Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2008

This installment of Silent Hill sees a new character, Alex Shepherd, returning home from military service to find his family in disarray. To save his brother, Josh, he must enter the macabre town of Silent Hill.

The dude over at IGN must be a stone cold mofo...

r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t

In his review he pretty much rags on this game for not being scary.

I'd like to put him in a cage of Needlers and see what he would do...

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Which guy?

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By shotaro

didn't you know if you admit a game is scary you are a pussy? I hate when someone's overly macho attitude prevents them from writing from at least some form of objective viewpoint. I mean hell there are people who are scared by damn near everything so someone is bound to find it scary

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Absurd
    Shotaro said:
    "didn't you know if you admit a game is scary you are a pussy? I hate when someone's overly macho attitude prevents them from writing from at least some form of objective viewpoint. I mean hell there are people who are scared by damn near everything so someone is bound to find it scary"
    But a Review is only an opinion and if he wasn't scared then he should write that he wasn't.
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By trulyalive

Got a link to that review?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy who reviewed the game was Jeff Haynes. Here is his IGN's Star Profile. Doesn't look like a guy who gets scared easy.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I must admit. The only scary horror game out there is Condemned. All the others are far too predictable. The way I look at it is that something like Silent Hill tells you that you're going to be scared, so you play defensively and whatever comes at you, you're instantly ready for it.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I must admit. The only scary horror game out there is Condemned. All the others are far too predictable. The way I look at it is that something like Silent Hill tells you that you're going to be scared, so you play defensively and whatever comes at you, you're instantly ready for it."
    Played FEAR or Penumbra?
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shotaro
    Absurd said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "didn't you know if you admit a game is scary you are a pussy? I hate when someone's overly macho attitude prevents them from writing from at least some form of objective viewpoint. I mean hell there are people who are scared by damn near everything so someone is bound to find it scary"
    But a Review is only an opinion and if he wasn't scared then he should write that he wasn't."
    true but journalists are supposed to at least try to be objective just saying - personally it didn't scare me but it has the jumps and shocks necessary to scare the pants off of some people would satisfy that
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By snide

I can not play horror games. I don't know what it is, but though I love horror movies and rarely get scared, I simply can not play through a game like Silent Hill when I'm alone.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By chililili
    snide said:
    "I can not play horror games. I don't know what it is, but though I love horror movies and rarely get scared, I simply can not play through a game like Silent Hill when I'm alone."
    I actually got pretty scared with Resident Evil 4, enough that I put it down for a couple months until I was like fuck it man up to it, played it, for some reason was no longer scared and now horror games don't scare, I guess I sort of got over some sort of mentality or way of seeing things.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Demyx
    snide said:
    "I can not play horror games. I don't know what it is, but though I love horror movies and rarely get scared, I simply can not play through a game like Silent Hill when I'm alone."
    its the opposite for me.
    I could play a horror game, but not watch a horror movie.
    VegaDemonLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VegaDemonLord

Dude I agree. This game is way, way underrated.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Rowr

The dude at ign probably played it surrounded by coworkers, in a noisy fully lit office.

Nothing can be scary under those circumstances.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
    MisterSpiffy said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "I must admit. The only scary horror game out there is Condemned. All the others are far too predictable. The way I look at it is that something like Silent Hill tells you that you're going to be scared, so you play defensively and whatever comes at you, you're instantly ready for it."
    Played FEAR or Penumbra?"
    F.E.A.R., yes, Penumbra, no and I found F.E.A.R to be one of the most boring experiences ever. Default environments and boring enemies, even if they did have good AI, coupled with horror segments that may as well be signposted a mile away just made that game fail so badly.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne
    HandsomeDead said:
     You obviously have not played Silent Hill. Silent Hill doesn't throw scares at you. It creeps into your mind and rearranges the furniture. It is disturbing on so many levels, that when there's one of these "scares" as in, Something Happens and you go Woah!, you will be saying: Ah, thank god. Only a jump moment.

Playing Silent Hill, you oftentimes 100% know what awaits you, or absolutely know that nothing is going to happen, but you're still hesitant and too scared to go on.

Condemned often evokes a similar feeling, but on a much more shallow level.

Edit: I'm talking about SH, SH2 and to a certain extent, SH3 here. The other games are meh and Homecoming I have not played yet. But the IGN reviewer seems to have complained that while Homecoming is scary in a traditional sense, it doesn't hold a candle to the mindfucks that are SH and SH2. And I can very well imagine it - These were made by japanese people, after all.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
    Shotaro said:
    While I agree with the person saying review is opinion and maybe he GENUINELY wasn't scared - I also agree with what you said.

I absolutely DETEST macho.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By kush
    snide said:
    I'm the same exact way...I have never finished a RE game, never played a SH game and just can't seem to do it. I have played Condemned 1&2 and had no problem (which shocks people), but I think that may be due to the first-person perspective.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolemnOaf

I wanna be a macho man.

KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By KiddSushi
    Rowr said:
    "The dude at ign probably played it surrounded by coworkers, in a noisy fully lit office.

Nothing can be scary under those circumstances."
    You make a good point. How scary would a horror film be if all the lights were on and everyone in the theater was chatting it up?
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TEAMHOLT

I've heard from a friend who's playing it that the scares are pretty generic, and it fails to really capture the atmosphere. He also complains that it's linear like all the Silent Hill games have been, but in a totally insensible way. That leads me to believe the IGN reviewer isn't as far off as games reviewers sometimes are, and I'm going to wait a while before checking this one out.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By RedSox8933

did nobody else think that BioShock was scary? that game scared the living shit out of me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

I didn't think bioshock was scary at all, then I went back and saw some classified it under horror also..and I was like "wait what?"

People need to get over it though..so many act like the people that review games are so much better than we are and have so much more meaning or something...its just the opinion of another person, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean bitching about it and saying hes wrong is going to change anything. This is just what happens when a game stays in the same exact genre exactly how it always has, and changes developers, especially from Japanese to Western..its a big step and is of course going to be compared to its other games.

The big difference here I think is that SIlent hill 1&2 made their mark(3 was fine too, just I think 1 and 2 were far better, 2 mostly)it set how it was going to mess with people( I never felt creeped out or anything in the SH games...another one where I thought condemned was worse, guess its the first person perspective moreso)anyway, out of te survival horror games that have lived from Japan, RE and SH, I think everyone realizes that RE took its own turn, I loved RE4 and was glad it was a different formular, but the people that play SH games, don't want to run around as a third person shooting game..they want it to feel scary, they want you to be more defenseless, like the other SH protagonists were...I think thats really where his review was coming from.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Rowr said:
    "The dude at ign probably played it surrounded by coworkers, in a noisy fully lit office.

Nothing can be scary under those circumstances."
    Wii shovelware is still scary under those conditions.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb
    HandsomeDead said:
    "MisterSpiffy said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    F.E.A.R., yes, Penumbra, no and I found F.E.A.R to be one of the most boring experiences ever. Default environments and boring enemies, even if they did have good AI, coupled with horror segments that may as well be signposted a mile away just made that game fail so badly."

Condemned: Criminal Origins is hands down the scariest shit I have ever played or seen. I'm not ashamed to admit it. As for F.E.A.R., I didn't find it scary at all. But I'm not going to say it's a bad game. In fact, I think it is one of the best FPS of this generation. I had a blast with that game, no pun intended.
    birdbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By birdbrain

Silent Hill Origins was scary. I played it in the dark with headphones on most of the time. The old RE games scared me when i played them but RE4 wasn't that scary. I really want to play Condemned 2 now that ive read this thread.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Kazona
    MisterSpiffy said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Funny someone should mention that, as I actually played FEAR and I can't say that I really was ever scared.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By CoolDrMoney

FEAR isn't scary at all. I was never all that scared by Condemned either, though I never played it with headphones on. Resident Evil REmake was pretty damn scary, though 95% of it had to do with my arachnophobia.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By vidiot

You people need to play the first Fatal Frame. Still #1 on the only game to really scare the crap out of me.

FEAR is not a scary game by any means. Condemned was pretty good, as well as it's bigger budget sequel. (I think of the first game as an indie flick.) You should also check out System Shock 2.

While it's not really terrifying Sanitarium is also a pretty good psychological horror game.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JakJ

Eh... I still get that chilly panicked feeling I got from the other games. You know... when you're running through some hellish hallway and hearing all these god awful noises behind you, you know there are like four enemies just two steps behind and you're out of health and health drinks, and you just run going "ohshitohshitohshit" and praying none of them get you. That's kinda what sold me on Homecoming to accept it as a 'real' game in the franchise. But as noted above, you only get that feeling at night with the lights out and the surround sound cranked up.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Kazona said:
    "Funny someone should mention that, as I actually played FEAR and I can't say that I really was ever scared."
    I didn't find it scary either. I never found little girls scary. Maybe if she had flaming chainsaws for eyes but that's a big maybe.
    r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t

I'm probably gonna get flamed for saying this, but I remember playing The Thing on PC forever ago and being absolutely terrified. Haha did anyone else play that little gem? Very underrated horror game in my book!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By jakob187
    snide said:
    Snide, do we need to hold your hand?
    When you play Silent Hill, think of us as your Verizon Network.  = D

...and anothOMGLOOKOUTBEHINDYOU!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.