Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resonance of Fate

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 28, 2010

A "gun battle" RPG developed at tri-Ace in collaboration with SEGA.

Looks like everybody's gonna forget about this one. ;_;

• 51 results
    Ihatespaces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ihatespaces

What with God of War III being released today, seems this game is most definitely going to be taking a backseat. Not that it was really hyped all that much anyways (for some odd reason). Seems like a pretty bad idea on Tri-Ace's part, but oh well. I'm still going to get it, anyone else going to?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

When I get a PS3 - yes.  Looks  sweet.  Eurogamer gave it an 80.  Why games like God of War III appeal more to people is beyond me - the first game was boring to me.  Give me a Tri-Ace game anytime.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#3  Edited By Jazz

Once it comes to the EU then sure..if i have the time and money. Rather that than GoW. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PC  only here.........

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Addfwyn

Nope, I have my copy coming in, but yeah it was a bad time to release it (shortly after FFXIII and same day as GoW?) 

My copy is on its way though from Amazon, should be here tomorrow.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

I'm picking my copy up tomorrow, so definitely not forgotten by everyone.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

Nope, actually considering it over FFXIII.

Just waiting for some reviews... Or I'm just skipping over to Monster Hunter Tri.... Damn, I wish I didn't have to buy a Wii for the game. 

Spending nearly $300 for a game is pretty uncool.

CharlesSurge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CharlesSurge

SEGA totally failed at mentioning this game's existence.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By beargirl1

looks interesting.. like Valkyria Chronicles or something. i didn't even know this existed. will look into it

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By animateria
    @CharlesSurge said:
    " SEGA totally failed at mentioning this game's existence. "
    They were stupid enough to not mention Yakuza 3 much besides telling the whole world it's missing content.

So this one is a bit mild in comparison.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shinri

I'll be getting it once I tire of FFXIII.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Pistols in a JRPG that you aren't using to shoot yourself with?

Seems original to me!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I want to get this too, but I also want Pokemon HeartGold.

Decisions.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luce

I liked Valkyrie Profile 2 so i should enjoy this game. I'm short on cash though so Its either this or God of War (not a huge GoW fan)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

More excited for this than I was for 13. Seems to be building on some things from Valkyrie Profile 2, which makes it infinitely more interesting than some 5 year dev nightmare.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By callumbay

I'm going to get it!... in the summer, probably... I'm pre-occupied with FF XIII and coursework at the moment. D:

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @luce said:
    " I liked Valkyrie Profile 2 so i should enjoy this game. I'm short on cash though so Its either this or God of War (not a huge GoW fan) "
    @ryanwho said:
    " More excited for this than I was for 13. Seems to be building on some things from Valkyrie Profile 2, which makes it infinitely more interesting than some 5 year dev nightmare. "
    Valkyrie Profile 2 was great (and overlooked as well), but it got way too hard for me.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure

I absolutely loved the demo despite not being able to beat it (might have something to do with the fact I don't read Japanese, who knows) but the fact I haven't seen a single ad for it and FF13 came out last week leads me to believe it is gonna bomb and will probably be fairly cheap soon (remember Infinite Undiscovery? Got my copy brand new like 2 weeks after it came out on Amazon for around $40) 

@oldschool: It is also out on 360 dude, thought you had one? That is what I will be getting it on whenever the heck I fuck up and spend more money I shouldn't be spending again.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @luce said:
    " I liked Valkyrie Profile 2 so i should enjoy this game. I'm short on cash though so Its either this or God of War (not a huge GoW fan) "
    @ryanwho said:
    " More excited for this than I was for 13. Seems to be building on some things from Valkyrie Profile 2, which makes it infinitely more interesting than some 5 year dev nightmare. "
    Valkyrie Profile 2 was great (and overlooked as well), but it got way too hard for me. "
    Its a deceptive game, because you're really just trying to survive long enough to bombard the enemy. People might pick it up and assume the only esoteric thing about it is the sidescrolling, then they get into the SRPG-esc battle system with giant combo chains. You can always grind on the giant enemy crabs.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

i would like some reviews, not for the score, but to know something about the game...all i know is its a jrpg with a emphasis on guns instead of the usual fantasy and magic thing

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy
    @oldschool said:

" When I get a PS3 - yes.  Looks  sweet.  Eurogamer gave it an 80.  Why games like God of War III appeal more to people is beyond me - the first game was boring to me.  Give me a Tri-Ace game anytime. "

I agree with this so, so much. Tri Ace is one of my favorites, partly because they have mastered the post-game dungeon. 

I will definitely be picking this up for 360 somewhere down the line.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @luce said:
    @ryanwho said:
    Valkyrie Profile 2 was great (and overlooked as well), but it got way too hard for me. "
    Its a deceptive game, because you're really just trying to survive long enough to bombard the enemy. People might pick it up and assume the only esoteric thing about it is the sidescrolling, then they get into the SRPG-esc battle system with giant combo chains. You can always grind on the giant enemy crabs. "
    Yeah, I probably started that game over eight times to date. The battle system was a natural extension of the first game, but since the first game had limited enemies I felt that VP2's grinding was more of a chore than it needed to be.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By vidiot

I have most certainly not forgotten about this game, although I'm going to pull back on buying it outright due to the sheer amount of games I'm currently playing. To give some perspective: I'm actually holding back on God of War 3 for a few weeks. This month has been dreadful in terms of the sheer amount of holiday run-off releases. Very overwhelming. 

There's a demo on the Japanese PSN marketplace, beware though the battle system is quite complex and might be indecipherable for some. Predict that tutorials in English might help. :P

To be honest, I don't really know why Sega even bothered to release anything this month. The release of Yakuza 3 has been a universal joke, not just shipping it out on the same day as Final Fantasy XIII, but between two massive exclusive PS3 releases the likes of Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3. It's ridiculous. People in the past have voiced their utter disdain for this company, something aside from Sonic I've been pretty ambivalent about. 

Their predictable inability to market the games they release has begun to really bother me. I've talked to people about Resonance of Fate, gamers who are adamant JRPG fans, and a vast majority dont even know this game exists. Whether it's Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, and now Resonance of Fate, internet word of mouth seems to be the only driving factor with their releases. 
    I sure as hell wouldn't have known of this game's release had it not been for a forum post. That's absurd.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @Zenaxzd said:
    @oldschool: It is also out on 360 dude, thought you had one? That is what I will be getting it on whenever the heck I fuck up and spend more money I shouldn't be spending again. "
    It has no release date in Australia that I am aware of.  The English (NTSC) version of the game has region coding so it can't be imported.  Oddly enough, the Asian version of the game (not to be confused with the Japanese version) has no region coding:   Resonance of Fate 
    Thing is, it says that it is in English.  Most of the Asian version of games seems to have English as the main language - so what is the difference?  One day I must import a cheap Asian 360 game and see what they are actually like, as their is very often cheap imports available in that format - anyone import Asian games?
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By shirogane

The asian version being the one called End of Eternity? My friend was playing it on PS3 the other day, while i was playihg Yakuza. 

From what the Gameinformer i bought for $2 today says. (it was cheap, and i needed entertainment on the way home) Resonance of Fate has a really nice battle system, but the rest isn't all that great. They did mention something about hardcore JRPG fans liking it though. So, if you're into JRPGs, and want a unique battle system, but don't care much about the plot, script or story, i guess this game's for you? 

@oldschool: http://www.ebgames.com.au/search?title=Resonance+of+Fate     
    25/03, which happens to be next week. Comes with soundtrack, which was one of the few things the review praised.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    @oldschool: http://www.ebgames.com.au/search?title=Resonance+of+Fate     25/03, which happens to be next week. Comes with soundtrack, which was one of the few things the review praised. "
    Excellent - but $108 for it - ouch as usual.  I will wait for a MUCH lower price than that.  The Asian version would only cost about $70 to import and it says it is in English.  I will just hold back for a while.
    thuiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By thuiscool
    @ryanwho said: 

" You can always grind on the giant enemy crabs. "

GIANT ENEMY CRABS!?!!? GOTY! 

Joking aside, the game does seem interesting and I will probably get it once I read a few more reviews.     
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega doesn't promote anything but the rodent. I will get this game regardless.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By MildMolasses
    @animateria said:
    " @CharlesSurge said:
    " SEGA totally failed at mentioning this game's existence. "
    They were stupid enough to not mention Yakuza 3 much besides telling the whole world it's missing content.  So this one is a bit mild in comparison."

In both these cases, I think anyone that would buy the game is well aware of its existence. Putting this out a week after FF XIII and the same day as GoW III is mighty retarded though
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By shirogane
    @oldschool said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    @oldschool: http://www.ebgames.com.au/search?title=Resonance+of+Fate     25/03, which happens to be next week. Comes with soundtrack, which was one of the few things the review praised. "
    Excellent - but $108 for it - ouch as usual.  I will wait for a MUCH lower price than that.  The Asian version would only cost about $70 to import and it says it is in English.  I will just hold back for a while. "

My sentiments exactly. Cost way too much, for that price i'd rather get FFXIII, which i have no interest in whatsoever. At least, none in buying. I'll get it off my friend when he's done. 
    Only problem with this game is that it might become impossible to find in like a week. I think Yakuza 3 is like impossible to find already. Good thing i got it from EB the day before it come out.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#31  Edited By Jazz

pre-ordered the EU version 

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Ihatespaces said:
    " What with God of War III being released today, seems this game is most definitely going to be taking a backseat. Not that it was really hyped all that much anyways (for some odd reason). Seems like a pretty bad idea on Tri-Ace's part, but oh well. I'm still going to get it, anyone else going to? "
    You do realize that God of War III will only be good for about a day before people start digging for other newly released games?
    thuiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thuiscool

Who is going to forget this? This is a prime candidate for a 2010 Northy! 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By trophyhunter
    @thuiscool said:

" Who is going to forget this? This is a prime candidate for a 2010 Northy! 

"
    best thing ever

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By jeff

I started playing it on Friday to see if it'd be worth doing a Quick Look. I got through 10 chapters of the tutorial before realizing that it'd be 20 minutes of video of me banging my head against the battle system. Probably not going to do it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Jeff said:
    " I started playing it on Friday to see if it'd be worth doing a Quick Look. I got through 10 chapters of the tutorial before realizing that it'd be 20 minutes of video of me banging my head against the battle system. Probably not going to do it. "
    Yes, from the reviews thus far it seems it tosses you right into the combat and tells you to figure it out from the start and isn't very forgiving.
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yep already forgot

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @Jeff said:
    " I started playing it on Friday to see if it'd be worth doing a Quick Look. I got through 10 chapters of the tutorial before realizing that it'd be 20 minutes of video of me banging my head against the battle system. Probably not going to do it. "
    Yes, from the reviews thus far it seems it tosses you right into the combat and tells you to figure it out from the start and isn't very forgiving. "
    I'm on chapter 6 of the game and have not died once. I took the battle system quite fast and think this is a really good game. 
    I'm not trying to brag or anything just it's not that hard or even that complicated. Jeff you played the horrifying first dozen hours of yakuza 3 you should be able to sit through a few hours of this game.
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By habster3

I am intrigued now that a few decent reviews are coming in, but I didn't hear about this game until GI's preview.

thuiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thuiscool
    @Jeff: Yea, a quick look would be frustrating. Maybe just a short video of the battle system?
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Phaseshift

Hey guys I know you pay me a 6 figure salary and I feel I have earned that salary today. My presentation is called "Why we should release our RPG next to the 5 year anticipated Final Fantasy 13" guys? guys....?

All jokes aside it was a bit of a bad call but tbh I watched a few hours of this game on justin tv today and its really good.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Pepsiman

The battle system is indeed pretty intriguing once you start figuring out the nuances and feel comfortable with experimenting with it, but until then, yeah, it's not the easiest system to get into. Even if you understand Japanese somewhat like myself, the demo doesn't do a fantastic job of explaining its systems, especially if you just go for normal mode which more or less just outright ditches any and all control explanations. That being said, I still really liked it and will probably buy a copy of the game eventually once spending cools off for a while. Like a lot of people, March has been a pretty big month for game-buying for me and the buck pretty much has to stop at Strange Journey for me for at least a little while. But definitely count me intrigued for sure.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By gla55jAw

After FFXIII I'm getting this.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lambert

Good. God of War 3 is the better game anyways.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45  Edited By King9999
    @Zenaxzd said:

" @Jeff said:

Yes, from the reviews thus far it seems it tosses you right into the combat and tells you to figure it out from the start and isn't very forgiving. "
    Not true at all.  As Jeff has stated (and owning the game myself), there is a tutorial that explains the battle system.  There is a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it.  Once you get it, battles become very fun.  I think Jeff needs to man up, honestly.  I guess there won't be a review anytime soon, then. 

I want to add that if you die, you can restart the battle right on the spot (for a cost), so it's not as unforgiving as some reviews may have you believe. 

EDIT: I have to say that Sega has done a poor job handling this game.  People seem to have difficulty finding RoF.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kbm600
    @King9999 said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:

" @Jeff said:

Not true at all.  As Jeff has stated (and owning the game myself), there is a tutorial that explains the battle system.  There is a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it.  Once you get it, battles become very fun.  I think Jeff needs to man up, honestly.  I guess there won't be a review anytime soon, then.  I want to add that if you die, you can restart the battle right on the spot (for a cost), so it's not as unforgiving as some reviews may have you believe. "
    I have no knowledge of what this game is at all, but considering all Jeff has to play, write about, and just do in general I don't think he needs to "man up" to play some game that's giving him too much difficulty when it isn't necessary. 
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47  Edited By King9999
    @Kbm600 said:
    " @King9999 said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:

" @Jeff said:

Not true at all.  As Jeff has stated (and owning the game myself), there is a tutorial that explains the battle system.  There is a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it.  Once you get it, battles become very fun.  I think Jeff needs to man up, honestly.  I guess there won't be a review anytime soon, then.  I want to add that if you die, you can restart the battle right on the spot (for a cost), so it's not as unforgiving as some reviews may have you believe. "
    I have no knowledge of what this game is at all, but considering all Jeff has to play, write about, and just do in general I don't think he needs to "man up" to play some game that's giving him too much difficulty when it isn't necessary.  "
    Then perhaps GB needs to hire some more people?  Because other sites have reviewed this game, and I'm sure they're in the same boat as Jeff.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By DocHaus

For what it's worth, I've been trying to work on a guide to explain things, fighting the bugged table of contents that won't let me re-order the chapters or save/publish when the number of chapters gets too long. At some point, when I've gotten through more of the story and feel particularly inspired, I'll get to a review of the thing.

Personally, I really like the gun-fu approach to traditional turn-based JRPG combat, even if it does have a few annoying nuances here and there. Too bad it stumped you, Jeff.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lautaro

So is the game like Final Fantasy XIII in that it slowly introduces you to the combat system? Or is there a huge tutorial at the start and thats it? Also I will be for sure buying this after seeing that ridiculously awesome raisins video that was posted.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic

im glad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.