PS4 publishers can dictate their own DRM

• 125 results
#1 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone but just a reminder that just because Sony says that they won't enforce any kind of DRM on used games themselves, that doesn't mean that publishers can't use their own methods.

There's nothing stopping companies like EA or Activision from enacting the same policies that we're going to see on the Xbox One with their games on the PS4. Jack (motherfucking) Tretton said on GameTrailers today:

"Well, I mean, we create the platform, we've certainly stated that our first-party games are not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform. There's gonna be free-to-play, there's gonna be every potential business model on there, and again, that's up to their relationship with the consumer, what do they think is going to put them in the best fit. We're not going to dictate that, we're gonna give them a platform to publish on.

The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement."

#2 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1927 posts) -

We were all too drunk on Tretton to realize the dark truth!

#3 Edited by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

This is the way the world ends.

#4 Edited by SomeJerk (3143 posts) -

Eagerly awaiting to see what Atlus does because f'em for P4A.

#6 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Oh well we are all fucked then, it was a nice 12 hours of happiness.

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

Does that mean I can't play third party games online or would it be just an online pass? Cause I would live with an online pass

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Fucking brilliant.

Didn't MS say their first party games would have no used restrictions? I remember reading/hearing something like that.

#9 Posted by RonGalaxy (2872 posts) -

So how its been for the past 5 years? Alright, Im cool with that.

#10 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

As expected, still for publishers on XboxOne it isn't possible to not have online check-ins. I like an open platform where publishers can decide themselvers (good or bad)

#11 Posted by Ezakael (911 posts) -

At least it give consumers a choice. I can easily avoid the ones that enforce DRM (EA)

#12 Edited by Antihippy (230 posts) -

It's the exact same system as on the current consoles.

Thing is unlike Xbox one it doesn't have an online infrastructure in place that already checks you every 24hours.

#13 Posted by oodli (93 posts) -

Well this makes things easy for me, I'll just wont buy their games!

#14 Posted by Uppercaseccc (90 posts) -

I doubt this will be anything as harsh as the One's 24 hour check in, probably at best it will be an online pass for most games like we have now.

#15 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -

"Well, I mean, we create the platform, we've certainly stated that our first-party games are not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform," Tretton said.

What was that five minute speech even about then?

#16 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

Jack Tretton said specifically that Sony wouldn't impose any new restrictions. Which is exactly what this is--publishers have the ability to dictate their own DRM on current-gen platforms. This practice will carry over to PS4.

#17 Posted by EternalVigil (239 posts) -

Does that mean I can't play third party games online or would it be just an online pass? Cause I would live with an online pass

The way they said it in their conference makes me think that the status quo when it comes to used games policy will be what we get with them so season passes, or day-1 DLC type things, or possibly a slightly more beefed up version of that. Which honestly, I could live with in comparison to the restrictions Microsoft want to impose.

#18 Edited by Scroll (593 posts) -

@uppercaseccc: Well EA games got rid of the online pass altogether for a reason. They will implement the same restrictions as they will on xbox one, except maybe the 24 hour checks.

#19 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Eagerly awaiting to see what Atlus does because f'em for P4A.

There were very specific circumstances that lead to that happening. (Ones I suspect they will try to avoid entirely in the future.) There's no reason to believe they're going to start DRMing all their games just because they can.

#20 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

It's kind of hard to blame Sony for this. Enacting a system wide policy of no DRM would be suicide. The choice would have been easy for a lot of publishers. "Fuck you, we're not making games for the PS4 then." They did the best they could do within what was reasonably possible.

Or...maybe they just want it to appear that way and they already knew that all the major publishers would have their own DRM policies anyway but this allows them to look like the good guys. It's all big, dirty business.

#21 Posted by WaltJay (18 posts) -

This is how you pass the buck. Gee, I wonder what EA will do. Oh well! At least it's only $399.

#22 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

Nothing Sony can do if they implement something to replace the online pass. They could even make you activate online with their own servers. What they can't so is make the PS4 check online every x hours - that has to be built in on a system level.

#23 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

@eternalvigil said:

@noobsauceg7 said:

The way they said it in their conference makes me think that the status quo when it comes to used games policy will be what we get with them so season passes, or day-1 DLC type things, or possibly a slightly more beefed up version of that. Which honestly, I could live with in comparison to the restrictions Microsoft want to impose.

Yes I assume they will remain roughly the same.

#24 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

Online pass I am guessing

#25 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

How is that different from today ?

If the game is not locked to your account on the system level, how much can they even do ?

#26 Posted by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

Sony made essentially the same move as MS, except they have no messy platform-wide stuff to explain or manage. Despite whatever we attribute to the console makers, it's up to the publishers to blink and set precedents.

#27 Posted by allgrinzz (161 posts) -

@alternate: Or, since the console is not checking every 24 hours, the game now has to check online every time it starts up. Trade a 24 hour check in for an "on start" check in.

#28 Posted by Uppercaseccc (90 posts) -

@alternate: but hopefully you will still be able to trade in all your ps4 games to gamestop still and there is no reason why not right now unless publishes own personal DRM is weird enough that it checks a disc for online verification.

#30 Posted by xyzygy (9892 posts) -

So wait this is essentially the exact same thing as MS except no 24 hour check in? I mean, in practice the 24 hour thing isn't really that big of a deal. It's the principle. So far that and the price is how Sony offers a better console.

But you're right. Maybe Microsoft will be right. They are offering a very similar service as Steam and look how good that is.

#31 Posted by Sergio (2050 posts) -
#32 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

@eternalvigil said:

@noobsauceg7 said:

Alright that's fine. *Exhales

#33 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

So wait this is essentially the exact same thing as MS except no 24 hour check in? I mean, in practice the 24 hour thing isn't really that big of a deal. It's the principle. So far that and the price is how Sony offers a better console.

But you're right. Maybe Microsoft will be right. They are offering a very similar service as Steam and look how good that is.

LOL

#34 Edited by Petiew (1330 posts) -

@zeik said:

There were very specific circumstances that lead to that happening. (Ones I suspect they will try to avoid entirely in the future.) There's no reason to believe they're going to start DRMing all their games just because they can.

To be fair, the specific circumstances were Atlus wanting the highest amount of money they could make from the game. The region lock was simply to stop Japanese players from importing the vastly cheaper US version. They can just not put in Japanese voices and text in other versions next time and they won't need to region lock it, but I could easily see them doing it again.

#35 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Everyone over reacting over nothing.

Exact same situation as it is now - and at most it means if jive turkeys want to implement an online pass, they can

jesus christ you guys can never be happy with something

#36 Posted by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

This is how it works on PC for decades ranging from the old fashion code wheel to more draconian systems. But the key thing to realize is that if the platform doesn't enforce a system that means a developer can chose one that suits them include "none". This isn't "Field of Dreams" but it is a lot better than forcing everything to conform to a system that doesn't make sense for a lot of games.

#37 Posted by Sergio (2050 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

You can still download games on PS4 too.

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

So... how it's been for years now?

#39 Posted by timlump (152 posts) -

I see nothing wrong with playstation's stance. They are not enforcing any system side drm. This means publishers will have to implement their own systems - something they can already do now and have done in the form of online passes etc. What they clearly will not be able to do is any sort of online authentication for single player content (as they will alienate part of the market) or any hardware locks.

#40 Edited by pweidman (2298 posts) -

That makes sense, and makes last night's claim about used games pretty hollow. Sony's playing along with the pubs after all. Kinda sleazy to get everyone so heated and then admit it's all up to the pubs the next day. Tretton I was kinda likin' you man, but now. :(

#41 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

This is already how it is on current gen consoles, can't be upset about that.

#42 Edited by leftie68 (215 posts) -

The major difference is Xbox One's infrastructure (online connectivity every 24 hours AND requirement to install every game), is tailored to institute some form of authentication for each game. It forces the consumer to buy and play games the way Microsoft says they should buy and play games.

Sony's open platform for the PS4 says hey, consumers, you decide how you want to game. If you want to buy a disc-based game and trade it in after you are done, go for it. If you want to download the game to your account, go for it. If you want to avoid DRM games (instituted by the publisher), then don't buy those games, we have plenty of other non-DRM games in our library. It is up to you.

#43 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

I don't buy any EA games anyway.

#44 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

This is already how it is on current gen consoles, can't be upset about that.

exactly, im just glad it doesnt have the full dependency on the internet that microsoft is saying you need to even play your games.

#45 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

The difference here is that its not built into the thing on a system level. I only really see the big companies like EA and Ubisoft requiring this stuff.

#46 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

Makes sense, they wouldn't have been able to dictate that sort of shit to publishers.

#47 Edited by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

@hockeymask27 said:

@eternalvigil said:

@noobsauceg7 said:

Alright that's fine. *Exhales

I find it funny that you take comfort in pure speculation that random people on game forum came up with.

Not saying they are wrong or right just weird that you trust these guys that much.

#48 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -

People saw this and still thought Sony would allow DRM? It's like the paywall opinions changing but this is literally overnight.

#49 Posted by xyzygy (9892 posts) -

@sergio said:

@xyzygy said:

You can still download games on PS4 too.

My point was that Steam has a lot of restrictions and is doing fine.

#50 Edited by RedCream (704 posts) -

I understand that this news only means that publishers can still enact online passes as is custom today on current-gen systems but somehow, for reasons I can't pinpoint, it still is some sort of a buzzkill on what Sony said in their presscon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.