PSP Price Gets Cut To $129.99

• 62 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It’s probably not the best time to purchase a PSP, since work on Sony's next handheld is well underway, but if you're on the hunt, you'll probably be happy to know that the price is about to drop on the PSP-3000. According to a recent PS blog post, starting this February 27, the cost for will shoot down to a more agreeable $129.99 price point. Also, those “entertainment packs” will receive a cut, too. You’ll be looking at $159.99 on those.

But, wait, that’s not all--Sony is also opening up its PSP Greatest Hits library to more games. Soon, the following will be available with special packaging at $19.99:

And the following will receive a “Favorites” listing, which takes the price down to $9.99:

As you’ve probably noticed via omission thus far, the PSPgo will continue to be sold at $199.99, but I’ll note that some online retailers, including GameStop, are out of stock at the moment. Think Sony's going to keep restocking those, or is the PSPgo slowly getting discontinued? 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It’s probably not the best time to purchase a PSP, since work on Sony's next handheld is well underway, but if you're on the hunt, you'll probably be happy to know that the price is about to drop on the PSP-3000. According to a recent PS blog post, starting this February 27, the cost for will shoot down to a more agreeable $129.99 price point. Also, those “entertainment packs” will receive a cut, too. You’ll be looking at $159.99 on those.

But, wait, that’s not all--Sony is also opening up its PSP Greatest Hits library to more games. Soon, the following will be available with special packaging at $19.99:

And the following will receive a “Favorites” listing, which takes the price down to $9.99:

As you’ve probably noticed via omission thus far, the PSPgo will continue to be sold at $199.99, but I’ll note that some online retailers, including GameStop, are out of stock at the moment. Think Sony's going to keep restocking those, or is the PSPgo slowly getting discontinued? 
#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I'll think about it.

#3 Posted by Goku13K (42 posts) -

Sweet, about time it got a price cut
#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

Might have to pick up Peace Walker now. 

#5 Posted by nunami (99 posts) -

time to buy! 

#6 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

meh, kinda interested in some psp games but I really should have bought one before they announced the NGP if I was gonna get it

#7 Posted by Gnorbooth (278 posts) -

Great news.  Haven't had a handheld since the Gameboy Color.   I've been biding my time to pick one up so that I could shred through Persona 3 Portable.  That's all I would need.

#8 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

why not just make it 100 dollars... or 99.99

#9 Posted by joebootoo (4 posts) -

Might have to pick up MHFU for 10 bones.

#10 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

this will have no effect

#11 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

A price cut after they announced the NGP? Please, its not as much as a generous offering to the public as it is a blatant "hey we need to get rid of this crap before the new one comes in!"

#12 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

Peace Walker and Killzone Liberation for spare change? Nice!

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

any one know if this applies to psp go?
#14 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

When pspgo is 99-125 i will glady pick it up

#15 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I want but the NGP is coming out but I probably won't be able to afford that.  I am so confused right now.
#16 Posted by nickystixx (180 posts) -

finally.

#17 Posted by Chris2KLee (2329 posts) -

Definitely getting ready for an NGP launch, be interesting to see if Japan gets a similar cut since the system is still doing relatively well here, and just got a boost from MHP3rd.

#18 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I'd bet that PSPgos are just being silently discontinued at this point.

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Really? That thing is still more than $100 USD?

#20 Posted by bshirk (330 posts) -

I really shouldn't have bought one used for $100 last month. Fuck.

#21 Posted by RetroVirus (1458 posts) -

I wonder if one day all the PSP's  will eventually end up in a landfill...

#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

Man, I really wanted a PSP go, I wish they'd drop the price on that. No, I'm totally not being sarcastic. There are like 10 PSP games I want to play, and I love the design and digital distribution the Go has to offer.

#23 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

Weren't the 2000 bundles like $129.99? Sony is terrible with this pricing stuff.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Interesting. If every penny I got wasn't being put towards getting a new PC I would love to pick up a PSP. Since sadly it seems to be about the only platform that people make turn based strategy RPGs of any kind of quality for any more.

#25 Posted by LiquidPrince (15844 posts) -

Pretty great price for the system.

#26 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

I actualy would recommend people just save up for the NGP. but that is a pretty good price for the PSP. I might get Peace Walker now.
#27 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

And yet, as good as this new price may be, I still don't feel the intense urge to buy it. Ah well...

#28 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

Oh christ what. I was just about to buy one the other day. This is a godsend.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

140 for a PSP + Monster Hunter or 290 for a Nintendo 3ds and Pokemon Black?

Fuck, Nintendo, you lose this time.

#30 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist said:
" this will have no effect "
#31 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: If there's still a demand on the DS, why would they lower it.
#32 Posted by Ford_Prefect (19 posts) -

The one system I halfway regret buying. Other than Lumines and Puzzle Quest, totally forgettable.

#33 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Kjellm87: 
Not saying they should, but 140 for a handheld that can do more then play games is pretty awesome. 
Mainly because I'm a Monster Hunter addict tho.
But my urge to pokemon is stronger then my urge to murder pokemon like creatures...for now!
#34 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: 
This remind me that I should give Monster Hunter a go,
I keep hearing good things.
#35 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Kjellm87: 
Didn't play Tri yet on the Wii?
It was the game that got me interested in the series, it kinda reminded me of Phantasy Star Online which I (still do at times) played so much on the Gamecube.
Its good fun, especially online with a few good duders.
#36 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -

I need to get another PSP before the NGP is released, but I'm hoping the price will drop even further the closer we get to launch.

#37 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

Considering that its the software thats the problem and not the console itself, thats a pretty good deal. If you dont have an Ipod touch or something like that I would say snap one up. The media abilitys more than make up for the limited software, and its not like there arent a handful of gems well worth playing. 

#38 Posted by paulunga (1930 posts) -
@Atramentous said:
" Considering that its the software thats the problem and not the console itself, thats a pretty good deal. If you dont have an Ipod touch or something like that I would say snap one up. The media abilitys more than make up for the limited software, and its not like there arent a handful of gems well worth playing.  "
Hell, the game's listed in this story are almost enough to own one. And frankly, most people I know don't have more than 20-25 games for one system, you WILL find that many good games for it.
#39 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

I am getting dangerously close to buying a second PSP just for the TV-Out functionality of the PSP 3000.

#40 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

This is extremely tempting... But that money needs to be spent toward the NGP...

#41 Posted by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

Thought it said PS3 and then I was all excited... im a crazy dreamer.

#42 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

My birthday present to myself just became a PSP and Crisis Core. And probably the new Parasite Eve. Why not?

#43 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" Interesting. If every penny I got wasn't being put towards getting a new PC I would love to pick up a PSP. Since sadly it seems to be about the only platform that people make turn based strategy RPGs of any kind of quality for any more. "
thats so true, the new tactics ogre is supposedly great, though there are some real gems like Jeanne D'arc, most of the Disagea titles and of course FF Tactics. the lord of the rings game is worth a mention but not nearly as deep as the others.
#44 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@buft said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" Interesting. If every penny I got wasn't being put towards getting a new PC I would love to pick up a PSP. Since sadly it seems to be about the only platform that people make turn based strategy RPGs of any kind of quality for any more. "
thats so true, the new tactics ogre is supposedly great, though there are some real gems like Jeanne D'arc, most of the Disagea titles and of course FF Tactics. the lord of the rings game is worth a mention but not nearly as deep as the others. "
The new version of Final Fantasy Tactics is a work of art and Jeanne D'arc was surprisingly deep
#45 Edited by buft (3301 posts) -
@Punk1984: yeah when i bought Jeanne D'arc (because i couldnt find tactics anywhere at the time ) i was blown away by it, i actually think i might prefer it over tactics.
#46 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" 140 for a PSP + Monster Hunter or 290 for a Nintendo 3ds and Pokemon Black?  Fuck, Nintendo, you lose this time. "
Pokemon Black is for DS, not 3DS, so unless you don't own any kind of DS, you can just spend $35 on it, and even if you don't have a DS, you could just buy a DSi/Lite for what I assume is about the same amount of money as buying a PSP and play Pokemon Black on that.
#47 Posted by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

I should definitely sell my my PSPgo. It's just sitting in a drawer at work, collecting dust : /

#48 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

I'm awfully tempted, but with the NGP on the way and the known screen line issue on the 3000 series, I'm still reluctant...

#49 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

And I still don't want one. Go figure!

#50 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

they should pull out their UMDs already . Cheap shot Sony...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.