Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

What Sony Franchise Can Overtake Gran Turismo?

• 57 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup PS3 owners, 

As many of you have heard, Gran Turismo 5 in it's first six weeks has become the top selling racing game this generation while also becoming the top selling PS3 exclusive.  Much like GT/GT2 were for the PSone, and GT3/GT4 were for the PS2.  It should also be noted that the game that sold the most on the PS3 before GT5 was GT5P (which also at the time was the top selling racing game on this generation)...so yeah, the top two selling PS3 exclusives are both Gran Turismo 5 products.  Combined sales of these two are well over the 10 million mark. 

Throughout the entire history of Sony products, GT series has always been the top seller.  MGS4 came close to beating it for the PS3 but failed.  UC2 was a couple million short as well. 

So guys, what Sony Franchise has the most realistic chance of conquering the GT throne.  Could it be a new IP, or the re-start of an old franchise, or maybe even a franchise already out that hasn't hit it's apex yet? 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Uncharted 3 could very well, after its high recognition and expanded fan base via U2.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

None really. MGS maybe...

marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By marvin_martian

Overtake.  icwhatyoudidthere.

Uncharted has the best chance as far as current IPs go.  Possibly Metal Gear, but that is "over."  But ya, with a mix of amazingly high praise for UC2 and mediocre reviews for GT5, Uncharted has a good chance to outsell with their next installments.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

all of them in terms of actually being a good game.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

Uncharted 3 if they do a bigger advertising campaign. A stretch but Twisted Metal maybe? There hasn't been a vehicle fighting game in a while (well besides that one zombie one Activision pushed out). Honestly a new ip would be tough but if they can make a all around great shooter that catches more eyes (like gears and halo did) then it could sell greatly (yes i know of resistance 3 and killzone 3 both will be/are GREAT games but they arn't selling like bangbusters) or a rip off of super smash bros could do well. Other than those i would have no idea but hey you never know inFAMOUS 2 or anything can catch like fire. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aus_azn

I, also, would place it with Uncharted 3. I don't really think anything else has a chance.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ninjakiller

Twisted Metal.  Nah, idk.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sameeeeam

Uncharted? That's their strongest franchise right now, isn't it?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Uncharted 3 could very well, after its high recognition and expanded fan base via U2. "
    we can only hope.  uncharted is definitely a more deserving game IMO
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

It has? Man, Japanese will buy any piece of shit as long as it's local.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

The problem with Uncharted 3 is that it'll be up against MW3, and realistically everyone wants the better online experience.  UC2 was the best game of the year, was praised for great online...but it wasn't good enough for the majority of gamers.  There's a strong chance MW3 will cause the same effect on UC3.  

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MrKlorox: What are you talking about?  GT5 lowest sales were from Asia...
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT only sells a lot of copies because its a big name that does well in NA and Japan, regardless of the quality of the product, much like the Final Fantasy series. Also like the FF series, it has enough apologist fanboys to sustain its existence for a long, long time. That's the key to a long running franchise, you have to be able to hook in enough people who will buy and defend the game even if its horrible.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @President_Barackbar: What are you going on about?!  GT's lowest sales are in Asia and America, it's always been that way.  
    DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrHawking

None that I could see in the near future. To put out an amazing product iteration after iteration and blow people's minds with each one over as long at GT has, No other IP I can think of can touch the instal base it has.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shadows_kill
    @DrHawking said:
    " None that I could see in the near future. To put out an amazing product iteration after iteration and blow people's minds with each one over as long at GT has, No other IP I can think of can touch the instal base it has. "
    Starcraft? We are talking about the entire Korean population. unless your talking playstation then yes. 
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cameron

I think Uncharted is the only series that has a chance. Really there are only a few series that can sell like Gran Turismo and Sony won't be getting exclusive rights to GTA, Halo, or Call of Duty any time soon.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cameron: Can Uncharted really do it though right next to Modern Warfare 3?
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cameron
    @KaosAngel: 
    Probably not, but of the exclusive franchises Sony has right now it's the only one with anywhere near enough of a following to compete.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Gabriel

None, all of Sony's other franchises appeal to niches, large niches but still niches.  Maybe MGS if they keep making them, but that's going multi-platform. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
    @KaosAngel said:
    " The problem with Uncharted 3 is that it'll be up against MW3, and realistically everyone wants the better online experience.  UC2 was the best game of the year, was praised for great online...but it wasn't good enough for the majority of gamers.  There's a strong chance MW3 will cause the same effect on UC3.   "
    And BF3. Personally, out of all the multiplayer picks in the holiday season that's what I'm going for. CoD is quickly getting stale, only played around 6 hours of Blops. I know I'm kind of an anamoly, but everyone I've been talking to , even the ones that still play CoD, says that they play less than they used to a few years ago. 
    Might pick up Uncharted as well, but there's a bunch of other holiday shit I might want as well (Deus Ex if it really does get pushed back that far, Gears maybe, Skyrim)
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Red12b
    @kingzetta said:
    " all of them in terms of actually being a good game. "
    fuck off with your shit, the game is good it's the menus and UI that are shit. 

And really. does it fucking matter? I do not see the point of debating this. who out of us profits from a game outselling another? if a game does, then well done to that game, but does it change your life, does it impact your life? no.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Uncharted or Metal Gear. 
    But probably Metal Gear. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Uncharted 3 could very well, after its high recognition and expanded fan base via U2. "
    This
    DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrHawking
    @shadows_kill: My bad. Yea I was just talking Sony.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well Gt5 was a car game, and the next non car game down the list is a violent shooter. So why not mix them both.  

Twisted Metal

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By devilzrule27

GT6 will be the only thing to surpass GT5 unless the buzz around uncharted becomes so massive with the movie and everything that it gets a second big surge of sales several months after it's release. Or if they decide to bundle a big first party game in when an if they do another price drop. That will inflate the sales figures for another franchise.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tomte

Uncharted 3, or why not FFvs13?
    Also the last guardian...

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By easthill

None. Gran Turismo is a household name, my mom know what Gran Turismo is - not so much for Uncharted. I have at least 10 friends with a PS3 and one game - GT5.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel
    @devilzrule27: I just don't think UC3 could be that big with MW3 and BF3 coming out the same time period.  Why would the everyday PS3 user get a lesser quality online experience with UC3 when they could get the best that BF3 and MW3 can offer.  People now on average don't really care about single player stories.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devil240Z
    @kingzetta said:
    Troll Much? 
    @MrKlorox
    said:
    " It has? Man, Japanese will buy any piece of shit as long as it's local. "  
    Troll Much? 
    @President_Barackbar
    said:
    " GT only sells a lot of copies because its a big name that does well in NA and Japan, regardless of the quality of the product, much like the Final Fantasy series. Also like the FF series, it has enough apologist fanboys to sustain its existence for a long, long time. That's the key to a long running franchise, you have to be able to hook in enough people who will buy and defend the game even if its horrible. "
    I will let you know when GT5 stops being amazing. 
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Punk1984

I think you're being too short sighted with Uncharted 3 to be the top selling game you need legs. Uncharted 3 may have those legs. Also you should look at titles with a large international fan-base since in the US game re-sale takes a large chunk out of the "most sales EVAR!" number. So maybe a MGS title? Ah F-it I'm just going to say Twisted Metal!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kingzetta
    @Devil240Z said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Troll Much? 
    @MrKlorox
    said:
    Troll Much? 
    @President_Barackbar
    said:
    " GT only sells a lot of copies because its a big name that does well in NA and Japan, regardless of the quality of the product, much like the Final Fantasy series. Also like the FF series, it has enough apologist fanboys to sustain its existence for a long, long time. That's the key to a long running franchise, you have to be able to hook in enough people who will buy and defend the game even if its horrible. "
    I will let you know when GT5 stops being amazing.  "
    I'll let you know when I start giving a damn what you think.
    devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By devilzrule27
    @KaosAngel: They most certainly do care about single player experience when they are done well, something UC has proven to do in the past. Look at the best sellers on the PS3 outside of MW/COD. You have MGS which is primarily a single player experience, same goes for both Uncharted games, and one of the best selling games GTA4, FF13, Assassin's Creed 2, God of War 3, Fallout 3, Batman, Red Dead Redemption, and even the GT series. All series that are heavily focused on playing single player. The PS3 userbase tends to gravitate more to single player games. I can't say why, as there are many fantastic multiplayer games on the system like Killzone, MAG, and the first Resistance, but those games don't do as well as the single player driven stuff.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @devilzrule27: You know, you might have a point.  95% of the games I own on PS3 are all single player games (I'm including Demon's Souls in this list too).  I think it might have to do with the fact that PS games have almost always been single player only with the exception of SOCOM and a few others.  It might be due to a large percentage of PS users growing up on the PSone or PS2.   

I guess Xbox focused more on the multiplayer stuff from the start with Halo and LAN parties.  That might be it.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By p_p_o_d

nothing really.  its like asking what would be xbox series can over take Halo.    the answerer to that?  another Halo

I want a Sim racer made by the Wipeout/motorstorm dudes. 

the Wipeout and motorstorm where merged a while back yeah?   so I think they would have the man power to pull off a GT sized game.  plus they wont be as against outsourcing that polyphony is it wont take 5 years to make ether.   

Heck maybe slap the GT name/logo on it somewhere,  let polyphony toss in some ideas enough to say "from the makers of Gran Turismo" on the ads and Boom!! 10 million sold and a game with the best photomode ever.   

would be smart of sony to have something a bit more simy to scratch the GT itch between releases much like Microsoft used PGR in between forza's.  

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

lol @ this thread

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By frankxiv

what sony franchise needs to? last i checked, it's all money for sony.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Undeadpool

Uncharted or inFamous. MAYBE Twisted Metal if it turns out to be AWESOME. Or whatever the next God of War becomes. So... there are a few franchises that might have the gumption to do it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Brendan

Probably nothing, since GT is the only series that has a fanbase outside of the gaming community.  Tons of car magazines put up articles about the game when it came out and refer to the series once in a while, so it has a more mainstream following than any other PS exclusive.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @p_p_o_d said:
    "  nothing really.  its like asking what would be xbox series can over take Halo.    the answerer to that?  another Halo "
    Technically COD is bigger than Halo on the Xbox now.  It's not in house Microsoft but it is the same genre and same target market.  With all the users on the Xbox who play it over the PS3 and PC users, it might as well be exclusive to Xbox.  Plus all the deals MS made to make it the primary console.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that u3 has the best chance just like the majority of the people commenting on this.  then again, im not impressed by the trailer for u3 like i was for u2.  and i also wasnt very impressed by some of the gameplay footage.  but i guess its too early to decide.  im guessing that MW3 is the last CoD game thats going to sell well (to be honest you shouldnt trust this prediction considering the fact that i thought Black Ops sales were gonna flop...)

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By gamb1t
    @MrKlorox said:
    Do you have idiot tattoo'ed on your forehead by any chance?
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By gamb1t

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!! but thats not a sony only game :(

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FCKSNAP

In terms of install base, Toro would do it if they let the cat leave Japan.

Nothing will beat GT5 in sales though, because even people who don't like cars or videogames will buy it.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Uncharted 3 would have to be the best contender for selling more than GT5. UC2 has really strong sales numbers according to vgchartz so if UC3 can score 8.5 or more as an average score then not only will all those people who bought UC2  buy it but  new comers as well. 

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EgoCheck616

Jak & Daxter. 

I know it isn't true but maybe if Sony thinks it is they'll give us a sequel.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrKlorox
    @gamb1t said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    Do you have idiot tattoo'ed on your forehead by any chance? "
    @gamb1t said:
    " DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!! but thats not a sony only game :( "
    Oh, I get it. You were being ironic in your first post. Sure, smart guy. DNF is a real winner.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By TehFlan

I still don't understand why Gran Turismo is so popular.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.