Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Is GiantBomb sitting this one out?

• 135 results
    michaelsuen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By michaelsuen

Well if they weren't given a copy by rockstar then they would've had to get it the same time as the rest of us...THEN begin to go through all the bits and bobs...  C'mon guys...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Kazona

Personally I would rather have a later review of this game than none at all, simply because I enjoy reading them. But what strikes me as odd, is the whole reasoning behind there maybe not being a review. Why is it that Jeff has to be the one to play and review the game? There are three other guys, each of them fully capable of playing and reviewing Red Dead Redemption.  

Now that I think about it, I would love to see a review by Vinny again. Of course the timeliness of the review would be completely dependent on how well he could keep his, "I must collect everything, " OCD in check.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Evilsbane
    @yani said:
    "  (srsly don't think he has left his sofa since he got it). "
    Neither have, I type to you while sitting on a big comfy chair that I haven't left in a few days.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By DrLove
    @Jeff said:
    " It sounds like we got a copy of the game today (I ordered one, but one showed up from the publisher, as well), but I'm not sure if we'll review it. There are a lot of other games coming out and by the time we get around to Red Dead, it won't be a particularly timely review. It's just sort of bad timing between us not getting the game until the day it hit stores and me being out of the office for this entire week. At this rate, I'd start on it no earlier than Saturday, which in turn makes our UFC review late, which then probably makes our Alpha Protocol review late. I'm not sure if it's worth the huge domino effect of lateness just to weigh in on a game that everyone's already covered. We'll see.I'm sure a few of us will play at least some of it and we'll talk about it on the podcast for a bit next week. "
    That kinda sucks, but its understandable.  
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By Drebin_893

This thread is embarrassing.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106  Edited By Jayross
    @Jeff: why no quicklook, then?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jayross said:
    " @Jeff: why no quicklook, then? "
    Your jokin right? 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Jayross
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Jayross said:
    Your jokin right?  "
    Sorry, I was just thinking about how they put up a quicklook. 

I meant to say: Why no Red Dead TNT? Split/Second, really?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jayross said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Jayross said:
    Your jokin right?  "
    Sorry, I was just thinking about how they put up a quicklook.  I meant to say: Why no Red Dead TNT? Split/Second, really? "
    Cause the game is over 20 hours on main quest. They just got the game. The quick look was made barely a hour into the game. 
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DrLove

any game that might be a GOTY candidate should be reviewed.. who cares if its late.. Batman was late last year and they loved it.  take your time review it when you can.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By get2sammyb

What the hell has happened to the people on this site. Thanks for clearing stuff up Jeff!

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Jayross
    @The_Laughing_Man: You are going to have to explain how that excludes it from being played for TNT on Thursday... what you said was just irrelevant facts.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jayross said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: You are going to have to explain how that excludes it from being played for TNT on Thursday... what you said was just irrelevant facts. "
    I was saying it for anyone who joins late about the review. I hit quote by mistake. 

As for TNT. The multiplayer has been having major issues on the 360. I am assuming they took this into account when picking the TNT. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jayross
    @The_Laughing_Man: they announced the TNT game before the game came out, so I am sure they did not take it into account when choosing TNT, it clearly was due to other "factors".
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By swamplord666

Seriously WHERES MY GODDAMN CHOCOLATE MILK GIANTBOMB?? 
    People need to really get a sense of perspective in life. this is 4 guys trying to cover all the games we'd like to see. They're not superhuman. There's other places you can look to form an opinion on a game and decide whether they want to buy it. From the quicklook, Brads very impressed with it. There you go.  
    The sense of entitlement over alot of the stuff on this site is rediculous and is an embarrassment to the GB community.  
    The sooner you stop pissing yourself with anger over such irrelevant things, the happier you will be. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jayross said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: they announced the TNT game before the game came out, so I am sure they did not take it into account when choosing TNT, it clearly was due to other "factors". "
    Why not ask them? Or maybe now that I think about it. It is released on Friday outside of the U.S.  

If you are using 360 you should be glad they are not doing TNT for RDR because of the issue. Sorry for mixing up your questions. Not to offend but all the whining is starting to mix toghter. 
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Supermarius
    @Timmmycap said:
    " @Milkman:  ok so Split/seconds review is out now? POP: the forgotten sands review is out now, they may or may not have gotten those game early but still could post them today. so they had until midnight last night to play the game and post a review, it is now 8:43 pacific time, that is 20 hours and 45 min to play and review? that is a really long time. "
    wow, are you fucking insane? You really think they just shit out reviews after playing a game for a few hours? Go, you are beyond help! It's coming out. Yeah its gonna be late but that's rockstars fault.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jayross
    @The_Laughing_Man: yeah, I just asked Jeff in this thread, but confused QL and TNT. 

I played some multiplayer on the 360, there were some connection issues joining friends, but it wasn't terrible. 

I really am terrible at multiplayer though, I can do Bad Company 2, but third-person shooters aren't my game. This game also seems to have pretty fast-paced multiplayer. 

Looking into finding out all of the posibilities of freeroam.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jeff said:
    ".I'm sure a few of us will play at least some of it "
    This is why i pity game journalists. They're so busy with video games that they no longer have the time or mood to enjoy them. 

RDR is one of the biggest games of the year and im sure its gonna be one of the biggest ones of the decade, but these journalists "might play some of it" because of their work.... 

Specializing in video games is a curse. it takes away the reason you became a gamer in the first place..
    superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By superfriend
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Jeff said:

This is why i pity game journalists. They're so busy with video games that they no longer have the time or mood to enjoy them.  RDR is one of the biggest games of the year and im sure its gonna be one of the biggest ones of the decade, but these journalists "might play some of it" because of their work....  Specializing in video games is a curse. it takes away the reason you became a gamer in the first place.. "
    Yeah, they can´t play it because they have to cover... Disney-stuff?? No, It´s pre E3 stuff, so Jeff probably gets to see a lot of exciting games. 
    Still: I´m not a huge fan of this whole preview event thing and how it wears the staff thin. I know GB can´t cover every game, but they should at least be able to play the ones they´re personally interested in and form an opinion. Maybe skip a few of these preview-things if you´re not really interested in the games??
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By schizogony

Since it won't be reviewed,  RDR won't be allowed to be in the running for GOTY 2010 for Giant Bomb then?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @schizogony said:

" Since it won't be reviewed,  RDR won't be allowed to be in the running for GOTY 2010 for Giant Bomb then? "

I assume it would be allowed in the running regardless of whether they review it or not, as long as they play it.
    I'm pretty confident at least one of them is gonna spend a good chunk of time with it - if not for business, for pleasure.

Personally, I'm more interested in hearing some Bombcast commentary.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By schizogony

Vinny will 100% it.  

Vinny's OCD becomes our listening pleasure.

wstewart32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By wstewart32

I'm somewhat confused on the nature of some of the posters, I understand that you want your primary website to post a review, however since this is a big-budget title there is more than enough information to not only educate you about the game itself but also determine whether you should buy it or not. Let's say Brad gives it a 5/5. Well, that's great and I'm glad that he enjoyed the game but that doesn't mean I'm magically going to enjoy the game, now does it? The same goes for the flip side, he could give a game a 2/5 and I absolutely adore it. (Just using Brad as an example, not trying to insinuate a slight against  his abilities as a reviewer) 

Personally, I love Red Dead Redemption and the two sites I frequent most (GiantBomb and Destructoid) could hate this game but that doesn't change my opinion. I understand wanting the review, I don't understand needing the review.

billysea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By billysea

I understand why Jeff doesn't want to review it.  The FF13 review came so late that people didn't really care anymore by the time it hit the web. 
    Though it would be kind of weird to not have an archive/review of this important game.

roscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By roscoe
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Jeff said:
    This is why i pity game journalists. They're so busy with video games that they no longer have the time or mood to enjoy them.  RDR is one of the biggest games of the year and im sure its gonna be one of the biggest ones of the decade, but these journalists "might play some of it" because of their work....  Specializing in video games is a curse. it takes away the reason you became a gamer in the first place.. "
    lol if you really think that it is going to one of the biggest games of the decade then you aint very smart. i know people get really amped for rockstar games, and think that theyre awesome for like a month or so, but after the newness wears off people will be hating on it. youre insane if you think that a game that plays like a lot of games from the last decade will be one of the games of this decade. rdr does absolutely nothing new, which doesnt mean its not a good game, but there is really very little progression from the gta games with rdr.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By kishan6
    @Microsteve said:
    " Yeah some game sites throw a big hissy fit if they don't get a free copy so then everybody signs up with their market competitors to read/watch the reviews. Well done Giantbomb really smart move lol....Not!  "
    shut up
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @roscoe said:

...but after the newness wears off people will be hating on it...

Like GTA IV, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, MGS4, and the like this game will be getting hate well into the future.
    Know why?  Because that's what happens to all awesome games.

Bad games never get hated on after the "newness wears off", they just get forgotten.
    roscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By roscoe

yeah good games tend to get nit picked, but thats because people hold them in such high regards. is rdr a game worth getting perfect or near perfect reviews? no, but it did, and because of that people will look for anything to hate on.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @roscoe said:
    ...is rdr a game worth getting perfect or near perfect reviews?
    So far it seems to be hitting that 9.75 area for me.
    roscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By roscoe

on a 10 scale, that is near perfect. outliers would be a 10

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @roscoe said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Jeff said:
    lol if you really think that it is going to one of the biggest games of the decade then you aint very smart. i know people get really amped for rockstar games, and think that theyre awesome for like a month or so, but after the newness wears off people will be hating on it. youre insane if you think that a game that plays like a lot of games from the last decade will be one of the games of this decade. rdr does absolutely nothing new, which doesnt mean its not a good game, but there is really very little progression from the gta games with rdr. "
    It seems like you're another one of those "professional" gamers who look into matters too much and base their judgement on game comparison, etc.. and think that the people who dont arent 'smart'. you're taking it too seriously, we're here to enjoy ourselves.
    Thats a good thing, and its good for you, but i prefer basing my opinions on not only that, but also some emotion. 

Firstly, it's a GTA game. personally, i am too much of a GTA fan and i believe that whether you like it or not, the GTA series is a heartbreaker and a life taker. Everyone falls for it and its entertained us for years. "people hate on it" ? To be honest i think that most of those people are either nonconformists who just love to piss on the BIG HYPE / BIG TITLE games, or maybe some bitter trolls, etc..  
    Then again, its all a matter of opinion, and maybe my opinion of GTA is no longer acceptable in the gaming world in 2010, but i shall stick to it. GTA fucking rocks and it makes EVERYONE jizz. the post-first-playthrough hate doesnt make sense to me. explain it ?

RDR has nothing new? So you're telling me that there IS an open world game GTA-style with such a big map? You're telling me that there IS an epic wild wild west video game? (Please, point me in their direction. And dont offend me by saying GUN or CoJ). 
    You're telling me that there is a game out there that generates random people, animals and events of all sorts, taking place around you as you travel, nonstop ? 

I think that deep down inside you think RDR fucking rocks, but for some reason you just dont wanna identify with that. 

P.S. i know that my tone sounds confrontational or mean but it isnt :)
    reviltihco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By reviltihco
    @ProfessorEss said:

" @roscoe said:

...but after the newness wears off people will be hating on it...

Like GTA IV, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, MGS4, and the like this game will be getting hate well into the future.
    Know why?  Because that's what happens to all awesome games.

Bad games never get hated on after the "newness wears off", they just get forgotten. "
    I totally agree with you. 

Why people said a game has to be original, do something no one has done before to be a great game or a GOTY or a GOTD? It doesn't have to. It just need to be a high quality awesome game.        
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By ericdrum
    @reviltihco said:
    " @ProfessorEss:  

Why people said a game has to be original, do something no one has done before to be a great game or a GOTY or a GOTD? It doesn't have to. It just need to be an high quality awesome game.     "
    This. There are plenty of games I've played in my time that I'd just like a fresh coat of paint on and they could have my 60 bucks.
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By JCGamer
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @lolak47 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @lolak47 said:
    " ok maybe not RDR because they wouldnt send them a copy till late,but someone can play it a soon as they got it and beat it in a day n review  next day. come on u are hardcore gamers !! stop slacking.   but protocol review must be before release !!! "
    Like what games? As of late there has only been crap.  "
    Prince of persia, split second, skate3, dead to rights, picross 3d ..... some of these not crap but who cares about any of them games anyway. "
    I am sure there are people who are interested in those games. You are not the only one viewing this site.  Picross 3d Got a lot of attention from people here. Not to mention Skate 3. Split second.  "
    I bought Picross 3D because of the quick look.  Love the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.