Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split-Screen Multiplayer

Concept »

Sometimes, you want to play games with a real person who's sitting right next to you. These games have you covered.

Screen "cheating".

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

Call it whatever you like, screen looking, cheating, or  whatever, during split screen games is it legit to look at other players "screens" to find out where they are. My friends and I still regularly play halo 3 split screen and we still have the debate over if it is acceptable, mostly because I always do, and am quite good at it. I personally believe it is, since its an option available to everyone, and doesn't give anyone an advantage.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

If you screen peak, you a bitch. Plain and simple. 

But really, don't do it. It becomes unfair especially if you know the map better than the other player, then you can know their position just by a half second peak and give them an even greater disadvantage. After a while, having your opponent know where you are at all times is not fun.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee

I screen watch like a motherfucker since the days of Goldeneye. And my brother would beat on me for it.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

yah, i call it screen peaking and don't do it, i played alot of halo 2 with my neighbor and its hard not to, but just don't do it !

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Screen looking is bullshit.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By izzygraze

I used to play a lot of split screen with a friend of mine. Every once in a while we'd build a divider so we wouldn't screen look. It was a lot more fun when the other person didn't know where you are(especially if they're a good sniper >:(  ).

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By cstrang

Screen-looking is dirty practice.  Luckily, if I catch you doing it, you're within an arm's reach so I can beat the piss out of you.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Junpei

yea, I did it. Used to turn the 2 player screens to vertical divider in GoldenEye and put a piece of cardboard down the line. Turn off radar for some good times too. Ah, to be young again...

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By buzz_clik

The only time I ever play split screen with mates is when we've got 8 people (4 peeps per screen) playing Halo 3. We all still have the occasional glance, but if you look away too long, you've usually got a dude's gun barrel up your ass. No, that's not a euphemism, you sick monkey.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By landon

I think there is a strategy to be had with screen looking.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Screen peaking is complete bullshit. But I can't stop doing it... I mean, it's right in my face! Even looking at the floor tiles pretty much gives away your position. It's so hard not to.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DCFGS3

Yeah, I do it. Like someone said it's an advantage everyone has, and if someone knows the map better then they have an advantage anyway. Besides, you can't really look to see where they are and play your game.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By dethfish

I play split screen with my brothers a lot and they look at my screen all the time. I try doing it too but always get caught because I'm laughing the whole time.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    " If you screen peak, you a bitch.
    This.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By CharleyTony

I think this is exactly like grabbing in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. 

You are not supposed to do it, but once you spot the other guy doing it... you start doing it and kick his ass.. (in the game)
    Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hyuzen

I screenwatch. If i'm playing with just 2 or 3 people and its on a big map its nice to know which direction i should head in in order to have some action. but i try not to when they're really close by.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hamst3r

It's fair and what you get for playing a split screen game. If your friends don't want you screen peeking, then they can go lay in a pile of fluffy ducks and read Anne Rice while getting pedicure.
    NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NeoGecko

i think that its an unavoidable dynamic of the game, if both players do it, it can be fun.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By DanielJW
    @buzz_clik said:
    " ... if you look away too long, you've usually got a dude's gun barrel up your ass. No, that's not a euphemism, you sick monkey. "
    Disregarding the euphemism, it's just as inappropriate. I expect more class from you, sir! 

Also screen looking is only acceptable if everyone does it. All the people involved have to agree on whether you can or cannot. If everyone does it, the playing field is evened. If one dude does it, he gets a punch to the groin.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I screen peak like a bastard. I get a couple punches in the arm for it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Red

It's wrong, and no, it isn't fair.  
    If in Modern Warfare 2, you're playing as a run-and-gun, shoot dudes as loud as possible, type guy, it doesn't really matter whether someone looks at your screen or not. 
    However, it's nearly impossible to succeed as a sniper if someone screen-watches.

SlayerNoMercy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlayerNoMercy

o god hahahahaha i remember the good ol days of when there wasnt really any online multiplayer and u just had to play split screen multiplayer... many a sessions were ruined by screen looking... many fist fights too haha... screen looking is fucking gay. Thats it and thats all.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower

Man, if you gonna take the match seriously and get mad at the other person for peaking then just get another tv console and game. Other than that who cares, its a game play it for fun.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By jonnyboy

You are in the advantageous position of having that person sit next to you, you need to sort out this problem Old School style. Punch them in the eye.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CharleyTony
    @Seedofpower said:
    "Man, if you gonna take the match seriously and get mad at the other person for peaking then just get another tv console and game. Other than that who cares, its a game play it for fun. "

or go with the verticle split screen and a huge cardboard seperator  LOL !!!
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony
    @CharleyTony said:
    " I think this is exactly like grabbing in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.  You are not supposed to do it, but once you spot the other guy doing it... you start doing it and kick his ass.. (in the game) "
    Err what? Since when was throwing in a fighting something you're not supposed to do?
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CharleyTony
    @Symphony said:
    " @CharleyTony said:
    " I think this is exactly like grabbing in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.  You are not supposed to do it, but once you spot the other guy doing it... you start doing it and kick his ass.. (in the game) "
    Err what? Since when was throwing in a fighting something you're not supposed to do? "

Did you try to do this back in the arcades in the 90s ? In my area you didn't grab except if you want to get into a real fight. You grabbed a guy by accident and you had to excuse yourself and let his grab you back in order to get away with it with only getting insulted... 
    Yes this is pretty crazy I know.
    Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Themanohall

Screen looking is crap. /thread.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheFreeMan

Screen-looking is cheap as hell. That being said, my brothers and I all do it......and we somehow know when we're doing it so all it really does for us is bring us towards the same point on the map. Sometimes I screen-look when my brother is sniping and dodge his bullets on his screen, which is hilarious.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
    @CharleyTony said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " @CharleyTony said:
    Err what? Since when was throwing in a fighting something you're not supposed to do? "
    Did you try to do this back in the arcades in the 90s ? In my area you didn't grab except if you want to get into a real fight. You grabbed a guy by accident and you had to excuse yourself and let his grab you back in order to get away with it with only getting insulted... Yes this is pretty crazy I know. "
    Wowwww... That's ridiculous.

Back on topic,
    Hell yeah I screen-looked. I hated it so much though. Every time I would get behind in a match of Medal of Honor split screen, I would start complaining about my friend looking at my screen. And they did the same for me. Ah, man. It was so fun and so frustrating.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By fripplebubby

Screen peeking is a whole other strategy that people are (sadly) losing the skill of with more and more online play. Won't you help save the art?

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bubahula

screen peeking is for the bitch.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By maxszy
    @Seedofpower said:
    " Man, if you gonna take the match seriously and get mad at the other person for peaking then just get another tv console and game. Other than that who cares, its a game play it for fun. "
    My thoughts exactly. 

Its a part of playing a game coop/splitscreen and just how it goes. Play the game for fun, but I know... many do get really pissed.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I'm always on the move, if people want to screen look at me then they are just hurting themselves. 

And if you're camping, in SPLIT SCREEN! You don't deserve to play a vidjeo game.

brod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By brod

You guys are pussies - screen looking is one of the best things about local multiplayer. Needing to keep track of where other people are adds a layer of depth and skill that only enhances the experience. Learn to do it, teach your friends to do it, and learn to love it.

sethhollister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sethhollister

screen cheating is retarded and for retarded people, its not okay, because it totally gives the screen cheater an advantage my brother does it and its totally obvious he does. though he claims not, one time i even screen cheated to see if he screen cheats (just that one time)... i was behind him and there was no sounds to say i was behind him and i wasn't even looking at him (so he can't see me in peripheral vision, cause that's one of his excuses). Anyways, there was ABSOLUTELY NO reason for him to know i was there, and he stopped... turned around... and shot me. his excuse, He said he checks behind him constantly... Later on in the game, i hid in the best spot i could think of (no sounds, nobody EVER checks there, and no way for him to tell i was there) I screen cheated and watched him and he not ONCE looked behind him, THE ONLY TIME HE LOOKS BEHIND HIM IS WHEN IM BEHIND HIM. and not only that, but after a while of me watching him, he turned to the right and came to the spot and tried to shoot me. ALSO, one time is was him and my other bro, my other bro was on the top and he was on the bottom, i watched his eyes and they went up to the top of the screen, back down and then i watched his screen and he came straight to my other bro... later i watched my other bros eyes, it was straight on his screen and never went down.

for the people who like screen cheating and say, why not? Because there is no challenge, challenge for the other legit guy who doesn't screen cheat, which makes him even better at halo. THERE IS NO SKILL IN SCREEN CHEATING. in fact, i get worse stats.

for those who are with me, do you know anyway to catch and prove my brother is screen cheating... there is always an excuse, and sadly, some of the excuses are pretty good, please help me.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SexyToad

This topic is getting a bit heated.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't know, this has been a non-issue for a decade!

I totally did it when I actually did play splitscreen though, of course. Didn't help too much anyway.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LikeaSsur

Screen peaking is one of the most dishonorable things to do in a game.

If you try to justify it, remind me to never play a game with you. I've just associated you with kill stealers, non-revivers, and betrayers.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sockemjetpack

I did it when I was a younger man playing Goldeneye and Halo. I also stole money from the Monopoly bank. Do I do it now? No. Do I regret doing it then? Nope. Will I ever do it again? Perhaps.

@DanielJW said:

Also screen looking is only acceptable if everyone does it. All the people involved have to agree on whether you can or cannot. If everyone does it, the playing field is evened. If one dude does it, he gets a punch to the groin.

Also this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider screen-peeking to be bad form, but not cheating. That said......I screen peeked like a bitch. :D

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zella

It depends, if you just notice that the other player has a certain gun or you immediately recognize where he is I say it's excusable. However looking for any longer than a second is being a dick. It also depends on how big the display is, playing on a 20" tv makes it tough to not notice the other screen, while playing on a 60" screen is easy to focus only on your screen.

PWC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother does this to me! I wanna strangle him because it is so annoying! I don't want to play bo3 anymore because of him! He always begs me to play with him or else I'll get into trouble! I just wanna play online! Can somebody help me out and give me some advice?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By monetarydread

If both players have equal opportunities to look at eachothers screen then it is a balanced tactic that should be considered fair play..

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Please don't bump old threads without good reason. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.