Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

How likely is it that P5 will be announced at TGS?

• 96 results
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By landon

Persona 3 came out on August 14, 2007
    Persona 3 FES came out April 22, 2008
    Persona 4 came out December 8, 2008 

So, it took roughly 16 months between P3 and P4 and they still released a FES 8 months later.
    Its already been 9 months since P4 came out and since they already said there wont be any FES addition for that, maybe they will announce it and say it will be out sometime near March of 2010?

With the recent rumors of P5 sparking up, maybe they will announce it and say it will come out early next year.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I hope so

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Some quick research reveals both Persona 3 and Persona 4 were first announced in Japanese game magazines, 3 was from Famitsu, 4 might have been as well.

Adding that to the chances that Persona 5 is coming any time soon, I doubt we'll be hearing anything about Persona 5 during TGS.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Man i hope it gets announced.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

I hope so, but I don't think so.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By landon
    @Diamond: Crap, I thought I was on to something.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ryanwho

There was a wider release gap for Japan on those games I think. P3 and P4 seemed so close together because P3 wasn't localized all that fast.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @gakon5 said:
    " Maybe TGS is the time frame during which Atlus can reveal P5 in Famitsu.  Although, P3P pretty much came out of nowhere, so it seems more like a "when we're ready" thing. "
    Its also worth noting Atlus hasn't really dived into the next gen arena yet as far as first party development. I wouldn't be surprised if they just buy more time by announcing PSP versions of Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment than later P4. I mean, where is the Persona audience? 360? PS3?  Where do you put the sequel? Do you put it on the Wii for budgetary reasons and hope for the best?
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Well, If it comes out for the PS3 and not the PS2, it's not coming out as quick as that. Atlus wants to make sure they can get an engine on these more powerful systems running well and cost efficient. That may have happened by now. TGS would be the time they would announce it and the PS3 would be the console(or even PS3/360) to announce it for.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ryanwho: I would guess they would go for PS3 just because they've stuck with Sony platforms so far for Persona...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

Also P3 and P4 used similiar engines so if they had to make P5 for the PS3 they'll need more time to develop the game.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By m1k3

they might talk about persona 3 for the psp if anything

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet

Guys, they are obviously working on an Endurance Run boxset. I thought it would be so easy for you to understand.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By kuwabaratheman

Atlus last made an announcement at TGS in what, 2004? They're not typically even there, as I understand it.

I don't think we'll get an announcement that soon for P5. Keep in mind that Atlus typically announces a game 3-4 months before release. So when Persona 5 is announced, it will likely only be a few months away from completion.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By hakunin

Well, since ATLUS isn't at TGS I'm guessing "no"

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ChrisTaran

If P5 is for the PS2 still (or Wii), then you might hear about it soon.  If they are going next gen with a 360 of PS3 release, then don't expect it anytime soon.  Maybe this time next year we'll be hearing about it.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Otacon

P4 has brought about a lot more western popularity in the series, it sold much better than expected in US and European territories, an announcement of P5 at TGS would be high profile enough to not get lost amongst other things. I'm not expecting it but my fingers are crossed. 

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I'm hoping as much as anyone else, but I think it's likely that Persona will be the flagship series for Atlus to make the jump to current-gen consoles, most likely the PS3, considering their relationship with Sony at this point, although possibly the Wii if they aren't going to create a new engine. If that's the case, I doubt we'll see anything at TGS and even if we do, it'll be a long way out. 

But hey, we can always hope Persona 5 is on the PS2 and gets announced there.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By obscurefan

I really hope we hear more about it soon, but as for it being announced at the next TGS I'd say the odds are about fifty fifty.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ToxicFruit

That would be great but in a resent interview they said that the next Persona game would most likely not be on the Ps2, Then P3 portable happened 
    I don't know what to expect  fingers crossed for a teaser for p5

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

I really hope they say something, but given how much they've put out this year already, I think they'll hold off until next year.  Maybe after seeing the rise in popularity of the Persona series in the west, they'll show something at E3 2010.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a huge gap between P2: EP and P3 so I don't know.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @hakunin said:
    " Well, since ATLUS isn't at TGS I'm guessing "no" "
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Otacon

I'd put money on the fact that it's been in development for a bit now, didn't know that Atlus weren't showing at TGS but I think we can expect some announcement early next year perhaps.

produceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By produceman

i hope it does but thier also making stange journey for the DS and remaking persona 3 for the psp so it probally wont happen but i have my fingers crossed
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By jeff

My guess is that they're going heavy on these PSP remakes because it takes time to move development from one generation to the next. So I think it's a little too soon to announce Persona 5. Just a guess.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By bonbolapti

They have other games on their belt right now. 
    Persona isn't their only series.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By iamjohn
    @Landon said:

" Persona 3 came out on August 14, 2007 Persona 3 FES came out April 22, 2008 Persona 4 came out December 8, 2008   So, it took roughly 16 months between P3 and P4 and they still released a FES 8 months later."

ACTUALLY... 

Persona 3 came out on July 13, 2006; Fes, which because it is mostly an expansion would only have needed a tiny splinter team at most, came out on April 19, 2007; Persona 4 came out on July 10, 2008.  These are the Japanese release dates and let's be honest: Persona may have a ton of international appeal now, but it is a Japanese series for Japan first and foremost and when it comes out there is what really matters, especially since Atlus USA outsources all the grunt work for localization (i.e., they still do all the translation, etc., but instead of sending the reprogramming back to Japan to be done by the original developers, they outsource it to smaller teams who specialize in that).  So all your information is baseless and wrong. 

That said, I think it's incredibly possible that they could announce it this year.  But I don't think it's going to happen.  P4 is only a little more than a year old; Persona already came out this year; P3P's coming out in a month.  That's five Persona games in four years, three of which are remakes/rereleases of old games.  I think Atlus is smart enough to know that while it makes sense to capitalize on Persona while it's at its peak popularity, they're walking a thin line that they crossed with Trauma Center where they almost completely killed the franchise.  And it only makes sense - they have a ton more SMT spin-offs they can put resources into.  I think after P3P comes out, Persona's going to go dark for a while. 

My guess: P5 in 2012, two storylines a la P3P, running on PS3 albeit on a highly upgraded Persona 4 engine.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
    @iAmJohn: I'm not sure why you think Atlus almost killed Trauma Center.
    Figglesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Figglesworth

I kinda think the Persona series may do better as a handheld series.  I had a lot of trouble sticking with P4 because of the slow pacing and load times, just wishing I could multi-task  while playing.

I agree with most of the other folks, that they aren't going to make P5 for PS2.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nick69

I would be surprised and stoked if they do announce a persona 5...which won't happen.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @Figglesworth said:
    " I kinda think the Persona series may do better as a handheld series.  I had a lot of trouble sticking with P4 because of the slow pacing and load times, just wishing I could multi-task  while playing.  I agree with most of the other folks, that they aren't going to make P5 for PS2. "
    I disagree.  Given how much they're stripping down P3 to work as a handheld game, the next brand new Persona title would be better served as a console release.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dany
    @Jeff said:
    " My guess is that they're going heavy on these PSP remakes because it takes time to move development from one generation to the next. So I think it's a little too soon to announce Persona 5. Just a guess. "
    That does make sense. They are moving a 'generation' forward and the ps3 hasn't gotten the best track record for being easy or fast to develop games on.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iamjohn
    @Hailinel said:

" @iAmJohn: I'm not sure why you think Atlus almost killed Trauma Center. "

Because they put out three Trauma Center games (Second Opinion, UtK2 and New Blood) in the span of twelve months, and while Second Opinion was pretty neat, the other two weren't very good and none of them had any of the impact of the first game? 

Trauma Team looks sick, all things considered.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @iAmJohn: I'm not sure why you think Atlus almost killed Trauma Center. "

Because they put out three Trauma Center games (Second Opinion, UtK2 and New Blood) in the span of twelve months, and while Second Opinion was pretty neat, the other two weren't very good and none of them had any of the impact of the first game?  Trauma Team looks sick, all things considered. "
    I didn't play New Blood, but I do have UtK2 and I like it well enough.  As far as I know, the series has sold fairly well for Atlus, too, so I still don't really see where this idea that they're killing the series is coming from.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamjohn
    @Hailinel said:
    "I didn't play New Blood, but I do have UtK2 and I like it well enough.  As far as I know, the series has sold fairly well for Atlus, too, so I still don't really see where this idea that they're killing the series is coming from. "
    I'll be honest in saying that a lot of it comes from my being underwhelmed with everything after Second Opinion (PROTIP: unless you play the game in co-op, New Blood is impossible, even on easy) coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem like any of the games sold as well as the first one did.  I remember UtK being really hard to find for a while until, kind of like with Phoenix Wright, the positive buzz and word-of-mouth gave the game a boost and another print run, which Atlus games rarely get.  The other ones, UtK2 especially, didn't seem to have the same impact from what I saw; in fact, it seemed like UtK2 dropped in price really quickly.  I can understand you disagreeing with me since it's not like I have any proof to back this up aside from my personal feelings on the games coupled with anecdotal evidence, but it just seems to me that they had a great idea, they ran it into the ground and most everyone picked up on that. 

Which is why Trauma Team looks awesome, because it seems like they took a bit to reevaluate what a Trauma Center game can and should be, and it looks really unique and cool.  I'm really excited for it; probably the most excited I've been for any game in the series since the first one!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @iAmJohn: Yeah, Trauma Team looks like a nice twist. :)  I did hear that they're not including the Healing Touch, though, which I find to be a shame.  That fantastic element was part of the reason I was attracted to the series in the first place.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iamjohn
    @Hailinel: that's another think I think is for the best.  What made Healing Touch so awesome was the novelty of DUDE, THIS DOCTOR CAN TOTALLY GO INTO BULLET TIME!!!  It really started to lose its appeal when it started seeming like pretty much every doctor in this universe could do it. :P
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel
    @iAmJohn: True, it got a little carried away, but still, I think I'll miss it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iamjohn
    @Hailinel said:
    " @iAmJohn: True, it got a little carried away, but still, I think I'll miss it. "
    Yeah, me too.  After all, it IS bullet time. :(
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By AgentJ

I doubt it. %20 chance

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By landon
    @iAmJohn:  I didn't think to look for the Japanese release dates. I assumed they came out everywhere simultaneously. And with all the new information everybody else has given, you've all killed any hope I had left. But I don't buy P5 being a 2012 release. I think that's way too long, even if they are putting it on a new system.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iamjohn
    @Landon said:
    " @iAmJohn:  I didn't think to look for the Japanese release dates. I assumed they came out everywhere simultaneously. And with all the new information everybody else has given, you've all killed any hope I had left. But I don't buy P5 being a 2012 release. I think that's way too long, even if they are putting it on a new system. "
    Why?  There was a six year gap between Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Persona 3.  2012 would only be a four year gap between Persona 4 and Persona 5, and that's ignoring all the remakes of other Personas.
    spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46  Edited By spiceninja

Don't get your hopes up chief.

Woodtopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Woodtopian
    @bonbolapti said:
    "

They have other games on their belt right now. 
    Persona isn't their only series.

"
    This is true. I don't know how sales figures compare, but I'd say we're more due for another main Shin Megami Tensei game before Persona. But assuming they keep the same kind of gameplay, if they complete the art assets for a bunch of demons, the development cycle for other Megami Tensei games like Persona or Devil Summoner would be a lot quicker.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Fairly unlikely, as they've got to get an all new engine and all new art stuffs. It's more likely that they're going to announce a new main SMT game, which'll be awesome.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iamjohn
    @PlasmaBeam44 said:
    " Don't get your hopes up chief. "
    Your avatar fills me with happiness... and thoughts of that big bee by the dumpster out back.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iamjohn
    @AnimZero said:
    " Fairly unlikely, as they've got to get an all new engine and all new art stuffs. It's more likely that they're going to announce a new main SMT game, which'll be awesome. "
    Uh... they already did.  It's called Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.  They hope you enjoy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.