Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Why play any character other than a shoto?

• 64 results
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Shotos, they are the most balanced and easy to grasp characters in street fighter (I include sagat in this category).  What good reason is there to play any other type of character.  I know the argument that every character has their own strengths, but the shoto characters are pretty much good at everything and they have combos that are easy to use.  Example huricane kick into dragon punch= good damage for 2 inputs.  The more I play the more shotos I see and the more I wonder why do people use anything else when they want to win.  I understand a person likeing a character or his/her play style, but when you want to win why not use the characters who can do everything?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Charge characters are just as good as shotos you just need to know how to utilise your charge.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Most good players know the weaknesses to shotos.  I play Honda and when I fight a Ryu or Ken, I know how to handle them.  Also, the hurican kick, DP combo just works for Akuma.  If Ken tries to use it, you have enough time to block the DP.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

But is there a weakness of the character or the weakness of the player you exploit I mean i know of akuma's glass jaw and kens huge recover time after his fierce dragon punch.  Bujt a good player playing a shoto seems to have the tools to handle everything.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By holycrapitsadam

what the heck is a shoto?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64

One weakness is if they miss a DP (except jab DB), people can punish them easily.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @HolyCrapItsAdam said:
    " what the heck is a shoto? "
    Characters that play like Ryu.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Against my Ryu, most halfway decent Blanka or Bison players can rip right through me.  Your assumption that shotos are naturally better and easier to use is negated by your own argument - some people play differently, and therefore, get wins in a different fashion.  The best players I know master three or four different characters (or more), so that they aren't locked into just one style.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Stang

The problem is shoto's are so fucking overused, their tricks do not work on an experienced player. Just ask JJ....fucking Honda.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @thatpinguino said:
    " But is there a weakness of the character or the weakness of the player you exploit "
    Nearly all the time it's both. Balrog (Boxer) for example can give many shotos a run for their "FIGHT MONEYY!!!". Just see the final of Evo 09. I will say it's harder to learn and use charge characters but when used correctly they can dominate even great shotos.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I play as Shoto characters because I suck with everyone else. Simple.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By keyhunter

Charge characters are hard to catch off guard since they're always blocking, also people who play charge characters are usually frustrating to fight since vega and m bison can jump across the screen, and attack with little risk of punishment. The fact of the matter is charge characters are really annoying and I don't see why anyone wouldn't use them.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff
    @keyhunter: I see what you did there, except charging is just how charge characters perform their moves, the fact that the characters have to charge has nothing to do with the properties of their moves.  EVERY shoto has an effective anti-air in their dragon punch, effective range in their fireball, and added mobility with the huricane kick.  They all have these three very balanced moves that make them versite and able to deal with mostly anything. 
    MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By MeetThePyro

Some people just want a character that fits their more defensive/aggressive play stile.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGremp

Respect.

Shotos are so freakin easy that there's almost no honor in winning with any of them.  If you want to win an easy match, use a shoto...  If you want to have an interesting, skill-based match and have the respect of your opponent, use a real character.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

I wipe the floor with shotos.

"LOL IMMA GET U WITH A WAKE-UP SHORYUKEN!!11111"

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @TheGremp said:
    " Respect.

Shotos are so freakin easy that there's almost no honor in winning with any of them.  If you want to win an easy match, use a shoto...  If you want to have an interesting, skill-based match and have the respect of your opponent, use a real character.
    "
    What a load of absolute nonsense. Go away scrub no one wants to hear your whining.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @Napalm said:
    " "LOL IMMA GET U WITH A WAKE-UP SHORYUKEN!!11111" "
    Lmfao, true that.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I hate shotos because DP has priority over pretty much anything and does massive damage, so scrubs just throw it out randomly, which can win matches. Especially against me cause I kinda suck. If they nerfed the DP's priority you would see a lot less shoto players I think... However my least favorite character in the game by far is Blanka. If I get beat by one more guy that just does a jump in and mashes punch until the electric shock comes out, then throws out a roll and repeats, I'm gonna hurl.

To answer the OP, if you can play shoto vs shoto every match and not get bored, that's great. I played a bit of most of the characters, found I was pretty good with Balrog (and he also happens to be high tier) and stuck with him. I still like to shake it up and play as Chun or Ryu every so often because I get bored playing as and against the same characters all the time. YMMV.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm said:
    " I wipe the floor with shotos."LOL IMMA GET U WITH A WAKE-UP SHORYUKEN!!11111" "
    Still waiting for a match. You seem confident enough.
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Wiping the floor with shotos and wiping the floor with scrubs are 2 different things.   Anyone with experience will know what to do against a wake up dragon punch.  It is way worse when you are playing good shots who know that the jab dragon punch is hard to punish or who can fireball trap. 

This topic may be flawed because if anything my opponents have answered the question for me.   90% of the time my opponents choose Ryu, Ken, or Akuma and if they switch after a few games they just change to another shoto.  I guess I'm more frustrated than anything.  For my Fei Long to win I have to dodge fireballs and dragon punches, get in close and stay there.  It just seems like they take less effort to get better results.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By keyhunter
    @thatpinguino: Wanna fight?
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By slinky6

Cause Rufus is boss.   That's why.   Dive-kicking all over this bitch.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

sure my gamer tag is thatpinguino

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper
    @thatpinguino: Less effort but not as rewarding. It's much easier to do a short uppercut to ultra with Ryu then land a perfect ultra as Guile but I don't think anyone disagrees which one is more satisfying.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter
    @thatpinguino: Lets throw down!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stang
    @Scooper said:
    " @thatpinguino: Less effort but not as rewarding. It's much easier to do a short uppercut to ultra with Ryu then land a perfect ultra as Guile but I don't think anyone disagrees which one is more satisfying. "
    Yep, I am indifferent when I land an ultra with Ryu, it is expected. But when somebody lands a clean ultra with Fei or Guile, I give them props. On the rare occasion I don't use a shoto and I land an ultra with Guile, I feel good about it and feel obligied to talk shit. This has happened probably 3 times :p
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " I wipe the floor with shotos."LOL IMMA GET U WITH A WAKE-UP SHORYUKEN!!11111" "
    Still waiting for a match. You seem confident enough. "
    I'm relatively positive I sent you a message telling you that I can't connect to you. Keyhunter sent me a request to play as well and the same thing happened.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By keyhunter
    @Napalm: Yo , Forward your ports.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGremp
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    " Respect.

"
    What a load of absolute nonsense. Go away scrub no one wants to hear your whining. "
    Spoken like a true Shoto user.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By napalm
    @TheGremp said:
    " @Keyser_Soze said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    " Respect.

"
    What a load of absolute nonsense. Go away scrub no one wants to hear your whining. "
    "
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that if you use a shoto then you are skill-less, but rarely do shotos throw anybody off-guard. Probably the only thing that gets me from time to time is their insanely-stupid priority move levels, which occasionally trip me up.

But yeah, simple fierce punch/kick tactics can usually stop simply shoto attacks.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By keyhunter
    @Napalm: The reason you can't join our player matches is because you need to forward ports on your router.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm
    @keyhunter said:
    " @Napalm: The reason you can't join our player matches is because you need to forward ports on your router. "
    I understand that, but I don't control access to my router so I can't do anything about it.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter
    @Napalm: :O
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stang
    @TheGremp said:
    " Respect.

"
    What the fuck? Yeah, spamming lariets is extremely tough. Connecting an ultra via a million setups with Rufus is insanely hard. Spamming all things Blanka requires mad skill!

Sounds like you take video games a bit too serious. Try knitting, I hear it is very peaceful.
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because after ten plus years of playing them you get bored and moove on to other characters.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_A_Drain

Wow this thread is full of ignorance.

Nothing wrong with using a shoto, but it's all personal preference, I honestly cannot get to grips with them as easily as I can charge characters, and I can't be bothered to learn FADC, so Balrog serves me needs well, and I routinely trash shoto's with him.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Renahzor

In SF4 the reason you see the shotos alot online are different for each.  Sagat (if you consider him one) is dominant, has a pretty easy fadc -> ultra setup, and can end a match in a hurry with a corner trap.  Ryu has a billion and 1 ways to land ultra, and online this is even more prevelant as blocking jab DPs can be much more difficult, and him landing an ultra can swing many many matches in his favor.  Ken is huge online for some reason (or was at release anyway).  Part of it is his short DP is very nearly impossible to punish online due to lag being about the same as his recovery.  I have been hit by a fierce DP countless times after a jab DP, trying to punish with a combo that is just flat out too late, and you cant hit him too early or he air resets/ you eat the top end of the dp, whatever.  These things along with the fact that Ryu/Sagat/Ken are the most recognizable characters for people returning to the franchise make them really popular.  They are familiar with strong moves that most everyone can pick up and do out of the box, its not hard to learn to throw a fireball, or cr.mk poke into fireball.

Ryu and Sagat also happen to be quite strong anyhow, with great priority on moves, so you see plenty of very good players using them as well.  I chose to pick a fight style i like, I play Cammy (a kinda sorta shoto hybrid?) who I pay as a big rushdown character.  High risk vs high reward.  The reason you might not pick Ken/Ryu/Sagat/Akuma etc is because you simply prefer another fighting style, as I do.  :P

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @TheGremp said:
    " @Keyser_Soze said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    " Respect.

"
    "
    Oh noes using half the characters in the game means you're a scrub. Quick get on the phone to Daigo, tell him he's been cheating all this time.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino said:
    " Shotos, they are the most balanced and easy to grasp characters in street fighter (I include sagat in this category). 
    Reasons I prefer chargers:

a) Everyone picks Shotos
    b) I hate being mainstream
    c) Everyone picks Shotos
    d) The Shotos can't handle the occasional charger because they are fighting other Shotos most of the time
    e) Everyone picks Shotos
    f) I don't want buttseks with Daigu

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    f) I don't want buttseks with Daigu "
    How is that possible?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
    @Renahzor said:
    " In SF4 the reason you see the shotos alot online are different for each.  Sagat (if you consider him one) is dominant, has a pretty easy fadc -> ultra setup, and can end a match in a hurry with a corner trap.  Ryu has a billion and 1 ways to land ultra, and online this is even more prevelant as blocking jab DPs can be much more difficult, and him landing an ultra can swing many many matches in his favor.  Ken is huge online for some reason (or was at release anyway).  Part of it is his short DP is very nearly impossible to punish online due to lag being about the same as his recovery.  I have been hit by a fierce DP countless times after a jab DP, trying to punish with a combo that is just flat out too late, and you cant hit him too early or he air resets/ you eat the top end of the dp, whatever.  These things along with the fact that Ryu/Sagat/Ken are the most recognizable characters for people returning to the franchise make them really popular.  They are familiar with strong moves that most everyone can pick up and do out of the box, its not hard to learn to throw a fireball, or cr.mk poke into fireball.Ryu and Sagat also happen to be quite strong anyhow, with great priority on moves, so you see plenty of very good players using them as well.  I chose to pick a fight style i like, I play Cammy (a kinda sorta shoto hybrid?) who I pay as a big rushdown character.  High risk vs high reward.  The reason you might not pick Ken/Ryu/Sagat/Akuma etc is because you simply prefer another fighting style, as I do.  :P "
    I had an amazing match against a shoto character the other day. The first round they dominated me with throws and that flying spinning kick, but in the second round he attempted a jump maneuver, in which I rightfully threw his ass in the corner, threw a slow sonic boom and began a severe rushdown. I would jump up and hit him with a four-hit light combo and as soon as I finished I would jump back up and do something similar. He eventually attempted something and opened himself up for which I could pounce even harder and dizzy'd him which ended in a focus attack + fierce kick. He had no idea what the fuck to do. It was quite amazing.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#44  Edited By ImperiousRix

I feel like it all depends on your playstyle and the strengths of the character you're playing, not what "type" is better.  I personally play charge characters far better than I play shoto characters, and don't fear many shoto players because I know my own character's/playstyles strengths and weakenesses as well as keeping a general mind as to what the strengths/weaknesses of my opponent's character are.
    Besides, you're missing the point that even in high-level competition play, charge characters are not ranked far below shotos.  Balrog and M. Bison are considered very high-tier.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By napalm
    @ImperiousRix said:
    "

I feel like it all depends on your playstyle and the strengths of the character you're playing, not what "type" is better.  I personally play charge characters far better than I play shoto characters, and don't fear many shoto players because I know my own character's/playstyles strengths and weakenesses as well as keeping a general mind as to what the strengths/weaknesses of my opponent's character are.
    Besides, you're missing the point that even in high-level competition play, charge characters are not ranked far below shotos.  Balrog and M. Bison are considered very high-tier.

"
    Guile and Ken are both in tier three I believe.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#46  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Napalm said:
    "@ImperiousRix said:
    "

"
    Guile and Ken are both in tier three I believe."

I think Ken is either the very lowest one of tier two, or yes he is in tier three.  Either way, you're right in saying that there is little difference in which is considered "better"; they're both solid characters.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By Fallen189

So ignorant idiots can call you a "scrub" and feel good about themselves when they lose, which they always do.

lemon__fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lemon__fresh
    @Scooper said:
    " @thatpinguino: Less effort but not as rewarding. It's much easier to do a short uppercut to ultra with Ryu then land a perfect ultra as Guile but I don't think anyone disagrees which one is more satisfying. "
    Perfect ultra? I prefer the one that does more damage and im not a shoto player.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scooper
    @lemon__fresh said:
    " @Scooper said:
    Perfect ultra? I prefer the one that does more damage and im not a shoto player. "
    I mean a perfect Ultra as in all hits connect. It's so easy with Guile to only hit maybe 3 times for the same damage as a throw but when you land every hit it's really satisfying. As you prefering ones that do more damage, that's fine, it's your opinion.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper said:
    " @lemon__fresh said:
    " @Scooper said:
    Perfect ultra? I prefer the one that does more damage and im not a shoto player. "
    I mean a perfect Ultra as in all hits connect. It's so easy with Guile to only hit maybe 3 times for the same damage as a throw but when you land every hit it's really satisfying. As you prefering ones that do more damage, that's fine, it's your opinion. "
    I mentioned this before, but it's a pain in the ass when my opponent is right diagonal of me, close, and I hit the ultra and his first Somersault connects and then they just fly behind me missing the rest of the attack. I was so pissed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.