Do you find Spider-Man funny?

• 56 results
#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

So I really like the Spider-Mans sense of humour, always have since young watching his cartoons and reading his comics. The new Spidy game also has him cracking jokes, my dad walked in and Spider-Man said something I thought was funny but my dads response was "Was that supposed to be a joke?"

So do you find him funny or just really REALLY bad?

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

No. I find him mostly irritating.

#4 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

It depends. Like, when it was Tobey Maguire delivering the wisecracks, it was more cheesy (in a good way) than funny. But I find the jokes and banter that Bendis' writes for Spider-Man (especially in Ultimate Spider-Man) hilarious and amusing.

#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Not really. Never was a huge Spidey fan.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@TheFreeMan said:

It depends. Like, when it was Tobey Maguire delivering the wisecracks, it was more cheesy (in a good way) than funny. But I find the jokes and banter that Bendis' writes for Spider-Man (especially in Ultimate Spider-Man) hilarious and amusing.

One of the reasons I disliked those movies was that I felt Spider-Man never made any wisecracks during a fight scene, which is what Spider-Man is known for.

#7 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@TheFreeMan said:

One of the reasons I disliked those movies was that I felt Spider-Man never made any wisecracks during a fight scene, which is what Spider-Man is known for.

Yeah, I really can't remember many wisecracks from those movies, although, to be fair, the majority of the fights were, like, during hostage situations or the stakes were always really high or something so any jokes coulda came across as a little jarring, tone-wise.

What I mean to say is that in those movies, jokes were kind of only appropriate in the low-tension stuff, like beating up muggers or rescuing kids from car accidents. It's a legitimate complaint but not something that I had a problem with.

#8 Posted by colubroid (39 posts) -

I've always equated Spiderman with Woody Woodpecker. While Spidey isn't as annoying as Woody; he's far from funny.

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I know everyones been complaining about the new Spiderman coming out too soon after 3, but if you compare this with Batman Begins that came out 7 years after Batman and Robin its really about the same time frame.

#10 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -
@Anwar Thanks, I enjoyed that.
#11 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (476 posts) -

Spiderman is my favorite wise-cracking super hero (sorry JLA cartoon Flash, though he is firmly second). My favorite superheroes other than Spiderman is Batman and Ironman. Though is probably Spider Jerusalem is my favorite non-superhero comic character (can't think of any that would top him off the top of my head).

#12 Posted by TwoLines (2841 posts) -

Nope. I mean, I never read the comics, but the humour in the cartoon and in the video games... Yeah, it was annoying.

#13 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

While he does occasionally say something funny, he's mostly just kind of corny and annoying. But then again, that's kind of the point: Peter Parker is a huge dork who thinks awful jokes are funny, and whenever he makes wisecracks to villains, it's usually just to rile them up and taunt them away from civilians.

#14 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Anwar

only the first one is funny!

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I've never read the comics, besides a few issues of the Ultimate series, but I always assumed his sense of humour was supposed to be corny and kind of bad, that's part of the charm. It's one thing I think the new movie actually seems to be doing better than the originals.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@Anwar: Awesome. I love Spidey. When someone good is writing him he can be hilarious.

#17 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -
#18 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

He can be funny, but I more appreciate the humour because it is a battle tactic typically reserved for villains; that is, shit-talking and getting in your opponent's head.

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I enjoyed him in The Animated Series, he was quite good in that, especially when teamed with Wolverine.

#20 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

Spiderman is only funny when he gets his powers from the planet Spider.

#21 Posted by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

Funny for a teenage Spider-Man YES, but as an adult Spidey NOPE, more like a tool. Makes me think why the Avengers or the X-men want him on their team. I could see Wolverine/Hulk beating the crap out of him

#22 Edited by Eidderf (507 posts) -

Depends who's writing him I suppose, most of the time I enjoy his light-hearted approached to fighting crime though (not there he doesn't have his whiney moments) it's a nice contrast to a lot of the more brooding heroes out there.

#23 Posted by jewunit (1064 posts) -

It's kind of a weird question, so I have a weird answer. I don't think Spider-Man is funny, but I love that he cracks wise. My favorite version of Spider-Man is from the Silver Age comics and, in those comics, his life is a mess. Everyone is either scared of or angry at him as Spider-Man, he barely has time to study or make friends at school, and he has to help Aunt May pay the mortgage/rent on the house. The jokes are his way of coping with all of his frustrations in life. Most of them aren't laugh-out-loud funny, but I smile when I read them. It's a reminder that you should tackle life's frustrations with a smile rather than a frown.

#24 Posted by Svenzon (730 posts) -

He can be. Related question: if I were to buy a collected volume of Spidey comics, which one should I get?

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5969 posts) -

@Anwar said:

Yes, Spidey is funny.

That second scan was the only time I've ever laughed out loud while reading a comic. It just keeps going. Theres a few more panels on the next page even.

#26 Posted by Twinsun (495 posts) -

Not my kind of humour.

#27 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Svenzon: Brand new day is pretty good because it's not too old, plus its a small reboot of sorts so no need for long history.

#28 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

Think of Spider-Man as an internet troll. It's not him that's funny, it's the reactions he provokes out of others.

#29 Posted by Jolt92 (1585 posts) -

Yes, but it all depends on the writer of course.

#30 Posted by ZagZagovich (771 posts) -

It can be amusing but I never laughed at anything Spider-man related. Although I love how in one of those Marvel Zombies comics books he says it's more of a defence mechanism to help him deal with horrible things he has to face on the daily basis. It makes sense and gives more of a human side to the character.

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6715 posts) -

I prefer Deadpool's style of cracking wise, but Spiderm'n has his moments.

#32 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (323 posts) -

Not really, but I still really enjoy the character.

#33 Posted by laserbolts (5369 posts) -

Super annoying.

#34 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -

No. He feels like your uncle who was the funniest man on earth when you were ten but now that you've grown up you realise his jokes are not good, and he is probably mentally retarded.

#35 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@Anwar: God, I laugh every time at the Jean Grey/Spidey scan. USM was so good, man. 

I don't suppose you could explain what happens after Spidey activates the device on the last scan?
#36 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

It all depends on the writer.

#37 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

He's often cheesy, but I like the fact that he's beating the shit out of people and then cracking one-liners about how lame they are. Even when it's corny, he's like a douchebag you can cheer for.

#38 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

I've been a fan of Spider-man since I can remember, so I'm a little biased.

#39 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (500 posts) -

Most of the other comics I've read the hero is always so serious/angry/brooding. Ol Web Head is a nice change from all that. Sure it doesn't always hit the mark but it just adds to his character.

#40 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I prefer Deadpool's style of cracking wise, but Spiderm'n has his moments.

Pretty much this. I like it when the protagonist is basically trolling everyone.

#41 Posted by PenguinDust (12638 posts) -

From the comics? Not particularly, but at least he's less annoying than Deadpool. I never understood his attraction, but "sez each his own."

#42 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Depends, sometimes I love his brand of humor but if it's not well writ then it can be kind of lame.

#43 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

Depends who is writing his dialogue.

#44 Posted by ShrimpDino (78 posts) -

I do think Spiderman is funny

#45 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@Anwar said:

Yes, Spidey is funny.

These 3 are really funny. That last one is especially great.

#46 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Yup , I mean depends on who's doing the writting of course someone may turn him into a cheese factory, but overall he's pretty funny and I can't say anything bad about the web-head his my favorite superhero.

#47 Posted by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

I wouldn't say funny, Witty is probably a better description. Sometimes his comments make me smile, sometimes it doesn't, but it rarely makes me actually laugh.

#48 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@Anwar: Well apparently I find Spiderman quite funny.

#49 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Anwar said:

@TheFreeMan: I'm not familiar with Spider-Man except for Ultimate. The court scene is from She-Hulk iirc and the Galactus stuff is from a Marvel Adventures comic, but I'm not sure about that.

More comics for the humor god.

The Tony Stark one and the last one are incredible.
#50 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Anwar: I answered no, but then I looked at your post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.