The Secrets Of Super Mario Crossover Revealed

Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Mega Man doesn't put his helmet on until you get a power-up.
Have you played Super Mario Crossover? Why not? You should. Crossover takes the classic levels from the original Super Mario Bros. and allows you to play them as Mario or as one of five other characters from classic NES franchises. What makes Crossover so interesting is that all of the playable characters feature the same control mechanics they had in their original games, except that now, instead of fighting octoroks or medusa heads, you're fighting the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom. If you've ever dreamed about seeing Bill from Contra shoot a goomba with a machine gun, or watch Samus kill a koopa with a bomb, then you should most definitely check the game out before Nintendo's lawyers do.

It's a pretty cool little time waster, and now you can get a little inside information about how the game was made. Jay Pavlina, the man who developed the game, is developing a YouTube series where he plays through levels of Crossover and provides commentary about the various design, musical, and artistic decisions he made when developing the game. The first video in the series focuses on playing through level 1-1 with Simon Belmont

Check it!

Cool, huh? I really like hearing him talk about how he had to change the "physics" of Simon Belmont's jump so that he could reach the same heights as Mario. It's the weird, little details that you don't even really think about when you play the games that I enjoy hearing about. I also like Jay's hair and beard combo. It makes him look like a mad scientist. All game developers should look like mad scientists   

What do you think, Bombers? Do you like seeing developer commentary for these types of games? And what classic NES character would you like to see grabbing the top of the flagpole?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Mega Man doesn't put his helmet on until you get a power-up.
Have you played Super Mario Crossover? Why not? You should. Crossover takes the classic levels from the original Super Mario Bros. and allows you to play them as Mario or as one of five other characters from classic NES franchises. What makes Crossover so interesting is that all of the playable characters feature the same control mechanics they had in their original games, except that now, instead of fighting octoroks or medusa heads, you're fighting the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom. If you've ever dreamed about seeing Bill from Contra shoot a goomba with a machine gun, or watch Samus kill a koopa with a bomb, then you should most definitely check the game out before Nintendo's lawyers do.

It's a pretty cool little time waster, and now you can get a little inside information about how the game was made. Jay Pavlina, the man who developed the game, is developing a YouTube series where he plays through levels of Crossover and provides commentary about the various design, musical, and artistic decisions he made when developing the game. The first video in the series focuses on playing through level 1-1 with Simon Belmont

Check it!

Cool, huh? I really like hearing him talk about how he had to change the "physics" of Simon Belmont's jump so that he could reach the same heights as Mario. It's the weird, little details that you don't even really think about when you play the games that I enjoy hearing about. I also like Jay's hair and beard combo. It makes him look like a mad scientist. All game developers should look like mad scientists   

What do you think, Bombers? Do you like seeing developer commentary for these types of games? And what classic NES character would you like to see grabbing the top of the flagpole?
#2 Edited by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

:O

Edit: Finally!

#3 Posted by lil_cheeks (118 posts) -

dang...almost 

#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Whoa - this seems worth a watch!

#5 Posted by Irish87 (146 posts) -

I wonder if he has to register whenever he moves to a new neighborhood. 

#6 Posted by PLWolf (923 posts) -

That's awesome, now I know what I'll be doing later this afternoon.

#7 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

its a pretty cool flash game, playin as Bill R from Contra is really cheap but stupidly fun :P
#8 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

I wonder how the height differences play...

#9 Posted by ysselzor (75 posts) -

looks fun

#10 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Played this weeks ago. It's really cool if you've got a pc compatible gamepad.

#11 Posted by XNaphryz (76 posts) -

The Ryu Hayabusa coming soon trailer is awesome:

#12 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I've been addicted to this game all week. Can't wait to play as Ryu.

#13 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Did you just call us Bombers?....

#14 Edited by btman (1038 posts) -

is there a way to download it?

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

Cool idea, played it sometime earlier. Simon and Link are pathetic, though.

#16 Posted by agentboolen (1763 posts) -

Actually a lot of fun, wish it would be a NES rom though.

#17 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

My only (minor) gripe is that Link controls like Link from Zelda 2, yet they used the Zelda 1 sprite.

#18 Posted by XNaphryz (76 posts) -
@skrutop said:
" My only (minor) gripe is that Link controls like Link from Zelda 2, yet they used the Zelda 1 sprite. "
But doesn't getting the mushroom turn you into Zelda 2 Link? I could see why they wanted to keep the control consistent due to that.
#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@XNaphryz: Dude holy shit that looks awesome.
#20 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@XNaphryz said:

" @skrutop said:

" My only (minor) gripe is that Link controls like Link from Zelda 2, yet they used the Zelda 1 sprite. "

But doesn't getting the mushroom turn you into Zelda 2 Link? I could see why they wanted to keep the control consistent due to that. "
Not the version I played; it just changed Link's color, like picking up the damage resisting rings.

Also, is that dude recording from his mom's bedroom or something?  Creepy-looking guy.

As cool as Ryu will be, I'd like to see them put Rad Spencer in the game.
#21 Posted by BrandNameCommercial (56 posts) -

Definitely worth the watch. Still hadn't played the actual game yet, but hearing him talk about it, I definitely have to download it. Hopefully he does more of these, and also expands on the original premise.
I want more high quality NES crossovers!

#22 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

The more coverage this dude gets, the faster Nintendo is gonna beat his ass down.

#23 Posted by Jedted (2346 posts) -

I played a little bit of it as Mega Man and it looks really well done.  Kudos to the guy who made it! 

I wish we could see more video game crossovers that are not just lame marketing gimmicks. 
#24 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

cool beans

#25 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

This isn't gaming news. Stop treating this site like Destructoid.

#26 Posted by eillothebadger (82 posts) -
@Irish87: what is it about that look that children find so sexy?
#27 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

This shows how much detail goes into making a game fun.

#28 Posted by Rodiard (438 posts) -

Good stuff. Seems like a cool dude.

#29 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

The game would be fun, plus it has a great nostalgic quality.

On another note: Why is this dude not being funded to build a time machine?

#30 Posted by Landon (4138 posts) -

What do you think Bombers? Is that the user nick name now? I don't know how to feel about that...

#31 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" This isn't gaming news. Stop treating this site like Destructoid. "
So you'd rather have nothing? Cause that's what we'd get if the new guys weren't here.
#32 Posted by CyleMoore (494 posts) -

Love this game

#33 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -
@Landon said:
" What do you think Bombers? Is that the user nick name now? I don't know how to feel about that... "
Agreed. I will not stand for being called a "bomber."
#34 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" This isn't gaming news. Stop treating this site like Destructoid. "
Yeah I don't know if I like where Giant Bomb is heading with the new people. The front page has so many rumors now. I want news, not rumors and youtube video links.
#35 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -
#36 Posted by TheHendenpeter (47 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: This is a story about gaming culture which is more than acceptable on a site like gb. I think what you mean to say is you do not want pretentious, cynical articles written by hipsters who care less about playing games than having a soap box to stand on. As far as I can tell, Mr. Kessler is just a nerd happy to be writing about video games, which is all gb has ever really been about.
#37 Posted by Hyuzen (448 posts) -

i don't know how i feel about being called bombers. but i'm sure i'd get used to it 

as for the game, i tried it and it was pretty fun, i wish there was a way to save

#38 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

Awesome,, enjoyed that alot.

#39 Posted by Milkman (16667 posts) -

Woah, I like the new look of the news pages.

#40 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

Bombers is a great name for Giant Bomb fans.

#41 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

That was a really cool game, Now I just want even more crossovers. 

Stop saying Bombers though, seriously. *cringe

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@XNaphryz: 

AWESOME OVERLOAD, I REPEAT, AWESOME OVERLOAD!!!....Also, how is this a story? Just trying to wonder in as non-flaming a way as possible, even thought I've already failed.

#43 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

sure go for it crew I recommend samus all the way

#44 Posted by Kenobi (373 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: This site needs some more new activity.  Stop complaining, until now, I have been getting my gaming updates from other sites.  This is a good change.  This will up Giantbomb traffic for sure.  Thumbs up
#45 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Awesome,    I wish I could download this before it gets pulled.

Edit:  Nevermind, I figured out how.....
Now I want the damn source code

#46 Posted by iSylence (345 posts) -
@Irish87 said:
" I wonder if he has to register whenever he moves to a new neighborhood.  "
lol nice
#47 Posted by John1912 (1859 posts) -
@DrFreeman said:
" @Irish87 said:
" I wonder if he has to register whenever he moves to a new neighborhood.  "
lol nice "
Is he in his mothers, or grandmothers bedroom?  I cant tell....
#48 Posted by n8 (264 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: eat poo sir.  i didn't about this guy until GB made a post about him, and couldn't be happier that they did so.  he's a game developer...  and this is a website about video games.  see the correlation?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.