most would, but apparently not. Sterling reviewed Battlefield 3 after playing the multiplayer for only 1 hour and 45 mins. Half of his criticisms were leveled against things that he had only spent minutes experiencing. Fat tits thought that no one would know, but that shit got out fast. Fucking reviewers want people to take them seriously and act like they're part of a profession but don't get that being part of a profession means that you gotta act like a fucking professional - that means spending more than 2 hours on a game with as much content as BF3.

jayhall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jayhall

this is fucking disgusting. Hatfield is putting a number on this game without even giving it an opportunity. someone should message patrick this, gb should have an article on this on their main page

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By N7

That's not cool. Rush through the game all you want. Lie to the developers face all you want. But don't go back and edit the review so you don't get exposed as a dumb jerk :(

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    No Caption Provided
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Getz

@jayhall said:

this is fucking disgusting. Hatfield is putting a number on this game without even giving it an opportunity. someone should message patrick this, gb should have an article on this on their main page

I seriously doubt muckraking other journos is high on Patrick's to-do list. That's what internet forums are for.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60

@RsistncE said:

@Jolt92 said:

You'd think that most would, but apparently not. Sterling reviewed Battlefield 3 after playing the multiplayer for only 1 hour and 45 mins. Half of his criticisms were leveled against things that he had only spent minutes experiencing. Fat tits thought that no one would know, but that shit got out fast. Fucking reviewers want people to take them seriously and act like they're part of a profession but don't get that being part of a profession means that you gotta act like a fucking professional - that means spending more than 2 hours on a game with as much content as BF3.

Really? I haven't read about that.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By wunder_

Please get both sides of the story before you yell out profanities against IGN.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TomA

IGN is a horrible site. How are they even still in business? I wish more people were critical of game journalism, that way we wouldn't have this kind of shit.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffsekai

Someones getting fireddddd

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Claude said:
    Yeah, Daemon didn't properly communicate that he lied about finishing the game on Normal when he played it on casual.  He tried to let his ninja edit do that for him.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE

@CL60 said:

@RsistncE said:

@Jolt92 said:

Yeah. Between all three game modes he spent less than 5 hours, with only 1 hour and 45 minutes in multiplayer. What a joke.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

@RsistncE: Did he even play all the maps?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Claude said:

Yeah, Daemon didn't properly communicate that he lied about finishing the game on Normal when he played it on casual.  He tried to let his ninja edit do that for him.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Daemon's response is priceless.  What a liar.

October 26, 2011 by daemon-IGN

So today I reviewed PixelJunk SideScroller. I played on a PlayStation 3 test kit with review code provided by Sony. I gave it a 6.5. One of the developers was upset and accused me of not playing the game on the normal difficulty. This isn't true -- I beat SideScroller twice, once on casual and then on normal. The content was exactly the same in both play throughs. When I assured the developer I had played on normal, he said I would have unlocked an "epic last stage." I was confused, because I didn't seem to unlock anything except the hard difficulty.

To clarify, there are three stages in SideScroller. In both casual and normal mode, when you complete all three stages you unlock the "last stage." So I played through this last stage on both difficulties.

I thought this line in my review might be bothering him: "Finish the last stage and defeat the final boss and what is your reward? A swift kick back to the title screen with no more than "congratulations.""

That is technically a true statement, although after completing normal mode there is a brief scene telling you you've unlocked hard mode. That scene was not significant to me, but upon reflection I thought maybe I wasn't being fair. So I removed the above sentence from my review, not to hide anything but in a hope to not mislead anyone into thinking there isn't a brief little something at the end of the game, however insignificant. To me, this wasn't an important change to the review -- it didn't change my score and all the important information about the game is still there. Tweaking articles is common practice on the internet. Should we notate every change to an article we make? Perhaps, but IGN doesn't have a standard in place for doing so.

Anyways, I should have just left the article the way it was because there was nothing factually wrong with it and changing seems to have bothered some people, including the developer. I put the sentence back in and am writing this blog post to try and clear things up.

I think PixelJunk SideScroller is an "okay" game, which is what a 6.5 means on the IGN scale. I beat it on both normal and casual modes and saw the same content in both play throughs. The only perk I can find for beating the game on normal is unlocking hard mode.

Daemon

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lautaro

@RsistncE said:

@CL60 said:

@RsistncE said:

@Jolt92 said:

Yeah. Between all three game modes he spent less than 5 hours, with only 1 hour and 45 minutes in multiplayer. What a joke.

What on PC? I assume he played it more on the consoles.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By drace

@Getz said:

@jayhall said:

I seriously doubt muckraking other journos is high on Patrick's to-do list. That's what internet forums are for.

This.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jeffsekai

@SeriouslyNow: Is there video showing the casual ending vs normal?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jeffsekai said:

Dunno, that's not really the issue here though. 
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By delta_ass

Why would a reviewer play a game through on both easy and normal? Wouldn't it make sense to just play through on normal and save yourself some time? This is what sounds fishy to me.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kishinfoulux

The fact that he tried to DC it with that silly blog post makes it even more hilarious.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jeffsekai

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Dunno, that's not really the issue here though.

Yes it is? If everyone is taking issue because the reviewer didn't mention some cut scene after beating it on normal I think it's important to see the difference between the two modes, maybe the final cut scene really is nothing special and then boots you to the title screen?

You call him a liar because of his response, why? What proof do you have other than a dev taking offence with a shitty review score.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By leburgan

@SeriouslyNow: How is he lying?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By SSully

@Delta_Ass said:

Why would a reviewer play a game through on both easy and normal? Wouldn't it make sense to just play through on normal and save yourself some time? This is what sounds fishy to me.

Yeah that's pretty much the point.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't some of the crew staff play games on easy? I dont know if they do it for reviews, but I could of sworn I have heard them talk about playing games on easy before, specifically Dead Space 2.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By TheKing
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Wow, unprofessional indeed.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Surkov

I'm playing this game on normal right now and it's kicking my ass. I love it and I can see why Daemon would play through it on Casual. If he didn't lie about it then none of this would be an issue.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AngelN7

Ohh poor videogame reviewers give them a break you guys don´t you see how hard is their job? playing games all day and then write a 3 page article about it so hard! /sarcasm kidding aside those people need to take their jobs seriously playing a game on easy? , play a few hours of a multiplayer game then critizice come on! , I know you need the writing skills to make a good article that expresses your experience with the game and at the same time trying to point out the flaws without them being of personal taste but that won´t take too long if thats the only thing you do half of their job is to play games so yeah.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

That's odd.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RE_Player1

@Jeffsekai: The general tone of the unedited review is that the game is too easy and can be finished rather quickly. I would assume normal is harder than casual and that the extra level at the end would add something more to the game. In the end 6.5 isn't a terrible score and I don't think people, or at least myself, are upset with that but rather he whipped through the game on casual to get the review up quickly and in doing so that effected his experience of the game.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RE_Player1

@SSully: That was Jeff and he wasn't on review for that game so he chose easy. No problem with that, he's on his own time. The GB staff are pretty up front that they play games for review on the default or normal difficulty setting.

thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thekeenan

I don't know about the ending on casual as I have only beaten it on normal, but it has a pretty awesome ending that kinda caught me off guard. I don't want to spoil too much but the most interesting part of the ending are the voice actors.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vonocourt

As usual, this will be a controversial subject for a few day only to be forgotten until another scandal happens where the link will be post along with "You see, this isn't new."

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE

@msavo: He played less than half of the maps.

@Lautaro: Not sure if battlelog combines stats across platforms. All I know is that his battlelog profile reported those playtimes just after the review had gone up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.