Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 The Animation - Thread

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By MikkaQ

Hmm watched it yesterday. I don't know what to think, it could have potential. It seems to stick a little TOO closely to the game script and I fear that the fight scenes will devolve into tacky nonsense like 90% of this type of anime. I really did enjoy the banter between the investigation team, that's about as well done as the game, so that's fine. Also Teddie's Japanese voice... owch. What's with japan and having characters who have a catchphrase at the end of every sentence anyway? This guys can't stop saying "Kuma" which seems to be his Japanese name too.

My final concern, which seems to apply so far, is the main character. They gave him as much personality as the video game, which is to say almost none at all. Yeah he has sentences, and they tend to be reactionary to the world around him, but jesus christ, he's like a grey haired soulless zombie in this anime. Less obvious in a game where you're used to that sort of thing.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Cloudenvy

@XII_Sniper: This may sound kind of weird, but the stat screen they show before and after commercials also has expression on it, which may indicate that his personality may evolve as the show goes on.

That's just my speculation though. :3

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#153  Edited By Hector

I'm not feeling the same charm the game has from the Anime. I'll give it a shot though they've only aired one episode so far.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By MikkaQ

@Cloudenvy said:

@XII_Sniper: This may sound kind of weird, but the stat screen they show before and after commercials also has expression on it, which may indicate that his personality may evolve as the show goes on.

I hope so, I can't possibly see them continuing like that. Also he better date Chie or this anime is automatic nonsense.

My fear is that it's just gonna be a giant fanservice thing, I mean the music's the same, the dialogue basically the same, the title cards and commercial break cards are like in-game menus. I dunno it feels like one big "Look! It's Persona 4, look how Persona 4 everything is. We think this game is cool too!". Reading further up this thread... well things aren't looking up.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Cloudenvy

@XII_Sniper said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I hope so, I can't possibly see them continuing like that. Also he better date Chie or this anime is automatic nonsense.

My fear is that it's just gonna be a giant fanservice thing, I mean the music's the same, the dialogue basically the same, the title cards and commercial break cards are like in-game menus. I dunno it feels like one big "Look! It's Persona 4, look how Persona 4 everything is. We think this game is cool too!". Reading further up this thread... well things aren't looking up.

Some might say that's kind of the point though, this might be intended to be a giant fanservice project to please existing fans rather than introduce the story to a new audience.

It might even be an advertising stunt to gather more attention for Persona 4 The Golden, I am fully expecting the new character in The Golden to show up in this anime at some point. :3

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @XII_Sniper said: 

My fear is that it's just gonna be a giant fanservice thing, I mean the music's the same, the dialogue basically the same, the title cards and commercial break cards are like in-game menus. I dunno it feels like one big "Look! It's Persona 4, look how Persona 4 everything is. We think this game is cool too!".

That's the point. It isn't called "Persona 4: The Animation" for nothing.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By MikkaQ

@Cloudenvy: I suppose that IS the point, but I guess I'm one of a few people who like the little differences in adaptations. That's what makes them fun, seeing what they change.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @XII_Sniper said: 

My fear is that it's just gonna be a giant fanservice thing, I mean the music's the same, the dialogue basically the same, the title cards and commercial break cards are like in-game menus. I dunno it feels like one big "Look! It's Persona 4, look how Persona 4 everything is. We think this game is cool too!".

That's the point. It isn't called "Persona 4: The Animation" for nothing.
    Err....weren't you saying the same thing, like, a page ago :p
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @XII_Sniper said:

@Cloudenvy: I suppose that IS the point, but I guess I'm one of a few people who like the little differences in adaptations. That's what makes them fun, seeing what they change.

I doubt you're in the minority when you want more from a Persona 4 anime than just what was in the game. Still, that's what they're doing with it. 

@mutha3 said: 
    Err....weren't you saying the same thing, like, a page ago :p
    Huh? What do you mean?
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Cloudenvy

@XII_Sniper said:

In all fairness, they did change how Yu got his Persona. ;3

Though I'm not expecting huge changes in the story, haha.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#161  Edited By Hector

@asian_pride said:

I'm in love with Chie all over again.

Same here!

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#162  Edited By myke_tuna

Is everyone in love with Chie? Was I the only soul attracted to Yukiko? She's the best.

Anyway, the show seems cool. I'm gonna catch it on Hulu whenever I'm not being swamped by school work.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#163  Edited By Valkyr

Chie keeps being the tsundere girl we all love and now is cuter in anime form, I think it was a pretty good episode and I hope it will make Japanese gamers love the Persona series a bit more instead of just attaching to the Dragon Quest nonsense which has crappy gameplay

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@Cloudenvy said:

Guys, I think we have a potential problem here.

Persona 4 The Animation production details:

-Animators aren't getting paid.

-The Animation Directors are bullying the key animators.

-Episode 2 isn't even worth watching, says Jun Arai. He says that he gave up and told them to remove his name from the credit.

-Episode 3 will be even worse. More and more animators are giving up and leaving the project, he said.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-4457.html

EDIT: Already posted in here, well fuck.

...We had a good run people!

That's not a good sign, I'll wait to see the next episode before making any sweeping judgments though.

AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By AxleStukov

So episode 2 got leaked a day early it seems. The twitter post about the episode not even being worth watching? It's full of shit. Also Yu's stats are confirmed to be raising each episode, his stat boost from Episode 1 was + 1 to courage. So to tide you guys over till it's legally available, have the opening.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By mutha3
    @AxleStukov: That OP is fucking awesome.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By thehexeditor

@AxleStukov: Came into this thread to post pretty much what you just did. Fucking bullshit twitter post coming from a bitter, angry laid off animator I bet. I thoroughly enjoyed the second episode and look forward to discussing it with everyone tomorrow.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#168  Edited By metalsnakezero

@AxleStukov: I'll wait till the episode is release to see how it holds up. Also that OP!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By mutha3

Checked it out, seemed like a fine opportunity to practice mah frence.
     -We were right about the Brotagonist! His courage stat was raised by one in the eyecatch thing and he was way more tolerable here then in ep.1(bonus point for knocking Yosuke on his ass!)
    -The anime seems like its loosely following the manga. Its not boring as hell like the manga, though!
    -Uh....yosuke is kind of a creep(keeps a picture of Saki on his phone) and awkward, but that's why I love my brosuke!
    -The disparity in quality between animation on the characters and on the Personas is astounding.  The fight scenes look really great.
    -.....That being said, the episode looked fine. Honestly, its probably better even than EP 1. Seems like it was just sour grapes on the part of the animator...of course, that being said, if he was right on the part where animators were getting bullied and payment was being handed out, I don't blame his anger.

I enjoyed this EP a lot. Still need to let it stew for a bit before I can think a little more critically about it, though.

And here's the ED!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZq1PlEuBM

Don't like it much. They really cheaped out on it.A buncha spinny cards and the song sucks.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By mutha3
    @thehexeditor said:

@AxleStukov: Came into this thread to post pretty much what you just did. Fucking bullshit twitter post coming from a bitter, angry laid off animator I bet. I thoroughly enjoyed the second episode and look forward to discussing it with everyone tomorrow.

Well.....I mean, he was lying about the quality, but if what he said was true, then that stuff just isn't right. 

Jun Arai has delivered good work before, so I highly doubt he was laid off. I just hope he quite because he was being a prissy bitch and couldn't get along with the others, rather than the picture he painted of AIC Asta.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#172  Edited By Hailinel

@thehexeditor said:

Yeah, I didn't really believe it, either. They've been working on the show for how long, and reports mysteriously come out right after the premiere that the quality of the second and third episodes would take a nosedive because of drama happening now?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By thehexeditor
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By metalsnakezero

@thehexeditor: I wouldn't conceded her to be Moe but she'll have a voice for one,Yuuki Aoi (CV:悠木碧).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By thehexeditor

@FluxWaveZ: I don't know, did Chie hug Yosuke after he and Charlie came out of the TV in the game or manga? Because...

AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By AxleStukov

Hm, I bet Aika will be an anime only social link that replaces like Young Mother or something (because I don't see them having Yu go to daycare in the anime ever), or it's a tie-in with P4 Golden where she's some sort of side-quest related character.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#178  Edited By dtat

I watched the first episode, and I just can't watch it with the japanese voices. I spent so much time with the P4 cast in english that they just seem like total strangers in japanese. I'll wait for a dub.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Soren

@mutha3 said:

Don't like it much. They really cheaped out on it. A buncha spinny cards and the song sucks.

Yeah, it's... definitely an anime ED, I guess.

but dat op's so fuckin' sweet

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By mutha3
    @Soren: The OP is rather cheap as well, though! Like half of it is comprised of stills and minimal animation!  The only impressive parts, animation wise is when the Personas rock out.

...But its colorful, stylish and captures the feel of P4 really well.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#181  Edited By Gerhabio

@Valkyr said:

Chie keeps being the tsundere girl we all love and now is cuter in anime form, I think it was a pretty good episode and I hope it will make Japanese gamers love the Persona series a bit more instead of just attaching to the Dragon Quest nonsense which has crappy gameplay

What's a tsundere?

Oh, never mind. I don't think that describes Chie really well, though.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By thehexeditor

@Gerhabio said:

@Valkyr said:

What's a tsundere?

Have I GOT THe lINK for YOU my friend:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By mutha3
    @Gerhabio said:

@Valkyr said:

What's a tsundere?

a very dumb anime cliche that doesn't apply to our lord and savior Chie

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Soren

@mutha3: Well, hopefully that means they're allocating their animation budget wisely, rather then just cheaping out.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By thehexeditor

@mutha3 said:

@Gerhabio said:

@Valkyr said:

What's a tsundere?

Basically an anime girl that pretends she doesn't like or care at all for her love-interest, but secretly loves him. Characterized by the phrase "I...I ...didn't do it because I like you or anything!"Have you ever seen Hey Arnold? Remember Helga?

Basically, that.

I-it's not like I wanted you to explain that! Baka...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Cloudenvy

@thehexeditor said:

@mutha3 said:

@Gerhabio said:

@Valkyr said:

What's a tsundere?

Basically an anime girl that pretends she doesn't like or care at all for her love-interest, but secretly loves him. Characterized by the phrase "I...I ...didn't do it because I like you or anything!"Have you ever seen Hey Arnold? Remember Helga?

Basically, that.

I-it's not like I wanted you to explain that! Baka...

Oh god, I love tsunderes so much. : (

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Starclopsofish

So did Youske and Chie get their personas in this episode?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By metalsnakezero

My temptation got the best of me and so I watched the leaked ep 2. It was pretty good and a nice structure compared to the game. Yu starting to develop a little more and now talking a little more, guess that slight courage boost helped. That battle scene was pretty good too. The pacing is a bit slower here so it help the development out. I like the OP and I'm ok with the ED. Again, I'll do a full impressions later.

@Starclopsofish said:

So did Youske and Chie get their personas in this episode?

Just Youske, Chie will get hers next week.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Soren said:

@mutha3 said:

Don't like it much. They really cheaped out on it. A buncha spinny cards and the song sucks.

Yeah, it's... definitely an anime ED, I guess.

but dat op's so fuckin' sweet

I think all anime ED's look cheap after seeing, what I think is one of the best, Higashi no Eden's ED.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Cloudenvy said:

I will never understand the need to label absolutely everything in Anime - moe, kawaii, tsundere, ecchi, sucky long time - who the fuck cares? You like what you see or you don't.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Cloudenvy

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I will never understand the need to label absolutely everything in Anime - moe, kawaii, tsundere, ecchi, sucky long time - who the fuck cares? You like what you see or you don't.

Because a ton of anime characters have become so stereotypical over the years that it's easier to brand them that way for some. : )

And ecchi is more or less a genre in itself at this point, so of course that's labelled.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By mutha3
    @Cloudenvy
    That's a pretty great ED! never seen it before, so thanks for sharing. Also goes to show that budget isn't necessarily a mark for quality.

@atomic_dumpling said:
    @Cloudenvy said:

welcome to the reason modern anime usually blows
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By metalsnakezero

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Cloudenvy said:

You don't have to, it just people labeling characters for fun.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#194  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I love how much they are embracing the videogame - the way the days change, for example, is taken straight from the game and is really cool to watch. I especially like how the game music just breaks out randomly as well, far too loud and inappropriate. Nailed it.

The only thing I'm kinda worried about is how quickly they are getting through the content. They have covered the first 4 or 5 hours of the game in a single episode - missing out loads of Igor stuff, and Teddie, and basic background stuff too. They basically skipped all the character building stuff to get to the first fight scene. I kinda wish they would slow down!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By MikkaQ

@Gerhabio said:

@Valkyr said:

What's a tsundere?

Oh, never mind. I don't think that describes Chie really well, though.

Yeah, that doesn't really seem like it. She's never openly hostile to the main character. She seems kinda hostile to the boys of the group in general though. Especially Yosuke.

I think I dug Chie because she was the most... realistic-ish teenager of the group. She seemed like a pretty normal american tomboy. Maybe that's outlandish in Japan, I dunno.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mutha3: Thank you for giving it a watch. : )

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By metalsnakezero

@Sweep: But again we're 2 episodes in and they could had structured it in a way to work in a short amount of time. Give it time and see if their formula works for you or not.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#198  Edited By ESREVER

I enjoyed episode 2, more so when boss fight music kicked in. Gave me chills, just like when the fight music kicked in in the first ep. I think this series is handling the game to anime transition pretty well. Then again, I'm not much of a critic when it comes to these things. I just know what I like, and I love this!

Also, yay for Courage increase and official OP/ED themes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Hailinel

Just watched Episode 2. The pacing is better since they don't have to cram as much exposition in, and the show is really finding its legs. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Hailinel

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Cloudenvy said:

The same reason tropes in anything get labels. Wander over to TV tropes sometime and you'll see ridiculous labels given to absolutely everything, whether it be anime, video games, live action television, films, novels, comic books. Hell, the site even catalogs trope appearances in fanfiction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.