Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Noticed that no one has SWTOR mentioned in their top 10 games

• 78 results
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By smcn

@CL60 said:

Because they don't like Star Wars, or MMOs.

Or apparently BioWare post-Mass Effect 2.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@CL60 said:

Because they don't like Star Wars, or MMOs.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By p00rdevil

@Landon said:

@p00rdevil said:

@Landon said:

I think you bought the game and were hoping some of the "big" people in this industry would help validate your purchase by saying it's one of the best games of the year.

Not me. I haven't played the game at all, not during beta and not since launch. All I know about TOR is what I read in press releases and on the different forums. I watched the Quicklook, and really that is the most exposure I have had to the actual game. I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but if the game was pretty special I might check it out anyway.

Then why the fuck did you make this stupid thread for you moron?

There is nothing stupid or moronic about my topic or any of my replies. I made a simple observation about a MMO that shipped with more press hype than any game in recent memory, excepting maybe Halo. How many responses in this thread have come to the games defense with good reasons why the game lives up to all the pre release anticipation? Is that too hard to do? It is much easier I suppose to declare the OP a moron and all the editors who overlooked it as disinterested in Star Wars and MMO haters. Who is displaying the moronic behavior here?

Defend the game by posting good reasons why it is worthy of a subscription. Give us reasons to want to check this game out.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By phrosnite

The game came out too late to be considered for anything.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Sitoxity

As good as it is, it's been out less than 2 weeks. People have only been able to play the full "release" build for around 3 weeks. It's an MMO, no one's had enough time to review it let alone give it GOTY.

Rooster Teeth justified them giving it GOTY because the people who were actively playing it had been all year. Sure it wasn't final, but if they loved the game befor ethey improved it, why not? It's also not exactly "official" awards...who cares?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By landon

@p00rdevil said:

@Landon said:

@p00rdevil said:

@Landon said:

I think you bought the game and were hoping some of the "big" people in this industry would help validate your purchase by saying it's one of the best games of the year.

Not me. I haven't played the game at all, not during beta and not since launch. All I know about TOR is what I read in press releases and on the different forums. I watched the Quicklook, and really that is the most exposure I have had to the actual game. I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but if the game was pretty special I might check it out anyway.

Then why the fuck did you make this stupid thread for you moron?

There is nothing stupid or moronic about my topic or any of my replies. I made a simple observation about a MMO that shipped with more press hype than any game in recent memory, excepting maybe Halo. How many responses in this thread have come to the games defense with good reasons why the game lives up to all the pre release anticipation? Is that too hard to do? It is much easier I suppose to declare the OP a moron and all the editors who overlooked it as disinterested in Star Wars and MMO haters. Who is displaying the moronic behavior here?

Defend the game by posting good reasons why it is worthy of a subscription. Give us reasons to want to check this game out.

No, this is a stupid topic. You basically went out of your way to ask why no one had this game (this MMO that has just came out) on their best games of the year lists. Simple logic dictates that it being an MMO it could have launched with problems and immediately saying it's on one of the best games of the year would be getting ahead of yourself.

And now in this post you are claiming you want people to defend the game and give reasons why it should be worthy of a subscription, something you didn't even MENTION in your OP. Perhaps you should have elaborated on that instead of coming off as an idiot saying "why no one like dis game with a ton of hype?".

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

as much as i'm loving the game right now, its the kind of game that would've had to have come out a few months ago to be considered for any award.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@laserbolts said:

@sins_of_mosin
    I find it hard to call this site a 'video game site'. It does a few reviews on the biggest games, does some videos, and maybe a news bit or such. And I still find it hard why some people are such fanboys for the people who work here. Work... if they call it work or jsut bumming around.
    You find it hard to call this a video game site? Seriously, and I'm not even kidding here, that was one of the dumbest things I have read all year and I frequent these forums way too much.

He made it just in time! Now let's see if he can do it again next year!

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By byterunner

@p00rdevil: Dude, only Jeff and Ryan had any meaningful time with the game, and both said they really didn't care for it. Well, Ryan liked it, but obviously not enough to put it in his top ten. Jeff....well Jeff is crazy. He is willing to play a game he really doesn't care for, for 20 hours. Brad played it for like and hour, totally hated, and I pretty sure Patrick and Vinny haven't even played it.

That, and those guys just don't like Star Wars.

Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Neeshka

Maybe the game isn't that good ?

The "hardcore" mmo community dislikes the lack of end-game things to do; the game feels like a single player game; and other current MMOs are significantly better. It adds nothing new to the genre.

Btw, if you are interested you can read a lot of early reviews on the old republic official site; some of the posts on their general forums are actually quite funny too.

Although 4chan's /v/ really exaggerates the game's problems sometimes they are correct; "bioware defense force/rabid fanboyism" is probably somewhat of a hyperbole but the official TOR general forums are in fact somewhat depressing to say the least.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By freakin9

If you've paid attention at all it's pretty obvious they haven't really played the game outside of Jeff who is pretty much completely against the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62  Edited By Seppli

SW:TOR 100% succeeds in being a great alternative to World of Warcraft. It's better in many ways, equal in most others and close enough in a select few aspects (its environmental worldbuilding is my personal pet peeve). It's also a pretty rad Star Wars/KotOR game and has 'Bioware Storytelling' down to a T. And there's an over abundance of high quality fun content. At least as far as I have progressed. Looking forward to doing some endgame in the upcoming weeks and see if it all holds up past the leveling excellence.

Anybody who says differently is simply trolling or a fanboy of some other big MMORPG. Of course if you expect SW:TOR to be something other than a post-WoW MMO first and foremost, you're out of luck. It's what it is and it's rather brilliant at it. If that's what you want - go get! Now.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Seppli

@freakin9 said:

If you've paid attention at all it's pretty obvious they haven't really played the game outside of Jeff who is pretty much completely against the game.

I feel like they all like it a lot better than they expected. And they're not even MMO players to begin with. Speaking of Jeff and Ryan. I'm sure Brad would get sucked in too, if he'd give it a chance. Stick with a character past lvl 15 and the story aspect would have its hooks in him for sure. I mean, he bloody loves Bioware games usually or am I mistaken.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Fuck BioWare.
    - Member of the BioWare hate wagon since March, 2011.  
    Although in seriousness, the game was released in December, and it's an MMO...so not enough time. With that said, seriously, fuck BioWare.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Seppli said:

SW:TOR 100% succeeds in being a great alternative to World of Warcraft. It's better in many ways, equal in most others and close enough in a select few aspects (its environmental worldbuilding is my personal pet peeve). It's also a pretty rad Star Wars/KotOR game and has 'Bioware Storytelling' down to a T. And there's an over abundance of high quality fun content. At least as far as I have progressed. Looking forward to doing some endgame in the upcoming weeks and see if it all holds up past the leveling excellence.

Anybody who says differently is simply trolling or a fanboy of some other big MMORPG. Of course if you expect SW:TOR to be something other than a post-WoW MMO first and foremost, you're out of luck. It's what it is and it's rather brilliant at it. If that's what you want - go get! Now.

I think that's a very unfair generalisation. I'm looking forward to certain other MMO's a lot more, but only because they seem to be doing things right, where as Old Republic is very content to be nothing more than a WoW clone.. if you enjoy that, then that's fine, but I don't see how that makes it a good alternative to WoW. It's exactly the same thing, with a different setting. Nothing more, nothing less.. and in my opinion, the story content does not make up for the lack luster gameplay.

But as for it not being on any top 10 lists.. I certainly wouldn't take anyone seriously who puts an MMO that's only been out for a couple of weeks onto a GoTY list. That screams fanboy.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By imsh_pl

@Seppli said:

Anybody who says differently is simply trolling or a fanboy of some other big MMORPG.

Or, you know, just has a different taste from you.

But that's not possible, right?

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Theyve stated on many podcasts that it was releasing to late to be considered. simple

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mordukai

@laserbolts said:

@sins_of_mosin
    I find it hard to call this site a 'video game site'. It does a few reviews on the biggest games, does some videos, and maybe a news bit or such. And I still find it hard why some people are such fanboys for the people who work here. Work... if they call it work or jsut bumming around.
    You find it hard to call this a video game site? Seriously, and I'm not even kidding here, that was one of the dumbest things I have read all year and I frequent these forums way too much.

Go to his profile page and then you'll know why he said what he said. Good ole case of the "Butt Hurts".

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Seppli

@imsh_pl said:

@Seppli said:

Anybody who says differently is simply trolling or a fanboy of some other big MMORPG.

Or, you know, just has a different taste from you.

But that's not possible, right?

A qualitative statement made and measured by the standards set by WoW can be objective and absolute. Talking product quality, you can say WoW is shit and SW:TOR is shit. Saying WoW's great and SW:TOR's shit - that'd be wrong and untrue. Not a question of taste, just a matter of objectivity.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Seppli

@WinterSnowblind:

In other words, you don't care for what it is, because all you care about is what it's not? Other upcoming MMOs might be what it's not? You fear, if people enjoy the old too much, the revolution will fail? Hence even considering enjoying it is sacrilege?

There's no time like now and right now SW:TOR is the shit. I pity the fool who loves MMOs, particularly WoW, and cannot enjoy SW:TOR anymore.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BigChickenDinner
    No Caption Provided
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Robo

I don't give much of a shit about BioWare, I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars, and I had a long love-hate relationship with WoW that ended with my being completely bored with the never-ending grind it became...but so far I'm really enjoying SWTOR.

I'm more interested in what it does right than whatever it may be missing. Ignoring it just because you have some lofty ideas for how it could/should be is stupid, frankly.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Seppli: I said you can enjoy it if you want, I was only objecting to your statement that anyone who doesn't like it is a troll or a fanboy. I think it's a dated game, with bad gameplay and little appeal beyond the name on the box.. and no, I don't enjoy WoW or most MMO's that follow it's template, but since most of them are much older games, they don't deserve quite as much criticism. Old Republic was supposed to be cutting edge and a "true Bioware RPG" and fails to deliver on either.

If you can somehow find it fun, I'm happy for you. But that doesn't mean anyone who doesn't is mentally ill or something.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By beeftothetaco

I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was pretty clear that TOR was going to be another WoW style MMORPG from the get-go. I just can't figure out why this game was hyped to the extent that it was. Were people seriously expecting an online KOTOR (which would have been awesome), or have cutscenes become absent enough in games that uninformed people mistook the advertisements for actual gameplay?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Seppli

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Seppli: I said you can enjoy it if you want, I was only objecting to your statement that anyone who doesn't like it is a troll or a fanboy. I think it's a dated game, with bad gameplay and little appeal beyond the name on the box.. and no, I don't enjoy WoW or most MMO's that follow it's template, but since most of them are much older games, they don't deserve quite as much criticism. Old Republic was supposed to be cutting edge and a "true Bioware RPG" and fails to deliver on either.

If you can somehow find it fun, I'm happy for you. But that doesn't mean anyone who doesn't is mentally ill or something.

And I pretty much disagree on all points, except that it's somewhat 'dated' at its core. Albeit I'd label it 'classic'. I mean, if you can call WoW a bad game, then more power to you. I just don't find that to be true at all.

Your criticism pretty much boils down to 'if you hate WoW, you won't love SW:TOR either'. It's pretty rad at being WoW though, if you are into such things. And the whole 'Bioware RPG' story angle adds a lot to that core. At least for me, it's all the reason to care about my character as much as I do for my WoW character (or even more so) and my Troll Hunter has like 500 days played on him.

SW:TOR is the first game which makes me doubt if I'll visit Azeroth when its next expansion gets released. I might just not care about WoW anymore now. That's quite a feat.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By BonOrbitz

No shit. It's an MMO and you can't determine if it's one of the best games of the year in just 12 days.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By sins_of_mosin

To stop the GB fanboys from QQing all over their keyboard... If you compare the amount of content from this site to some other sites, they lack BIG TIME. I think of GB more like a personal project for a small group of people. They update it when they want and only do what they like to do. To me, thats a personal site that has video game content. So blah blah fanboys, no need to defend your crush on the staff. I won't bother to read your replies anyway as I simple don't care.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By BoG

I've played it, but an MMO is on odd beast. It's not really alive and kicking until some time has passed after the initial release, which is why I didn't include it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.