Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 The Animation - Thread

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By thehexeditor

@mutha3 said:

@thehexeditor said:

It was WAY too fast paced for a first episode. I hope they slow things down later..

My thoughts exactly.

Now I don't fault them at all for trying to cut P4's lengthy opening sequence short-- after all, this is an anime, and that kind of story telling wouldn''t have worked

That being said, even as someone who played the original game, I had a hard time following what was going on. The scenes jumped around like crazy, Chie, Yosuke and Charlie accepted what was going around them WAY too fast and I think they completely failed in showing off Dojima and Nanako's dysfunctional relationship. I think if they had 5 extra minutes, they could have made the scenes flow into each other more elegantly and adress some of the rather important plot points they've skipped over.

The show looks very nice visually, though, and the Izanagi sequence was pretty damn badass. I dug it, but I'm not sure if its good to watch for anyone who isn't a P4 fan.

Agree with everything you said. Call me selfish but I don't care about the people who are coming into this new. To me this is pure crack cocaine fan service, plain and simple- HOOK IT TO MY VEINS.

We're getting 25 more episodes of this. I'm feeling pretty happy right now; let's all be jerks together.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Bocam

@thehexeditor: Only 24 more episodes.

I think this anime exists solely to sell the upcoming Vita port.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By thehexeditor

@Bocam said:

Doh, I was just about to edit my post, yeah.

I know, yeah, so much pandering in this episode to players of the game, but I am fine with it.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Pacing aside, that was actually a really awesome first episode. Really liked the day transitions/other game bits and the animation is nice.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really can't tell if I find it totally awesome due to the music and it being Persona 4 or because it's actually good.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By thehexeditor

@Cloudenvy said:

I really can't tell if I find it totally awesome due to the music and it being Persona 4 or because it's actually good.

Meh, let's throw objectivity out the window here. We're not professional critics, just Funky Student enthusiasts.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By mutha3

@Bocam said:

That seems like plenty time for me to do P4's story justice.

.....I suppose them getting the introduction out of the way is sign that they're not going to be as blandly faithful as the manga,(which only redeeming features was the highly detailed. well drawn art of the Personas themselves)

I agree on the VITA thing, though. Especially since it seems like Mary will apparantly make an appearance in the show.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@thehexeditor said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Meh, let's throw objectivity out the window here. We're not professional critics, just Funky Student enthusiasts.

So true

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Starclopsofish

Lol, I love Chie's voice actress. I think I might pick up the Japanese version of P4G when it's released in Japan. I would have liked to see more of Nanako and Adachi, but at the pace they're going, it wouldn't have fit. I enjoyed it and while not perfect, it could have been a lot worse!

As for people who haven't played the game not keeping up with the story, it all made sense to me. Of course I just started my New Game +++ so.... yeah... heh

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By thehexeditor

@Starclopsofish said:

Lol, I love Chie's voice actress. I think I might pick up the Japanese version of P4G when it's released in Japan. I would have liked to see more of Nanako and Adachi, but at the pace they're going, it wouldn't have fit. I enjoyed it and while not perfect, it could have been a lot worse!

As for people who haven't played the game not keeping up with the story, it all made sense to me. Of course I just started my New Game +++ so.... yeah... heh

"It could have been a lot worse" is a scary thought, sends chills up my spine..

We should be grateful for what we got here. Imagine a parallel universe where they got everything wrong

I don't think my heart could take it!

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61  Edited By Bartman3010

I really do hope that those stats you see in the commercial breaks change how the main character acts. I mean, right now he's pretty flat. But by the end he could be come like a complete asshole, strong headed or a dirty smooth talker, or a mix in the middle of the show.

Otherwise, jesus, they're really booking the events of the game. I do hope it slows down some.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By Seroth

Not sure how non-P4 fans will react to the anime, but as a fan, I thought it was pretty cool. So many cool throwbacks to the game.

I wasn't as offended by the Japanese voices as I thought I'd be. I'd still love to hear it dubbed by the game's English voice cast, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#63  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3 said:

@Bocam said:

That seems like plenty time for me to do P4's story justice.

.....I suppose them getting the introduction out of the way is sign that they're not going to be as blandly faithful as the manga,(which only redeeming features was the highly detailed. well drawn art of the Personas themselves)

I agree on the VITA thing, though. Especially since it seems like Mary will apparantly make an appearance in the show.

I think that, judging by the first episode at least, the anime is really hitting the right mix of faithfulness to the source material and the necessity to adapt for a different format. It hit all of the most important story beats up to this point, yet is condensing elements so that they don't take as long. I have a friend that seriously had doubts as to whether or not they'd manage to fit Izanami in.

AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AxleStukov

I have a feeling later episodes will not be going at such a breakneck pace, it reaaaaalllllyyyyy feels like they just wanted to get to Yu summoning Izanagi for the first time into the first episode. Also, thanks AN translation team for giving us bear puns instead of a verbal tic.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By thehexeditor

Chie mentioning her "mouth for meat". Yosuke wondering what the heck that's supposed to mean. Chie telling him that it means what it means.

Their quibbling seems softer, more husband and wife instead of brother and sister, than I remember.

Chie holding Yosuke by the waist from behind (it looks like she's humping him) and falling into the TV.

Gentlemen, what is going on here?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, just finished watching and I agree that it was very fast paced. A day would end and transition into the next when it wasn't even night time and scenes would just cut abruptly into a next one. One particular moment was when mere seconds after encountering Teddie, when Chie, Yosuke and Yu are suspicious of Teddie and vice versa, Teddie immediately gives Yu glasses to aid him in that world as if he fully trusts him. Also, I knew about it before but I really find that "-kuma" suffix irritating and it will be painful to deal with when he becomes a more significant presence in later episodes. 

I enjoyed it overall. Probably because I'm a fan of the original game, though. I wonder how my opinions would change had I watched this without knowing what Persona 4 was. The scene when Chie asks Yu to stop Yosuke from peeing, Yu looking at her and saying "Eh? Why?" and her blank stare afterwards was funny and the battle at the end was fun to watch. I look forward to the next episode, but I do hope the pace slows down a bit. Covering 60-80 hours of a game in 25 episodes is understandably tough, and it's only natural that we'll see more story modifications like we did with the 1st battle scene, but it's a bit hard keeping up with everything.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By punisherkaos

Really dug the first episode animation was kick ass and i loved the fight scene It did move a little fast but i think i would rather have it that way than it take 4 episodes to get his persona.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

It was very brisk, but Persona games can get a little laborious at times with their pacing. I think the introduction was fine, although I will agree that its hard to judge completely subjectively as someone who has played the game.

I would be interested to read the opinions of those who haven't played P4, although is that even an audience at this point?

I'm looking forward to see the story with a different spin on it, namely if they bother with love interests and trying to fit in many (if any) of the S-Links outside the party.

...Was it the English dub that changed the Junes theme or is this wholesale just a difference with the Anime? I know that the music wasn't changed in game between regions (answering my own question there) but that seemed a bit odd.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mutha3

@punisherkaos said:

Really dug the first episode animation was kick ass and i loved the fight scene It did move a little fast but i think i would rather have it that way than it take 4 episodes to get his persona.

There is a happy balance to be found between "show the game's opening unchanged" and "rush through the game's opening hours skipping important plot points" y'know:P

That reminds me, isn't there going to be like a director''s cut release of the first episode?

I understand the time constraint they would have been under due to being a tv show 'n all, but still..... Hope Yosuke and Chie's shadow aren't getting the shaft due to rushed pacing....

@WatanabeKazuma said:

...Was it the English dub that changed the Junes theme or is this wholesale just a difference with the Anime? I know that the music wasn't changed in game between regions (answering my own question there) but that seemed a bit odd.

Nah, that was Atlus USA's handiwork.

I am very thankful Sentai at least gave Teddie the proper sub. treatment.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Starclopsofish

5 stats X 5 levels = 25 episodes :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hailinel

@WatanabeKazuma: Trailers have shown some of the S. Link characters will appear, but it's hard to say if any significant time will be spent with them or if they'll just be cameos.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Starclopsofish said:

Except I don't think any of his stats went up in the first episode. 
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By thehexeditor

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Starclopsofish said:

I'm pretty sure at the very end all of his stats maxed out. That look he was giving Yosuke was plain scary.

AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By AxleStukov

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Starclopsofish said:

No Caption Provided

Are you kidding? His courage just shot up from rank 1 to rank 5 right here.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By eroticfishcake

This is so very surreal to me. Fun but man oh man...

Edit: Huh, I liked that better then I thought I would. Really interested in where's it's going now.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SomeJerk

Ok I approve of this series. Loved it when THAT happened, so much.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Starclopsofish

I hope it materializes in a non-streaming form shortly so I can watch it without droping 1/3 of the frames- the battle scene was a slideshow for me.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@Hailinel said:

@WatanabeKazuma: Trailers have shown some of the S. Link characters will appear, but it's hard to say if any significant time will be spent with them or if they'll just be cameos.

Yep, I was thinking the same. I don't think I would use many of them truth be told; I don't see how they could fit them in this format. They would otherwise seem like perfect filler material but that's not really an issue, the story is plenty long for 25 episodes.

@AxleStukov: I can only begin to imagine the still frames people are going to grab from these episodes!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    No Caption Provided
    It was a bit like this in Persona 4, but I like how Yu actually looks evil here. I'd like for every character to seem like that when they first summon their Personas.
    Chias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Chias

Just watched this a few minutes ago. So far this is pretty kickass, I'm gonna stick through with this one.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#81  Edited By DarkShaper

Hard to tell since I have played a ton of the game (finished my fourth play through this morning) but did the tone seem a bit more like a horror show to anyone else? Also I'm kinda worried the the fights will be cluster fucks later one when more people have persona.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mutha3

@FluxWaveZ said:

No Caption Provided
    It was a bit like this in Persona 4, but I like how Yu actually looks evil here. I'd like for every character to seem like that when they first summon their Personas.

When he takes off the jacket and the Charlie Tunoku(TM) popped collar showed up.

I forgave this episode for all its faults.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Juno500

@thehexeditor said:

It was WAY too fast paced for a first episode. I hope they slow things down later..

That's partially the fault of the game. The intro to Persona 4 (as well as the game as a whole) has so much needless exposition and redundant dialogue that in order to cut it down to a length acceptable for an anime, it's going to feel rushed in comparison. If the anime didn't make any cuts, the first episode would have ended before the first day of school, and the episode would have been really boring and uneventful.

But yeah, when the first few riffs of Reach out to the Truth started up at the ending scene, I was going "FUCK YEAH!".

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Starclopsofish

I think they did the best they could considering the time constraints - I mean if you add up all the dialogue, cutscenes, real-time scenes, and social links (without even considering dungeon crawling) you're probably looking at like 20 hours. Starting with Yukiko's Castle, there are 8 dungeons, so if they use the next episode for Yosuke and Chie getting their personas, that leaves less than 3 episodes per dungeon.

I really do wish they'd slow down a bit, but I don't think its feasible. I thought the first episode was quite good though.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mutha3

@Juno500 said:

@thehexeditor said:

That's partially the fault of the game. The intro to Persona 4 (as well as the game as a whole) has so much needless exposition and redundant dialogue that in order to cut it down to a length acceptable for an anime, it's going to feel rushed in comparison. If the anime didn't make any cuts, the first episode would have ended before the first day of school, and the episode would have been really boring and uneventful.

That redundant dialogue mostly takes up the middle portions of P4. The opening is actually mostly pretty important stuff.

I think they could have stricken a better balance than we ended up getting.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hailinel

Since it's pretty obvious that they're going the full story route and will be weaving the true ending into this, I wonder how they'll go about it. The pacing of the show seems to indicate that a letter on the last day of the game prompting further investigation isn't exactly the best choice.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Starclopsofish

@Hailinel:

I have a feeling a lot of the "investigation" parts of the game will be done in montage format.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mutha3 said:

@Juno500 said:

@thehexeditor said:

That redundant dialogue mostly takes up the middle portions of P4. The opening is actually mostly pretty important stuff.

I think they could have stricken a better balance than we ended up getting.

I feel like they hit all the important events from the opening and cut a lot of the fat that wasn't needed.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By damswedon

Everyday young life, Junes?

THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN!!!!

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#90  Edited By ESREVER

As soon as that fight music kicked in, I was 110% on board. That was good stuff. This show will have amazing transitions to say the least.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Cloudenvy

@damswedon said:

It means greatness!

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MrAristocrates

I am so glad that Teddie/Kuma doesn't have the "-kuma" verbal tic. Bear puns for life!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mutha3

@Cloudenvy said:

I feel like they hit all the important events from the opening and cut a lot of the fat that wasn't needed.

I dunno, maybe cutting out stuff like Charlie walking through a labyrinth in his nightmare, or them sloooowwllly going though the everyday life of Inaba by clueing us in on Rumor loving students deep insights was a wise decision...after all, unlike the game, immersion isn't nearly as important here.

But lets say you've never played the game-- how the hell are you supposed to know what the room in the beggining is about? Why are the characters so quickly accepting of being chucked into an alternate dimension? What insight into Dojima/ Nanako's characters are you given at this point beyond "yo man this is Yu's uncle/niece and Dojima works for the police in some capacity"? At that point in the game, you'd been introduced to the strained relationship the two have and you'd experienced Nanako's restrained and unnaturally mature personality...in the anime so far, all we've gotten out of her is "EVERY DAY YOUNG LIFE JUNESU".

Of course, a lot of the character stuff not brought up yet could be explored in later episodes, but the entire thing just didn't flow properly at all. Conversations felt half-finished, the story would just skip a day without a proper transition....Nah, I strongly disagree. The pacing was off.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@damswedon said:

LOL!

Are you not familiar with Persona music? It rarely makes sense, and its all the better for it!

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Juno500

@Starclopsofish said:

@Hailinel:

I have a feeling a lot of the "investigation" parts of the game will be done in montage format.

You mean where they have to find out something about the character so that Teddie/Rise can find the victim?

Better idea is just to cut them entirely. I never liked those parts of the game.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I think Chie's Japanese voice is better than her English one and they're doing a good job with the music so far. I also think the style of the preview was cool too. Overall good times were had.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@InfiniteGeass said:

I think Chie's Japanese voice is better than her English one

What?! Where is this coming from? I just saw someone else say that in another thread too.

May I remind you of this little nugget...

Aha, is this our chance?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#98  Edited By metalsnakezero
    No Caption Provided

Let see how fast he'll increase his stats.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Hailinel

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@InfiniteGeass said:

I think Chie's Japanese voice is better than her English one

What?! Where is this coming from? I just saw someone else say that in another thread too.

May I remind you of this little nugget...

Aha, is this our chance?

Unfortunately, they don't give out bonus points for bad line readings.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#100  Edited By metalsnakezero

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.