Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

How Are You Liking It So Far?

• 82 results
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

SHOE!!!!!!!!!!!
    SHOE!!!!!!!!!!!

So i'm not really that far but, HOLY PUPPY.This game is a giant ass Love Letter to South Park fans, as a long time south park fan every i'm frothing at the mouth at everything in this game. The dumb jokes, the tiny references It's all great and i love it.

Right off the bat when you enter Cartman's house the Terrence and Phillip show playing in the room, I stood there just listening to the dumb show play out for I don't know how long. If it keep this up through out the entire game, man. GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

im enjoying it immensely and im only in 1.5 hrs

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Finished the game and thought it was great. Easily recommend to South Park fans.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, me likes. Played about 2.5 hrs and I have laughed out loud several times.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not even seen much of South Park and I really like it. It stands really well on its own as a game and as a comedy. Although it's clear I'm missing a shit-ton of references (I recognized very few, like the DMV literature and stuff) it's still really funny.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Lovin' it. Played the first 4 hours ish, and it's fantastic. Paper mario the thousand year door is the only jrpg style rpg I was ever able to tolerate, and this is like that but funnier. Can't wait to unlock all the companions and lvl 6 special attacks and stuff.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xel

I got past the second day and I'm loving this game. Early contender for GOTY imo.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As someone that is not the greatest South Park fan (I lost interest after 5 or 6 seasons), I am really enjoying it. It has enough references to the early episodes, the writing is solid, and I like how they went all the way with fantasy and game tropes.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Absolutely loving it! I've been hoping for a South Park game like this ever since the N64 game and they finally were able to do it! There are so many old references that I am spending more time just enjoying all the old memories than the game itself (almost!).

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Nodima

It's awesome, and I have no idea how anyone could complain about the length of the game. I played for five+ hours yesterday before Walking Dead and the Bombcast dropped and only just barely completed the first day in that time. Assuming that's a third or fourth of the game, that means there's PLENTY of stuff left to do in South Park.

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what has me excited? The fact that there is a DLC link on the title screen (at least on PC). I am a huge fan of games that provide me reasons to return to them (aka Borderlands 2), and I can see some long legs on the future of this title if they regularly provide 1-off stories or even collections of side quests that are specific to a particular episode/series of episodes.

The reason I think this would be particularly successful in South Park's case, is that they have already created mini worlds regularly that each have a detailed and self-referential story. Off the top of my head, I would gladly drop $10 for episodes like Imaginationland, Console Wars, Christmas, the Coon, or anything in Canada. I can't help but wonder if that's the direction Jordan Thomas (aka the Bioshock 2 creative guy) (aka the design consultant for SoT who was pulled in after THQ bit the dust) is down this long-legged rabbit hole.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I can't help but wonder if that's the direction Jordan Thomas (aka the Bioshock 2 creative guy) (aka the design consultant for SoT who was pulled in after THQ bit the dust) is down this long-legged rabbit hole.

There's actually a good interview with Gamasutra that goes VERY in-depth about what his involvement with the game was.

link

Some pull-quotes:

"As far as how my time on the immersive simulations, for lack of a better term, applies to Stick: First thing was, I pushed really hard for more combinatorial use of the player tools -- [that is,] the ability for players to be creative by combining tools in ways that the designer selected in order to open a field of play, and also the Deus Ex-y sort, in which there are multiple paths within a denser dungeon-like environment."

"The big measure I was pushing for I called ‘contingent humor’ -- having [the development team] craft contingent responses for the characters so they could respond to things the player might do while testing the limits of the game. Luckily they [the development team] was absolutely game for it, and they did a big pass where we attempted, together, to anticipate all the things the player might do, especially early on, when there’s less you must do and more that you’re just kind of deciding to wander into, and reacting to that -- making you part of the punchline."

"I’m freelance and would happily work with any of the involved parties -- it’s sort of a three-headed beast between Ubisoft, Obsidian and South Park, and all were very welcoming. I really needed to learn more about writing comedy -- I’ve never done it, nothing like what these guys do, and that exposure was very healthy for me."

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: That's the literal action he took in consulting on the project to-date, but I'm looking to the future. If not him, certainly somebody sees the long legs on this product for DLC.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is so, so good. So good, you guys. So good. It's the South Park game I wanted since the show began.

I'm super interested in seeing what the tail on this game will be like, considering the DLC option on the menu. I'd like to see them go old-school expansion pack and just add a bunch of quests and storylines. Might be a bit of a strain on Matt and Trey, though...

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bunnymud

Just finished the City Wok quest and the first main quest line. Fucking loving it. McDonalds style

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree with all the glowing reviews. Game is great. Not very far in, but I love everything about it so far.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brutushayesosu

Its great. I'm playing it in 1 hour chunks finding appropriate spots to save and quit. Its been everything I've been hoping for.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By djou

Played a few hours so far, but it's pretty great. Seriously... it looks exactly like the show. Playing it on the PC and the 1080 resolution looks as smooth as a bluray of the show. The character animations are spot on. As numerous people have mentioned I would love to see BL2 style DLC for this game, squeezing out episodes indefinitely, especially if they could port it to next gen.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bmccann42

Am very interested in playing, but have now sold off the 360 and PS3, and no Mac version as of yet (go ahead and laugh over that statement).

My hope is a next gen version being released sometime in the future, so here's hoping...

Edit - apparently I have the grammar of a 4 year old, so I made a few changes

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By MetalBaofu

Man...I really wish my copy from Gamefly showed up today. At least I've got Danganronpa to play.

Strike11249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great game with some of the best elements of South Park implemented in it. The only gripe I have with it is that I finished it (about 12 hours) and now I'm done. I want more!

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on PS3 and loving it with the dualshock 4, I hope I'm not missing any rumble functions.

Having a great time with it, I love that a big part of the game is fan service, another is a parody of RPG games, or games in general.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm also loving it so far. Just finished Day 2 and did the part where you fight the underpants gnomes on your parents bed, while they are having sex. Still can't believe there's a QT event involving you dodging your dad's hairy balls.

The combat mechanics are competent enough, also. Not great, but definitely good and fitting for the game's setting.

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eggshellskull
    MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By MikeJFlick

It's pretty fun, sadly I think the best bit is the combat though, which is not a bad thing, I was just expecting the opposite, I've always loved turned based RPG's and the inclusion of "quick time" actions to reward you spices it up, this is what Final Fantasy should of done after FFX Not this real time action crap which was the straw that broke my back with the series.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm a couple of hours in and it's really everything I could want from a South Park game.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: Oh God no!

Don't like Danganronpa? I'm enjoying it a good bit. Just finished the third chapter a few minutes ago.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm about 4 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. The combat's fun and it doesn't really drag down into a grindfest to continue. I've been progressing just fine without it, and that's about all I could ask when it comes to this type of game. As far as the humor, I think it's been okay to awesome so far. About everything I'd come to hope for for a game about South Park. It truly is one of the best licensed games ever made. Right up there with the Batman games in my opinion.

I also found Jesus playing this game.

We even became friends!
    We even became friends!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aviar said:

Absolutely loving it! I've been hoping for a South Park game like this ever since the N64 game and they finally were able to do it! There are so many old references that I am spending more time just enjoying all the old memories than the game itself (almost!).

I actually played the N64 multiplayer at alot.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm not even a huge fan of the show (I've seen all of the "Best of" episodes, and a smattering of others), but I'm enjoying it more than anything I've played in quite a long time. I'm glad I took a chance on it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

Didn't Matt and Trey say somewhere that they wanted the game to just be its own thing, and not have DLC because it just nickel and dimes people? That may have just been a random remark in an interview.

Or maybe I'm mixing that up with the time where they made fun of Smartglass during the Microsoft press conference. God, what a great E3 moment.

Loading Video...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By stonyman65

I'm loving it. A love letter to South Park fans sums it up pretty well.

Last night I spent about 3 hours just exploring the town. I'm not sure if that was the "right" way to do it since I'm getting gear that is 3-4 levels higher than I am so I can't even use it yet, but going around and exploring everything was fun. I'm only level 2 and haven't even completed the 2nd story quest yet.

Edit: I forgot to mention I had 2 problems so far. The scripting broke during the tutorial at the part where they teach you to counter moves. When the guy was on the ground and Cartman is supposed to tell you what to do that never happened and the game just sat there. It happened twice in a row but re-loading the game at the last checkpoint worked and I didn't have that issue again. Another weird problem I've had is that face/body textures sometimes pop in and out randomly, especially when characters are against a white background. It's kind of funky looking because you can still see the hair and eyes and whatever they are wearing, but their face/hands are completely transparent so it just looks like hair and eyes floating in the air.

MaverickWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MaverickWookie

I'm really enjoying it, short of the "spam S" to do something parts, I can't get it done without switching all the way down to casual. Other then that, it's amazing. Feels like the show. The end almost feels like it drags a bit, but I enjoyed it. The ending made me laugh and seemed like a totally South Park way to end it. Woah, just watched the trailer, did anyone run into the wilderness critters in the game, did I miss them!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm blown away.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just beat the game and I FUCKING MISSED SHOE. The only Chinpokomon I missed, and it was a missable one.

@maverickwookie They're in the game. You can get them as friends. hint: Right, up, Right, Down, Right in the woods. They don't appear to be a summon though. Also, no crab people fight that I saw. Could easily be DLC though.

I don't know how some people called that game "short" (kotaku said 10 hours). They must've just stuck to the main questline and missed out on everything pretty much. I spent 7 hours on day one alone. Looks like I spent 18 hours overall in one playthrough on normal. Did all the sidequests, and ALMOST got all the collectibles (DAMN YOU SHOE!)

Anyway, fantastic game. Lotta fun.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played a few hours so far but as a huge South Park fan I'm loving it. The attention to detail is pretty fantastic. I haven't even done many quests because I've just been going house to house looking at everything. The closets of the four main kids are just filled with references but Stan's closet is pretty great.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#37 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Beat the game, and I fucking loved it. I am missing 1 chinpokomon and I don't think I can get it now that the mall is back.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TruthTellah

It's really good. Not the most compelling gameplay, but a great vehicle for all the humor.

If you like South Park, you should get the game. It's a must play for any South Park fan.

Princess Kenny Kawaii desu neee~!! (。♥‿♥。)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's surprisingly good! It's a totally competent RPG based on a licensed property!

I'am really surprised. Looking forward to whatever the game throws at me and calling out my favorite south park references as they pop up.

MaverickWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really thought you'd be killing crab people, meeting that one in the sewers was funny "betrayer of humanity". Io

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonMFJohnson

I love how all the adults they fight still adhere to those fake fight rules the kids invented :).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Just completed the final boss battle this morning, and I have to say that this game is not optional if you're a South Park fan to any degree.

For anyone concerned about the length of the game, don't be. It took me about 15 hours (would've taken longer if I'd been a bit more careful in looking for collectibles) and the pace never let up and constantly surprises you with neat references to the show - even when you think you're at the end of the game, it will still do something totally out of left field to surprise you like sending you on a Lemmiwinks style adventure through Mr. Slave's ass to defuse a Snuke.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only a couple hours in but as a MASSIVE South Park fan, it has been one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in years. I haven't smiled this much in a long, long time.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BBOYS2231

I've only watched South Park for maybe the first 3 years or so that it was on. Do you think I'll still get some of the references and enjoy the game? Don't get me wrong I love South Park just got sidetracked in high school/college/life.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only watched South Park for maybe the first 3 years or so that it was on. Do you think I'll still get some of the references and enjoy the game? Don't get me wrong I love South Park just got sidetracked in high school/college/life.

I think I've seen a reference for every season there has been thus far so you'll probably pick up on some of them. But the game as far as I have played it as of right now doesn't rely on references to understand the game or get through it, it is PACKED with them, but at no point did I need to know any of them to get what was happening in the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Seppli

Super pissed... because of some shitty censoring kerfuffle South Park isn't available in my region as of yet. I've got my boxed copy and all, but Steam won't validate.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:
    @bboys2231 said:

I think I've seen a reference for every season there has been thus far so you'll probably pick up on some of them. But the game as far as I have played it as of right now doesn't rely on references to understand the game or get through it, it is PACKED with them, but at no point did I need to know any of them to get what was happening in the game.

Awesome news! Picking this up tomorrow. Can't wait. Thanks!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it. Hot damn, what a game. I think the back half of it may contain some of the most fucked up and/or hilarious material South Park has ever done.

I have a feeling this is a game I'll revisit time and again, just like a particularly good episode.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just one annoyance playing with mouse and keyboard: learning the second fart skill. the A and D buttons don't respond very well, causing a failure, and making the fart sift through Sir Douchebag's fingers. I need to find my wired controllers somewhere.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MetalBaofu

Started playing it today. Man...it's so good. To repeat what others have said, if you are a fan a South Park in any way you need to give the game a shot. Even more so if you are also a fan of RPGs. If you aren't a South Park fan, you may even still like the RPG/gameplay part, so it could be worth trying it out still. Everything about it just seems so well done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.