Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Does anyone else think Team Fortress 2 is boring?

• 91 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm not hating here. I think Valve are amazing, i attribute a few of the mini-bars that form the health bar of PC gaming to Valve, and i think it's great that Team Fortress 2 exists and that it has such a massive scene. 

No Caption Provided

However, I've owned the Orange Box for a few years now, and whenever i try to jump into Team Fortress 2 i get.. bored.  
    Sure, the game looks fun (visuals and gameplay mechanics/physics), the trailers and little CGI videos of the characters are funny, the characters (classes) themselves look cool, everything about this game looks and feels and sounds great, except for the gameplay itself in real time. 
    I believe it's utterly boring, the fact that the maps are so small, the shootouts are so crazy and consist of one chokepoint after another, and the entire thing feels like too much of a clusterfucky mayhem to actually be enjoying myself. 

I mean, if i compare this game to my personal favorite Battlefield 2, i find BF2 also very crazy, with it's ragdoll physics and all kinds of vehicles exploding and flying off cliffs and ramps, yet there is still room for me to actually play and do something. I get to survive for more than 10 seconds, and i get to interact with my teammates and accomplish things. 

Whereas in Team Fortress 2, it feels like we're an infinite swarm of ants pushing together mindlessly in intense chokepoints, dying off every 10 seconds and having a new ant come up and take our place (you respawning = the new ant).  
    It's too chaotic and if i try to describe it, i don't really have anything to describe. We capture small bases or push a big car together as we explode and die over and over continuously and with no buffer zone or a shift in the tempo and pacing of the action 

As in, when i play other games, there are times where the action is intense, but there also times when i'm by myself. Whereas in TF2, you're always surrounded by teammates and enemies, constantly killing and dying. It gets repetitively irritating.

So i ask you, is there anyone else who thinks TF2 is boring? If you do, have you tried to change that? Why are you unable to enjoy the game like millions of people seem to? 
    Is something wrong with us :P ?
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

play smaller servers, play with people using headsets who know the game, use snipers or medics or spies... I honestly don't find this game that chaotic really

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Nope. I think it's great, I've not encountered the dying every 10 seconds problem

There's moments when you're alone, as in if there's no teleporter up and you're running to get back to the action or going through the back way to the enemy capture point.

We might just play different game modes. I tend to stick to 24 player servers doing capture point games or payload. I never play in instant respawn servers either, that completely breaks the game.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Give me your hats if you don't like it.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

I played it today for the first time for a few hours. Seems alright. Simple mechanics that largely belong to a place in time that I don't think most shooters go for these days. After I was done, I kind of thought, "Well, that's TF2 I guess." I don't intend to play anymore, but I can see why people might like it. I don't know if "boring" is the right word though. It just appeals to a specific set of tastes. 

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SlasherMan

I disagree completely. TF2 was and still is one of the best MP games to have ever existed, and was my personal go-to MP game until L4D hit.
    Ditch the instant respawn servers, play on the lower player count servers (24 players preferably), and you'll find a very different experience than the one you described in your OP.

I myself kinda like the crazy instant respawn 36 player servers, TBH. Just mindless fun, nothing serious.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Ygg said:

Nope. I think it's great, I've not encountered the dying every 10 seconds problem There's moments when you're alone, as in if there's no teleporter up and you're running to get back to the action or going through the back way to the enemy capture point. We might just play different game modes. I tend to stick to 24 player servers doing capture point games or payload. I never play in instant respawn servers either, that completely breaks the game.

Do this. It works. The game is fantastic, you just gotta find a gametype you like. Zombie Fortress and Prop Hunt are both great gametypes. Or Vs Saxton Hale.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

Haha, I like TF2! I love spying around ;D

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk

It's okay. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You need to look beyond the core gameplay. The hats are where the action is at.

Seriously though, I find that the biggest problem with TF2 is people on your team not knowing what to do. With good teamwork and cooperation, you should be able to force your way past any of the choke points. The choke points are designed with that in mind. It might be a challenge, but it's always possible to get past them with good teamwork. To each his own, though.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Kyreo

I love TF2. It is a fantastic game that is constantly growing and getting better. I love it.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mazik765

TF2 is the only shooter besides some Halo games that I have played with any semblance of regularity. I prefer it to yet another military shooter any day of the week.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By N7

Welp. I just figured out that my laptop can run Team Fortress 2, so I'm in the process of downloading it now. What I remember of it on the PS3 was it being awesome.

Get ready to get DEAD.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By ReyGitano

@KaosAngel said:

Give me your hats if you don't like it.

No, he has too many already. No one man should have all that power those hats.

Also, play with friends. That keeps me entertained.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Kind of.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By zor

There are three things i would suggest to anyone who feels that TF2 is 'boring' 

1. First, try out the different modes. There are normal team death matches, payloads (walk a bomb into the other teams base), capture points, ctf, arena, king of the hill, and duel payload (there might me a few more modes, but i don't remember)
    2. Second, try playing different classes. Playing a spy is nothing like playing a soldier. A medic is nothing like an engineer. More or less, the classes all have a unique-ish role to play. I use 'ish', since there are items, which change how a class plays. For example, you can get a full melee set for the demo man, which turns an AoE, trapper, into a melee rusher. 
    3. Third, play with people you know. The biggest draw for this game for me is that i know a few other people who play it. Like most games, it is much funner when you play with friends.
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle

Yeah. It was fucking fantastic the first week I played though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sooty
    @N7 said:

Welp. I just figured out that my laptop can run Team Fortress 2, so I'm in the process of downloading it now. What I remember of it on the PS3 was it being awesome.

Get ready to get DEAD.

Wow you are in for a treat. The console version was a complete mess compared to PC and that was true even when they had the same amount of content.

Now along with all the hat stuff I'd have to estimate the PC version with no mods/third party stuff has at least 10x the amount of stuff the game originally shipped with.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Portis

I can only play Team Fortress 2 a very certain way, or else I lose interest very quickly.

24 player server, playing a capture point map with no instant respawn. Anything other then that -- no thanks.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rubberluffy

I'm weird in that I have played over 200 hour of TF2, but I cannot play on "normal" servers because I find them so boring.  If I'm playing on a server and my team is chatting about tactics or whatever, I just don't like it.  Servers with constant music or soundclips going all the time (i.e. 4chan server) are the only ones I'll play on.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aronman789

Is there even any sort of story to TF2? Do they even explain why these people are fighting?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tunaburn

i hate it... and i feel guilty because i was gifted this game right before it went free. 

but its so boring! it really is just to much going on at one time.  its a huge clusterfuck. 
    rockets and bombs everywhere. spys just cloaking and stabbing you in the back once then running away. 
    flamethrows just spraying everywhere.  
    the issue to me is definitely the small ass maps. so tiny! also i dont like the fact there is only one class with a machine gun.  
    every other long range weapon is a rocket or bomb or sniper....

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tunaburn
    @Portis said:

I can only play Team Fortress 2 a very certain way, or else I lose interest very quickly.

24 player server, playing a capture point map with no instant respawn. Anything other then that -- no thanks.

this sounds fun but how the hell do i find this!
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vorbis

I stopped playing when the achievements were first introduced, but before that I had some fun. It's not really a game you can play for hours, just a few rounds. Reinstalled it after the update and I'm having still enjoying it, best with a friend as a Heavy/Medic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it for three months. Then it stopped being fun.

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Chaossebba

Would I be weird if I confessed that about 900 out of my 1120 hours on TF2 are on nearly the same Arena server?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Aronman789 said:
    Is there even any sort of story to TF2? Do they even explain why these people are fighting?
    It's been sorta fleshed out in the comics posted on the blog, but not really, no.  

~700 hours in the game, still liking it but not that much anymore. I'm beginning to think the F2P is killing this game slowly. 
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

nope.avi

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By AlexW00d

TF2 is easily the best Multiplayer game ever.

You don't need to be good and it is still a bucket of fun. Yes: a bucket.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dingofighter

No, I love the fact that the classes are so different, so when you get bored of one you can just change class and have fun all over again.

And I really don't mind dying in TF2 for some reason, it's just fun to play as the scout and run in jumping over peoples heads and maybe getting a shot or two at them before getting blown up by the entire enemy team...

I guess it's the fast pace of the game that makes dying a non-issue for me since I can just respawn and get back into the action right away.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Playing with friends is out of the question because i don't have friends who play video games 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm installing TF2 right now and i'm gonna try the Giant Bomb server for starters.  
    Later on i'll try 24 player servers and see what modes i enjoy best.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zaglis

Not a game for you = boring?

Go away.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yinstarrunner

First, you definitely need to play on 24 or below player count servers. Anything over that is a clusterfuck indeed. After you get quite a few rounds under your belt, you should begin to see the ebbs and flows of the matchups and the suprising subtleties of the game. At least, if your perceptive, you should. I never got bored of the game because it was so random and chaotic. In fact, after 600 hours, I felt done with it because it became too PREDICTABLE.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Donos

Spent a couple hours with this and.... yeah got fairly bored. When you get down to it, the game is just meatgrinding down one hallway or another, and that's not particularly interesting. When you do get down to small fights, all the classes play more or less the same, just circle strafing wasd and spamming whatever interchangeable mid range or melee weapon you happen to have.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Search around, find a server you like with frequenting players, frequent that server, make friends, have fun!

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By endless_void

For me its the opposite actually. BF2 felt too slow and there was too much downtime involved. A game like TF2 has continual action while keeping the teamwork aspect. I also like how its smaller scale.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Personally I really like TF2. You can hit points where there is a chokehold in the map and if neither team is really that big on strategy it just becomes a war of attrition, but overall I've found the battles to be very manageable and the maps to be large enough to accommodate everything that's happening.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By theguy

TF2 is the only online game I've played where the teams progress is more important than mine. I never care about my own score I only care if my team wins or loses, that's what I love about it so much.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shinigami420

Its funny how you think TF2 is boring and duke nukem forever is fun proves that you have bad taste in games

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By DjCmeP

309 hours played..so no?

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rattle618

Im 48% away from having an opinion on this matter :)

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ervonymous

360 and PC combined I actively played it for ~400 hours. I don't think it's boring, it just turned into a whole different game as time went by. sigh

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shadows_kill

I just wish there was a SMG or machine gun guy not the heavy... just like the soldier except with a machine gun. 

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rockanomics

@Ahmad_Metallic: I think a lot of TF2 servers are boring, but if you take the time to find decent ones it can help a shit ton.

The negatives your are associating with the game just scream "24/7 badwater insta-respawn", 32 player max, always full. Which is always definitely a cluster-F, I avoid them at all costs.

I always have 24 players max on my filters, but honestly I just don't like the attack vs. defense maps. The balance of the maps are largely determined by the server, if it's a big player count with a low respawn rate the defenders have it stupid easy. A 9 v 9 on coldfront on the other hand is my ideal setup, almost impossible to find though.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By WickedCestus

Well, I can say after one round that it's definitely a fun game, but I couldn't see myself playing a lot of it consistently.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By Dalai

I actually prefer smaller maps and clusterfucks. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shinigami420

@Dalai said:

I actually prefer smaller maps and clusterfucks. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Yeah true

For me its just egypt 24/7

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By mikemcn

Games so damn weird, every gun feels bad. How do you get a feel for shooting anything?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:

Games so damn weird, every gun feels bad. How do you get a feel for shooting anything?

That's actually a good question
    DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DoctorLazy
    @Donos said:

Spent a couple hours with this and.... yeah got fairly bored. When you get down to it, the game is just meatgrinding down one hallway or another, and that's not particularly interesting. When you do get down to small fights, all the classes play more or less the same, just circle strafing wasd and spamming whatever interchangeable mid range or melee weapon you happen to have.

This is objectively untrue.  I could see where you get this impression from if you're playing on bad public servers.  The game is a lot faster paced than most modern shooters so if all you've played are Halo games or military shooters the transition can be tough.  But if you stick with it the game is very rewarding with room for players that are casual as well as players with a high skill level and players inbetween.  It really is the best multiplayer FPS out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.