Initially revealed at Microsoft's 2013 Xbox One unveiling event, Quantum Break is a time travel mystery developed by Remedy Entertainment Ltd. exclusively for the Xbox One. The game is due for release in 2016. Quantum Break combines a live action television show with a high octane action 3rd person shooter. The television show portion of the game is shipping along side the game both intended to be experienced as a unified creative work. The game will follow the story of the game's heroes Jack Joyce and Beth Wilder while the television show follows the story of the game's villainous corporation Monarch Solutions led by antagonist Paul Serene.
Viewing the television show portion of the Quantum Break is entirely optional, though watching the show gives you strategies and insights that will impact the way you play the game and helps you discover unique content within the game. How you play the game shapes a personalized version of the television show.
Both Jack Joyce and Beth Wilder will be playable character in the game each with their own time manipulation powers. Remedy's creative director Sami Järvi (Sam Lake) stated that this will be a third person action shooter, in line with Remedy's past AAA game like Max Payne and Alan Wake. Though the game will be heavily influenced by Max Payne's gun play and not Alan Wake's. Unlike their past game, Quantum Break will feature a dynamic cover system and various time manipulation powers.
Jack Joyce will be able to stop time for a short burst and sprint away from danger or choose to get up close and melee attack enemies. He will be able to stop time in a small area and shoot bullets into the frozen area, when time resumes it delivers one giant blow to a enemy. During certain sections of the game he will have to navigate platforms that are stuck in a stutter in time and use his powers to freeze the said objects and navigate quickly though them.
Set in the fictional east coast university town Riverport, a failed time travel experiment goes horribly wrong. As a result time itself begins to break down causing a multitude of anomalies to occur all over Riverport. Quantum Break's main characters are caught in this the blast of the failed time travel experiment. Jack Joyce, Beth Wilder and Jack's best friend Paul Serene all gain unique time manipulation powers. Paul Serene ends up disappearing into the time machine, but soon after he returns 17 years older and head of villainous corporation Monarch Solutions. Jack fighting to stop the breakdown of time becomes a obstacle in Paul's treacherous plans resulting in "best friends turned mortal enemies".
Quantum Break as a whole is said to be thought as "season one" of Quantum Break. Like any other television show, if this is successful more season will follow. The show is following the actions of the Monarch Corporation and master mind Paul Serene. Paul Serene will play a role in how the television shows play out with his special time manipulation ability, a junction in time, here a player will control Paul Serene and choose which future will come true. Quantum Break's television show episodes will run for about 30 minutes each.
Quantum Break was initially unveiled at Microsoft’s May 21, 2013 Xbox One reveal event. The initial reveal trailer showed off a bit of the live action show with a few cuts of the game. An in-engine trailer was later shown off at E3 2013, with an extended demo shown behind closed doors. A 2015 release window was given to the game on May 29, 2014 with the first ever gameplay to be shown at Gamescom 2014. At Gamescom 2014, Remedy gave an 8 minute long demo of the game, an extended version of the demo was later released. The game was officially delayed to 2016 on April 2, 2015, the reason given was to deliver a more polished product.
- Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne has stated Quantum Break as "the biggest entertainment undertaking" in Finnish history.
- Hollywood actors Dominic Monaghan (IMDB) and Shawn Ashmore (IMDB) are part of the game's cast, revealed on November 21, 2014 via Remedy's twitter.
- Remedy has created a brand new engine to power Quantum Break called the "Northlight Engine".
- Quantum Break uses Digital Molecular Matter, technology found in games such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. This allows Remedy to create action set pieces where everything is crumbling and breaking apart.
- Remedy beefed up the 55 person team that worked on Alan Wake to 100+ employees that will work on Quantum Break.
- The first thing Remedy does after hiring actors is send them to the dentist to get dental molds, then digitize and implant them into their digital count parts.
- Remedy enlisted a ex-CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) scientist and university teacher to teach them about quantum and classical physics, helping them mold this time travel mystery plot.
- Unlike Alan Wake, Microsoft has full ownership of the Quantum Break Intellectual Property.
- Remedy has vastly improved their facial capture technology partnering with Dimensional Imaging.