Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

How do you think the anime will stack up?

• 77 results
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Gabriel
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " Who is Charlie going to pick for his girlfriend in the series? I say Chie.   "
    That old lady by the lake who may or may not be death, I never social linked with her. 
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Dingofighter

They should just make the same decisions that Jeff and Vinny made on the ER, and also name the main character Charlie Tunoku...

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Sayishere

will the main character speak? i doubt he will, but how would that work? 

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mutha3
    @Sayishere said:
    " will the main character speak? i doubt he will, but how would that work?  "
    Of course he will. You've got to be kidding me.

He's named Yu Narukami, btw.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Venatio

I really really hope that they dub it to english with the original english voice cast, otherwise It'll be a real bummer
    I'm actually pretty interested in this, I thought about P4 as an anime before and I love the idea

So is this an anime movie or tv show?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By toowalrus
    @mutha3 said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " I'll expect it to be funny because of how Japanese it is-
    Whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean. "
    Did that statement really confuse you? As someone who grew up in New Zealand, and the States, I think that a lot of the events of Persona 4 were funny, because of how large of a part Japanese culture played. Kanji's nosebleed, the obsession with beef bowls and watermelon, all of that Bad Bad Bath-house stuff- none of that would have been in there if the game had been made in Sweeden, and a lot of it made me chuckle. Does that make sence?
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By penguindust
    @JJOR64 said:

" Anime is for jerks. "

You...you're very good, you. ;-)

I think it will be okay, but if anyone is expecting something monumental then they're going to be disappointed.  I mostly know the production company, AIC A.S.T.A. for their work in harem and romantic comedies be they action or straight romance (Sora no Otoshimono, Godannar & Tokimeki Memorial Only Love), so I have confidence that the romance side of the show will be okay.   The director, Seiji Kishi did the rom-com, My Bride is a Mermaid and the 1st episode of Angel Beats.  Therefore, I think the humor in the series might be rather off-the-wall.  I'm down with that since My Bride is a Mermaid was very funny if also quite insane.  Taking the animation company's past works and the director, chances are there will be some fan service in the series, too.  That will probably piss off a lot of GB fans since their fan service tolerance level is slightly below none-what-so-ever. 

Personally, I hope it does do well because I'd like to see a Persona 3 anime done, too.  Who knows, maybe Atlus will do a series that coincides with the release of P5. 
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mutha3
    @TooWalrus said:

" Did that statement really confuse you? As someone who grew up in New Zealand, and the States, I think that a lot of the events of Persona 4 were funny, because of how large of a part Japanese culture played. Kanji's nosebleed, the obsession with beef bowls and watermelon, all of that Bad Bad Bath-house stuff-

The only thing that has to with japanese culture from what you just mentioned is Kanji's nosebleed. The rest is Persona 4 being Persona 4.

You're using the term "japanese" as a shorthand for "weird"....which is really dumb and vaguely xenophobic, no matter how many forum dwellers do it.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By toowalrus
    @mutha3 said:
    " @TooWalrus said:

" Did that statement really confuse you? As someone who grew up in New Zealand, and the States, I think that a lot of the events of Persona 4 were funny, because of how large of a part Japanese culture played. Kanji's nosebleed, the obsession with beef bowls and watermelon, all of that Bad Bad Bath-house stuff-

The only thing that has to with japanese culture from what you just mentioned is Kanji's nosebleed. The rest is Persona 4 being Persona 4.You're using the term "japanese" as a shorthand for "weird"....which is really dumb and vaguely xenophobic, no matter how many forum dwellers do it. "
    Would you have been happier if I had said "foreign" or "Asian"? I've never seen such importance placed around Beef Bowls or Watermelon in any of the places I grew up (well, maybe a little in the Philippines), and there isn't a lot of public bathing in the States or New Zealand, either. It seems like your nit-picking, and looking for a reason to be upset. It seems like you were just looking for someone to call out on their ignorance of Japanese culture. In that case, I apologize.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mutha3
    @TooWalrus said:

" It seems like your nit-picking, and looking for a reason to be upset. It seems like you were just looking for someone to call out on their ignorance of Japanese culture. In that case, I apologize. "

I don't know anything about Japan outside of videogames.

Anyway, you're shifting the goal posts like a mad man now, so whatever. Sure, you think the fact that a bathhouse has been shown as a location is totally hilarious and  weird.  That is totally what your first post was implying.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#61  Edited By LordAndrew

Beef bowls and watermelons aren't that important, they're just something that people eat. I guess square watermelons are pretty cool, but they're not in the game.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#62  Edited By metalsnakezero
    @PenguinDust:  I would assume they wouldn't go over-the-top with the fan-service and would feel out of place if they did it in unnecessary places (I could see them doing it when the girls were wearing swim suits).
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Commisar123
    @Lucien_Lachance said:
    @beej said:
    " Ok Giant Bomb. We have to coordinate like never before. We have to do what it takes to get them to dub Charlie Tunoku as his name in the english version.  "

The only answer is to do a fandub where we use the name Charlie Tunoku, and make it Endurance Run-specific, e.g. making references to Charlie's drug stash under his bed, making some of Vinny/Jeff's riffs into his internal monologue, etc. Who's game? "
    reporting for duty :)
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've no idea since the only comparison I can think of is Trinity Soul, the other Persona anime. While it was well made in a lot of respects it didn't use the Persona licensing well. That said, that was a different studio and director so it could be well different then this. I'm a massive fan of Persona 4 but for now I'm just gonna wait and see how it pans out.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By Belonpopo
    @Popogeejo: 

dropping the tangential ones like the nurse

Why would they do such a thing?
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Nux

I hope it stays true to the game but doesn't try to be the game.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By crusader8463

Is this going to be a full on TV series, mini-series or a movie? 

So does this mean Ryan will have to do this for his TANG show when that comes back? If they do decide to do it, they should let Jeff and Vinny do that episode, or at least have them do it as well as Ryan.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Gaff
    @Belonpopo First question: I personally give it a very slim chance of getting an English dub. Persona is still a very niche title and the anime wouldn't be extra exposure from an almost 4 year old game on a last-gen system. If it was linked to an HD remake of the game it might have a chance, but I'd rather see Atlus' resources go into a new HD entry into the series.

And as for the second question... Am I being completely cynical if I expect them to cut out the romantic Social Links entirely and include them as inevitable bonus content on the DVD / BluRay releases?
    bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By bbrcher

Surprised there isn't more information on this site (or AnimeVice) about this.  Only randomly looked at the most active forums and saw Persona back at the top.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#70  Edited By Pepsiman
    @crusader8463: Ryan more or less explicitly stated in one of the episodes that he would never touch anime adaptations of video games simply because they're too numerous. That's probably for the better anyway, since restricting it to live action at least allows for some consistent standards to be employed when making critiques.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mutha3
    @Gaff said:

" @Belonpopo First question: I personally give it a very slim chance of getting an English dub. Persona is still a very niche title and the anime wouldn't be extra exposure from an almost 4 year old game on a last-gen system.

Their servers crashed because interest was apparantly so damn high, the youtube videos of this also show absurdly high views. Significant western interest going by the youtube audience check thingy. Persona 4 also isn't THAT niche. Its one of the better selling JRPG and for the NA anime market....I think the audience of Persona overlaps with that quite a bit.

I think it has a decent shot of making it over.

If it was linked to an HD remake of the game it might have a chance,

A portable version will happen, dude. this is ATLUS we're talking about. To be honest, that might be the reason this exists in the first place.

but I'd rather see Atlus' resources go into a new HD entry into the series.

You and me both

And as for the second question... Am I being completely cynical if I expect them to cut out the romantic Social Links entirely and include them as inevitable bonus content on the DVD / BluRay releases? 

yes

Here's a slightly less cynical, yet far more realistic expectation: they'll sprinkle the s-link with a bit of harem elements and make YU hook up with one of the girls at the very end. it will be frustrating.

the shipping wars will be bloody
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gaff
    @mutha3 I don't doubt a portable version in the future. I just don't see an anime being an effective or profitable way to promote a portable game in a hemisphere that considers portable systems, let alone the PSP, dead.
    And while Atlus (US) isn't suffering -judging from comments by Aram Jabbari-, I don't know if distributing anime is something they should consider.
    Though Nippon Ichi is still relatively ok, an example of a relatively small company doing both. Then again...
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By Animasta
    @mutha3: and it won't be Chie. It'll be Yukiko or Rise, or possibly Naoto (although anyone who doesn't leave naoto for Kanji are dicks)
    MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#74  Edited By MrAristocrates
    @Laketown said:
    " @mutha3: and it won't be Chie. It'll be Yukiko or Rise, or possibly Naoto (although anyone who doesn't leave naoto for Kanji are dicks) "
    Fuck yeah. Let Kanji win for once.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#75  Edited By metalsnakezero
    @Pepsiman said:
    " @crusader8463: Ryan more or less explicitly stated in one of the episodes that he would never touch anime adaptations of video games simply because they're too numerous. That's probably for the better anyway, since restricting it to live action at least allows for some consistent standards to be employed when making critiques. "
    Yeah. Anime isn't a media that Ryan is in to and he can't really analyze something that he doesn't understand 100%. And he is doing a good thing to not to do it just to be fair for it. 
    Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By Bigheart711
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Anime is for jerks. "
    I Knooooooow, but Anime's a helluva drug! *chuckles*
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ashogo
    @PenguinDust said:
    "Taking the animation company's past works and the director, chances are there will be some fan service in the series, too.  That will probably piss off a lot of GB fans since their fan service tolerance level is slightly below none-what-so-ever."
    Christ, I really hope they don't get all fan service-y. The moment I see an "accidental" up-skirt of yukiko is the moment I stop watching.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ch3burashka

As long as they get all of the American voice actors back together, I'm in.

And as long as Charlie never says a goddamn word, and only grunts twice throughout the whole series, I'm in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.