Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Character » appears in 177 games

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the world's most famous video game characters and the mascot of Sega Enterprises Ltd. Sonic was introduced on June 23 1991 with the launch of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. His super speed makes him one of the fastest fictional characters.

Sonic Fan Remix. I played it. You can too.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions
    http://sonicfanremix.com/  

These guys have just released a demo of their long slaved-over project. They're trying to make a modernized recreation of the original Sonic 2 game (so yes, my disappointed Sonic 4 players, there's NO homing attack. Yeah!). And let me tell you, people; these guys nailed it. At least as far as i can tell, the controls are pinpoint precise, and the physics are just as tight as we remember. 

My only worries about the 3-level demo concern the fact that I found myself trying to fly through the stages to see the boss. ...But there isn't one. It's a boss-less demo, folks. 

Another thing. This game is finished. And I don't mean that it's complete. I mean that every, little, detail, is completely addressed. Grass hangs over the foreground, trees sway, Giant Mecha-Robotnik flies by in the background, a GIANT FUCKING WHALE eats up some terrain in the background, fully-detailed hills scroll by in the background with the words "roboland" flashing in neon lights. Compare this game to Sonic 4, and you may start to wonder if you're going insane. 

Edit: Just realized this video has some weird and missing sound effects. Don't worry, the demo has every sound exactly right.

You're going to need a decent computer to run this game the way a Sonic game should be played. I have an Nvidia 8700m GT and I had to select the "fastest" option to kill the last bits of slowdown. 

And yes, Sonic 4 and this project clearly have different goals in mind. Sonic 4 set out to refresh the experience and breathe new life into it, while Sonic Fan Remix really just appears to be a fantastic upgrade to a great classic. 

What do you guys think?
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GoofyGoober

That looks awesome, and the song is catchy as hell.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By DjCmeP

Looks nice.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Hate to state the obvious but this looks better than Sonic 4.  Sonic looks...right?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon

Hey Sega! Hire these guys!

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

That music gave me nostalgic chills all over! TO THE MEGADRIVE EMULATOR! BY WHICH I MEAN MY COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL, NOT COMPLETELY BROKEN ORIGINAL SEGA MEGADRIVE AND LEGITIMATE COPY OF SONIC 2!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Red12b
    @Tebbit:  
    Sonic three is boss. 

@damswedon said:
    " Hey Sega! Hire these guys! "
    Anything Sega makes is tainted, so don't.  

Sonic isn't sonic anymore, it's a cheap nostalgic cash in, 

But this is wicked, Demo downloading as we...type? 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" Hate to state the obvious but this looks better than Sonic 4. Sonic looks...right? "

I believe this is a typo. 
    But yes, this looks - and plays - a ton better than Sonic 4. It's essentially Sonic 2 with nice clothes. 

@Tebbit said:

" That music gave me nostalgic chills all over! TO THE MEGADRIVE EMULATOR! BY WHICH I MEAN MY COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL, NOT COMPLETELY BROKEN ORIGINAL SEGA MEGADRIVE AND LEGITIMATE COPY OF SONIC 2! "

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this whole "Fan Remix" originated in some seedy Sonic forums where people mod and hack the original sonic games. I'm sure almost everyone there is playing their Sonic on some kind of Emu.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Romination

It looks nice, but I think it doesn't have a good sense of speed. Even when he'd been running unfettered for a few seconds.

peligroy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By peligroy2k

Im working right now, cant wait to go home and play it!!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @FunExplosions:   I can't fault this demo at all.  God, Sonic in Sonic 4 looks so wrong by comparison.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

Holy shit, this is a fan game?

Why does it look so good?

WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Sega really needs to hire these guys....

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By vaiz
    @FunExplosions said:
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this whole "Fan Remix" originated in some seedy Sonic forums where people mod and hack the original sonic games. I'm sure almost everyone there is playing their Sonic on some kind of Emu. "
    It's actually a legitimate technical achievement. Seedy we are not.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mesoian

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looks amazing.

Woe is the day a fan base delivers better games then the original producer.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thegoldencat7

WANT,

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ace829

Is it weird that I'm the only one who enjoyed Sonic 4 for what it was?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

WoW this looks and sounds exactly what i was hoping Sonic 4 would be. What a fucking joke. This is 1000X better than Sonic 4

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kjellm87

WOAH, that's impressive. 

@Ace829

said:

" Is it weird that I'm the only one who enjoyed Sonic 4 for what it was? "

Yes, Sonic 4 was fun. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

THe most jarringly obvious thing here is how ridiculous the new Sonic looks (IN SONIC 4, HAPPY NOW BEDLAM sheesh). He's big as shit and lanky.  And also the physics were floaty. 

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Does someone know where to download it? The link on the site doesn't work any more, copyright bollocks. 
    I need to try this demo, badly. 

Edit:Wait, found it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions
    @punkxblaze said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this whole "Fan Remix" originated in some seedy Sonic forums where people mod and hack the original sonic games. I'm sure almost everyone there is playing their Sonic on some kind of Emu. "
    It's actually a legitimate technical achievement. Seedy we are not. "
    Yeah, sorry. Of course it's legitimate. Magic doesn't make games. I was just backing the guy up by saying that playing Genesis (Mega Drive) games on an Emu in this day and age isn't anything to feel bad about. I'm actually just kind of surprised at just how underground this thing was, originating in some community forums rather than by some aspiring small team of developers. ...Or maybe that's what it is. I don't really know what I'm talking about. ... 

...Looks good, though, amirite!? 

@Romination said:
    " It looks nice, but I think it doesn't have a good sense of speed. Even when he'd been running unfettered for a few seconds. "
    There's a few things that seemed a tad off. I don't remember the old games having that crazy of a sense of speed, either, though.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FunExplosions
    @TwoOneFive said:

" THe most jarringly obvious thing here is how ridiculous the new Sonic looks. He's big as shit and lanky.  And also the physics were floaty.  "

In this one or in Sonic 4? Sonic always controlled floaty. They specifically modeled the physics right on top of the old Sonic games. They are barely shy of identical. 

Edit: His shoes do look a bit ridiculous. They're big and floppy. I think they need to be shortened or tweaked in some way.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" THe most jarringly obvious thing here is how ridiculous the new Sonic looks. He's big as shit and lanky.  And also the physics were floaty.  "

In this one or in Sonic 4? Sonic always controlled floaty. They specifically modeled the physics right on top of the old Sonic games. They are barely shy of identical.  Edit: His shoes do look a bit ridiculous. They're big and floppy. I think they need to be shortened or tweaked in some way. "
    bullshit 
    first off his whole body looks ridiculous, long lanky legs, big ass feet, super big ass spikes, and his face is flat. he should be shorter, with a rounder face and smaller spikes.  like this: 

and i was playing my old sega to make sure. Sonic 4's physics are bad. They're not identical to the original games and were modeled after Sonic Advanced, which was slightly different. 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunExplosions
    @TwoOneFive said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

In this one or in Sonic 4? Sonic always controlled floaty. They specifically modeled the physics right on top of the old Sonic games. They are barely shy of identical.  Edit: His shoes do look a bit ridiculous. They're big and floppy. I think they need to be shortened or tweaked in some way. "
    bullshit first off his whole body looks ridiculous, long lanky legs, big ass feet, super big ass spikes, and his face is flat. he should be shorter, with a rounder face and smaller spikes.   and i was playing my old sega to make sure. Sonic 4's physics are bad. They're not identical to the original games and were modeled after Sonic Advanced, which was much different "
    Literal facepalm. 

You realize I'm not talking about Sonic 4, right? Did you read my post at all? Did you watch the video? Did you click the link? 

Edit: Sorry, I read your first comment that I missed before. You apparently agree with me. Must have been some confusion with what I was saying.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Romination
    @FunExplosions: I gotta say, those times when you go really fast and the Genesis just can't keep up, those bits are awesome.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Romination said:
    " @FunExplosions: I gotta say, those times when you go really fast and the Genesis just can't keep up, those bits are awesome. "
    Oh yeah. Well, man. I'm pretty sure the times that that happened were in later levels; levels that weren't in the demo. Of course, I'm also fairly certain that it still wouldn't happen on those levels given how the demo currently plays. Also, though, it's a pretty early demo. In the span of that video being created and the demo being posted, they made some significant tweaks. They still have some serious time they need to invest into this to finish it. Hopefully it turns out correctly. What do you think about Sonic 4's handling?
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By apathylad

Neat. Doubt my computer could run that though. Also, still could use a bit of work, since the dead enemy sound effect didn't seem to kick in.

Anyone remember that fan game that put pikachu in sonic 1?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Apathylad said:
    " Neat. Doubt my computer could run that though. Also, still could use a bit of work, since the dead enemy sound effect didn't seem to kick in. Anyone remember that fan game that put pikachu in sonic 1? "

Well, like I said right above the video; all the sounds work exactly correct in the demo.

Don't know anything about Pikachu Sonic.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#31  Edited By jacksukeru
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @Romination said:
    " @FunExplosions: I gotta say, those times when you go really fast and the Genesis just can't keep up, those bits are awesome. "
    Oh yeah. Well, man. I'm pretty sure the times that that happened were in later levels; levels that weren't in the demo. Of course, I'm also fairly certain that it still wouldn't happen on those levels given how the demo currently plays. Also, though, it's a pretty early demo. In the span of that video being created and the demo being posted, they made some significant tweaks. They still have some serious time they need to invest into this to finish it. Hopefully it turns out correctly. What do you think about Sonic 4's handling? "
    I played the demo a couple of times and I managed to build up some pretty crazy speed at one point in...the first level I think. But yeah it's kinda hard to go really fast. 

I liked the two different animations for when you stand close to an edge, though was a bit disappointed that there was no idle animation, and no end-of-the-stage victory pose...yet.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster

He's the fastest thing alive.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CptBedlam
    @TwoOneFive said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

bullshit 
    first off his whole body looks ridiculous, long lanky legs, big ass feet, super big ass spikes, and his face is flat. he should be shorter, with a rounder face and smaller spikes.  like this:    and i was playing my old sega to make sure. Sonic 4's physics are bad. They're not identical to the original games and were modeled after Sonic Advanced, which was slightly different.  "
    Next time you should just mention the game you're talking about if it's not the game the respective thread is about. Understandably, people were thinking you're talking about the fan remake which has much better controls and animations than Sonic 4.

Also, why don't people ever use the search function? There's a thread about this since yesterday but people keep open up new ones. It's retarded and lazy.

http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1/61-28078/sonic-fan-remix-demo-released/35-460336/
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Romination
    @FunExplosions: No comment, I haven't tried Sonic 4 yet. I got other priorities (Vanquish and Super Meat Boy) but I'll look into it one of these days. From what I've seen, though, the handling of 4 is oddly sluggish, like he's too heavy.
    ironscimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ironscimitar

Worst file hosting ever.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FunExplosions
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

bullshit 
    first off his whole body looks ridiculous, long lanky legs, big ass feet, super big ass spikes, and his face is flat. he should be shorter, with a rounder face and smaller spikes.  like this:    and i was playing my old sega to make sure. Sonic 4's physics are bad. They're not identical to the original games and were modeled after Sonic Advanced, which was slightly different.  "
    Next time you should just mention the game you're talking about if it's not the game the respective thread is about. Understandably, people were thinking you're talking about the fan remake which has much better controls and animations than Sonic 4.  Also, why don't people ever use the search function? There's a thread about this since yesterday but people keep open up new ones. It's retarded and lazy.   http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1/61-28078/sonic-fan-remix-demo-released/35-460336/ "
    I used the search function. My thread was created before that one. Fuck you.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @CptBedlam said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

bullshit 
    Next time you should just mention the game you're talking about if it's not the game the respective thread is about. Understandably, people were thinking you're talking about the fan remake which has much better controls and animations than Sonic 4.  Also, why don't people ever use the search function? There's a thread about this since yesterday but people keep open up new ones. It's retarded and lazy.   http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1/61-28078/sonic-fan-remix-demo-released/35-460336/ "
    uh.... i was comparing this game to sonic 4... im pretty sure everyone knew exactly what i was talking about, you're the only one confused here dude. how about you find something better to do with you time then trying, and failing, to correct people on giantbomb.com. 
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By DocHaus

For a fan-made game, I'm surprised at the amount of effort they put into those three Acts of one level. Consider me impressed.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CptBedlam
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @CptBedlam said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

bullshit 
    uh.... i was comparing this game to sonic 4... im pretty sure everyone knew exactly what i was talking about, you're the only one confused here dude. how about you find something better to do with you time then trying, and failing, to correct people on giantbomb.com.  "
    I wasn't confused, but other people were and asked wether you were talking about Sonic 4 or the fan remake. A needless discussion was sparked because you didn't name the game you were talking about.  Read the thread.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @CptBedlam: no your argument is needless. stop policing the fucking threads. 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Played it and would like to see some more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.