Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Anyone aware of Jeff's continuing dismissal of Red Dead in 2010?

• 175 results
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By ZipCrash

I'm glad somebody had to sense to hate RDR. Thank you Jeff. I was really worried it would get GOTY. I've put 9 hours into it so I gave it plenty of a chance and I still think it sucks. Yea the character is interesting and the world is great but actually playing the game and doing the missions utterly sucks! Oh and I LOVE westerns. I also didn't think GTA4 was all that great but certainly better than Red Dead. At least I finished that game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#152  Edited By Icemael

I agree with Jeff about Red Dead Redemption, but what I don't understand is how he could love Grand Theft Auto IV. That game had even worse controls!

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By ZipCrash
    @Icemael said:
    " I agree with Jeff about Red Dead Redemption, but what I don't understand is how he could love Grand Theft Auto IV. That game had even worse controls! "
    I don't know dude, not once in GTA did I drive down the rode, have dudes shooting at me. Try to stop, get out of the car and by the time I accomplished all of that I was killed and then reset on the other side of the whole entire map. Just trying to stop when you wanted on that horse was terrible. The mission structure in GTA was better than Red Dead. Still Rockstar needs to understand that making a game long for the sake of it being long is not a good thing. I'd much rather play RDR if it was all of the good parts in 8 or 9 hours instead of spread out over the 25 hours or whatever it is. Way too many pointless missions in both games and way too much driving across the whole entire world for no reason other than to just do it. 

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is still the best western game ever, which isn't saying a lot.
    _Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By _Nuno_

Jeff's entire atitude pissed me off in more ways than one. He was just plain selfish.

I say this because he single-handedly managed to stop RDR from even being a real contender for the GOTY prize. By not playing more than 4-5 hours he didn't really get the story or the caracters, and when ever there was a discussion about the game he either stood quiet, said something bad about it or just joked around. Even when the Best Story/Best Ending prizes were up for discussion, he basicly said he hadn't seen the ending and was just letting himself be guided by the opinions of the other guys. It felt to me like he was giving RDR a consolation prize, because he already knew that his dislike was going to instantly bump it off the GOTY table.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that he might not have liked it, but he should play it to completion in order to have a better perspective. And it can't be that taxing. He was saying that the game put him off it so hard he could even bring himself to insert the disk. He's a videogame-reviewer! Deal with it!

The discussions for GOTY are normallly tight and when 1 out of 4 immediatly dismiss a game, that alone throws its chances of winning out the window.

That said, I love the guy. He's most of the reason why I come here everyday. But that was just a piss-poor atitude.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Jeff was pretty explicit this in the GOTY podcasts, I feel the same way he does. It's certainly a well made game, but it isn't for everyone.

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By ZipCrash
    @_Nuno_: If he doesn't want to play a game, no reason he should force himself to when the other 3 members of the staff played it. Brad was the only one who gave it GOTY in his personal list. Therefore, no way would it have won GOTY even if Jeff finished it. Besides I think 5 hours is more than enough time for a game to get good. If it's not good 5 hours in than the developers have failed which Rockstar is full of lately. GTA4 wasn't terrible but not as good as the rest and Midnight Club: LA was awful, as was Red Dead. I'm really scared to see how they murder Max Payne 3. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#157  Edited By l4wd0g

This is a Game of the Year podcast. If you really don't like a game, you should say so.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#158  Edited By mikemcn

Your all terrible people.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By OllyOxenFree

This has really gone on for 9 pages?  It's just his opinion, people.

Goddammit.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By _Nuno_
    @ZipCrash said:

" @_Nuno_: If he doesn't want to play a game, no reason he should force himself to when the other 3 members of the staff played it. Brad was the only one who gave it GOTY in his personal list. Therefore, no way would it have won GOTY even if Jeff finished it. Besides I think 5 hours is more than enough time for a game to get good. If it's not good 5 hours in than the developers have failed which Rockstar is full of lately. GTA4 wasn't terrible but not as good as the rest and Midnight Club: LA was awful, as was Red Dead. I'm really scared to see how they murder Max Payne 3.  "

Normally I would fully agree with you, and I know that RDR wouldn't stand a real fighting chance in a discussion since only Brad would probably fight for it, but if you're going into a discussion you should go in armed with all the facts. Imagine for a moment that Ryan or Vinny had slightly different opinions and favoured RDR over ME2. If push came to shove, Jeff wouldn't be able to defend his position with rational arguments bacause he basicly hadn't seen the full breath of features RDR had to offer. Yet his hate for the game would probably make it hard for RDR to win, even if his opinion was the less informed. And again, 5 hours are usually more than enough to see what a game is like, but when you talk about 60 to 100 hour games, it really isn't. Imagine they had played 4 hours of Persona 4 and just didn't like it. They would have missed out on an amasing game.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By ZipCrash
    @_Nuno_: Well the thing is not the entire team needs to have played it. A majority of them have and if Ryan and Vinny wanted RDR game of the year then it would be. Jeff would have fought it, sure, but push comes to shove, 3 win over 1. Just as seen in other categories. I think it's unfair for somebody who plays a ton of games for a living and ends up playing tons of crappy games to have to fight his way through a game he really doesn't like. They obviously thought it wasn't nessacary, with all of the games they made sure to play before this game, RDR wasn't one of them. I say trust their methods, we all love this site because of the decisions they make so trust that.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#162  Edited By jakob187
    @ZipCrash said:
    " @_Nuno_: ...no way would it have won GOTY even if Jeff finished it."
    Just the same way that Minerva's Den had no chance of winning in its category, right? 

Look, long and short of it: 

If you believe that what small amount of time Jeff played RDR was honestly enough to gauge the entire game, then good for you. 

If you believe that what small amount of time Jeff played RDR was nowhere near enough time to honestly gauge the entire game, then good for you. 

As much as we hate it, the decisions on theirs to make and not ours.  Luckily, if RDR is so beloved by this community, then it'll be the one that gets Community Game of the Year.  If not, then shuddup.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#163  Edited By Belonpopo
    @zombie2011:  Fable III has been getting below average reviews, RDR have been receiving outstanding reviews from release and it's DLC. Of course no one cares about Brad not liking Fable III.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#164  Edited By FritzDude
    @Belonpopo:
    Below average? i believe the game is on a 80% with most reviewers given it 6 and 8's. I can't say that's "below" average, though i understand your point. But i digress... Oh, and nice avatar picture by the way.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Milkman

How is this conversation still going?

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ComradeKhan

Yeah thats crazy. My brother is the same way, he played somewhere around 25% of the story and then ended up selling it...!!!?!?!?!.... I freaked out at him because I absolutely loved the game (played it through in a minimal number of sittings over a week and got 98% completion), he just said "its kinda cool but its no GTAIV". And he has bought GTAIV like 3 times by now with digital download and the new edition with the DLC packed in - but he still never plans on completing RDR... I don't understand it, but these people DO exist.

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ZipCrash
    @_Nuno_ said:
    " @jakob187 said:

" @ZipCrash said:

" @_Nuno_: ...no way would it have won GOTY even if Jeff finished it."
    Just the same way that Minerva's Den had no chance of winning in its category, right?  Look, long and short of it:  If you believe that what small amount of time Jeff played RDR was honestly enough to gauge the entire game, then good for you.  If you believe that what small amount of time Jeff played RDR was nowhere near enough time to honestly gauge the entire game, then good for you.  As much as we hate it, the decisions on theirs to make and not ours.  Luckily, if RDR is so beloved by this community, then it'll be the one that gets Community Game of the Year.  If not, then shuddup. "
    This, my friends, is a very common specimen. "The Internet Asshole" as he is commonly known, or "Internitia Assholis", often tells others how to feel about things and what to think. He also ends several of his posts with a trademark "shuddup" and likes to dismiss people's opinions and totally valid discussions with the awesomely patronizing "if you think this, good for you".  Also, since human contact is nearly impossible for him, he wastes his time posting on everything which is why he has like 50000 posts. "
    lol nice.  

I just feel like we are having a civil discussion here and sharing our opinions. He does have a point out Minerva's Den. lol
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#168  Edited By Hizang

It's his own personal opinion right, if he lied and said "Yeah I love that game its super duper awsome!" would that make you feel better.
    _Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By _Nuno_

@ZipCrash said:
    " He does have a point out Minerva's Den. lol "

True, but that only reinforces my original point.
    owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#170  Edited By owenneil

Oh well, RDR is my game of the year. ME2 (which was brought up a lot in here) was boring to me.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By ZipCrash
    @_Nuno_ said:

"
    @ZipCrash said:

" He does have a point out Minerva's Den. lol "
    True, but that only reinforces my original point. "
    I don't see how it does. Minerva's Den won despite Jeff's objections. All though I do feel like they gave a couple to Brad because they knew he wasn't going to win any other arguments. I think they were trying to be fair and let the awards represent SOMETHING from Brad's picks.  

Regardless, we both have stated our opinions. I don't think there is much to be said on the topic anymore. As somebody who tried to force them self to finish RDR to see what all the fuse was about and couldn't, I see where Jeff is coming from.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#172  Edited By Arker101

He dosen't need to justify his opinion( even if he likes GTA 4, but not Redemption ) because it is his opinion. 
    From what I heard in the GotY discusions, it sounds like the traveling which takes up a large portion of your time is what turned him off of it.  I don't believe most people minded always pushing "A" once you got into the rhythm of it, but he still did. 

Did he say it was a bad game, or did he simply say he didn't care for it?

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#173  Edited By Belonpopo
    @OllyOxenFree: There is a difference between having an opinion and being flat out wrong.
    forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#174  Edited By forestofdeath
    @Arker101 said:
    "

He dosen't need to justify his opinion( even if he likes GTA 4, but not Redemption ) because it is his opinion. 
    From what I heard in the GotY discusions, it sounds like the traveling which takes up a large portion of your time is what turned him off of it.  I don't believe most people minded always pushing "A" once you got into the rhythm of it, but he still did. 

Did he say it was a bad game, or did he simply say he didn't care for it?

"
    i got a distinct impression from the GOTY deliberations that red dead's initial first few hours soured jeff completely from the game. i guess learning the fundamentals of "being a cowboy" just didn't click with him. he should have stuck with it further, but to each his own.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Belonpopo said:

" @OllyOxenFree: There is a difference between having an opinion and being flat out wrong. "

I'm sorry, but that's probably the stupidest comment I have read all year (and the year is early so that I ain't saying much).  I LOVED RDR.  If Jeff does not dig it then that's FINE.  Not everybody will like every single game that gets amazing reviews, awards and what-not.  It's just not his game.

I'm out of this conversation.  This is just terrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.