Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

EA gets Pwned by Downloaders

• 67 results
    TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

So EA has responded to the uproar of the Spore DRM saying:
    "You can install the game on three computers - at your office, at home or for your family. What you can't do is make and distribute a thousand copies online," added Sughayer."

Meanwhile internet reports suggest that Spore is headed for becoming the most downloaded game of all time on Torrent sites, having apparently already soared past 500,000 downloads. Ouch.

Hilarious. I guess that Spore DRM really took care of the piracy issue.

banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By banzai_nl

Hey, at least I bought it, like most NORMAL people do..

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vaxadrin

If you torrent the game, though, don't you then not have access to the index of user generated content?  That seems to be the whole point of the game.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo
    Vaxadrin said:
    "If you torrent the game, though, don't you then not have access to the index of user generated content?  That seems to be the whole point of the game."

Nope, I tried :P
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By suneku

ouch... looks like they're going to have to find a new way to battle piracy.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vaxadrin
    suneku said:
    "ouch... looks like they're going to have to find a new way to battle piracy."
    Console exclusivity. :P
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

This sends a good message, I was thinking before that the drm is hurting them far more than helping. Now it definately is.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HazBazz
    99X said:
    "So EA has responded to the uproar of the Spore DRM saying:
    "You can install the game on three computers - at your office, at home or for your family. What you can't do is make and distribute a thousand copies online," added Sughayer."

Meanwhile internet reports suggest that Spore is headed for becoming the most downloaded game of all time on Torrent sites, having apparently already soared past 500,000 downloads. Ouch.

Hilarious. I guess that Spore DRM really took care of the piracy issue."
    How can you possibly be happy about this? The more a game gets pirated, the less chance we have of seeing a sequel.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZeroCast

Next Up: GTA IV PC.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Terrell

People who pirate games shouldn't be permitted to play games. And the people who celebrate those who pirate games should join them in their non-gaming solitude

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    Terrell said:
    "People who pirate games shouldn't be permitted to play games."
    People who employ DRM shouldn't be given money.
    duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By duxup

I don't plan on pirating, but I'm not going to shed a tear for EA over this.   EA made its own bed.  Illegal or not they should find a way that actually encourages people in a positive manner to buy it and not shaft people who do .  It's even more ridiculous as there are DRM and digital distribution systems like Steam that work and people are happy use.  If Spore were on Steam I'd have bought it.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tekmojo
    duxup said:
    "I don't plan on pirating, but I'm not going to shed a tear for EA over this.   EA made its own bed.  Illegal or not they should find a way that actually encourages people in a positive manner to buy it and not shaft people who do .  It's even more ridiculous as there are DRM and digital distribution systems like Steam that work and people are happy use.  If Spore were on Steam I'd have bought it.

"
    agreed
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, I knew there were some pretty solid cracked copies out there already but I had no idea of anything on this scale. Still, with so much illegal distribution it's not hard to understand why EA are using DRM to hang onto every legal customer they can get.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Terrell
    Meowayne said:
    "Terrell said:
    "People who pirate games shouldn't be permitted to play games."
    People who employ DRM shouldn't be given money."
    I honestly don't understand what the big deal is, especially with something like this (actually, SPECIFICALLY with something like this, because this model doesn't work for anything, but I think it works here).  I mean, if it keeps casual pirates from making 35 copies of the game, than thats a good thing for both you and the people who make the game. It keeps the cost down, which helps you, unless you want to start paying $500 a game?

now the people who pirate and put it up and download off of torrent sites, yeah, they are probably going to do it anyway, but it is not easy to know how to do that stuff, and those people are going to sit up all night trying to figure that stuff out anyway, so ofcourse the DRM doesn't really affect them, but I still applaud EA for putting it in there.  It's just crazy to me that people are complaining about how they only get 3 installs before they have to call (mind you, they don't have to pay to call or get more installs, they just want to make sure you aren't pirating).  And honestly, a GREAT MAJORITY of the people who are complaining about multiple installs (1) don't have mulitple computers to install it on. (2) Would jus tplay the game through on their first install and that would be that, and wouldn't un-install it unless of an emergency, and (3) Even in an emergency, most of those people wouldn't re-install it anyway... 

My opinion: I think people just like to complain about something whenever they can, and this just happens to be it.  I mean I havent played Spore yet, so I can't directly comment on its quality, but it amazes me that people won't give this game a chance at all, simply based on the fact that it is trying to add in some BASIC security functions.   DRM isn't going away, and people need to realize that it is actually a good thing.
    Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pleasureizmine

ROFL anyone have the system requirements handy?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
    Terrell said:
    "DRM isn't going away, and people need to realize that it is actually a good thing."
    I disagree. DRM is doing nothing more than punishing people who actually purchase games. It's silly. DRM does nothing because pirates will get the game anyway. There's no point in DRM and it drives some customers away. Although I am all for stopping piracy, DRM is not the solution, they need to come up with better methods to stop piracy.

Although, I do agree that most of the people are using excuses, a lot of people upgrade their PCs regularly, so only allowing three installs and having to take the time to call EA is a needless step that they have to go through.

I think Cliff Harris has the best idea to combat piracy:
    As a result of what I found, I'm changing the way I make and sell my games. I already dropped some prices, and will keep future games cheaper, I abandoned copy-protection on all my games the next day, and resolved to work harder than ever before to make the best games that I can. I went from being demoralised and depressed by pirates to being motivated and encouraged by them. I asked them what they thought, then listened. Given the inability of big media companies to do either, I think I suddenly found my competitive advantage.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Meowayne said:
    "People who employ DRM shouldn't be given money."
    I agree.  That's why I never use iTunes.  All the other sites I use let me keep the mp3's after I buy them, and do whatever.  With iTunes, the one album I bought it wouldn't let me convert to mp3, so I burned it to a CD, then ripped it to mp3, then cancelled my iTunes account.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demilich
    ZeroCast said:
    "Next Up: GTA IV PC."
    I will have zero regrets pirating this seeing as I wasted money on the PS3 version.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZeroCast
    Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    I will have zero regrets pirating this seeing as I wasted money on the PS3 version."
    Wasted your money ? Why ? What's wrong with the PS3 version ?
    DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeadlyPain

it was a good idea - drum sucks, but in terms of sales its the right thing to do, they'll more then likely remove it when they meet there Quota etc.....

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Demilich
    ZeroCast said:
    "Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    I will have zero regrets pirating this seeing as I wasted money on the PS3 version."
    Wasted your money ? Why ? What's wrong with the PS3 version ?"
    If I had known there would be a PC version so soon I'd have waited. Mods, better graphics, higher resolution, recording, ease of use and superior multiplayer are all reasons why I shouldn't have bought the PS3 version.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    "Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    If I had known there would be a PC version so soon I'd have waited. Mods, better graphics, higher resolution, recording, ease of use and superior multiplayer are all reasons why I shouldn't have bought the PS3 version."
    That and the game generally being under-par with its god-game complex the hype gave it - and the poor online multiplayer
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaxadrin

At least it had an Oscar-worthy story.

:(

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZeroCast
    Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    "Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    If I had known there would be a PC version so soon I'd have waited. Mods, better graphics, higher resolution, recording, ease of use and superior multiplayer are all reasons why I shouldn't have bought the PS3 version."
    Add to that 18 GB of hard disk space ,optimization for PC controls & the Xbox 360 controller  and you've got yourself PC Game Of The Year right there.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xruntime

Piracy will be solved once people make good games for good prices with scalable requirements and lots of content.

Look at Team Fortress 2 - the piracy rate must be like .001%. Because its a fucking good game for a good price with lots of content.

You're in a business, developers, and poor quality doesn't sell. Maybe on the consoles, but not on the PC.

Piracy is bad - but you can't stop it. Get it through your heads. More people will not pirate it if they have an incentive to buy the game.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#27  Edited By Forcen

The DRM thing is horrible, i bought the damn game and they are treating my like i pirated the game. All the pirates has no problems installing the game.

My dream would be if the game would be added on Steam, to be sold or activated by serial key.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Demilich

Agreed with xruntime. Valve games have such low piracy rate because they're worth buying. Blizzard has the same thing going on too. Create an online community you want to be a part of and people won't pirate.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaxadrin

Valve also understands that PC gamers love convenience.  That's why Steam is so successful.  DRM is horribly inconvenient.  I've been using no CD cracks for games I legitimately bought for a decade simply because I shouldn't have to put a disc in every time I want to play something that's entirely on the hard drive.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK

ha ha. how oh so very ironic

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ZeroCast
    xruntime said:
    "Piracy will be solved once people make good games for good prices with scalable requirements and lots of content.

Look at Team Fortress 2 - the piracy rate must be like .001%. Because its a fucking good game for a good price with lots of content.

You're in a business, developers, and poor quality doesn't sell. Maybe on the consoles, but not on the PC.

Piracy is bad - but you can't stop it. Get it through your heads. More people will not pirate it if they have an incentive to buy the game."
    What makes you think those exact specifications are not the ones that will make the game pirated even more ?

People who pirate games don't even bother with Mutliplayer because they know they won't be able to play online, but a game like COD4 is: accessible Online,has scalable requirements and it's a good game.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xruntime

Pirates can play online. Ever hear of cracked servers? They exist.

There is NO game out there that cannot be pirated. Fact. World of Warcraft has been pirated a lot - but no one cares about it because they still have 15 million paying subscribers.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Demilich
    xruntime said:
    "Pirates can play online. Ever hear of cracked servers? They exist.

There is NO game out there that cannot be pirated. Fact. World of Warcraft has been pirated a lot - but no one cares about it because they still have 15 million paying subscribers."
    Of course you can play on private servers, but with games like WoW you're paying to be part of the community.
    Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Riddler

Good.

Stick it to em
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I bet there's people that downloaded the game 50 times just to prove a point.

IF you can't access created content, then you aren't getting the full game. That's like playing a demo, basically.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Cool i hope EA learns its leasson!!
    Now start making games for free!

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Terrell
    Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    Then you are part of the problem.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Demilich
    Terrell said:
    "Demilich said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    Then you are part of the problem."
    Cool story bro.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead

I fully support the pirates in this case simply because stuff like DRM just doesn't not work and ends up punishing the consumer base the company should be targetting.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZeroCast
    xruntime said:
    "Pirates can play online. Ever hear of cracked servers? They exist.
    That's why i mentioned COD4 as an example runtime, private servers are every where but a game like TF2 will not attract pirates since those cracked servers are not popular nor good enough
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    xruntime said:
    "Piracy will be solved once people make good games for good prices with scalable requirements and lots of content.

Piracy is bad - but you can't stop it. Get it through your heads. More people will not pirate it if they have an incentive to buy the game."
    ....or because it's an online game.
    DRooPZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By DRooPZ
    Serves them right for trying to treat the user like a criminal.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By BigBoss1911

This also ownes people who dont think Pc gaming is dieing.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By clarke0

Unfortunately I think this will just further encourage EA to use more draconian DRM in future games. EA needs to put their games on Steam. I bet Crysis: Warhead will sell a lot more because it's on Valve's amazing service.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By VACkillers

lol @ the first post..... 500,000 eh? 

DRM sucks... plain and simple..... but this is the way things are going to go.... best security is online security really.... just look at all MMOs... when things are recorded and files sent to and from online servers to your machine, picking out ilegal copies becomes increasingly very easy heh... by the next generation of games im guessing almost all games will have some kind of online secure in place, like, some of the important content, you'll need to be online to get it.... and you'll have to have legit copies in order to get that...

thats my opinion anyway

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demilich

Where's Jeff to voice his opposition?

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By OGCartman

Rofl pwnt

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Discorsi
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I bet there's people that downloaded the game 50 times just to prove a point.
    IF you can't access created content, then you aren't getting the full game. That's like playing a demo, basically.
    "
    uh yes you can.  You can manually add stuff from the sporepedia or you can torrent packs of creatures. 
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By coakroach

I brought it
    Copies always fail for me and Malaysia internet is hella slow

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.