Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

My faith in Square Enix is dead.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lucas_kelly

I want the old Square Enix back, the old company that settled for nothing less than quality. There was a time when every game they made was to the best of their ability but now they pump out rushed games like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant. They need to get back to their roots and start making some decent JRPG's with big production values.
    My faith now lies in Mistwalker, a company reminiscent of what Square Enix use to be. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well, the only one product that Square Enix seems to take that philosophy to is Final fantasy.

All the others just may not be done by the same team that does FF, so you get mixed results. (think CoD4, and Cod5).

TalahRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TalahRama

I was actually having this same conversation with two of my friends yesterday.  I remember the glory days of Squaresoft, that being the SNES and the Playstation One.  It seemed like every game that came out in those generations by them was a must own.  But for me the begining of the end of that was FFX it was the last playable game Square ever made.  Its gotten to the point where im pretty much uninterested in anything they do now when it use to be id scour the internet for news and videos of their new games.  Its a bizarre feeling to have.

Then comes this generation.  I was really excited to hear Square was making some new games for Xbox 360 (some being exclusive) but after watching a bunch of video reviews of I.U. and seeing all the recent media on Last Remnant I really get the feeling that Square has fallen off.  I dont think its a coinsodence that there games started becoming bland and lifeless around the time Hironobu left with his team to form Mistwalker.  We havent seen much on FFXIII besides cinemas and really brief battle clips but im sure that will at least be worth owning.  But thats exactly whats wrong with the company, they make a few games at once but it seems like the only one they give a shit about is FF.  They have all these great oppurtunities to create something new and different from their FF series and they turn out being run of the mill at best.  Maybe all they know how to make are FF games now.

Im really holding out hope that they wont get too involved in the new Star Ocean game and just let Tri-Ace do its thing cause that still has a chance at being great.  But if its not at least I have Mistwalker to count on for JRPGs, cause Hironobu is not fucking around.  Lost Oddyssey was the best JRPG ive played in a good 5 years.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By atejas

FFX-2 was the first game they made after Sakaguchi left, right?
    Makes sense.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Kazona

I lost faith in Square back when they released FF X

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    lucas_kelly said:
    "I want the old Square Enix back, the old company that settled for nothing less than quality. There was a time when every game they made was to the best of their ability but now they pump out rushed games like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant. They need to get back to their roots and start making some decent JRPG's with big production values.
    My faith now lies in Mistwalker, a company reminiscent of what Square Enix use to be. "
    Square Enix always was and always will be a fanservice whore. What you want back is Squaresoft, and I agree.

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By code305

i heard they are stating a headquarters in USA. I wish they dont mess up the Final fantasy series as well

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Axersia

Important to note:

• Infinite Undiscovery was developed by tri-Ace, and Square Enix doesn't even own the rights to the IP--Microsoft does.
    • The Last Remnant was doomed from the start; Japanese companies shouldn't try to create RPGs specifically for the Western audience. At least, I don't think that's what anyone wants. I like my Japanese RPGs to be Japanese.
    • Square Enix has no involvement in the development of SO4; they just thought it would be a good idea to put their name in the trailer.
    • Final Fantasy X-2 was developed and originally published by Squaresoft. Only when it was localized was it released under the Square Enix name. All that getting bought by Enix did was give them more money, but it was mostly Squaresoft employees that took up leadership roles in Square Enix. So stop giving shit to Enix--the company that saved your precious Squaresoft from going bankrupt from their own stupid mistakes.

Now, I didn't play RPGs "back in the day," and my first Squaresoft game was Kingdom Hearts. I love KH, but I'm not a big fan of Squaresoft's older work. Seiken Densetsu 3 was great (and a lot better than Secret of Mana, btw; it's a shame they never localized it), Chrono Trigger was alright (considering how late I played this though, there was no way it could still blow my mind), and the FF series... Well, I'm not a big fan of FF because I prefer gameplay over story.

FFXII is actually my favorite in the series despite it having an absolute crap story (I can't remember any of it), but the gameplay was alright--and that game was created post-buyout/merger. I also have 3 FF games I'm currently looking forward to. Do I care they all carry the FF name? No, I don't give a damn as long as they're good games. For new IPs I'll just play whatever Level-5's making (they're cranking them out like crazy lately). I'm also looking forward to 2 KH games--as well as the Dragon Quest ports and DQ9 (of course, this wasn't originally a Squaresoft IP, and none of them are developed/ported in-house, but still...)

So for me, Square Enix is a better company now than it was as Squaresoft. And it's not because I don't like SNES/PS1 RPGs or anything--there are plenty I like (Dragon Quest series, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Breath of Fire series, Lufia series, and Grandia to name a few).

There just seems to be a lot of unjustified hate for this company. Sure, their outsourced games (which make up a good chunk of their games nowadays) don't always turn out so great, but nobody's forcing you to buy them. For all their in-house games you can still expect a certain level of quality.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I loved old Sqaure, Mario rpg anyone? FF7, Chrono Trigger, they just seem to have lost there touch, maybe they'll find it again : )

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By dj

Until I play FFXIII I will still have some faith in them. They take their time and make really good RPG's. I can play other games while I wait for them to get finished so I got no issues.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    Axersia said:
    "There just seems to be a lot of unjustified hate for this company. Sure, their outsourced games (which make up a good chunk of their games nowadays) don't always turn out so great, but nobody's forcing you to buy them. For all their in-house games you can still expect a certain level of quality.
    "
    They produce and develop what are widely considered to be crappy games. Sounds justified to me.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By chililili
    Jayge said:
    "Axersia said:
    "There just seems to be a lot of unjustified hate for this company. Sure, their outsourced games (which make up a good chunk of their games nowadays) don't always turn out so great, but nobody's forcing you to buy them. For all their in-house games you can still expect a certain level of quality.
    "
    They produce and develop what are widely considered to be crappy games. Sounds justified to me."
    Well since I don't own a 360 I have missed out on all of these crappy games, and stil think well of them, perhaps the last remnant will be fixed and made worthwhile for the ps3, but i still have high hopes for FF.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By atejas

People say FFXII actually wasn't that bad, but X-2 was a hysterical abomination. Then again, my favourite was X, so colour me biased.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    atejas said:
    "FFX-2 was the first game they made after Sakaguchi left, right?
    Makes sense."
    Nah i think you can tell Sakaguchi was geting smaller and smaller actual roles and work in the company right around FF7s release and thereafter specially with the spirits within debacle which wasn't a debacle since that movie was fine as long as you didn't go in thinking of a final fantasy movie though that was the fault of square for naming it final fantasy.

As per the topic at hand, I lost faith in Square long ago when i first played and beat FF7 it was just downhill from there the only keynote was tactics.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

what? square hasn't even developed that many games since the PS3 and 360 came out. If anything we should be bitching about the ridiculous amount of remakes they've been milking us, but even those remakes are some high ass quality games (and VC/PSN/XBLA games). Just look back at Square's developed games, they haven't released anything they've developed that was a high profile game since FF12. I personally thought FF12 wasn't up to the old FF standards, but it was still pretty good. I personally liked Infinite Undiscovery, but it wasn't developed by Square, only marketed and published. They just slapped their logo on it for suckers to buy since most will see "oh it's square's name, must be good." I haven't played Last Remnant yet so I can't comment, but I doubt its as bad as everyone says, and I doubt anyone saying it sucks right now has even played more then an hour of it. At least they're trying to do something for the western market, people bitch about how jp companies don't give a crap about us, but here's square trying to appeal to western players and giving us simutaneous releases.

TalahRama said:

"Im really holding out hope that they wont get too involved in the new Star Ocean game and just let Tri-Ace do its thing cause that still has a chance at being great.  But if its not at least I have Mistwalker to count on for JRPGs, cause Hironobu is not fucking around.  Lost Oddyssey was the best JRPG ive played in a good 5 years."
    Play Infinite Undiscovery, if you don't like that game then you'd better hope Square does take over the new SO game.

Jayge said:
    "Axersia said:
    "
    They produce and develop what are widely considered to be crappy games. Sounds justified to me."
    interesting, can you name me games they've developed that were widely considered crappy games?
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure

Amazing posts there Axersia and suneku, only people in the thread to actually throw out some of the facts. A lot of people do not seem to understand those though, unfortunately. Another for the record, Last Remnant is the only game Square themselves have actually developed on the 360/PS3 this gen (unless you are wanting to count FFXI, which was a PC and PS2 game before obviously).

Still, it bothers me how much people don't understand how few games SE has developed this gen, take a look at the last bombcast, Ryan said he would enjoy Last Remnant as much as he enjoyed the last few things SE offered on 360 "Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon". I almost shit myself when I heard that since Square didn't develop either of those only published one and had absolutely nothing to do with the other. The Square hate this gen is nothing new, people hate popular things it happens to everything (look at Halo as a prime example as it is exactly the same thing). 

I have said in the past my own opinion on the current state of the FF series so saying that again is useless, I just find it depressing how many of the actual facts people don't seem to know as very apparent in this thread.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By atejas
    Zenaxzd said:
     Last Remnant is the only game Square themselves have actually developed on the 360/PS3 this gen
    This is true, and most of their other games have been fine. I mean, TWEWY was great and Dissidia looks awesome.
    But I still feel Mistwalker have overshadowed them, now that they have Uematsu(kind of) and Sakaguchi, not to mention quite a few others.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Wait, and the Last Remnant spurred this?
    THe Last Remnant is the first good game that they've developed since like... well last gen. 

And hell, what other rpg have they actually developed this gen?  IU is Tri-Ace and I don' think anyone counts  their casual stuff.
    Last Remnant is very underrated

I agree with the others that Mistwalker is the better dev for JRPGs this generation.  That being said, FF13 is obviously going to kick everything else's ass

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
    atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:
     Last Remnant is the only game Square themselves have actually developed on the 360/PS3 this gen
    This is true, and most of their other games have been fine. I mean, TWEWY was great and Dissidia looks awesome.
    But I still feel Mistwalker have overshadowed them, now that they have Uematsu(kind of) and Sakaguchi, not to mention quite a few others."
    My personal opinion about Mistwalker is still mixed. I definately feel they are no where near as great as Square this gen (but then its hard to compare since SE has really made no "next-gen PS3/360 titles"), especially after making Blue Dragon which I find to be one of the worst RPGs ever made. LO on the other hand has been great what I got to play of it, a lot of care seem to went into the production values as well which I think is really key in an RPG.

I am more than happy Sakaguchi is gone, personally. Something happened with that guy since he broke Square's bank and a lot of the stuff he works on now seems to be less than good. The only real thing I feel Mistwalker has over SE personally is Nobuo's music. I sorely missed wonderful music in FFXII and am sure I will hate not having him on board in XIII (then again blue dragon had some crappy music overall I thought which I found really weird).
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm going to cross my fingers for Chrono Break.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Zenaxzd said:
    "atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:
    But I still feel Mistwalker have overshadowed them, now that they have Uematsu(kind of) and Sakaguchi, not to mention quite a few others."
    My personal opinion about Mistwalker is still mixed. I definately feel they are no where near as great as Square this gen (but then its hard to compare since SE has really made no "next-gen PS3/360 titles"), especially after making Blue Dragon which I find to be one of the worst RPGs ever made. LO on the other hand has been great what I got to play of it, a lot of care seem to went into the production values as well which I think is really key in an RPG.

I am more than happy Sakaguchi is gone, personally. Something happened with that guy since he broke Square's bank and a lot of the stuff he works on now seems to be less than good. The only real thing I feel Mistwalker has over SE personally is Nobuo's music. I sorely missed wonderful music in FFXII and am sure I will hate not having him on board in XIII (then again blue dragon had some crappy music overall I thought which I found really weird).
    "

Blue Dragon is an awesome game. 
    If you're  a true die-hard jrpg fan and like anime, you'll absolutely love it.

And if you say you like DQ but not BD, you're in denial about something.

And again, BD had crappy music?  What?  The only thing you can actually hit on that game in terms of music is the repetitive boss battle music.

-----------> And as far as the FF series go.  12 was a dud, but really only because it felt like a different game.  It should have been a different series.  It's more similar to the Last Remnant than the FF series imo.  FF10 was the last one before that and it was awesome.  10-2 was okay, but I doubt it was a large effort (direct sequels never tend to be). 
    And FF13 looks to draw its inspirtations from FF7 and 8
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas
    Zenaxzd said:

"
    Eh, I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I like Lost Odyssey better than any FF I've played. Then again, I have yet to play VI, VIII, and IX.
    Lost Odyssey is, in fact, my favourite jrpg. I know.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZenaxPure
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Blue Dragon is an awesome game. 
    If you're  a true die-hard jrpg fan and like anime, you'll absolutely love it.

And if you say you like DQ but not BD, you're in denial about something.

And again, BD had crappy music?  What?  The only thing you can actually hit on that game in terms of music is the repetitive boss battle music."
    Wow, this is exactly like the last thread that came up about this: People telling other people their opinion is wrong. I absolutely love it!

Anyway, no.

• I am a die hard RPG fan (not so much on the anime) and I found the game to be mediocre. Aside from the story nothing was really wrong with it but I found the rest of it to be standard RPG stuff, what I would expect from a SNES RPG.
    • I am not fond of Dragon Quest in the least really, a lot of the same problems as Blue Dragon in my opinion to be quite honest. Granted I actually can see myself playing through some of them unlike Blue Dragon fully (played maybe 6 or 7 hours worth enough of the game to see the path the game is going down)
    • No, I do not find the music enjoyable very much. Don't get me wrong it has some good tunes in it, but a lot of the stuff just doesn't have the same feeling to me as some of his other works.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure
    atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:

"
    Eh, I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I like Lost Odyssey better than any FF I've played. Then again, I have yet to play VI, VIII, and IX.
    Lost Odyssey is, in fact, my favourite jrpg. I know."
    Which is cool I am glad you like it more than the FF games. I still find FFXII to be better than what I have played of LO, but its still cool, nothing wrong with it.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suneku
    atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:

"
    FFIX is easily my favorite Sakaguchi game of all time, it has many homages to his old school FF games. Blue Dragon sucked, LO was good. That's about all Mistwalker has right now so I have no high hopes for them.

For the record, UEMATSU is doing FF13 music, but he's co-composing it. Still, whenever he co-composes, it still turns out to be classical Uematsu music.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZenaxPure
    suneku said:
    "atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:

"
    FFIX is easily my favorite Sakaguchi game of all time, it has many homages to his old school FF games. Blue Dragon sucked, LO was good. That's about all Mistwalker has right now so I have no high hopes for them.

For the record, UEMATSU is doing FF13 music, but he's co-composing it. Still, whenever he co-composes, it still turns out to be classical Uematsu music."
    Hmm really on the co-composing it? I could of swore he was only doing the theme again. Still if that is the case then fuck yea that restores a lot of my hope in the quality of the music being up there again. (Also, man I totally love FFIX myself, I just replayed it earlier this year and keep getting the urge to do it again. That ending scene gets me in tears of joy everytime).
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By suneku
    Zenaxzd said:
    "suneku said:
    "atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:

"

For the record, UEMATSU is doing FF13 music, but he's co-composing it. Still, whenever he co-composes, it still turns out to be classical Uematsu music."
    Hmm really on the co-composing it? I could of swore he was only doing the theme again. Still if that is the case then fuck yea that restores a lot of my hope in the quality of the music being up there again. (Also, man I totally love FFIX myself, I just replayed it earlier this year and keep getting the urge to do it again. That ending scene gets me in tears of joy everytime)."

Actually now that you mention it, I think he is only doing the theme. I might have mixed this up with something else, my bad.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas

One thing I will say about LO is that the final boss music is VERY hit-or-miss.
    Especially the chanting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbeGTgt0RWQ

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZenaxPure
    suneku said:"
    "Actually now that you mention it, I think he is only doing the theme. I might have mixed this up with something else, my bad."
    Wikipedia claims he is only doing the theme, oh well though was nice to have some hope for the music there for a second. I just have not enjoyed much of what the other guy has worked on in terms of music.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By atejas
    Zenaxzd said:
    "suneku said:"
    "Actually now that you mention it, I think he is only doing the theme. I might have mixed this up with something else, my bad."
    Wikipedia claims he is only doing the theme, oh well though was nice to have some hope for the music there for a second. I just have not enjoyed much of what the other guy has worked on in terms of music."
    Who's doing the composition now anyway?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
    suneku said:
    "interesting, can you name me games they've developed that were widely considered crappy games?"
    The Last Remnant is apparently broken, infinite Undiscovery was considered bad enough to drop the price by 50% before it had even been out for 3 weeks, people who've played the second Star Ocean port for the PSP say they fudded up the graphics badly. FFT:A2 was dull and boring (especially compared to the first one). FFCC: My Life as King isn't even worth mentioning. Chrono Trigger DS somehow managed to get fucked up graphics-wise in the port too. And most of their other minor releases aren't even worth bothering to list, being either random ports or re-releases.

I would mention Kingdom Hearts but that's a rather mixed bag.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By suneku

one of square's other composers, Masashi Hamauzu. He's done a decent amount of work for square, though none of them are up to Uematsu standards IMO. Hamauzu did work on FFX with Uematsu though.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By suneku
    Jayge said:
    "suneku said:
    "interesting, can you name me games they've developed that were widely considered crappy games?"
    The Last Remnant is apparently broken, infinite Undiscovery was considered bad enough to drop the price by 50% before it had even been out for 3 weeks, people who've played the second Star Ocean port for the PSP say they fudded up the graphics badly. FFT:A2 was dull and boring (especially compared to the first one). FFCC: My Life as King isn't even worth mentioning. Chrono Trigger DS somehow managed to get fucked up graphics-wise in the port too. And most of their other minor releases aren't even worth bothering to list, being either random ports or re-releases."
    half the stuff you listed arent even developed by square.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
    suneku said:
    "Jayge said:
    "suneku said:
    The Last Remnant is apparently broken, infinite Undiscovery was considered bad enough to drop the price by 50% before it had even been out for 3 weeks, people who've played the second Star Ocean port for the PSP say they fudded up the graphics badly. FFT:A2 was dull and boring (especially compared to the first one). FFCC: My Life as King isn't even worth mentioning. Chrono Trigger DS somehow managed to get fucked up graphics-wise in the port too. And most of their other minor releases aren't even worth bothering to list, being either random ports or re-releases."
    half the stuff you listed arent even developed by square."
    Haha read my original post Suneku, I know you're better than that. I said developed or published. They're responsible for any of the projects that their name is on anyway. They put out crappy shit.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By atejas
    suneku said:
    "one of square's other composers, Masashi Hamauzu. He's done a decent amount of work for square, though none of them are up to Uematsu standards IMO. Hamauzu did work on FFX with Uematsu though."
    Oh, that explains the reactions to X's soundtrack.
    I love it though.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By suneku

yes but my response you quoted refers to developed games only.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Jayge said:
    "suneku said:
    "Jayge said:
    "suneku said:
    half the stuff you listed arent even developed by square."
    Haha read my original post Suneku, I know you're better than that. I said developed or published. They're responsible for any of the projects that their name is on anyway. They put out crappy shit."
    To you maybe, I highly disagree but I know you are not one to respect opinions so anyway... I am not going to call Square little angels or anything but if I was in their position I would throw my name on something I have nothing do with as well because they known years ago they (like other big companies (I'm looking at you Nintendo)) can put their name on something, no matter the quality, to get it sold.

That said though, they really have nothing to do with the quality of half those products you listed since as suneku pointed out they didn't devlop them, only slapped their name on them for cash and advertising.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZenaxPure
    atejas said:
    "suneku said:
    "one of square's other composers, Masashi Hamauzu. He's done a decent amount of work for square, though none of them are up to Uematsu standards IMO. Hamauzu did work on FFX with Uematsu though."
    Oh, that explains the reactions to X's soundtrack.
    I love it though."
    Indeed, have to agree with you I quite like the soundtrack as well especially the opening piano piece. One of my favorite tunes in the series actually.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By mracoon

Last Remnant looks quite good.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jayge_
    suneku said:
    "yes but my response you quoted refers to developed games only."
    My Life as King, FFTA2, The Last Remnant, the Chrono Trigger port, basically 66% of that list I made are listed as developed by Square Enix. And I didn't bother listing FFX-2 or FFXII either, although those were terrible.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By suneku

well I guess that's a decent list, I doubt you've even touched Last Remnant though. If you're going to include ports in the list of crappy games they've made, I could easily name at least 3 ports that are excellent. Now on to FFX-2 and FF12, those are subjective to your opinion. Besides it not being up to Final Fantasy standards, what's so bad about those 2 games? Is FFX-2 too girly for you? The game play was actually really damn good. Anyways I'm too lazy to defend FF12 because I got some busniess class quizes to take care of right now but I highly doubt 12 is a widely crappy game.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZenaxPure
    suneku said:
    "well I guess that's a decent list, I doubt you've even touched Last Remnant though. If you're going to include ports in the list of crappy games they've made, I could easily name at least 3 ports that are excellent. Now on to FFX-2 and FF12, those are subjective to your opinion. Besides it not being up to Final Fantasy standards, what's so bad about those 2 games? Is FFX-2 too girly for you? The game play was actually really damn good. Well I'm too lazy to defend FF12 because I got some busniess class quizes to take care of right now but I highly doubt 12 is a widely crappy game."
    FF12 sold over 5 million copies, got some great reviews overall. Most of the purists were just upset that it decided to go against traditional japanese developed standards and remove random encounters, which is ironic since most of the time those same people say JRPGs lack variety.

Also yes, arguing an opinion is stupid it is def best to not even bother.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aurelito
    lucas_kelly said:

My faith in Square Enix is dead.

Their faith in money had born.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I was never interested in Square Enix 

Japanese should only create horror Games XD

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I only care about Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and it seems they're treating those franchises right, for the most part. So, I'm good.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By LightYagami245
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "atejas said:
    "FFX-2 was the first game they made after Sakaguchi left, right?
    Makes sense."
    Nah i think you can tell Sakaguchi was geting smaller and smaller actual roles and work in the company right around FF7s release and thereafter specially with the spirits within debacle which wasn't a debacle since that movie was fine as long as you didn't go in thinking of a final fantasy movie though that was the fault of square for naming it final fantasy.

As per the topic at hand, I lost faith in Square long ago when i first played and beat FF7 it was just downhill from there the only keynote was tactics."
    I played FF7 in the past few months, and I just couldn't finish it. The story was not intriguing and the character development wasn't too good. I didn't put the graphics into account since the game is 10 years old.

As for SE, I must say that they are pulling EA moves around now days, but I think they are not too bad yet. Some games, like Infinite Undiscovery, is not developed by them, but they take the full blame for the game, which is shown in the TC's post. Like someone said before, Tri-Ace developed it while SE just published the game(so their full role was to supply the money for the game). I think their expansion to the US is a pretty good move, but only if the US division can create original titles also, and not from their HQ's back-catalog.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By chililili
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "I only care about Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and it seems they're treating those franchises right, for the most part. So, I'm good."
    I agree with you completely, anyway last remnant might be fixed later for the ps3.
    djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By djghostmare
    Zenaxzd said:
    "suneku said:
    "atejas said:
    "Zenaxzd said:

"

Hmm really on the co-composing it? I could of swore he was only doing the theme again. Still if that is the case then fuck yea that restores a lot of my hope in the quality of the music being up there again. (Also, man I totally love FFIX myself, I just replayed it earlier this year and keep getting the urge to do it again. That ending scene gets me in tears of joy everytime)."

I'm sorry...what?! Hitoshi Sakimoto's score for FFXII was amazing! It was reminiscent of his work on Tactics, large sweeping overtures and developmental pieces that helped bring Ivalice to life. Like Tactics, FFXII was about the plight of nations and war. Before XII, Final Fantasy always focused on the individual characters and their stories, their bouts of amnesia, their secrets, their tales of love. True, FFXII is an incredibly different game from the rest of the series, but it is still a great addition to the lineup.

It's music? Well, Uematsu could never compose the right music for this project. That is not me disparaging his work. Nobuo Uematsu is incredible talented, but his music is incredibly thematic. The use of leitmotifs and specific instruments representing characters and places is obvious, but generally only secluded to a specific piece. This makes for fantastic pieces of work, that are incredibly memorable and poignant. Hitoshi Sakimoto writes much larger works, with more overencompassing thematic elements, and less leitmotifs. It is perfectly suited for this game, which focuses, as previously mentioned, on nations and war instead of individuals.

Maybe that's why a lot of older Square fans do not like the game's story: no amnesiac heroes, not much in push and pull love scenes, and no OMGWTF revelations (except maybe for Balthier). I digress: in the defense of the music, maybe they are not the most memorable pieces--no one pulls them out during dinner parties--but they are epic and worthy of respect.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By jakob187

You are just NOW losing faith?  Hell, I lost faith when their name became Square Enix.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wuffi

how dare you question the awesomeness that is squaresoft all their ps1 and snes games are masterpieces in my opinion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.