Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Playstation Move has sold 4.1 Million, your thoughts.

• 73 results
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137413p1.html     

So it seems Move has past Kinect sales, not that I really care about the competition, but I am glad it is doing well because I did buy the Move day 1. Hopefully more games like Killzone 3, Sly Collection, and Resident Evil 5 supports it because of what I've seen and played of those games the controls are great. Are you guys happy the Move has so far been successful?  
    @ryanwho said: 

" Dumbass OP doesn't know the difference between "sold" and "shipped". Thoughts? "

Yes I confused sold to consumers with sold to retailers and I apologize. Also let me check... yes I am in fact a dumbass for this confusion. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Kinect has been out for 2 weeks.  Move has been out since September, hardly surprising to see that it has higher sales.
    Having tried both, can't say I was very impressed with either and I'm not happy to see them both doing so well.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By valrog

I'm quite intrigued by Move, so I guess it's okay that's it's doing well.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Kinect has been out for 2 weeks.  Move has been out since September, hardly surprising to see that it has higher sales. Having tried both, can't say I was very impressed with either and I'm not happy to see them both doing so well. "
    I can understand your stance as most of the games for both Kinect and Move are garbage. Hopefully people buy good games for both, Dance Central and Sly collection as examples, and show Microsoft and Sony that we don't want mini game collections and fitness games all the time. Both have promise but it really depends on the games. 
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Still no games for it. Mine is gathering dust. 
    You would think I would have learned my lesson from the Sega CD add on or the 32X but no...........................

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DG991

Since kinect seems like mostly it is geared towards casual gamers, I am interested if the move can be what the wii failed to be and never meant to be. A new type of controller for "hard core" gamers. 
    I wanna see some of that FPS action with actual aiming,

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By killroycantkill

O_o DANG! 

My thoughts are that is WAY more then I though it would sell. I haven't used it yet except for in store demos but I don't think I'll be picking it up. I made that mistake already with the EyeToy for the PS2, and my Playstation Eye which I have only used for Burnout Paradise.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scarace360

Seems better than connect. I would like to see what they do with it later.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@RE_Player92:   Well, I wouldn't say I'm as completely against motion controls as some people are, if they're used right.  I can definitely see potential in both platforms.  But Kinect still feels like it's very much in it's early days..  The only thing that would ever make me consider buying one would be a sequel to Black & White or Viva Pinata.  Games that could take advantage of the technology and really benefit the game, rather than feel unnecessary and tacked on.  But it's use for "core" games seems limited.  Move on the other hand didn't really impress me at all, it felt very much like "been there, done that" but could at least be applied to more standard games to better affect..  Though in those cases I'd rather just use a regular controller anyway.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Levio

I could sell 4.1 million copies of "The best of Mike Tyson on SNL" if I put some effort into it.  Try harder Sony.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Not impressive, the Wii sold more.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By LibraryDues

Also bear in mind the need to buy multiple Move controllers to play multiplayer games, so the install base is surely significantly smaller than the total number of Moves sold.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Keeng

It's awesome to me. It's great that something like that sells considering it's not just a tool for casual players. I've had it since day one and I've used it in casual settings for family and whatnot as well as with hardcore games like RE5 and Heavy Rain. It made both of those experience better. It's nice to hear that a motion controller is selling well without having that feeling of "and games as we know them are slowly dying." 

The argument that multiplayer Move games require more than one controller so these sales aren't impressive is kinda weak, in my opinion. If anything, it shows people like the thing and/or the games they're playing with it so much that they spent more money to get other people involved. 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vorbis

Like with the Kinect, it really means nothing until there is software for it. Not willing to buy either just because they have "potential".

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By coaxmetal

Wow, that is 1.72 million times as many sales as the kinect!

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Bigrhyno

I will continue to dislike both until a game comes out that can convince me that motion gaming can be better than a controller. All the Wii games I like pretty much involve holding the controller sideways.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Jayross

I'm sure people who did buy a move bought an extra controller.

Also, Sony says these are the amount of units shipped... So yeah...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Hamz

Surprising given that Sony have done a terrible job marketing and advertising the Move system. 

You can tell why Kinect sold as much as it did in such a short time because Microsoft pumped so much money into advertising it. But I've yet t see anything for Move :(

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayross
    @Riboflavin Thats million bucks.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By guiseppe

I'm not really interested in either Move or Kinect, but I will say that out of the two, Move has always seemed better and more fun.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dany
    @Riboflavin said:
    " Wow, that is 1.72 million times as many sales as the kinect! "
    It was released in September, Kinect was early this month
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By DukeTogo

Just like the console it's running on, the games will determine the value.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayross
    @Dany Kinect was $150, Move: $50.

So... yea... And considering the time both products have been out, and that Sony is counting shipped, not sales units, Sony doesn't have that much to boast about.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Marz

Fuck motion controls, give me telepathic control already.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeforgotten
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Kinect has been out for 2 weeks.  Move has been out since September, hardly surprising to see that it has higher sales. Having tried both, can't say I was very impressed with either and I'm not happy to see them both doing so well. "
    I can understand your stance as most of the games for both Kinect and Move are garbage. Hopefully people buy good games for both, Dance Central and Sly collection as examples, and show Microsoft and Sony that we don't want mini game collections and fitness games all the time. Both have promise but it really depends on the games.  "
    MAG, Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, and some of the upcoming games (Sorcery was a great thing at E3!) aren't garbage. 
    But that's just my opinion, can't fault you for saying what you think. 
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nick_verissimo

I think it's great that both the Kinect and Move are being purchased, but there still isn't a lot of need to buy these things yet, if ever.  They will be like the Wii in that you'll find a game or two each year that will be worth playing and that's about it.  I'm still sort of interested in that Sorcery game with the move...could be fun.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Dear MS, Sony, and Ninty,

Please stop trying to "revolutionise" (devolve) your controllers to attract an audience of people who don't give a shit, and start trying to revolutionise so you don't lose the audience that has been loyal to you three for years, even decades.

crazy4carolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crazy4carolina

Well I have neither Move or Kinect, but just by watching people use them and everything. I think Kinect is just another stupid camera, so I'm not surprised that Move has better sales. But in my opinion Move just looks like another Wii Remote type thing. And that's probably another reason why it got more sales because the Wii is a family thing so I bet Sony made Move so that families will play PS3 instead of Xbox and Wii. But also remember that Move came out before Kinect.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dallas_Raines
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AuthenticM

I look forward to killing Helghasts with the move.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy
    @Lord_Yeti:

WTF it even outsold the iPad! Just like Microsoft said!

Maybe they are soothsayers.

So Move came out in Mid September and Kinect came out early November. The Move has been out for 2.5 months and the Kinect isn't even at one month. 

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SomeJerk

Kinect budget for marketing hyping shilling brainwashing: $500 million US
    Move budget was..?

No matter, MS have infinite money.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Siphillis

Kevin Butler, hard at work. 

(Seriously, can anyone name three Move launch titles?)

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Supermarius
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    I can understand your stance as most of the games for both Kinect and Move are garbage. Hopefully people buy good games for both, Dance Central and Sly collection as examples, and show Microsoft and Sony that we don't want mini game collections and fitness games all the time. Both have promise but it really depends on the games.  "
    people are buying it but there is a shockingly anemic software push for it. Microsoft is getting all the mindshare and i don't think it's some conspiracy. There are just way more people putting out kinect games than move games.  The move may have more potential because of its precision, but potential is not going to keep selling it. Games will.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

Cool, more motion. If and when I get a PS3, I'm all over a PS3/Move bundle.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tsoglani

I want both Kinect and Move to fail; seriously, I hate the direction that gaming seems to be going in.

And my opinion remains that there is nothing like a standard games controller; if I wanted to go outside and play games, or exercise, then I would rather do the real thing, rather than perform stupid looking movements in my bedroom or lounge room. C'mon, people! Don't buy this shit...

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Voxatron
    @Siphillis said:

" Kevin Butler, hard at work.  (Seriously, can anyone name three Move launch titles?) "

Move sports champions, The Shoot, and yep damn.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By gamb1t
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    same goes for 360 coming out before the ps3. quit your bitchen.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy
    @gamb1t said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

same goes for 360 coming out before the ps3. quit your bitchen. "

While it is the same premise, Kinect hasn't been out for a month so it's still too early to tell in the long run. There were quite a few things different about the 360 and PS3 launches too. Probably by the summer we'll see which one has more legs and which sold best. It's interesting to note that if the Move sold at the rate Kinect is selling at now though, it would be near 7 million. Not only that, Move comes in different packages so you'll have to buy different controllers parts if you didn't buy the bundle, which I'm sure not everyone bought. A single move controller is 50 bucks so it's also a LOT cheaper. 

Another thing to note is that these number are units SHIPPED, not sold. They probably sold more around 3.5 million. There are simply too many variables to determine the Move sales. Are they talking about the main controller, or the attachment, or both? What about the ones I'm guessing just one main controller. All in all these numbers aren't really that impressive.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @gamb1t: That's a fair point, but nothing really to do with this subject.  But most arguments over 'which console has sold more' take into account the fact the 360 was out for almost a year before the PS3.  Even with the adjusted figures the 360 sales are still higher.

Regardless, it just seemed unfair to compare a product that's been out for a mere two weeks to one that's been out for almost 4 months.  Trying to claim Move is performing better based on that is moderately ridiculous, especially with how unclear the Move figures are.  Sony themselves pointed out that the number is only for units shipped and not actually sold.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By animateria

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but... 

PS Move SHIPPED 4.1 MILLION TO RETAILERS. 

They didn't sell 4.1million.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bubahula

didnt they just say 4.1 million were shipped to stores?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JoelTGM

wow I didn't think it was actually doing well, seeing as I've had no urge to buy it at all.  I don't see any good games for it.  With Kinect it's the same way, although it has Dance Central which looks like a good game, but I have zero interest in dancing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

I think that a lot of those sales are in Japan, while a lot of Kinect sales are in North America. I know quite a few people with a Kinect but no one I know has Move. Of course I'm not basing this off my own personal observations but you know what I mean.

Avatar image for _girl_of_steel_
    *Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
    @animateria said:
    " I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but... 

PS Move SHIPPED 4.1 MILLION TO RETAILERS.  They didn't sell 4.1million. "
    Nope it's sales, the key thing should be worldwide.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xyzygy
    @_girl_of_steel_ said:
    " @animateria said:
    " I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but... 

PS Move SHIPPED 4.1 MILLION TO RETAILERS.  They didn't sell 4.1million. "
    Nope it's sales, the key thing should be worldwide. "

You're wrong. It's shipped to retailers, not sales. The Kinect numbers ARE in fact sold to consumers though. 

Source

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

Dumbass OP doesn't know the difference between "sold" and "shipped". Thoughts?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ryanwho said:

" Dumbass OP doesn't know the difference between "sold" and "shipped". Thoughts? "

Hey man, sometimes you gotta throw caution, details and facts to the wind.
    Especially when there's console war honour at stake!

Btw, does anyone know exactly what a "unit" of Move is? A camera, wand, nunchuck, bundle?
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By niamahai

IMO Sony needs to man up and tell everybody that Move is the default controller for PS3. 

Discontinue the DS3.
    Get Kevin Butler to go "STFU! THIS HOW YOU DO IT NOW!"
    Instant 100% Move adoption rate.

I am a marketing genius.
    You are not allowed to dispute this logic.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @ryanwho said:

Hey man, sometimes you gotta throw caution, details and facts to the wind. Especially when there's console war honour at stake!   Btw, does anyone know exactly what a "unit" of Move is? A camera, wand, nunchuck, bundle? "
    75% of these numbers are based on bundles. I don't know that there's a clear way to measure people who individually buy move controllers, the eye, and the other thing. I guess maybe they add 1 unit of each item together and count that as a Move sale?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.