Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Revelations

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Jan 26, 2012

Resident Evil: Revelations is a full, story-driven Resident Evil title in which Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine split up to investigate a new conspiracy, with new partners Parker and Jessica.

Today In Capcom Doing Upsetting Things: Resident Evil: Revelations is $50

• 171 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Remember when I said this morning that Capcom seemingly can't make an announcement regarding one of its games without stoking the flames of rage of the company's fanbase? Guess what? It happened again.

I'M IN UR 3DS, EATIN' ALL UR CARTRIDGE MEMORIEZZZ

Late last night, word began creeping through the Internet that Resident Evil: Revelations, the company's purported "console-sized" 3DS zombie (and probably some not-zombies, too) adventure scheduled for release early next year, would bear the tragic price tag of $50.Why, in the name of all that is holy, would a publisher dare put out a game at a price $10 more expensive than the standard for a platform that has already struggled selling units and software? Because of storage. Naturally.

"Resident Evil Revelations is an all new Resident Evil title with over 20 hours of gameplay, and cutscenes beautifully rendered in fear-inducing 3D," read a statement sent to Kotaku on the matter. "A true console experience on a handheld device, Resident Evil Revelations is an epic title that offers both a single-player campaign for that classic survival horror gaming experience, and an additional RAID mode that can be played cooperatively or single player. To handle all of that data Resident Evil Revelations requires a 4GB cartridge, resulting in a higher price point."

It's worth noting that this price point is entirely separate from the whole Circle Pad thing, which as of yet has not been announced for release outside of Japan (but we're betting it gets one eventually).

If this whole situation gives you sudden panic attacks, it's likely due to long-repressed memories of the early console gaming market, back when cartridge-based titles fluctuated in price wildly depending on required storage space. I can remember paying in upward of $90 for certain console titles, depending on demand/storage, and I've spent years in therapy trying to put those tragic times behind me. Now all of the sudden I can't stop sobbing and I'm frantically looking to see if I have any leftover Valium. Thanks for rendering two decades of therapy worthless, Capcom.

The other tragedy in all of this is that I just got done writing about Capcom's penchant for inciting rage with just about every major game announcement. Had I waited another day, I suppose I could have added this latest announcement to the smoldering pile of ashen hate, but then I guess that's what I get for trying to be timely.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Remember when I said this morning that Capcom seemingly can't make an announcement regarding one of its games without stoking the flames of rage of the company's fanbase? Guess what? It happened again.

Late last night, word began creeping through the Internet that Resident Evil: Revelations, the company's purported "console-sized" 3DS zombie (and probably some not-zombies, too) adventure scheduled for release early next year, would bear the tragic price tag of $50.Why, in the name of all that is holy, would a publisher dare put out a game at a price $10 more expensive than the standard for a platform that has already struggled selling units and software? Because of storage. Naturally.

"Resident Evil Revelations is an all new Resident Evil title with over 20 hours of gameplay, and cutscenes beautifully rendered in fear-inducing 3D," read a statement sent to Kotaku on the matter. "A true console experience on a handheld device, Resident Evil Revelations is an epic title that offers both a single-player campaign for that classic survival horror gaming experience, and an additional RAID mode that can be played cooperatively or single player. To handle all of that data Resident Evil Revelations requires a 4GB cartridge, resulting in a higher price point."

It's worth noting that this price point is entirely separate from the whole Circle Pad thing, which as of yet has not been announced for release outside of Japan (but we're betting it gets one eventually).

If this whole situation gives you sudden panic attacks, it's likely due to long-repressed memories of the early console gaming market, back when cartridge-based titles fluctuated in price wildly depending on required storage space. I can remember paying in upward of $90 for certain console titles, depending on demand/storage, and I've spent years in therapy trying to put those tragic times behind me. Now all of the sudden I can't stop sobbing and I'm frantically looking to see if I have any leftover Valium. Thanks for rendering two decades of therapy worthless, Capcom.

The other tragedy in all of this is that I just got done writing about Capcom's penchant for inciting rage with just about every major game announcement. Had I waited another day, I suppose I could have added this latest announcement to the smoldering pile of ashen hate, but then I guess that's what I get for trying to be timely.

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DaBuddaDa

Of course. $50, this is going to bomb.

Praise_the_sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Praise_the_sun

THANK YOU BASED CAPCOM

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Heartagram

And I'm sure when it doesn't sell well they'll blame the american market not being interested in Japanese games

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jack268

That's about half of what a game costs here usually 

And I can see why they have to raise prices in the west when Nintendo are losing so much by exchanging between dollar and yen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why not just make it better looking and charge 60 for it on consoles?  I'll buy it.

They should really just make those damn games play on TVs anyway.  Because there's plenty of PSP games I would play if I could Super Game Boy them on my TV.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WJist

Paying $50 for a handheld game is the kind of thing worth getting outraged about. If it came with the circle pad attachment or some other extra thing, yeah I could see it, but for more storage? On a game I'm likely playing on the bus/subway?

The other way of seeing this is that Nintendo handhelds have never made players pay for proprietary memory cards without including them in the box from the start. So Developers want to start now with the 3DS per cart? Ouch.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mesoian
    @Heartagram said:

And I'm sure when it doesn't sell well they'll blame the american market not being interested in Japanese games

That's unfortunately the truth. 

Oh well, go ahead, test the market where every other game is 30-40 dollars and see if people are really willing to shell out for a handheld resident evil experience. 

Those Capcom heads need some serious re-evaluation.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIGHT, BECAUSE THE MERCENARIES WAS SO WELL RECEIVED, RIGHT?

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By CyleMoore

3DS games need to be priced at the DS price range.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By 234r2we232

@Mesoian said:

@Heartagram said:

That's unfortunately the truth. Oh well, go ahead, test the market where every other game is 30-40 dollars and see if people are really willing to shell out for a handheld resident evil experience. Those Capcom heads need some serious re-evaluation.

I get it! RE-evaluation! *claps*

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ockman

Oh god, seriously go to hell Capcom!

Ya know what I would've paid $50 for: Mega Man Legends 3!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Contro

@WJist said:

Paying $50 for a handheld game is the kind of thing worth getting outraged about. If it came with the circle pad attachment or some other extra thing, yeah I could see it, but for more storage? On a game I'm likely playing on the bus/subway?

The other way of seeing this is that Nintendo handhelds have never made players pay for proprietary memory cards without including them in the box from the start. So Developers want to start now with the 3DS per cart? Ouch.

Why do you think where you play a game has anything to do with its value?.

Do you think Vita players will be complaining about not having a TV monitor to plug in, or simply happy that they get to experience a console quality game on a handheld while out and about?. This game isn't a spin-off, it's a direct sequel to RE5 and has had a sizeable development budget to suit such a game.

Back in '93 I was playing Street Fighter 2 CE on my PCEngine GT, on the bus, the game cost me around £70 (more than new games cost here right now) back then and it didn't bother me in the slightest (I gathered a crowd after they heard the sound Shoryuken's emanating from the back of the bus, lol). Anyway, It was well worth the cost, not because of that, but because I was able to experience what I lovedmost back then, whenever I wanted while on the move. For RE fans who love MP ("Raid Mode" in this game), the game will have a similar degree of appeal.

imperfectbeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By imperfectbeing

Oh man, why even make this for 3DS?

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By warchief

wow so this is been the year of capcom fucking up huh.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By VicRattlehead

i don't see why this is news, companies selling digital games on psn for £60 is a hell of lot more rage inducing than this

boxoflawls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By boxoflawls

oh man. I'm glad i stopped at the DS lite.

Sword5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sword5

I hope they port it to XBLA. Console experiences should be on consoles.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Beb

Not sure who will buy this. I don't think most people want a 'console' experience on a handheld, and the few that do seem more likely to be waiting for the Vita.

Seems like a waste of dev talent and time.

Or maybe I'm wrong and this is the start of a new age of handheld gaming.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

You can get a quality 4GB USB stick on Newegg for seven dollars. $1.75 per gig. I call bullshit on this reason.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

"You want to erase your save data this time? Fine...give us 10 extra dollars. It's only fair!"

-Capcom

ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShatterShock

*Clicks the screenshot on the article, browses some of the game's images*

Either Capcom are technological wizards who have squeezed a power out of the 3DS not even Nintendo realizes it has, or those are some of the most amazing bullshots I've ever seen. Seriously, compare these screenshots to Mario Land 3DS.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By kollay

$50? Hell, I'd rather buy the smallest SSD out there.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cikame

I have no idea why you'd spend so much effort forcing something onto a handheld when you could put the same thing on a console, huge games are wasted on tiny screens.

Quite a few people have handhelds, everyone has consoles.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Chris2KLee

Capcom really needs to hire some new PR people, before someone really does punch poor Seth Killian in the face at a convention.

Axdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Axdemon

I mean, I'll just wait a month or so until the inevitable price drop. It's a 3DS game, it's not like I need it on day 1 for multiplayer or anything. At least, that's what I would say if I owned a 3DS. That not being the case, something like this is not going to convince me to buy one any sooner. Consumers are getting a bit more patient and price drops are happening a lot faster these days.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LoktarOgar
    a Groundhog Day scenario that nobody at the company can quite to figure out how to break out of. 

Take heads out of asses, etc.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet

Cue a port on 360 and PS3.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm

@Chris2KLee said:

Capcom really needs to hire some new PR people, before someone really does punch poor Seth Killian in the face at a convention.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ScreamingFist

Don't worry guys, the price will drop pretty quick so no need to complain about this much. Wait until they say you can't erase saved data to hump over the used market for it then you can get pissy ;D

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By arch4non

Capcom has been rapidly burning through all their karma. Gamers are likely to completely turn on them soon.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By frondoni

@Contro said:

Do you think Vita players will be complaining about not having a TV monitor to plug in, or simply happy that they get to experience a console quality game on a handheld while out and about?. This game isn't a spin-off, it's a direct sequel to RE5 and has had a sizeable development budget to suit such a game.

Back in '93 I was playing Street Fighter 2 CE on my PCEngine GT, on the bus, the game cost me around £70 (more than new games cost her right now) pounds back then and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I gathered a crowd of kids after they heard the sound Shoryuken's emanating from the back of the bus. It was worth the cost, I was able to experience what I loved most back then, whenever I wanted.

Nice story.

Not all of us are willing to shell out inordinate amounts of money to impress a bus full of children though.

As for pricing and platform, most console games offer a deeper or at least more technically proficient experience than mobile systems. The reduced price point reflects the reduced complexity/production values. If Revelations is as amazing as you suggest, than the logical route would be to give it a console release. Being charging above the average market price for a game always stings.

That, and the animosity Capcom has acquired as of late really taints anything they do. I'd hold out for the console re-release inevitably coming next year.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By ZenaxPure

Let's be honest, even at $40 the game probably won't sell well anyway. The people willing to pay $40 for it will probably shell out another $10 without thinking too much about it. Is it wrong or crazy? Not really, if you don't want it simply don't buy it. Like I said I doubt it will sell well anyway regardless of price so who really cares they are putting it at $50 because it's a fairly large game for a handheld.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joeyoe31

Coming from me, huge Capcom fan, stuff like this is just disappointing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

@Alex said:

an additional RAID mode that can be played cooperatively or single player.

So I guess it's RAID 0, then?

jdw519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jdw519

Oh Capcom... watching you immolate yourself is both sad and funny...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Has Capcom gone insane?  Or is this part of a marketing plan where they think 3DS users are so desperate for new games that they can fuck us over and we'll take it?  
    Outside of the fighting game genre and downloadable games that have had a pretty shitty track record this console generation.  I love Resident Evil and was anticipating this game because it was the first true RE game since 5.    The Mercenary Mode 3DS shit thing doesn't count because it was just a bonus mode barely stretched into a retail product.  Which if I rememer was a big fuck you with its only one non erasable save slot.
    I hope Capcom gets back on track because I have been a fan since I first play Ducktales back in the day.

l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By l3reak

Give me a freakin' break, $10 for 4GB of flash storage? So, really, $10 for an extra 2-3GB. Maybe 3DS carts are higher quality than SD cards, but I have a hard time believing they're $4/GB.

Just be honest with us, Capcom. You've purred a lot of money into this game, so you're gonna charge more for it. Nothing wrong with that. Why the BS?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Contro

@frondoni said:

@Contro said:

Back in '93 I was playing Street Fighter 2 CE on my PCEngine GT, on the bus, the game cost me around £70 (more than new games cost her right now) pounds back then and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I gathered a crowd of kids after they heard the sound Shoryuken's emanating from the back of the bus. It was worth the cost, I was able to experience what I loved most back then, whenever I wanted.

Nice story.

Not all of us are willing to shell out inordinate amounts of money to impress a bus full of children though.

As for pricing and platform, most console games offer a deeper or at least more technically proficient experience than mobile systems. The reduced price point reflects the reduced complexity/production values. If Revelations is as amazing as you suggest, than the logical route would be to give it a console release. Being charging above the average market price for a game always stings.

That, and the animosity Capcom has acquired as of late really taints anything they do. I'd hold out for the console re-release inevitably coming next year.

Ha Ha, I was kid myself. You evade my point completely, my point was that as fan of a series as I was willing to pay a high price to be able to play my favourite game while on the move. RE fans in this case will be willing to do the same to play the game's MP Raid Mode.

How is it logical to bring a game designed around stereoscopic 3D, and other 3DS features which only the 3DS has, to consoles?

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WJist

@Contro said:

@WJist said:

Back in '93 I was playing Street Fighter 2 CE on my PCEngine GT, on the bus, the game cost me around £70 (more than new games cost her right now) back then and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I gathered a crowd of kids after they heard the sound Shoryuken's emanating from the back of the bus. It was well worth the cost, as I was able to experience what I loved most back then, whenever I wanted while on the move. For RE fans who love MP, the game will have similar appeal.

Where you play has nothing to do with its value; I played MGS2 on a tiny TV in a moving car and beat the game that way, no value proposition there.

The thing is the iPhone has been pushing the price of handheld gaming costs down for similar kinds of experiences. For some people, $50 or more isn't that much for the level of quality (probably high) you're getting in this package. It is weird though that at MSRP, I could probably get RE: Revelations for the price of what RE6 may cost on home consoles when literally every game for the 3DS platform isn't being sold for $50 from the start. Charging more for a game isn't exactly what most consumers want, even if you're a fan of the series and you want to offset the cost of creating that game on the developer end because they gave you what you wanted.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By End_Boss

Man, Capcom fucking up left and right. This is a real shame, especially since it will likely result in a potentially good game being seen by very few compared to the numbers it might command if it was released at a standard price point.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#43  Edited By BoringK

Oh man, I'd be SO pissed about this if I still gave two shits about Resident Evil.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By admanb

Oh, Japan. You really have no idea what's happening, do you?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Contro

@WJist said:

@Contro said:

@WJist said:

Back in '93 I was playing Street Fighter 2 CE on my PCEngine GT, on the bus, the game cost me around £70 (more than new games cost her right now) back then and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I gathered a crowd of kids after they heard the sound Shoryuken's emanating from the back of the bus. It was well worth the cost, as I was able to experience what I loved most back then, whenever I wanted while on the move. For RE fans who love MP, the game will have similar appeal.

Where you play has nothing to do with its value; I played MGS2 on a tiny TV in a moving car and beat the game that way, no value proposition there.

The thing is the iPhone has been pushing the price of handheld gaming costs down for similar kinds of experiences. For some people, $50 or more isn't that much for the level of quality (probably high) you're getting in this package. It is weird though that at MSRP, I could probably get RE: Revelations for the price of what RE6 may cost on home consoles when literally every game for the 3DS platform isn't being sold for $50 from the start. Charging more for a game isn't exactly what most consumers want, even if you're a fan of the series and you want to offset the cost of creating that game on the developer end because they gave you what you wanted.

Are you seriously suggesting that you've had comparable gaming experience on iPhone?.

The current aim for developers creating software for 3DS and Vita, in light of developments elsewhere in the industry, is to up the quality and experience, far in excess of what's possible on other handheld devices, which I should add lack conventional control methods and unique features which both these handheld's possess. That's exactly what we're seeing now with this move, but it comes at a price. The game is huge and the quality bar is very high (read the forum), this sadly requires Capcom to use a 4GB cart which comes at considerably more cost to them.

A whole lotta love has gone into this game, and resources, the same cannot be said for the vast majority of throw-away gaming experiences on iPhone.

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LetsRockBaby

Oooooohhh Capcom

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Phoenix87

Capcom is always doing upsetting things.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer

If this game really does offer an experience as robust and nuanced as a full console experience, then why shouldn't it be priced accordingly? How can we make snap decisions on the value of a game we have zero knowledge about?

Think about your favorite game of all time. If it had released at $10 above the standard price-point would it suddenly have become the worst thing ever? Was Starcraft II the worst thing ever for releasing at $10 more than the standard PC game?

Maitimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maitimo

Seems like an excellent way to undersell, even against the low expectations a 3DS title must have.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Tesla

I wonder why the handheld market is dying? Oh well, back to playing Game Dev Story on my phone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.