Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SingStar

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 20, 2008

The PlayStation 3 debut of SingStar delivers the same style of karaoke gameplay that you've seen in previous games, but with added online functionality you can now download new songs and share your performances with other users.

SingStar Gets Backwards Compatible

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Sony revealed a while back that it had something in the works for accessing songs from the numerous SingStar games for the PlayStation 2 through the SingStar games for the PlayStation 3, an exciting proposition for the (mostly European) folks who've already made a significant investment in the SingStar series, but don't have a backwards-compatible PS3. As announced via the official PlayStation blog earlier today, such a patch is now available for download. Unlike the Rock Band/Rock Band 2 import feature, which allows you to copy the songs from the first game to your hard drive for a nominal fee, this feature will require you to hang onto your old SingStar discs, as you'll have to swap in your PS2 discs after first loading up SingStar for the PS3, which is slightly less convenient. Still, the announcement makes it sound like it'll work with any of the SingStar games for the PS3, of which there are already three. (UPDATE: Sony has since confirmed this.) Even if you don't already own any of the last-gen SingStar games, they can now be purchased for a (cringe) song, and it's another reason for owners of the older games to invest in the already terrific SingStar games for the PlayStation 3, making this a nice addition for any fan of singing in front of your television.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Sony revealed a while back that it had something in the works for accessing songs from the numerous SingStar games for the PlayStation 2 through the SingStar games for the PlayStation 3, an exciting proposition for the (mostly European) folks who've already made a significant investment in the SingStar series, but don't have a backwards-compatible PS3. As announced via the official PlayStation blog earlier today, such a patch is now available for download. Unlike the Rock Band/Rock Band 2 import feature, which allows you to copy the songs from the first game to your hard drive for a nominal fee, this feature will require you to hang onto your old SingStar discs, as you'll have to swap in your PS2 discs after first loading up SingStar for the PS3, which is slightly less convenient. Still, the announcement makes it sound like it'll work with any of the SingStar games for the PS3, of which there are already three. (UPDATE: Sony has since confirmed this.) Even if you don't already own any of the last-gen SingStar games, they can now be purchased for a (cringe) song, and it's another reason for owners of the older games to invest in the already terrific SingStar games for the PlayStation 3, making this a nice addition for any fan of singing in front of your television.
    Simsfreak14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Simsfreak14

Now if they did that with all PS2 games...

Avatar image for thirtiethtwelve
    Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Pathos

Yes! Now I will have to buy all SingStar for the PS3!!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

I dont really get whats happening, it sounds like they figured out how to let people play there PS2 Singstar songs on PS3 but rather than letting people play them (like sticking a Halo 2 disk into a Xbox 360) they decided to make people pay for it? Or in a less cyncical way they made it a premium feature for people who own PS3 and PS2 copies of Singstar. I suppose its adequate but its not exatly ideal is it?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

Another reason I wish I could get a PS3 and the Singstar series. It is pretty much the definitive karaoke videogame.

Jumpify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jumpify

Dude importing come on! I am guessing its really difficult to do that with a ps2 game but none of the ps3 games import into each other either...

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90

now I think I should consider purchasing the game

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Otacon

The first thing that popped into my head when reading this was 'now I can buy Singstar Disney!' What have I become?

fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fans

Dear friend :

we wholesale all kinds of brand sport shoes(Nike Jordan shox,

tn..),soccer Shoes .T-shirt(polo D&G). Jeans(seven DG EVSIU RMC ). ED

hardy coat, hoody, Handbag( CHANEL FENDI coach chanel )

Sunglasses,hat and so on

We insists that With high-standard quality, fastest delivery and satisfied service and reasonable price for you.

Welcome to visit our website http://www.shoes-trader.com

If you are interested in our production pls don't hesitate to contact us.
    Thank you!
    Best regards!

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Terranova

OK if Sony can do that for Singstar why the hell can't they do it for Guitar hero or is this Activision  not allowing Sony to do so.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By octaslash

Withholding backwards compatibility is just Sony's ploy to make you keep/buy a PS2.  If the 60 GB can do it with software, why not the others?

Mox007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Mox007

I tried out the hotswap Singstar feature last night and it worked well. I purchased Singstar Pop several months ago in anticipation of this feature. Yesterday, I finally pulled off the shrinkwrap off the game and  played it.   :)

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I love "signing" in front of my tv.  It helps me prepare for the day when I will finally have some deaf friends.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By SpinCookie
    Otacon said:
    "The first thing that popped into my head when reading this was 'now I can buy Singstar Disney!' What have I become?"
    Is there a Singstar disney, I couldn't find anything on it, if there is, I need it.  I see the pic in Ryan's post, what game is that from, all i can find is Disney Sing it.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Otacon

It's called 'Singstar: sing along with disney', I don't own it... yet.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpinCookie
    Otacon said:
    "It's called 'Singstar: sing along with disney', I don't own it... yet."
    Thanks!  ah man it's only in PAL territories, does anyone know if this patch with work if i put a PAL PS2 disc into my US PS3?
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpinCookie

SpinCookie said:
    "Otacon said:
    "It's called 'Singstar: sing along with disney', I don't own it... yet."
    Thanks!  ah man it's only in PAL territories, does anyone know if this patch with work if i put a PAL PS2 disc into my US PS3?"

Ohh I found a copy of it on Ebay, does anyone know if I'll be able to play it in my US PS3 with me US copy of singstar, with this new patch?  It'd be a great gift for my girlfriend for Christmas, but I don't want to risk it if this patch doesn't work for imported games.  Help!
    Sestren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sestren

So then why wouldn't they do that for other PS2 games? I think it's absolute horseshit that they did away with backward compatible PS3's. I'm lucky to have one that is backward compat, but it seems to me that they'd want to give consumers a system with a 1000+ game library instead of one with a 50+ game library with only a handful of worthwhile titles. I'm livid about it. My girlfriend wants a blu-ray player and also wants to get caught up on last gen's JRPG's. So she'll have to have both a PS2 and 3 if she wants to do all that. Sony is giving consumers a big "eff you, you'll buy it anyway" with the PS3 so far.

ono_sendai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By ono_sendai

Honestly, if they just made Backwards Compatible Functionality available through the Playstation Store, I would totally shell out $15 to get PS2 emulation and I wouldn't even be outraged about it.

I can totally understand cutting production of the Emotion Engine stuff, but when you've got the software and the means to distribute it and you can make extra money by doing so... what's the hold up?

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech

That's pretty cool. Even more advanced that Rock Band 2's ability for RB1 Compatibility.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By DrRandle

Sweet, I wasn't sure about this beforehand. I'm getting a PS3 for x-mas, and SIngstar vol. 1(vol 2. = lame) was going to be one of the first games I get. I had gotten used to the old Singstar disc-swap system on PS2, which is better than nothing, but I do wish I could just burn the songs (I want) and ditch the discs like PS2. Oh well, good to know!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Media_Master

not interested in sing star at all

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.