Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I'm Switching!!!

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I've had a 360 since launch and I have really enjoyed it. The console had plenty of great games that were fun to play but the glaring issue of the 360's reliability has been bothering me. I've sent my console back 5 times and I've had enough.  I want a console that is much more solid and reliable and I think that answer is the PS3. The PS3 has a great line up of games and the online is actually free. That leads me to another 360 turnoff.... the price gouging on the marketplace. I haven't compared prices so they might be the same but it seems that arcade games are just going up and up and I don't want to foot the bill anymore. Maybe if I don't pay for XBL I'll have more cash for arcade stuff. Also the 360's lineup is not stellar right now. Gears of War and Halo are the two biggest franchises that I'll miss but they'll be replaced with stuff like killzone and resistance.

It kinda sucks because I've spent so much on 360 but I think this is the right choice.  I ultimately just want a console that actually works and that is not the 360

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I've had a 360 since launch and I have really enjoyed it. The console had plenty of great games that were fun to play but the glaring issue of the 360's reliability has been bothering me. I've sent my console back 5 times and I've had enough.  I want a console that is much more solid and reliable and I think that answer is the PS3. The PS3 has a great line up of games and the online is actually free. That leads me to another 360 turnoff.... the price gouging on the marketplace. I haven't compared prices so they might be the same but it seems that arcade games are just going up and up and I don't want to foot the bill anymore. Maybe if I don't pay for XBL I'll have more cash for arcade stuff. Also the 360's lineup is not stellar right now. Gears of War and Halo are the two biggest franchises that I'll miss but they'll be replaced with stuff like killzone and resistance.

It kinda sucks because I've spent so much on 360 but I think this is the right choice.  I ultimately just want a console that actually works and that is not the 360

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Switching to dudes? K, thx.

...seriously, if you've got both, there's no reason not to use both. Exclusivity is lame. If I had the cash, I'd put a PS3 right next to my 360 right now.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "I ultimately just want a console that actually works and that is not the 360"
    1. Fill tub with water.
    2. Get in.
    3. Bring plugged-in toaster with you.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

Don't bash him. I think it's really a toss up at this point between the PS3 and 360. Multiplatform games will probably always be better on the 360 but the PS3 has some pretty wacky and cool stuff in it's marketplace. If I could pick I'd still choose my 360 but I can see where he's coming from. The PS3 isn't such a joke anymore now that there's plenty of really good games on it.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Babble
    TooWalrus said:
    "Switching to dudes? K, thx....seriously, if you've got both, there's no reason not to use both. Exclusivity is lame. If I had the cash, I'd put a PS3 right next to my 360 right now."
    Exactly, I don't know why people have to bash other systems, or put themself in a "camp" for one console. It's a waste of time. 
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

Babble: it's not a camp... its money. I have limited funds and I just want to spend money on a single console. I still like the 360 so im not going to bash it saying it sucks or anything. I'm not a fanboy or anything i just wanted a change... thats it. I just listed some of the reasons i want to switch.  There are several good things about 360 that the PS3 doesn't have. I'm really surprised by the immaturity of some of the people here

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Luke

The only switching you'll be doing is on your HDMI Switch Box. 

Both systems have great games, it's not like you'll be giving up on your 360 completely. 

The PS3 sure does look like it's gunna have more to play though, this year.  We'll see.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Babble
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "Babble: it's not a camp... its money. I have limited funds and I just want to spend money on a single console. I still like the 360 so im not going to bash it saying it sucks or anything. I'm not a fanboy or anything i just wanted a change... thats it. I just listed some of the reasons i want to switch.  There are several good things about 360 that the PS3 doesn't have. I'm really surprised by the immaturity of some of the people here"
    Then by all means make the switch. It's different if it's about money but too often we see posts on here doing it for other reasons. I meant to add that in but rewrote it and forgot to include that.
    I wasn't specifcally speaking to your OP when I said "bashing" just a trend that often occurs.
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

Ya i understand that. I get pissed at that fanboy stuff as well. Each console has pros and cons but most of the time thats ignored

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    " I ultimately just want a console that actually works and that is not the 360"
    People are still saying this regardless of how fixed up they are now? me and 3 of my friends have had our 360s since launch with 0 problems. Although that may be rare for launch, they are completely fine right now and if yours keeps breaking take it out of such a confined place.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Sushbag

You have Puppets as your picture, therefore everything you say is correct. Ignore everyone else and go with your heart, kid.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I don't get why almost everyone here is upset with this guy. His 360 broke numerous times and he just wants a reliable system. Hell, I'd trade in my 360 if it weren't for the one or two exclusives that I'd like to pick up every year.

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

Ya Sleepy that was the hard thing... I love Halo and Gears but ill still play them some how

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Babble
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "Ya Sleepy that was the hard thing... I love Halo and Gears but ill still play them some how"
    So are you selling your 360 to get the PS3? Or is it broken and you just aren't going to send it in again?
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zityz

5 times? I feel bad for you dude, thats some shiity luck. They do have some good stuff on there. The thing that sucks is getting rid of all the games you enjoy playing on the 360.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Cerza

Honestly, the PS3 isn't manufactured much better than the 360. It's just that the PlayStation isn't the majority system any more so you don't hear about it's problems that much. One of my co-workers is on his third PS3, because the previous two started having disc drive problems, each one after about a year of regular use. The laser burned out on the first one, which was a launch system and I told him that was to be expected. While the second system started to have laser issues and then the motor that powers the disc drive went and it ate his Uncharted disc. I don't want to deter you from buying a PS3. I have one and love it, but am just trying to set the record straight so you know what your getting involved with before spending all that money to buy one since hardware issues seem to be a big thing for you.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By azteris
    Cerza said:
    "Honestly, the PS3 isn't manufactured much better than the 360. It's just that the PlayStation isn't the majority system any more so you don't hear about it's problems that much. One of my co-workers is on his third PS3, because the previous two started having disc drive problems, each one after about a year of regular use. The laser burned out on the first one, which was a launch system and I told him that was to be expected. While the second system started to have laser issues and then the motor that powers the disc drive went and it ate his Uncharted disc. I don't want to deter you from buying a PS3. I have one and love it, but am just trying to set the record straight so you know what your getting involved with before spending all that money to buy one since hardware issues seem to be a big thing for you. "
    That's why you hear about all those PS3 hardware failures in magazines, websites, podcasts, and forums.
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azteris
    Vinchenzo said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "I ultimately just want a console that actually works and that is not the 360"
    1. Fill tub with water.
    2. Get in.
    3. Bring plugged-in toaster with you.
    "
    You could just say "I'm an xbox fanboy" and save yourself time.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just had 360 #2 break on me, it sucks not having one. The only reason I haven't just bought a PS3 is because none of my friends have one, and.....well, achievements. I know the PS3 offers trophies but they just aren't the same to me. If they could overhaul the 360's design, even if it made it look like shit, I'd be all for it. As long as they had a console that wouldn't break.

Also I think the RROD is partly caused by DVD movies. I know a few friends who have had their's break while or after having played a DVD. I remember having trouble with them too. Every time I would go to the dashboard from a DVD my 360 would become really loud, and it would keep getting louder, like a car accelerating. I'd have to shut it off for fear of it blowing up or something. I ramble.

Anyways just some food for thought. I know I'm never using my 360 to play DVD's again.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Cerza
    Azteris said:
    "Cerza said:
    "Honestly, the PS3 isn't manufactured much better than the 360. It's just that the PlayStation isn't the majority system any more so you don't hear about it's problems that much. One of my co-workers is on his third PS3, because the previous two started having disc drive problems, each one after about a year of regular use. The laser burned out on the first one, which was a launch system and I told him that was to be expected. While the second system started to have laser issues and then the motor that powers the disc drive went and it ate his Uncharted disc. I don't want to deter you from buying a PS3. I have one and love it, but am just trying to set the record straight so you know what your getting involved with before spending all that money to buy one since hardware issues seem to be a big thing for you. "
    That's why you hear about all those PS3 hardware failures in magazines, websites, podcasts, and forums."
    Read beyond the first sentence next time please, as it says "It's just that the PlayStation isn't the majority system any more so you don't hear about it's problems that much." Which is TRUE. The PS3 has it's problems just as the 360 and Wii have theirs. Remember all the problems with the PS1 and PS2? Do you actually think Sony learned their lesson in the hardware and manufacturing department from those? Hell No! All the previous two PlayStation's did was teach Sony how to make boat loads of money. But again, you don't hear about the problems with the PS3 that much, because IT'S NOT THE MAJORITY SYSTEM, but that isn't to say that it doesn't have problems.

You will always hear more about widespread incidents and issues than those on a smaller scale and the PS3 is on a smaller scale. The only reason you hear about all the problems with the 360 all the time is because almost everyone owns one this generation just like almost everyone owned a PS2 last generation.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60
    Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "I just had 360 #2 break on me, it sucks not having one. The only reason I haven't just bought a PS3 is because none of my friends have one, and.....well, achievements. I know the PS3 offers trophies but they just aren't the same to me. If they could overhaul the 360's design, even if it made it look like shit, I'd be all for it. As long as they had a console that wouldn't break. Also I think the RROD is partly caused by DVD movies. I know a few friends who have had their's break while or after having played a DVD. I remember having trouble with them too. Every time I would go to the dashboard from a DVD my 360 would become really loud, and it would keep getting louder, like a car accelerating. I'd have to shut it off for fear of it blowing up or something. I ramble. Anyways just some food for thought. I know I'm never using my 360 to play DVD's again."
    RROD is caused by people putting there 360 in a hot area so it overheats. Put it in an air conditioned area...their problem solved...
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crunchUK

k bai i can't say i'm bothered. Don't come crying to us when your greatest francvhis is a demo

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Shadow2K6

zOMG!!!!  I didn't think you were going to do it so soon when you told me on XBL.  Well when you get our PS3 let me know and I'll add you on my friends list ;).

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Pibo47

....k?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By subject2change
    crunchUK said:
    "k bai i can't say i'm bothered. Don't come crying to us when your greatest francvhis is a demo"
    You sound like a bitter XBOX Fanboy that for some reason, despite you probably being a teenager and having nothing at all in Microsoft besides money it in some way affects you.

Being right now only a PS3 owner of this current gen I am quite satisfied with the system, fortunately for me I have a BC model (it is only software and has its problems but nothing too bad) and I do play a lot of PS1 and PS2 titles. I have to say I am quite pleased with the system overall but the 360 does have things to offer. if you are heavy into multiplayer games and like to chat with friends privately the 360 is probably the system for you for atleast some titles. For me I generally console by myself or if it is online with random people with an occassional friend or two. However yes the PS3 has its flaws and can fail just like any other piece of hardware going from computer parts, to dvd players, to tvs and to video game consoles; however the 360 has 2 well known issues the E74 Error and RRoD while the PS3 does have its variation the Yellow Light of Death it isn't as widely known because it has about a .1% rate of occuring  typically from turning off the system while something is being saved. Personally I think the PS3 is about to hit its peak as with the PS2 it took a while for programmers to get into the system and get a feel for it hopefully with God of War and Heavy Rain the PS3 will shine. Keep both systems and play titles on which systems controller you'd prefer or based on multiplayer where your friends are playing.

However take care of your things, make sure they are well ventilated and not in a closed area or  close to a wall. Give them time to rest and don't run them all the time. 5 Times seems a lot and you've either had really bad luck or are mistreating your system in some way.
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eclipsesis

IM switching dudes, im no longer a ps3 owner im going back to the sega master system

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
    Cerza said:
    This is rubbish. All electronics break... except the current figures last time I researched them (and you'll have to believe that I DID post sources with these in previous threads / EDIT added sources) were PS3/Wii 1% chance of failure; XBOX 360 33% chance of failure.

The PS3 is of better build quality. Full stop. End. That's it. It's almost silent and is much less likely to break than a 360, though as already mentioned, ANY electronic system CAN break.

I think you'll enjoy the Playstation 3 a lot TC. I made my choice to switch to PS3 based on similar reasons as you, and I've never looked back really. The PS3 has only ever managed to surprise me. Which is a lovely feeling.

I love the way Sony greenlight some really whacky stuff. You don't see many other companies doing that.

EDIT:

Here are my sources:

http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failure-rate-xbox-360-high-as-33-sony-ps3-less-than-1/
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/take-that,-msoft/ps3-failure-rate-less-than-one-percent-275179.php
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/136054/sony_claims_ps3_failure_rate_of_less_than_1_percent.html
    http://playstation.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/store-managers-detail-ps3-failure-rate-at-less-than-1/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics.ars
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2007/may/31/whatsthetrue
    http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2

Etc.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By super_machine

Cool, its a fun machine. Sure the 360 has some great games, but their hardware quality is questionable (sony isnt perfect either), and I hate their practice of buying exclusive DLC. Sure I might buy fallout 3 on the PS3, but I'd eventually want all the DLC. Oh, sorry MS forked over tons of cash for exclusive rights to that. Exclusive DLC is the Bullshit of the current generation and I'm sick of MS getting all the goods.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thiago

Just throw that piece of crap in the garbage and buy yourself a decent hardware. It is the best thing you can do. BTW, Uncharted is pretty good. You won't miss 360 games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.