Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I bought a Fightstick and I still suck.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Alexander

I've wanted to be good at Street Fighter IV for a while. For once here is a game where a large number of my friends who do not normally play games have taken an interest and made a purchase. The problem is that I am really no good at the game. This is even worse for someone like me as I'm pretty damn good when it comes to my main-stay shooter titles, I'm not used to losing so badly. After a while of waiting the SE Fightstick became available and since I have bought one, only to have my ass handed to me once again by a friend of mine online. This may be something I will just have to accept and move on from, but for some reason I feel compelled to persevere for a little while longer.

Customising my Fightstick and sorting out some artwork was always something I was going to do regardless. Just something about making something your own really appeals to me. For those in the UK reading this, there are two sites I have come across to get your Sanwa pushbuttons and joysticks and that's http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/ and http://www.arcadeshop.de the latter has some colours not available on Lizard Lick, such as white, green, red, yellow and blue buttons with black rims. I'm almost getting these purely on an aesthetic basis and I have a question for those of you that do play SFIV and have installed Sanwa parts: do these things actually make a difference to your game? One thing I find hard to do is pull off super moves under duress, I just keep fucking it up. Does an 8-way joystick help at all? Also, how does a Sanwa compare to the standard joystick?

I may well do a video guide for this easy mod process so watch this space. Any excuse to use my DV camera, or in this case, Wacom tablet that hardly sees any action.

I must say the Fightstick has lead to an improvement, especially for someone using a 360 pad. Even if my being devoid of Street Fighter skills continues and I give up, I remember being pretty good at Tekken and we have a sequel round the corner, so this stick won't go to waste. Speaking of other fighters I have always preferred the Dead or Alive series over any other for it's countering system. That was a game where I could hand out an asskicking or two. All said, the fighting genre is not my forte, maybe I should stick to headshots and kill-streaks.

Anyone else out there buy Street Fighter IV on the back of the hype train only to find a game you weren't any good at?

And a noob question: what does the Turbo function do?

Change of subject:

I'm going to New York next month, is there anything in particular one could recommend? I like art, drinking, clubbing, live music and I'm 21. I hear the Sullivan Room is supposed to be good? I have a passion for strawberry milkshakes... if that helps.

Track of the Week #7

I'm not blogging that frequently so it's not like this is going week by week. And I'm not wasting my time blogging about a single track that you probably won't like.

I really do like CSS, their lead singer Lovefoxxx (what a cool name [no it's not her real name silly]) can't sing to save her life, but they've been a great deal of fun the two times I've seen them (and she's kinda hot). Just yesterday I stumbled upon a cover they did of Blondie's One Way or Another versus The Undertone's Teenage Kicks.

There are a number of tracks I have in my head right now but I'll keep it to one per blog post.

A few things I noticed:

These are just a few things I noticed while writing this -

Consoles and console accessories should be included in the Wiki (imo), not because they might be in a game like Katamari, but because it's information people like to know and it has everything to do with videogames. A page on the SE Fightstick would save me asking about Turbo.

If you are embedding video the real-time editor doesn't show you what the embed will actually look like. Say for example you are embedding a Youtube vid and you have the code configured for it to play in HD and at a particular size, it would be nice to just get a regular preview option to see what the post will really look like. It would also be handy for just testing out some code without having to post it and go back to edit or delete if it isn't right.

Also when you delete a blog post, it remains on your wall and simply links to a 404.

At the moment there is no option to remove a caption from an image.

It would be nice if there were a way so that if you stray from the page on which you've written a whole paragraph, you can hit back and the text will still be there.

The option to retroactively attach a blog post to the forums within a time limit of say a day would be nice.

Other things:

The password manager in Firefox doesn't seem to work with logging in (3.5b4)

The abbreviations for some games should be enough to find them in searches. For example cod=call of duty, graw=ghost recon advanced warfighter, dmc, mgs, doa etc. etc. etc.

It would be nice to be able to pause the download of the Bombcast in iTunes.

Bombcast page archiving was a good idea I read.

When someone sends you a friend request it would be nice to accept that request straight from the PM rather than having to click one step further to the requests page.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Alexander

I've wanted to be good at Street Fighter IV for a while. For once here is a game where a large number of my friends who do not normally play games have taken an interest and made a purchase. The problem is that I am really no good at the game. This is even worse for someone like me as I'm pretty damn good when it comes to my main-stay shooter titles, I'm not used to losing so badly. After a while of waiting the SE Fightstick became available and since I have bought one, only to have my ass handed to me once again by a friend of mine online. This may be something I will just have to accept and move on from, but for some reason I feel compelled to persevere for a little while longer.

Customising my Fightstick and sorting out some artwork was always something I was going to do regardless. Just something about making something your own really appeals to me. For those in the UK reading this, there are two sites I have come across to get your Sanwa pushbuttons and joysticks and that's http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/ and http://www.arcadeshop.de the latter has some colours not available on Lizard Lick, such as white, green, red, yellow and blue buttons with black rims. I'm almost getting these purely on an aesthetic basis and I have a question for those of you that do play SFIV and have installed Sanwa parts: do these things actually make a difference to your game? One thing I find hard to do is pull off super moves under duress, I just keep fucking it up. Does an 8-way joystick help at all? Also, how does a Sanwa compare to the standard joystick?

I may well do a video guide for this easy mod process so watch this space. Any excuse to use my DV camera, or in this case, Wacom tablet that hardly sees any action.

I must say the Fightstick has lead to an improvement, especially for someone using a 360 pad. Even if my being devoid of Street Fighter skills continues and I give up, I remember being pretty good at Tekken and we have a sequel round the corner, so this stick won't go to waste. Speaking of other fighters I have always preferred the Dead or Alive series over any other for it's countering system. That was a game where I could hand out an asskicking or two. All said, the fighting genre is not my forte, maybe I should stick to headshots and kill-streaks.

Anyone else out there buy Street Fighter IV on the back of the hype train only to find a game you weren't any good at?

And a noob question: what does the Turbo function do?

Change of subject:

I'm going to New York next month, is there anything in particular one could recommend? I like art, drinking, clubbing, live music and I'm 21. I hear the Sullivan Room is supposed to be good? I have a passion for strawberry milkshakes... if that helps.

Track of the Week #7

I'm not blogging that frequently so it's not like this is going week by week. And I'm not wasting my time blogging about a single track that you probably won't like.

I really do like CSS, their lead singer Lovefoxxx (what a cool name [no it's not her real name silly]) can't sing to save her life, but they've been a great deal of fun the two times I've seen them (and she's kinda hot). Just yesterday I stumbled upon a cover they did of Blondie's One Way or Another versus The Undertone's Teenage Kicks.

There are a number of tracks I have in my head right now but I'll keep it to one per blog post.

A few things I noticed:

These are just a few things I noticed while writing this -

Consoles and console accessories should be included in the Wiki (imo), not because they might be in a game like Katamari, but because it's information people like to know and it has everything to do with videogames. A page on the SE Fightstick would save me asking about Turbo.

If you are embedding video the real-time editor doesn't show you what the embed will actually look like. Say for example you are embedding a Youtube vid and you have the code configured for it to play in HD and at a particular size, it would be nice to just get a regular preview option to see what the post will really look like. It would also be handy for just testing out some code without having to post it and go back to edit or delete if it isn't right.

Also when you delete a blog post, it remains on your wall and simply links to a 404.

At the moment there is no option to remove a caption from an image.

It would be nice if there were a way so that if you stray from the page on which you've written a whole paragraph, you can hit back and the text will still be there.

The option to retroactively attach a blog post to the forums within a time limit of say a day would be nice.

Other things:

The password manager in Firefox doesn't seem to work with logging in (3.5b4)

The abbreviations for some games should be enough to find them in searches. For example cod=call of duty, graw=ghost recon advanced warfighter, dmc, mgs, doa etc. etc. etc.

It would be nice to be able to pause the download of the Bombcast in iTunes.

Bombcast page archiving was a good idea I read.

When someone sends you a friend request it would be nice to accept that request straight from the PM rather than having to click one step further to the requests page.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

The turbo function makes it so that if you press and hold a button, its the same as mashing said button.

If you dont want your fighting stick anymore, id be glad to take it off your hands
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Dude, it's going to take way longer for you to adjust. Same thing happened to me with my FightPad, you have to get used to it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it takes time to get used to arcade sticks if you haven't played with them very often.  But once you do get used to one it'll be way better then having stayed with the controller. 

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By slinky6

the fightstick isn't going to instantly make you better at street fighter, bud.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    FluxWaveZ said:
    "Yeah, it takes time to get used to arcade sticks if you haven't played with them very often.  But once you do get used to one it'll be way better then having stayed with the controller.  "
    This.

Be patient and sooner of later you will see why people opt for sticks given the choice. It really is a case of practice makes perfect. in this case muscle memory plays a role, after a while you can pull everything off with ease, at will.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By DJ_Lae

I SUCK at Street Fighter IV. I don't even know why I bought the game. I wanted to get good at it, I really did. But I can't do half the challenges and I have a hell of a time even with arcade mode when I bump the difficulty up. Needless to say, I get crushed online too.

I had ordered an arcade stick, and it was backordered a little bit, but after realizing that my atrocious ability to play fighting games hadn't changed much in the past decade, I canceled my order and slowly became comfortable with the fact that yes, I suck, and yes, I'm okay with that.

To be honest, I found Virtua Fighter 5 easier to get into than Street Fighter IV, and that seems bizarre.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Why do you think you'll magically be better with a stick than without one?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MeierTheRed

Fight sticks doesn't make you better at it.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By lordofultima

To get good at something takes some practice, getting an arcade stick will not endow you with the knowledge of the ancients or something.

To answer some of your questions, an 8-way joystick is the only way you can play Street Fighter, maybe you're referring to an octagonal restrictor gate? If so, I'm going to add my two cents and say that square gate is definitely an interesting thing to adjust to, but in the long run will be better for your game, as you can actually find the diagonals unlike the octagon, in which all eight sides feel exactly the same. Also, sanwa parts were a huge improvement for me, but I suspect you and many others who are getting their hopes up will probably be disappointed in the minute change in quality (to untrained hands).

Tekken to be honest, best played with a pad. I'm putting together Theory Fighter #1 right now, which is all about the arcade stick and some hand placement/techniques. Stay tuned soon for that.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By REDRUN
    lordofultima said:
    "Tekken to be honest, best played with a pad. I'm putting together Theory Fighter #1 right now, which is all about the arcade stick and some hand placement/techniques. Stay tuned soon for that."
    Tekken can also be played with on a DDR dance pad too.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By keyhunter

At least your left thumb won't be cramping up after 3 or 4 fights and ruining your ultra's.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slinky6
    REDRUN said:
    "lordofultima said:
    "Tekken to be honest, best played with a pad. I'm putting together Theory Fighter #1 right now, which is all about the arcade stick and some hand placement/techniques. Stay tuned soon for that."
    Tekken can also be played with on a DDR dance pad too."
    HA.   That'd actually make the game fun.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By gla55jAw

I hated my fightstick, until I finally put together my ps2 arcade cab and started playing alot of SF3 and got used to the stick, then I went back to SFIV and used my TE stick and I'm almost up to how good I am on a pad, and thats only after 2 weeks. You really just have to practice ALOT with it.

As for you NY question. Depending on how many people your going with, google Asia Pub NYC, I've yet to go there but my friend's love that place. Check out Union Square, St. Marks, China Town, Times Sqaure, Museum of Natural Histroy, there is so much to do.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander

@ AgentJ, thanks for that. Also no I'm not getting rid of the stick

@everyone I have been going over and over super moves with my chosen character and it is getting better. I wasn't expecting the fightstick to make me the don of Street Fighter; but it has made a significant improvement and where I found it almost impossible to pull off moves with the 360-pad I'm now finding it not so hard.

My main problem now is stringing combos together. I'll just keep practising.

@Lae, I may well feel the same way after a while. Thing is I'm in a situation where a group of my friends are all playing the game and will be for some time.

@loltima Thanks for that, general preference seems to be toward a square gate, I might buy an octo and see how it feels. I'll give you some feedback on your Theory Fighter... testimonials!

I'm still finding my way to hold the stick, I find it easier to pull off supers in one direction rather than the other at the moment.

@gla55jaw Asia Pub NYC *takes note* thanks for that. I'm there 2 weeks with about 4 friends, also seeing a girl I was seeing last year while she was here in London studying. We'll be doing all the touristy things as well as finding some cool parties to go to. I'll be sure to visit Chinatown. We have one here in London but it's so tiny.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By lordofultima

Well yeah, I find it hard to do FADC combos on the right side of the screen, since for some reason dashing to the left is very difficult for me.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Scooper
    REDRUN said:
    "lordofultima said:
    Probably just as effectivly.

lordofultima
    said:
    "Well yeah, I find it hard to do FADC combos on the right side of the screen, since for some reason dashing to the left is very difficult for me."
    I have the same problem. It's harder for me to repetative twitch movements to the left then to the right.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix
    Scooper said:
    "REDRUN said:
    "lordofultima said:
    Probably just as effectivly.

lordofultima
    said:
    "Well yeah, I find it hard to do FADC combos on the right side of the screen, since for some reason dashing to the left is very difficult for me."
    I have the same problem. It's harder for me to repetative twitch movements to the left then to the right."

Sheesh, same with me.  For some reason, I have a real hard time doing certain ultras and specials when I'm on the right side of the screen.  I try not to make it obvious, but any opportunity to get me back on the left side of the screen I take.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.