Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

This Complex Needs Work

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

Edited By TheGamerGeek

This is Sparta!
    This is Sparta!

My opinions on Shadow Complex have been varying completely, one minute I'm loving it, the other minute it's making me want to rip my own eyes out. Don 't get me wrong, Shadow Complex is "decent", it's just too overrated and people seem to be missing all the problems associated with the game.

One annoyance that is getting to me the most is the shooting. It's fine and dandy when you're shooting and the camera is close to you but whether already frustrating camera feels the need to show the entire are you are in, you're forced to squint your eyes just to see if you're shooting the person and not the wall. While this is happening the people are shooting you, dead on your body I must add, and that is decreasing your health by the second. This results in you seeing that death screen quite a bit. Also, why the hell do you have to shoot vertically? That only adds more frustration to the game.

You can definitely tell that within the first 5 minutes of the game, it's an Unreal Engine run game.The dull, stale art style is similar to...well, every other Unreal Engine game ever made. I personally think that if this would've been on some different engine, it would've changed the look drastically in a good way. Until then, I guess you should just enjoy your bland grayish colors.

You have to keep in mind, these are just my impressions of the game after about 2 hours of playtime. This doesn't mean I hate the game, the water is decent looking, leveling system and collectibles are good, and I still can't wait to play the game and hope it does get better and start to impress me a little more. It had potential that just went unfulfilled. I'm not saying this cause I hate 2D type games like this, Super Metroid is one of my most favorite games to date. I could spend hours on end playing that thing. I guess I just went into this with way too much hype or something. I'll wrap this up by saying Shadow Complex is OK, just nothing more than that.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheGamerGeek

This is Sparta!
    This is Sparta!

My opinions on Shadow Complex have been varying completely, one minute I'm loving it, the other minute it's making me want to rip my own eyes out. Don 't get me wrong, Shadow Complex is "decent", it's just too overrated and people seem to be missing all the problems associated with the game.

One annoyance that is getting to me the most is the shooting. It's fine and dandy when you're shooting and the camera is close to you but whether already frustrating camera feels the need to show the entire are you are in, you're forced to squint your eyes just to see if you're shooting the person and not the wall. While this is happening the people are shooting you, dead on your body I must add, and that is decreasing your health by the second. This results in you seeing that death screen quite a bit. Also, why the hell do you have to shoot vertically? That only adds more frustration to the game.

You can definitely tell that within the first 5 minutes of the game, it's an Unreal Engine run game.The dull, stale art style is similar to...well, every other Unreal Engine game ever made. I personally think that if this would've been on some different engine, it would've changed the look drastically in a good way. Until then, I guess you should just enjoy your bland grayish colors.

You have to keep in mind, these are just my impressions of the game after about 2 hours of playtime. This doesn't mean I hate the game, the water is decent looking, leveling system and collectibles are good, and I still can't wait to play the game and hope it does get better and start to impress me a little more. It had potential that just went unfulfilled. I'm not saying this cause I hate 2D type games like this, Super Metroid is one of my most favorite games to date. I could spend hours on end playing that thing. I guess I just went into this with way too much hype or something. I'll wrap this up by saying Shadow Complex is OK, just nothing more than that.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

I completely agree on the shooting. Considering a good portion of the game seems to have you firing into the screen, it seems to take a long time to lock on and when you move, it goes back to 2D meaning a lot of the heavy weapons guys in the distance become a real pain.

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gahzoo

I thought the same thing about the shooting, but it got better later in the game, this might be because: I got used to it (I don't think I really did), the accuracy boost, and the fact the enemies earlier in the game have more annoying cover, I died far more in the beginning than I did at the end.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I find the shooting to be fine, after I got used to it, it felt  pretty good, but not as good they made it seem to be. I've only been really frustrated at a couple points in the game, otherwise I'm having a great time with it. I've already ran through once, and then went through again just to leave Claire behind, which took like 30 minutes. Now going through again on hardcore. 

Sucks that you're not having as good a time with it. =/

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SUBL1ME

The graphics are hit or miss, people either appreciate UE3 or they don't. I personally do outside of the texture lag and I never quite understood why so many people complain about the dull gray art styles its a video game not a tie dye contest. As for the gameplay, not saying this for good or bad but it sounds like you're from a younger generation. The aiming and combat in SC is way way better than the 2D side-scrollers of yesteryear. Being able to manually aim and shoot objects on different planes and angles is far better than the old Metroids where you could only shoot whats directly in front of you, directly above you, and whatever is at a 45 degree angle.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

The finesse of the shooting is annoying, it always takes me ages to line up a head shot. I'll have the laser on the guys head but quickly lose it, etc. I guess that's me just being shit though, right? 

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Has Shadow Complex made anyone else want to play Symphony of the Night?
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik
    @FiestaUnicorn said:

" Has Shadow Complex made anyone else want to play Symphony of the Night? "

You shouldn't have to play Shadow Complex to want to play Symphony of the Night... ;)
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    Me! (and Metroid... I just like finding powerups.)

So far I've had no trouble at all with the shooting. It felt weird during the opening sequence but once I got the pistol and fought a few guys at a time it felt great. And, also, for a $15 arcade game I think it looks fine. The environments look vibrant enough outside and sterile enough inside.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE

It is overrated. I almost regret buying it because of all the issues it has. It still has it's moments though.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE
    @SUBL1ME: Doesn't make it good by today's standard :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I agree with this blog. $15 down the drain.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SUBL1ME said:

"The graphics are hit or miss, people either appreciate UE3 or they don't.

This is a ludicrous as misinformed statement. What the game looks like has nothing to do with UE3 engine. Correlation does not equal causation, just because the 'Gears' look is 'cool' these days does not mean anything put into the UE3 engine instantly looks like Gears, it's down to the artists how the game looks, after all the engine can only take models and textures that have already been made, the style of which has already been decided upon, the engine doesn't magically generate them in accordance with a particular style.

If you want proof waltz on over to ModDB and take a look at some of the different things people can do with the UE3 engine, including replicating almost flawlessly, the Team Fortress 2 shaded look. I'll also have you know that Borderlands, DC Universe Online, Hail to the Chimp, Leisure Suit Larry, Lost Odyssey, Mirrors Edge and The Last Remnant all use the UE3 engine. I think you'll agree there is a large diversity of graphical styles represented there, and many more that could be used but do not require the advanced tech (and thus the cost of licensing) the UE3 engine. 

As for Shadow Complex itself, I get the feeling that Summer of Arcade has spoiled this game for me. A few more months of polishing the controls and interactions and the game would have felt perfect, as it is feels a little clunky in areas but I wouldn't call it $15 wasted by any means. Unfortunately I get the feeling they rushed it out for the summer of arcade promotion.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

I plan to find out for myself tomorrow when I finally pick the game up.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Peanut

The graphic complaints come off as more nitpicky than anything else. The shooting is something that certainly could have used some fine tuning, but it has never cost me a life, so I don't feel that it's as bad as you make it out to be.

rokkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rokkis
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    Yes. I actually didn't know about SOTN before someone mentioned it somewhere in a video about Shadow Complex. Been playing SOTN all day today, and so far I'm loving it.
    EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By EdIsCool
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @SUBL1ME said:

This is a ludicrous as misinformed statement. What the game looks like has nothing to do with UE3 engine. Correlation does not equal causation, just because the 'Gears' look is 'cool' these days does not mean anything put into the UE3 engine instantly looks like Gears, it's down to the artists how the game looks, after all the engine can only take models and textures that have already been made, the style of which has already been decided upon, the engine doesn't magically generate them in accordance with a particular style. If you want proof waltz on over to ModDB and take a look at some of the different things people can do with the UE3 engine, including replicating almost flawlessly, the Team Fortress 2 shaded look. I'll also have you know that Borderlands, DC Universe Online, Hail to the Chimp, Leisure Suit Larry, Lost Odyssey, Mirrors Edge and The Last Remnant all use the UE3 engine. I think you'll agree there is a largTree diversity of graphical styles represented there, and many more that could be used but do not require the advanced tech (and thus the cost of licensing) the UE3 engine.  As for Shadow Complex itself, I get the feeling that Summer of Arcade has spoiled this game for me. A few more months of polishing the controls and interactions and the game would have felt perfect, as it is feels a little clunky in areas but I wouldn't call it $15 wasted by any means. Unfortunately I get the feeling they rushed it out for the summer of arcade promotion. "
    True but the way lighting effects etc differ from engine to engine amongst other things, which will have an effect,obviously the devs can tweak these which goes along with your original point,
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I like it enough to continue playing it but I must agree that it has a lot of problems. I am only about 2 hours in as well, but the shooting is really finicky and imprecise. Headshots either come by luck or holding the analog still perfectly still. Many times I shoot them in the head but they do a crouch move when I hit them that nullifies the whole headshot in the first place. Shooting grenades is also a bit annoying; I can't get them to go along a predictable path because the laser sight does not relate to the grenade movement. Still, I am enjoying the game no matter these complaints; it just is not the "GOTY" type of game I have been hearing about.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK
    @The_A_Drain: I believe Fat Princess also uses UE3, and it looks quite a bit different. And if I'm mistaken on that, I know Fairytale Fights uses it. 
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hitchenson

I personally love the game, just finished up my S-Rank on it and I still want to play it some more. 

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Coltonio7

No Caption Provided
    babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By babylonian
    @TheGamerGeek said:
    It's fine and dandy when you're shooting and the camera is close to you but whether already frustrating camera feels the need to show the entire are you are in, you're forced to squint your eyes just to see if you're shooting the person and not the wall.
    Sounds like someone's playing on an SDTV. Play Shadow Complex on an average-sized HDTV and this "problem" vanishes.

That's a ChAIR game for you, though. Unless you heavily tweaked the zoom level in the options, Undertow was unplayable on even the biggest SDTVs.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    @Babylonian: You are very right. I am playing on a 32 inch SDTV. I figured that might be the problem but it's still inexcusable.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Xandurson

I really enjoyed the trial version I downloaded but the shooting will take a bit to get used to. By the end of the demo let's just say I started getting used to it and I wanted more.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Discorsi

I agree that the game is pretty overrated.  It really lacks the soul and personality of other metroidvania games.  The backgrounds aren't that interesting and neither are the enemies.  The bosses are a joke and the enemy design is just so blahh ...... generic.  It also feels a lot more linear then most metroidvania games in a bad way.  I personally think that all of the handeheld castlevania games are much better then Shadow Complex.  Oh yea the combat is pretty crap too.  The foam gun is hardly ever used to solve environmental puzzles.  In fact you only really need it once or twice outside of using it to open the purple doors.  Later on you can just use the hookshot.   The only saving grace of the games is that it is addictive.

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SUBL1ME
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @SUBL1ME said:

This is a ludicrous as misinformed statement. What the game looks like has nothing to do with UE3 engine. Correlation does not equal causation, just because the 'Gears' look is 'cool' these days does not mean anything put into the UE3 engine instantly looks like Gears, it's down to the artists how the game looks, after all the engine can only take models and textures that have already been made, the style of which has already been decided upon, the engine doesn't magically generate them in accordance with a particular style. If you want proof waltz on over to ModDB and take a look at some of the different things people can do with the UE3 engine, including replicating almost flawlessly, the Team Fortress 2 shaded look. I'll also have you know that Borderlands, DC Universe Online, Hail to the Chimp, Leisure Suit Larry, Lost Odyssey, Mirrors Edge and The Last Remnant all use the UE3 engine. I think you'll agree there is a large diversity of graphical styles represented there, and many more that could be used but do not require the advanced tech (and thus the cost of licensing) the UE3 engine.  As for Shadow Complex itself, I get the feeling that Summer of Arcade has spoiled this game for me. A few more months of polishing the controls and interactions and the game would have felt perfect, as it is feels a little clunky in areas but I wouldn't call it $15 wasted by any means. Unfortunately I get the feeling they rushed it out for the summer of arcade promotion. "
    Misinformed? Yes I understand games like Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey use UE3. In particular I was referencing the Gears/UT3 style used in Shadow Complex because even though probably a dozen or so titles use the engine only one game is associated with it when comparisons are made. Maybe I should have said that before you took my comment out of context. But yes several games UE3 for different artistic styles but since the main argument in these thread was the Gears one I felt it was unneeded. 

But in short please don't call out something as ludicrous or misinformed or even to add a word along the lines you didn't mention, ignorant without applying context. The discussion centered around the Gears of War criticism of the engine. Take it or leave it my comment focused on that point. But UE3 even outside of Gears takes its fair share of criticism for other reasons than Gears being dull and blandly colored so the people appreciate it or don't still stands. Even you can't ignore that some people do not like the Unreal Engine at all regardless of its use.

As for SC its a fun piece of nostalgia, and a damn fun game for $15. There reaches a certain point when rushing it for a deadline or not the game is probably as tight as its would have gotten for the asking price. If Chair was making a full fledged $60 title more effort would probably have been made to make it a little less rough around the edges but a quarter of the price for a game that could offer as much playtime as Shadow Complex can to the right player makes it a sweet deal regardless of nitpicking the details.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SUBL1ME: 

If you're gonna critisize an art style, do that, not the engine as it has very little bearing on how the final game looks artistically.

I called out what you said as misinformed and ludicrous, and I stand by that, trying to rectify the situation by lashing out more bullshit about 'taking it or leaving it' and "but but but... gears!!!" is just silly. If you're gonna compare it to Gears, then do that, don't paint the engine with the same brush, it's like painting Americans with a giant brush simply because a few of them are ignorant...

Besides, unless you've worked with it, what the fuck right do people who simply play the games have to comment on anything other than texture pop and lighting effects, as it's about the only thing you people ever see anyway, everything else varies from game to game and is solely down to the artists at work. The fact anyone wants to pin any complaints solely on the engine really is misinformed and ludicrous, it's not my fault they are misinformed, i'm simply letting them know.  

I  have a good few issues with UE3, i'm not here to lick it's balls, however hating on it simply because it's UE3? Get out. Take your issue with whatever art style it is you have issue with. By making such comments people like you are no better than the soccar mums who talk shit about video games in general without having the slightest clue about the specifics.
    SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SUBL1ME
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @SUBL1ME:  If you're gonna critisize an art style, do that, not the engine as it has very little bearing on how the final game looks artistically. I called out what you said as misinformed and ludicrous, and I stand by that, trying to rectify the situation by lashing out more bullshit about 'taking it or leaving it' and "but but but... gears!!!" is just silly. If you're gonna compare it to Gears, then do that, don't paint the engine with the same brush, it's like painting Americans with a giant brush simply because a few of them are ignorant... Besides, unless you've worked with it, what the fuck right do people who simply play the games have to comment on anything other than texture pop and lighting effects, as it's about the only thing you people ever see anyway, everything else varies from game to game and is solely down to the artists at work. The fact anyone wants to pin any complaints solely on the engine really is misinformed and ludicrous, it's not my fault they are misinformed, i'm simply letting them know.   I  have a good few issues with UE3, i'm not here to lick it's balls, however hating on it simply because it's UE3? Get out. Take your issue with whatever art style it is you have issue with. By making such comments people like you are no better than the soccar mums who talk shit about video games in general without having the slightest clue about the specifics. "
    You really seem like kind of a dick, like really why are you so uppity about all this shit? I said one thing about UE3 and its like I raped your mom for Christ's sake. Dude get over yourself. Whenever someone critiques a game's graphics people like you always jump in and say if you're not a graphic designer or whatever you have no right to say anything about it, well neither are you so what gives you the right to talk shit and not me?

I said nothing that wasn't true, all I said is its basically the same graphics style as Gears and you either like Gears or you don't, you've said nothing outside of expressing some sort of weird obsessive hate for me. So in short, pull the stick out of your ass and grow up. Learn to treat other peoples opinions as that, opinions.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok
    @SUBL1ME: I hate Gears's style, and don't mind Shadow Complex's. I don't find them to be very similar.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By WickedCestus

The reason people look over the problems in shadow Complex is it sucks you in and makes you want to collect everything. When people really like the game, they look over all the problems.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Listen to Drain. The engine really isn't responsible for any bland art style as he says. Don't like the art? Fine, but blame the artists.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I agree, I hate the shooting parts of the game, the aiming is kinda werid.
    I love bashing people with the 'B' button and the platforming is fun :)

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 10MP

what is up with these games where you can actually die?!?! I mean wow, who is the asshole who thought that was a good idea?!?! it's too bad this $15 game has only the best graphics in a DL 2d game. i say we all boycott games that do not have crysis quality graphic!?!? shadow complex is a fantastic download only game. i don't know how anyone can complain about the aiming system, saying it's too hard when it practically auto aims for you. the only complaints i have about the game were some minor clipping and the fact that it's too easy to find everything if you're not playing on insane.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SUBL1ME said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:
    " @SUBL1ME:  If you're gonna critisize an art style, do that, not the engine as it has very little bearing on how the final game looks artistically. I called out what you said as misinformed and ludicrous, and I stand by that, trying to rectify the situation by lashing out more bullshit about 'taking it or leaving it' and "but but but... gears!!!" is just silly. If you're gonna compare it to Gears, then do that, don't paint the engine with the same brush, it's like painting Americans with a giant brush simply because a few of them are ignorant... Besides, unless you've worked with it, what the fuck right do people who simply play the games have to comment on anything other than texture pop and lighting effects, as it's about the only thing you people ever see anyway, everything else varies from game to game and is solely down to the artists at work. The fact anyone wants to pin any complaints solely on the engine really is misinformed and ludicrous, it's not my fault they are misinformed, i'm simply letting them know.   I  have a good few issues with UE3, i'm not here to lick it's balls, however hating on it simply because it's UE3? Get out. Take your issue with whatever art style it is you have issue with. By making such comments people like you are no better than the soccar mums who talk shit about video games in general without having the slightest clue about the specifics. "
    You really seem like kind of a dick, like really why are you so uppity about all this shit? I said one thing about UE3 and its like I raped your mom for Christ's sake. Dude get over yourself. Whenever someone critiques a game's graphics people like you always jump in and say if you're not a graphic designer or whatever you have no right to say anything about it, well neither are you so what gives you the right to talk shit and not me?  I said nothing that wasn't true, all I said is its basically the same graphics style as Gears and you either like Gears or you don't, you've said nothing outside of expressing some sort of weird obsessive hate for me. So in short, pull the stick out of your ass and grow up. Learn to treat other peoples opinions as that, opinions. "

Whatever dude, you're cimpletely uninformed and I said nothing of the like. I simply said that the game engine does not effect the graphical style, and that if you want to critisize the style, you should do that instead of ragging on the engine, they are completely unrelated. It's like saying "That car's rubbish because I don't like blue" two completely unrelated things. 

I may be a dick, but you're one of the hooting masses with less than half a brain cell who make up the general public, and given i've spent a large amount of time with various game engines and have a detailed knowledge of the game design process, i'd say yeah, that gives me considerably more right to comment than you. 

You've taken what I said and overlayed what you wanted to read, learn to read and comprehend properly before you make dumbass comments again, seriously, grow the fuck up a little bit you're only making yourself look like even more of an idiot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.