Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Coming to OSX! Rejoice 9800M MacBook Pro User!

• 86 results
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By JJOR64

Go Mac users!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#52  Edited By LordAndrew
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @CoverlessTech said:
    " HAHAHAHA you Mac fanboys really are ignorant aren't you? OSX open source? "
    OSX is under Unix, Unix is conisdered open source.  Apple just mixed it up a little for protection and making it run better. "
    Unix is proprietary; Mac OS X is also proprietary. OS X uses some open source components, but the operating system itself is neither open source nor free.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By captain_clayman

ewwww 9400m... 
    integrated... 
    ewwww....

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By turboman

I might finally get to play Left 4 Dead

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Skytylz said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " because I'm sure as shit not buying CS more than once. "
    It's only 10 bucks...what harm is that?  It has more users than console shooters and is the better game.

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"  REJOICE MAC USERS!  AND LETS GIVE A GIANT FINGER TO WINDOWS USERS!  We no longer need to boot into Windows 7! "  "

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    Hey, I'm sorry Mac users have the better OS and aren't used to bloated and virus ridden OS.  "
    I'm glad I can proudly say I've never owned anything made by Apple.  Mac's are for neanderthals that can't run a PC. "
    that's not true :( 
    i love my mac and i'm building a gaming PC myself.  i'm not a n00b...
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Skytylz
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    It's only 10 bucks...what harm is that?  It has more users than console shooters and is the better game.

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"  REJOICE MAC USERS!  AND LETS GIVE A GIANT FINGER TO WINDOWS USERS!  We no longer need to boot into Windows 7! "  "

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    Hey, I'm sorry Mac users have the better OS and aren't used to bloated and virus ridden OS.  "
    I'm glad I can proudly say I've never owned anything made by Apple.  Mac's are for neanderthals that can't run a PC. "
    that's not true :( i love my mac and i'm building a gaming PC myself.  i'm not a n00b... "
    don't worry i was just trolling :)
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Skytylz said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    that's not true :( i love my mac and i'm building a gaming PC myself.  i'm not a n00b... "
    don't worry i was just trolling :) "
    still you made me feel sad :(
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Skytylz
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    still you made me feel sad :( "
    Well, I'm sorry then.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Do you think if you already have the PC version of a game, lets say TF2 that you can boot up Mac Steam and play it through that? 
    Or do you think it will be a separate account/ game?

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Skytylz said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    still you made me feel sad :( "
    Well, I'm sorry then. "
    it's cool...i'll be fine *sniffles*
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Mmmslash
    @TheMustacheHero:  I'd imagine it'll be the same account, but it'll be clearly differentiated. I.E. You'll be repurchasing that title, if you already own a PC version.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Mmmslash said:

" @TheMustacheHero:  I'd imagine it'll be the same account, but it'll be clearly differentiated. I.E. You'll be repurchasing that title, if you already own a PC version. "

I hope not...I mean with Warhammer Online, when they released the Mac version a couple months ago, if you had already bought the PC version of the game and verified the account then you could download the Mac version for free. Perhaps Valve could do the same with some of it's games? 
    I dunno, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mmmslash
    @TheMustacheHero: Valve is known for being overly generous with their player base, but the issue is they'll have to port it over, and that'll cost money.

Warhammer had the incentive to give it away for free because they're an MMO, they have to please their players, or else they go out of business. Anyone playing Warhammer is a good thing for them, so giving away their port for free (When the user had already purchased it on PC, of course), is an investment.

That said, if anyone is going to give the ports away for free, it'd be Valve, but I can't imagine a single circumstance where any other publisher on Steam would allow that to happen. I can see future "double-passes" or something being for sale, for a nominal fee, but for the timing being... it's not looking good for the mac folks.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By AndrewB
    @Mmmslash: Urgh... That's something I never thought of. We'll have to see how they roll with it. I could imagine it going either way, though... I mean, anything to give people even more of an incentive to buy the game, right? Besides that, many games with a Mac version already come with both installers on the same disc. Specifically EA games like The SIms 3 and Spore, and Blizzard games. I think the general idea is to get it out to as many people as possible, and since you've already done the work to port it over, you may as well give it to the people who already supported you and make them happier.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Mmmslash said:

" @TheMustacheHero: Valve is known for being overly generous with their player base, but the issue is they'll have to port it over, and that'll cost money.  Warhammer had the incentive to give it away for free because they're an MMO, they have to please their players, or else they go out of business. Anyone playing Warhammer is a good thing for them, so giving away their port for free (When the user had already purchased it on PC, of course), is an investment.  That said, if anyone is going to give the ports away for free, it'd be Valve, but I can't imagine a single circumstance where any other publisher on Steam would allow that to happen. I can see future "double-passes" or something being for sale, for a nominal fee, but for the timing being... it's not looking good for the mac folks. "

That's what I'm saying, just strictly Valve games considering the fact that they've only released artwork for their own games. But also keep in mind that when switching over to mac, new mac users would of course buy the games (so that's how'd they get more money) and take in mind since steam is all downloads it's not like they have to send you a CD of the Mac version of TF2 for free, they could just open it up for you to download. Like you buy the game and you get the PC version and Mac version...
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " I'm glad I can proudly say I've never owned anything made by Apple.  Mac's are for neanderthals that can't run a PC. "
    Which is why all advance editing software is done on OSX and why Hollywood movies are made on OSX.  Look this thread is about Steam coming to an open source OS, which means Linux will get it sooner or later cause both OSX and Linux are open source running under Unix. "
       Didn't know you work in Hollywood production? I was under the assumption that Avid was the industry standard. The editing software for OSX is probably the reason Fred makes his stupid youtube videos, that doesn't mean it's the hollywood industry standard. "
    It is the Hollywood standard, just wanted to point that out. Final Cut is the most widely used editing program in the industry. I'm a film student, so yeah learning how to use Final Cut is pretty crucial if you want to be an editor or just a film maker in general.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By cinemandrew
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Skytylz said:

" I'm glad I can proudly say I've never owned anything made by Apple.  Mac's are for neanderthals that can't run a PC. "
    Which is why all advance editing software is done on OSX and why Hollywood movies are made on OSX.  Look this thread is about Steam coming to an open source OS, which means Linux will get it sooner or later cause both OSX and Linux are open source running under Unix. "
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid
    badcompany1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By badcompany1515
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Brians
    @KaosAngel said:
    Only reason no viruses on Macs not enough of a user base to make it worth hackers while. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By xyzygy

Cool. 

I hate the mentality of Apple fanboys. I really, really don't get it. Any suped up PC can shit on top of a Mac and throw it from it here to China, while running 4 times the amount of "editing software" a Mac can handle. Apple is a fashion statment.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy said:
    " Cool.  I hate the mentality of Apple fanboys. I really, really don't get it. Any suped up PC can shit on top of a Mac and throw it from it here to China, while running 4 times the amount of "editing software" a Mac can handle. Apple is a fashion statment. "
    Yeah?  So is Brooks Brothers, and I wear their clothing everyday (80% of my woredrobe is done by them).  Some people like simplistic stuff, and I have a couple Window 7 PCs in the house all with 9800 GT or higher.   I like my MBP and use it everyday, but I play all the 360 games I want on my PCs at home...so kinda pointless to call out Apple fanboys.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By Fallen189

My PC can also run steam.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#73  Edited By AndrewB

Anyone here going to discuss the actual subject of this thread, or are you seriously going to impose your misguided beliefs that the operating system you use is the best and only option for everyone, regardless of their use for it?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189 said:
    " My PC can also run steam. "
    ...and your PC also run the best version of Adobe software?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MrKlorox

Nice. You get to play a handful of games for cheap now.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    ...and your PC also run the best version of Adobe software? "
    Lol. Using Adobe programs to compare computer efficiency is dumb. Try running the best version of Maya with max settings and rendering on a Mac vs. a high-end PC. Then you'll see a difference.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LordAndrew

Trying to compare anything is dumb. You're all idiots for using proprietary software and denying yourself freedom anyway. :P

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By gamefreak9

If your a gamer get windows. PERIOD.  

I'm sure there are exceptions but i have to say that about nobody i know who uses a mac know anything about computing, and thats fine and all but it's main market is the non savvy consumer.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By LordAndrew
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " I'm sure there are exceptions but i have to say that about nobody i know who uses a mac know anything about computing "
    Interesting. From my experience the least knowledgeable tend to be Windows users who don't even realize that any alternatives exist.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Romination said:

" @Nasar7 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "AND LETS GIVE A GIANT FINGER TO WINDOWS USERS!  "
    Rather not. Besides this, I'm excited for a mac version but I'm sure the number of supported games will be small. "
    this. I was excited for Steam on my mac but then it'll be... oh look, I can get puzzle quest again. Oh, yay. I can get something else simple. I really just want Bionic Commando Rearmed "
    All Valve games will more than likely be on there, most games on Steam have a Mac Port (Dragon Age, MW2, PvsZ, Peggle, etc), and Steam will be optimized for our hardware cause everyone is the same.  Which means better performance! The only reason most OSX users boot into Windows will finally be gone and we'll free up 20 gigs of useless OS space! "
    You're living in a fantasy realm mate.  All that means is that it's pretty simple for them to support OSX with Source based games because modern Macs are essentially Wintel boxes.  You'll not get better performance, you'll see equal to or slower performance on OS X because your driver infrastructure is more closed than on Windows.  Let alone the fact that OS X is essentially a Window Manager on BSD and so all of your hardware is abstracted away and only accessible via libraries whose basis of performance is over a decade old.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By Fallen189
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    ...and your PC also run the best version of Adobe software? "
    Probably, yeah. But I use my computer for playing videogames and using internet/writing essays.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By gamefreak9

" I'm sure there are exceptions but i have to say that about nobody i know who uses a mac know anything about computing "

@LordAndrew:
    Interesting. From my experience the least knowledgeable tend to be Windows users who don't even realize that any alternatives exist. "  

I'm not denying that there are people who don't acknowledge other operating system's but those exists in both sides. However this is not about how open minded people are, this is about their knowledge of computers, most people who use macs for instance don't know how to program, would not know how to set up start up settings, won't know their system specs,ip, mac address or how to retrieve them, or what they are for that instance. I'm a film student, and the ones who use final cut pro don't even know what frames per second means. On top of that they don't know their directories for programs they installed, only for folders they made. Don't get me wrong i'm sure that you are different, gamers are usually a lot more tech savvy, but macs encourage ignorance. Its definitely not the hands on operating system.  Achieving the no virus thing is really not that hard when you only allow compatibility with applications you create...  

Oh and btw, the computer skills you acquire by using windows, will show up later on in your career. Point is, if your a gamer, and your going to be spending on your computer anyway, you might as well become a professional at using it. 
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LordAndrew

Well, ultimately it's all just anecdotal evidence anyway.

And for anyone intending to get a career using computers, I'd recommend an understanding of both Windows and Macs. Basic knowledge of Unix shells and windowing systems couldn't hurt either. You simply can't restrict your computer knowledge to one vendor's operating system.

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Shadowsquire
    @KaosAngel: BAHAHAHA. You think OSX is open source?! LMFAO IN YOUR FACE. <-- see that? Thats my ass laughing in your face. OSX is nothing but a blatant rip off of free BSD with some fancy animations thrown on top. Yea windows isn't perfect, neither is linux. But using either of those is definitely better than paying a shit-ton of money for an apple product.  
    Oh. and by the way. There are a lot of viruses out for mac now. So don't go ripping on PC just because people like you are stupid enough to download "freeporn.exe" and then allow it to install on your computer. Don't bother arguing. I can go on like this all day. Got nothing better to do. (Other than play games and eat that is)
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RE_Player1

Games are good:)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @KaosAngel said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

@CoverlessTech said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Ugh, fucking fanboys. "
    you know what they say....Mac...It can't even get negative attention.
    lol I know of a penny arcade style comic with that but I can't find it.

Maybe you should just be happy MAC is getting somthing finally instead of being a total douchey dick about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.