Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Poker Night at the Inventory

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 22, 2010

A poker game from Telltale featuring many key characters from their studio along with other guest stars.

I hope you like humour?

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mesklinite

I guess the character lineup is what drove me to just impulse buy the game... 
    I mean, I really want to like this game. 

But man, if you want to play poker this is horrible! It takes such a long time for character to play. Yes, I'd love humour. But I only want humour when a character is out or going all in. Besides that , the conversations can take place in the background, but keep the game fluid! Waiting for animations to play is not cool. Hearing a sound cue for 15 seconds when you're waiting to see a card? Common!! 

Sure, you can right click to skip each animation. This is still not fast enough. They should of put an option to not have any animation. But then what gives? Why play this game. Yeah, I just realised. 

My 2 cents. I tried 3 times tonight to like this game. :(
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By audiosnag

You can turn the chattiness all the way down and they don't say anything.
    You probably should just play another poker game, there's likely a crap ton of them online for free. The humor and characters is the whole reason this game exists. I love it.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mesklinite
    @audiosnag said:
    "You can turn the chattiness all the way down and they don't say anything. You probably should just play another poker game, there's likely a crap ton of them online for free. The humor and characters is the whole reason this game exists. I love it. "

I didn't even see that setting! That's a good option to have. But you are right though. If not for the humour, other games are probably better.
    harrypmgaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By harrypmgaga

Exactly as audiosnag put it, this game is all about the characters and the awesome chats they have. If you bought this game to play poker and only hear the occasional funny dialog when they go all in or lose all their cash, then you probably want to play something like PKR.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BionicMonster
    @audiosnag: I set the chatter to "Mums the word" while i listened to the screenedcast and they still chatter sometimes but probably like 3 stories per game.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Undeadpool

Humor with a U?! You BET I love it! 
    Seriously, as long as it's actually funny, I'm completely ok with that. But I'm not really a big poker fan.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

This was an impulse buy and I was shocked to discover it's a single player only poker game...what's the point? I played one game and I'll probably never touch it again, a waste of $5.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta

For hardcore poker players its maybe not the best buy in the world, for people who play it once in a blue moon (like myself) its perfect.

@MB said:

" This was an impulse buy and I was shocked to discover it's a single player only poker game...what's the point? I played one game and I'll probably never touch it again, a waste of $5. "
    It would be pretty pointless to add this to a game where the main attraction is the commentary from the characters, which you would be hassled to skip everytime in multiplayer.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By mike
    @Jasta: It wouldn't be pointless at all - all of the commentary and witty banter could be there for single player, then simply have it and the unnecessarily long animations turned off for multiplayer.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By DystopiaX
    @MB said:
    " @Jasta: It wouldn't be pointless at all - all of the commentary and witty banter could be there for single player, then simply have it and the unnecessarily long animations turned off for multiplayer. "
    Or like the OP suggested, have it go on in the background while people are playing.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

I DO like Humor! Sounds like this is the game for me! Haven't actually bought it yet, but I will next time I am running windows and have steam up. Doing lots of work now though, and that's all in linux. 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB said:
    " This was an impulse buy and I was shocked to discover it's a single player only poker game...what's the point? I played one game and I'll probably never touch it again, a waste of $5. "
    When my friend told me there was no multiplayer, it just confirmed to me that this is yet another TF2 item farm and ploy to get people to spend money.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jasta
    @MB said: @DystopiaX:

" @Jasta: It wouldn't be pointless at all - all of the commentary and witty banter could be there for single player, then simply have it and the unnecessarily long animations turned off for multiplayer. "

How much longer would it have taken them to add the online play? I reckon they wanted to concentrate on making it a unique single player experience, rather than make just another online poker game to compete with the fuck tons of other online poker games in existence. 

I have no idea of the cost / how many man-hours it would take to add multiplayer, but I'm guessing it wasint worth the trouble.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fjordson

Meh, 5 bucks. Totally worth it in my opinion. Lots of funny dialogue. And it's perfect to play while listening to podcasts after turning the chattiness down.

Plus, Video Games Rodkin and Famous Vanaman worked on it, so I sort of had to buy it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @MB said:
    When my friend told me there was no multiplayer, it just confirmed to me that this is yet another TF2 item farm and ploy to get people to spend money. "
    The entire point of the game is to have it based around those specific characters you play against. Think of it as a dialogue-based game where you play poker, rather than a poker game with lots of dialogue. 

Anyway, I kind of agree, it does seem like a lot of people will buy this just to get TF2 stuff...
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

I wish those guys would let me have it my way.  Damn you, Heavy, you know how to play cards.  You and your damn boyish charm, Heavy.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @MB said:
    When my friend told me there was no multiplayer, it just confirmed to me that this is yet another TF2 item farm and ploy to get people to spend money. "

The game is made by Telltale, who've always put out quality games. 
    Personally, I'd have prefered no connection to TF2 but including bonus items like that was a sure fire way to get people to buy it. 

But I definitely wouldn't say that the game was created just for that.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By abdo

Yes, like what other people have already said this game is more about the characters and their interaction with each other than it is about poker.  

the conversations can take place in the background, but keep the game fluid!

This is one of the great features of the game. I like how they can keep a conversation going, while still looking at their cards and only pausing to check/raise etc. Don't you like any of the characters? Have you played any Sam & Max games? Are you a fan of strong Bad and his styles upon styles? Do you read Penny Arcade? Personally, I love all the characters, except Tycho, but I still read PA from time to time. Just not as big a fan of it compared to the other three franchises.

I knew people would be buying this just for the TF2 items, but I should have known someone out there was gonna buy it for the poker.
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yo, you cats like jokes? 

This game got jokes. 

Yo, you cats kinda into poker, but more into jokes? 

This game got a little poker, but man, it got jokes.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Humouuuuuuuur.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By KaosAngel

My biggest gripe is that it's too easy to bluff the CPU. 

Just keep raising and raising and then go all in, the CPU folds but you keep all the cash they put into the raises. 

Also, the 1v1 is boring as all hell.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By nintendoeats

Making this game more about poker would have been a very foolish thing to do.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats said:
    "Making this game more about poker would have been a very foolish thing to do. "

Precisely. 

I'm fucking awful at poker. I'm also not interested in getting awesome at poker. 

I am interested in feeling like I'm awesome at poker while ones and zeroes in the shape of cartoony characters trade barbs across a simulated green table, though. 

As far as "feel like you're awesome at poker while ones and zeroes in the shape of cartoony characters trade barbs across a simulated green table" simulators go, Poker Night at the Inventory is the best in class of the genre. 

Okay, it might be only in class, but now you're just nitpicking.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

Looks less like a poker game and more of a point and click Flash type thing.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mesklinite

Oooo yes I see, humour is probably the canadian way of writting it lol. :p har har
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Animasta
    @mesklinite said:
    " Oooo yes I see, humour is probably the canadian way of writting it lol. :p har har "
    it's the british way doggers

also, it was developed by like 4 people; adding online would have taken too long.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FlyingRat

I don't understand why you would buy this game if you're just looking for a simple straightforward poker game...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Laketown said:
    " @mesklinite said:
    " Oooo yes I see, humour is probably the canadian way of writting it lol. :p har har "
    it's the british way doggers  also, it was developed by like 4 people; adding online would have taken too long. "
    Well it's both. Kinda really frustrating that British spelling is in effect here in Canada. My teachers would mark my correct American spelling as incorrect. Very silly, since that's the spelling used in a hell of a lot of TV, movies, books and games.  

Anyway I'm very glad to hear that this game has a bigger focus on characters than the poker itself. Poker is a boring card game, and a pretty poor fad. Also completely luck based, which isn't great. But combine that with good dialogue, and characters, and it could be good fun. 
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mrskidders

I have been playing it this morning, the writing and scripting is very good, its Poker and its incredibly cheap.  Well worth a purchase.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stinky

how long before the jokes start repeating? 

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meltac
    @stinky said:
    "  how long before the jokes start repeating?  "
    I was wondering the same thing. 
    Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Julmust

I really like it. Poker is fun, and the characters and dialouge is awesome. I really fell in love with Strongbad which I had never paid much attention to.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meltac said:
    " @stinky said:
    "  how long before the jokes start repeating?  "
    I was wondering the same thing.  "

I dropped 3 hours into it last night. I started seeing some repeats, but it didn't seem to be too obtrusive. Mind, I really like these characters, and the lines are delivered well enough that it's not a labour to listen to them more than once for me. 

Also, there's only 17 achievements and they hit quick. If you're looking for a relatively quick S-Rank, this is probably an excellent game to do so.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#35  Edited By LordAndrew

I've heard some repeats, but there's still a fair bit of material in there that I haven't heard yet so it's cool.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Humanoid

I love the Penny Arcade characters as well as the Heavy, but I'll go to the respective franchise if I want to hear clever banter. I wanted a fun and cool poker game I could play with my friends. 

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mithhunter55
    @Jolt92 Same with me never looked at the homestar stuff before. There is a great joke where he mentions pokemon.

I like the other characters way more now. I had basically dropped penny arcade awhile ago. Got a douchbag vibe from it in a bad way. Now it's in a good droping references way.

I have no interest in high level poker play. Need my time for starcraft.
    mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mithhunter55

Cannot edit posts on iPod, just want to chime in and say that it annoys me greatly to see colour with out a 'u'. Recently been getting used to it just becuase of autocomplete when writing CSS code.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By crusader8463
    @MB said:
    Ya. A friend was going to buy it so we could play together, but sadly it's single player only. I hope they don't try adding crap like that via DLC and micro transactions.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463
    @mithhunter55 said:
    " Cannot edit posts on iPod, just want to chime in and say that it annoys me greatly to see colour with out a 'u'. Recently been getting used to it just becuase of autocomplete when writing CSS code. "
    Ya that always pissed me off when I had to do HTML coding in college. When I was done I always had to go through my code and change all the correct ways of spelling colour to the wrong way of color.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.