Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Gabe Newell challenges you to log into his account.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By eroticfishcake

Why so? Well in order to test out their new Steam Guard security technology, Gabe Newell of Valve has decided to give out his username and password to everyone. Try it yourself, his username is gaben@valvesoftware.com and his password is moolyftw.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

...and I challenge all Giant Bomb users to post their threads in the appropriate forum and not lump everything into General Discussion. I think the Gabe Newell thing might be easier.  

Moved to Steam.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I gave my password away a week ago because I had one really stupid moment of weakness (And hacker sites look IDENTICAL, in every way to the actual steam site.) but since my email was verified and whatnot its all good.  The steam guard thing would help even more. Im glad they're adding that. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By endless_void

What exactly does this ''steam guard '' security technology do?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By TomA

Tell that to the guy that worked his way into Valve's internal network and resided there for months without anyone noticing...and then stole Half Life 2.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EuanDewar
    @endless_void: I believe it ties your account to a specific machine, at least thats what I gather from this short clip.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
    @TomA said:
    " Tell that to the guy that worked his way into Valve's internal network and resided there for months without anyone noticing...and then stole Half Life 2. "
    Topical.
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Paulrus
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I gave my password away a week ago because I had one really stupid moment of weakness (And hacker sites look IDENTICAL, in every way to the actual steam site.) but since my email was verified and whatnot its all good.  The steam guard thing would help even more.  "
    Yeah, I fell for one o' them traps once. Embarrassing when I think about it now, considering it had .ru or something at the end.
    Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Falx
    @Paulrus: did the same a while ago, when they were first starting to make them sires, was really pissed off because the link was sent by someone i knew, sorted it out though using a seriael number from a disc copy of a steam game i had.
    Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Sambambo
    @TomA
    Tell that to the guy that worked his way into Valve's internal network and resided there for months without anyone noticing...and then stole Half Life 2.
    Wasn't that nearly 10 years ago?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I gave my password away a week ago because I had one really stupid moment of weakness (And hacker sites look IDENTICAL, in every way to the actual steam site.) but since my email was verified and whatnot its all good.  The steam guard thing would help even more. Im glad they're adding that.  "
    Never act on an email claiming your account is going to bed banned until your account is actually banned.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Geno

Hold on though, what happens to people whose computer breaks? How do you change the settings on your account then? 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Skald
    @Geno said:
    " Hold on though, what happens to people whose computer breaks? How do you change the settings on your account then?  "
    If you access it on a new computer it shoots you a confirmation email. It's on their FAQ.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By damswedon

I hate his password.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Grumbel

According to this, IPT only adds a six digit number to the password, which means that it shouldn't be all that hard to crack if you already have the username and password, unless of course there are some technical details involved that that page fails to mention.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.