Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Am I insane for wanting a PSP just for this game?

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InTheEnd

Well, so I really like Persona 3, I mean I REALLY REALLY liked it. Yes, I am willing to go through it all for a third time just to get a little more info on a few characters. However, I probably would never use the PSP for anything else since I'm not very interested in it's library. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

You know. There's LOTS of people who asked themselves the same thing and they still bought a PSP for this. But surely there has to be at least another game you want on the PSP? OR good games you've just never played?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

I'm sure you'll find a few other games for the PSP that you'd enjoy. I'll admit, P3P is one of the top ones in my mind, but there's many others that are great like Half-Minute Hero, Patapon 2 and Monster Hunter just to name a few.

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By InTheEnd
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " You know. There's LOTS of people who asked themselves the same thing and they still bought a PSP for this. But surely there has to be at least another game you want on the PSP? OR good games you've just never played? "
    Maybe the Persona 1 remake...
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust
    @InTheEnd:  I'm in the same boat, but the way I figure it is, I can wait until the PSP2 is released and then, like a GBA today, pick one up for $30.  I don't need to own everything right now...just before I die.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @InTheEnd: Oh. Well I dunno about you but I played that one before and I'll be honest, they haven't changed the combat in that game and that's bad 'cause that combat is pretty awful. But like the other guys said, there's great games on it already, maybe not as vast a library as the DS but with games like Half-Minute Hero 2, God of War: Ghosts of Sparta and an updated Tactics: Ogre. Things are beginning to look up for the PSP. If I were you, I'll just pick up a second-hand PSP (anyone with a UMD reader), particularly a PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 but not the Go!
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#7  Edited By Jazz

I 'm enjoying it. 
    So no...but I've had my psp for years.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By donutfever

The PSP has these weird jumps of announcements, one of them is just now, with GOW, Patapon 3, etc. Unless you it'll stop you from getting a 3DS, I'd recommend it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

Considering you've already played the game, I'd say probably not. 

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Harknett

I actually picked up a PSP solely for P3P and am having a ton of fun with other games like Half-Minute Hero, Patapon, and the FFIX port.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " You know. There's LOTS of people who asked themselves the same thing and they still bought a PSP for this. But surely there has to be at least another game you want on the PSP? OR good games you've just never played? "
    Yeah.  You will probably buy other games.  There are like 5 on PSN this week for like half price that are great.  Anyways, I am loving this game, currently working my way through right now.  But like Vinny said, the cutscenes/talking scenes are not as great as I would have liked just because now they are static instead of having a background scene going on.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supermarius
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @InTheEnd: Oh. Well I dunno about you but I played that one before and I'll be honest, they haven't changed the combat in that game and that's bad 'cause that combat is pretty awful. But like the other guys said, there's great games on it already, maybe not as vast a library as the DS but with games like Half-Minute Hero 2, God of War: Ghosts of Sparta and an updated Tactics: Ogre. Things are beginning to look up for the PSP. If I were you, I'll just pick up a second-hand PSP (anyone with a UMD reader), particularly a PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 but not the Go! "
    Bad combat? Persona 3/Persona 4 are the shining example of how to make pure turn based combat as exciting challenging and fast paced as possible without any gimmicks, imo.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Supermarius: I was talking about Persona 1. The combat is really iffy in that. Still is after they brought it to the PSP. As for the combat in P3 and P4, I thought they were great.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Chris2KLee

Can you borrow from someone? I'm sure there must be a friend or family member you know that has a PSP lying around. I personally like the PSP a lot, but I agree the library lacks the sort of depth the DS has. If you can find one used for about $100 I'd say it might be worth it.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Synthballs

That seems like a stupid idea to me. Unless you can think of other games that you want to play on it. especially if you've played it before.

kratosauron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By kratosauron0

Yes, you are insane.  Let's make it to 5.
    You also need to get the original Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (i.e. Peraona 1), along with Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Knights in the Nightmare (for PSP, coming soon) and that Metal Gear game (maybe). 
    Unless, of course, you're looking for gameplay in the Persona 3 vein, in which... I can't think of any at this moment.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you are, then I guess we both are.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By demonbear

I bought a used psp from a friend for this very game. So yeah, you're insane. But its ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ummm fes is better

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By juice8367

I just bought one to play this....so yeah, me & you brother

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ashby
    @InTheEnd said:
    " Well, so I really like Persona 3, I mean I REALLY REALLY liked it. Yes, I am willing to go through it all for a third time just to get a little more info on a few characters. However, I probably would never use the PSP for anything else since I'm not very interested in it's library.  "
    I did buy a PSP for this game, and I don't regret it in the slightest. It is so different and they added so much. I've also bought the original and FES, so yeah, I've spent over $300 now just for Persona 3's different iterations. It's also much faster - I'm almost through October and only about 35 hours in. I really couldn't recommend it enough with all the updated s-links. If you've got the money, do it!! 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360

no.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By apoptosis61

yup

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.