Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Is this game enjoyable for people who suck at fighting games?

• 60 results
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By Davvyk

U know what i have not played fighting games since probably about Tekken. I sucked then! and il no doubt suck now! BUT IM GONNA JUMP IN THE DEEP END AND PURCHASE! young jefferson has convinced me its worth a shot.

So if any punching bags would like to form a noob fight club that we can get some low level practice with then add me. just mention SF4 in the xbox live friend request.

GamerTag is Delta Kil0    (its a zero at the end)

With practice us noobs will grow from the shadows and strike with furious anger upon the "hardcore" (after 15 to 25 years of training)

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Sushbag
    ZombieHunter said:
    "remember practice practice and practice also find a character that suites your play style :P"
    Suits my play style? Well, I like the play style where I win. Which character is good for that style? I mean, the style where you lose is fun too, but I'd like to find a character that works well with that whole "winning" play style I keep hearing about.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By get2sammyb

You know what I bought SFIV because I love fighting games. But I really suck at them. Street Fighter II gets me so angry. But this, for some reason, doesn't. I've won just 23% of online games. I cannot beat Seth on medium (spent an hour trying). But it hasn't frustrated me. At all.

I think Capcom missed an opportunity to put a really detailed guide in there, and that's a shame. Everyone (even the really good players) could benefit from a guide. Having said that. Winning or losing I find the game really fun.

Not a problem here. I love the game.

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By satseb
    get2sammyb said:
    "You know what I bought SFIV because I love fighting games. But I really suck at them. Street Fighter II gets me so angry. But this, for some reason, doesn't. I've won just 23% of online games. I cannot beat Seth on medium (spent an hour trying). But it hasn't frustrated me. At all.

I think Capcom missed an opportunity to put a really detailed guide in there, and that's a shame. Everyone (even the really good players) could benefit from a guide. Having said that. Winning or losing I find the game really fun.

Not a problem here. I love the game.
    "

snap. I can beat Seth on Hard difficulty and my win ratio is only 27% online. Im giving up on Sakura.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Whisperkill

Honestly, SF feels like WORK to learn, very frustrating and annoying work, I dont want to work at it to just have fun with it, like I said in a previous post, Its a game that is not fun unless you are good at it, and getting good at it requires Years of pratice (most people have 20 years).

This game definatley does not appeal to a broad audience. I have a feeling we will be seeing many many SF4 copies being traded in. And I hope people realize this is happening, especially at Capcom, and I hope they adress some of the arguments made in this thread. Then again Capcom seem pretty arrogant about their games being criticized (looks at RE5, "No, **** you, the controls suck and you know it...it does not add any amount of horror by making the game more tense, again, just frustration")
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Cheapoz

I am returning it tomorrow, exchanging for an RE5 preorder.

Thanks for the game Knifey! Good times.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By c1337us

I would say that I am not good at fighting games compared to most people who play them. But I do alright and I found it to be a fairly easy game to jump in and enjoy right away. I am still trying to get better at remembering and pulling off combos, its not too hard. I would like to be using a stick though rather then just the Dualshock.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By shulinchung

For people like me, who's never been competitive in fighting games before.......
    I found out that this game need some skill and timing even on the easiest difficulty. It's hard to button-mash Seth and win(but I didn't say it's impossible)

But once you find a strategy, it's really simple and rewarding(at least it's simple on the easiest difficulty)
    Sort of reminds me of Ninja Gaiden......

I just jumped and medium-kicked Seth all the way until he was dead using Dhalsim last night after I failed so many times trying to beat him with some special move I learned from manual......
    I LOLed so loud when he was defeated by a guy who just jumped and kicked. XD

Seth, oh Seth!
    just jump and kick until you see his death!  XD

One thing I learned is that if you are not familiar with SF4, you should trust your normal attacks. Normal attacks are very relyable in this game, and even SF vets use a lot of normal punches and kicks.
    This game is not as combo-reliant as other 2D fighting games, and I think that is also the reason why this game is said to be very accessible to new comers.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Otacon

Well, whilst I love SF, I am not great at it. Whilst I'm up for improving my skills at the game I still had fun with it playing it on friday night with my flatmates, which involved a lot f button mashing.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By makari

The trial mode really needs to show you what you need to do to transition between moves in combos. As it stands, you need to trial+error your way through different methods to get a combo right. Some require cancels (that require you to input right after the initial input very quickly), some are links (that you need to time after a hit has already connected), alot of the focus attack stuff requires dash canceling (holding focus and dashing >> or << to save your super meter and cancel from the 'focus parry' or 'focus attack' into other moves) but doesn't specifically tell you. Also, SF4 isn't really like some 3D fighters you might be used to where timing the button presses always must be the same speed each time you do it, it's a bit more lenient with the timing of some combos since its very open to buffering (starting a motion for the next attack before/during the previous attack hit and still having it register, mostly used for canceling into supers and ultras). If the trial mode had a little primer on canceling, linking, buffering, dash canceling, etc, and labeled the combos accordingly, I feel it would be a HUGE step in making the trial mode alot better for beginners. If players knew what canceling was, and had an example or two of it in action, then they could apply that knowledge to experimenting with canceling moves into other moves themselves, for example.

That and Seth is a bit crazy for a new player to face as well, even on easiest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.