Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Protagonist

Concept »

A lead character who never says a word, despite being spoken to.

If only they could speak...

AndrewW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AndrewW

What if these video game characters could speak...

• Who would you have as voice talent?
    • What might they say?
    • Would it change the way the game plays out...or concludes?
    peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By peewi

If they could speak they would no longer be silent. C H A R A C T E R  P A R A D O X

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Termite

Well you mean if they just took a game like Half Life 2 but put in voice acting, nah It wouldn't be the same at all. The vibe would be all messed up if Gordon were to speak

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vision
    Termite said:
    "Well you mean if they just took a game like Half Life 2 but put in voice acting, nah It wouldn't be the same at all. The vibe would be all messed up if Gordon were to speak
    "
    We'd be used to Gordon speaking and most likely think it would be weird without him doing so.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Jak from Jak and Daxter used to be a silent protagonist... He could a healthy dose of voice acting in Jak 2, though. =P

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By RVonE

Sometimes silence is golden.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes like Link in legend of zelda, having him talk would just be messed up, and the same with gordon. Because when a main character in a action game speaks it always sounds as lame as master chief with the same corny dialogue and it just doesnt fit, gordon is a man of science damnit!

fidgetwidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fidgetwidget

I think the point behind having a silent character (with a few exceptions) is to enhance the thought that YOU the player are the protagonist. The games that I am thinking about often had the non player characters (NPCs) respond to implied dialog by the player character. Zelda for example, and Chrono Trigger (a game I forgot had a silent protagonist), and in the first Half Life with Gordon (although they changed that stance in the second half life to play up the fact that he didn't talk).

To have some of these talk would alltogehter change the way the player experienced the game. It wouldn't nessecarily made the games bad, but it would have changed our preception of them. I wish more games would adopt the silent protagonist, but FULLY recognize that it's not for every game. (GTA4 with a silent protagonist would have been difficult).

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Met2609
    fidgetwidget said:
    "I think the point behind having a silent character (with a few exceptions) is to enhance the thought that YOU the player are the protagonist. The games that I am thinking about often had the non player characters (NPCs) respond to implied dialog by the player character. Zelda for example, and Chrono Trigger (a game I forgot had a silent protagonist), and in the first Half Life with Gordon (although they changed that stance in the second half life to play up the fact that he didn't talk).

To have some of these talk would alltogehter change the way the player experienced the game. It wouldn't nessecarily made the games bad, but it would have changed our preception of them. I wish more games would adopt the silent protagonist, but FULLY recognize that it's not for every game. (GTA4 with a silent protagonist would have been difficult).
    "

I disagree with that first line. I never feel as if I am Gordon Freeman, just that I am controlling his motions. A game like Mass Effect, where I got to choose what the character's actions and personality was, truly makes me feel as if I am role-playing and not just controlling someone else.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By jeff

Personally, I'm hoping that HL2 Episode 3 ends with Gordon emitting some kind of loud scream that somehow destroys Xen or something wild like that.

kingmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By kingmasters

like in condemned 2

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By damswedon

i want jaws to speak in a jaws game.

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By John

Link from the Legend of Zelda, voiced by Peter Moore.  Truly only good things can from this.

TheToecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheToecutter

I hope in episode 3 it's revealed (by gordon himself) that he was (and still is) to embarassed to speak because he has a chronic case of laryngitis and nothing being said about it again. That or he talks in smileys

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By aaox

I can imagine Gordon Freeman saying: " I'm just a bloody physicist! "

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac

This page wouldn't exist. Also......

Aaox said:
    "I can imagine Gordon Freeman saying: " I'm just a bloody physicist! ""
    ......definitely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.