By DrRandle 2 Comments
I Don't Care if You Have to Sell Yourself on the Street
IGN editor and all-around video game GQ Matt Cassamassina recently broke out a huge write-up on the new Silent Hill: Shattered Memories by Climax Studios. The article and interview are here, but I'll go ahead and give you a quick break down.
- Silent Hill is Watching You: this game has a unique "psychological profiling" mechanic. To hell with cheap morality complex devices measured only in "Do you act like Jesus, or do you act like Hitler," this game is watching your every move. When you enter a room do you look for a map? If so, the game recognizes your practicality. If you instead look for a girlie picture on the wall, well not so much.
- Gorgeous Game is Gorgeous: I don't care if it's "just a Wii game," this game looks amazing. It goes to show what a developer with actual ambition and skill, not to mention a hefty supply of great artists, can do for a system, even if it's a little underpowered.
- The Flashlight: Lighting. Is. Amazing. Period.
- Run Like Hell: No you can't fight. "As a kid, do you wake up screaming because you had a nightmare where you hit a zombie with a bat? No. You were scared because all you could do was run, and it still caught you." I've fought zombies and monsters a billion times already, I'm excited to see how this game makes me run for my life. Oh and the monsters can chase you down all of Silent Hill.
- No Load Times: No load times.
- Harry Has an iPhone: Sort of. It's used to do a lot more than just take calls. You can take pictures that flash hidden scenes, and use it to solve puzzles.
- Not a Remake: This isn't your daddy's remake for the Wii, this is a straight up reinvisioning. This is a new game. This is, as the developers put it, the new Battlestar Galactica compared to the 1978 original.
There. How are you not reading that article right now? How are you not excited? This isn't some on-rails shooter, this is a fucking hardcore-as-they-come game. If you are not even remotely interested, if you are not already planning to at least rent this, if you aren't even reading this because you already don't care because you can't fight... You are a fucking idiot, plain and damned simple. You have to at least, at least, be able to appreciate what this game is trying to do. You owe it to yourself and gaming as a medium to pay some attention to this title.
-Climax, Make it a good one.
Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr