We'll Finally Get Another Glimpse at The Last Guardian Soon

• 53 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3475 posts) -
Even though Fumito Ueda keeps saying otherwise, that bird creature thing's gonna die at the end. And we'll cry.

Sony was supposed to show off The Last Guardian at the Game Developers Conference early this year, but the company canceled those meetings at the last second. We expected the next project from Fumito Ueda and Team ICO at E3 in some form, but The Last Guardian was a no-show again.

While it's impossible to say when we'll actually be playing The Last Guardian, Sony's promising another look at its perpetual development when the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico high-definition combo disc arrives next month.

The PlayStation Blog doesn't specify how much we'll see, only that a 12-minute video feature about Team ICO will include "exclusive never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian." Prepare to slowly scrub through that video, folks!

At this point, though, fans (i.e. me) will take what we can get.

The combo pack arrives on September 27.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3475 posts) -
Even though Fumito Ueda keeps saying otherwise, that bird creature thing's gonna die at the end. And we'll cry.

Sony was supposed to show off The Last Guardian at the Game Developers Conference early this year, but the company canceled those meetings at the last second. We expected the next project from Fumito Ueda and Team ICO at E3 in some form, but The Last Guardian was a no-show again.

While it's impossible to say when we'll actually be playing The Last Guardian, Sony's promising another look at its perpetual development when the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico high-definition combo disc arrives next month.

The PlayStation Blog doesn't specify how much we'll see, only that a 12-minute video feature about Team ICO will include "exclusive never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian." Prepare to slowly scrub through that video, folks!

At this point, though, fans (i.e. me) will take what we can get.

The combo pack arrives on September 27.

Staff
#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11850 posts) -

I'd almost forgotten about this game, to be honest.

#3 Edited by mdnthrvst (263 posts) -

Finally. Though I still don't regret purchasing Ico for $40 literally one month before the Collection was revealed.

#4 Edited by welshguy (40 posts) -

Looks interesting, but the minute I saw the trailer a while back I decided not to play it because I just knew that wierd ass bird dragon thing would die and that would make me blubber. It was bad enough in shadow of the colosuss when you lose your horse toward the end (i know the horse comes back but damn that was a sad moment) and I hate horses.

#5 Posted by MeatSim (10768 posts) -

Is this game ever going to get out of development hell?

#6 Posted by HypotheticalSolution76 (139 posts) -
@welshguy said:
Looks interesting, but the minute I saw the trailer a while back I decided not to play it because I just knew that wierd ass bird dragon thing would die and that would make me blubber. It was bad enough in shadow of the colosuss when you lose your horse toward the end (i know the horse comes back but damn that was a sad moment) and I hate horses.
You lose your horse? I still haven't played Shadow of the Colossus. Still, at least your horse comes back. Sad moment, indeed.
#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4286 posts) -

That exclusive footage better end with a release date.

#8 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

2015 release date

#9 Posted by MJHAYLETT (437 posts) -

its getting to the point now where I am getting worried about The Last Guardian and thinking it may never make it out. Look how long they (PD) took for GT5 - good game but nowhere near as good as it should have been. Sony should have struck the whip with that game but no and we get a game that hasn't evolved from the very first game and now years and years later we are still waiting for The Last Guardian. I've had it on pre-order since 2009 for heavens sake.

#10 Posted by Ceno (111 posts) -

Stoked for SOTC. Looking forward to a quick look.

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Meh these games have always been good but not great imo. The ideas are great but the execution isn't, the one thing i loved about SoTC was the soundtrack soooo good. 

#12 Posted by Evilsbane (4538 posts) -

Huh forgot this was even still a thing, looks like they promised to much realized what they had would fail to reach expectation and had to go back make something to at least somewhat live up to the hype.

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

another glimpse in 2011 
a new trailer in 2012 
gameplay teaser 2014 
dev interview 2020 
beta 2154 
game release 3000

#14 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I can't even remember when The Last Guardian was announced, it feels like a decade ago.

More often than not, games that take a long ass time to develop, end up disappointing. (DNF, GT5)

#15 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

Framerate will stink on PS3.  Can't wait for rerelease on the PS4.

#16 Edited by jasondesante (601 posts) -
@Buckfitches said:

I can't even remember when The Last Guardian was announced, it feels like a decade ago.

More often than not, games that take a long ass time to develop, end up disappointing. (DNF, GT5)

DNF wasn't disappinting, it was due to the creative process and methods of creating.  The WIRED article about it really brings some light on the whole thing.  GT5 was not a disappintment as much as it was a true GT game and disappinting to gamers because of the more game like elements found in Forza.  I still think the atmosphere in GT5 is unreal and truly amazing.

Now if you know anything about Team ICO, you will not have any worries about them not understanding gameplay experiences and lose sight of the user's experience.  You will be happy if you have an open mind.  But since you didn't like DNF, you probably have an open mind, so get pumped.

@zombie2011 said:
Meh these games have always been good but not great imo. The ideas are great but the execution isn't, the one thing i loved about SoTC was the soundtrack soooo good. 
Thats your own opinion.  Most people view this one specific moment 2/3 way through ICO  as the most powerful moment in gaming, and proof of its potential as an art form. I dont want to give it away, but I would say its the only moment where I yelled at my TV because of genuine emotion.
#17 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

I did forget about it.

#18 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

I'm so fucking tired of Sony trying to squeeze this out.

Just be quiet until it's ready to be released and then try to sell it to me.

#19 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

I bought a PS3 in anticipation for this. There has been some great games and some terrible games but it means nothing to me if The Last Guardian doesn't come out.

#20 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Totally forgot about this game. Will probably forget about it again im sure.

#22 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1389 posts) -

The HD collection is coming out next month? Huh, I really need to order that.

#23 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

@Buckfitches said:

DNF wasn't disappinting, it was due to the creative process and methods of creating. The WIRED article about it really brings some light on the whole thing. GT5 was not a disappintment as much as it was a true GT game and disappinting to gamers because of the more game like elements found in Forza. I still think the atmosphere in GT5 is unreal and truly amazing.

Now if you know anything about Team ICO, you will not have any worries about them not understanding gameplay experiences and lose sight of the user's experience. You will be happy if you have an open mind. But since you didn't like DNF, you probably have an open mind, so get pumped.

@zombie2011 said:
Thats your own opinion. Most people view this one specific moment 2/3 way through ICO as the most powerful moment in gaming, and proof of its potential as an art form. I dont want to give it away, but I would say its the only moment where I yelled at my TV because of genuine emotion.

That could be why he added "IMO". Just maybe.

#24 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Eh, I don't care any more.

#25 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -

The creature dies in the end.

#26 Edited by Surkov (991 posts) -

Anytime anyone mentions this game, this first thing that comes out of their mouth is "OMG the bird-thing is going to die and I'm going to cry." 

Ever article and video discussion I've seen out about this game says this. Yes, we all played Shadow of the Colossus and can see where they might take the plot, but stop with this pontification. It's been played out.  

Edit: I still like your articles a lot Patrick, but I just had to let this out.  I can't wait to play SotC again, Ico not so much but I'll try. 

#27 Posted by ThePilgrums (423 posts) -

@natetodamax said:

The creature dies in the end.

Since everyone is expecting it I'm betting it won't. Too predictable if you ask me.

And guys... Seriously. Show me some in-game footage then finish the damn thing. I'm sick of waiting for this game. :S

#28 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I just want this game.

#29 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

@Dagmar said:

That could be why he added "IMO". Just maybe.

Yeah but his "opinion" was that the execution of Team ICO games are below par and the ideas are bigger than the execution. Where the perfect execution is what makes Team ICO games so unique. So yes I think his opinion is a little bit ignorant in this situation. Not every game can hold your hand through to the end, sometimes you have to be the one holding the hand. ICO !!!!

Not sure how that makes it any less of an opinion. He thinks it's a good idea for a game, but doesn't enjoy the mechanics. Without him giving a specific reason I can't say that I agree or disagree. Only that it's a valid opinion. Either way I am not affected, I just was pointing out you stated that it was his opinion, when he clearly said it was before hand. Since I could care less, I can't say as to why I felt the need to reply.

#30 Posted by Emdimian (3 posts) -

I think this is gonna be vaporware 

#31 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me that these things exist. September 27th cannot come fast enough. Also can't wait to see more of The Last Guardian. So excited!

#32 Edited by Steparnicus (32 posts) -

I really hope this game comes out some day...im sick of getting emails updating me about how this still isn't coming out!

I'm also hoping for this footage to be substantial, I'd rather not be teased  =(

Just had a bit of a weird thought though.  What if its the boy that dies at the end?      

#33 Edited by Blackout62 (1329 posts) -

Seriously the hell is that thing? It's not a griffin or a sphinx. The best catch all term I can think of is a chimera.

Oh wait those are supposed to be cat ears? Yeah I guess that would make it a griffin, looks more like a mouse though.

#34 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

I was starting to wonder if it was going to be cancelled.  Games don't go media blackout for nearly two years without a reason. 
#35 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

They should retitle this as The Last PS3 release if things keep going.

#36 Posted by Arjuna (886 posts) -

I must remain patient and calm for the release date....

#37 Posted by NL_Buddha (55 posts) -

This game is the main reason I own a PS3...the development cycle has been long but I am sure that Ueda-san will not disappoint us. I had to buy ICO for $50 used and can't wait for the HD re-release of these amazing Team ICO games!!!

#38 Posted by ptys (1887 posts) -

Instead of reporting about content coming, why not just reduce the hype and wait for it to come.

#39 Posted by cabsy (4 posts) -

I want this game so badly that it's almost pathetic, I keep holding out hope that it'll finally release.

#40 Posted by CitizenJP (1006 posts) -

I can't waaaiiittt to play Shadow of the Colossus again

#41 Posted by probablytuna (3539 posts) -

Can't wait for the HD Collection. Didn't get a chance to play two of PS2's greatest games.

#42 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

I was already planning to buy both of them, so bonus!

#43 Posted by Coch3se (4 posts) -

Still using pics from the old trailer as backgrounds for my desktop.

#44 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1899 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

Huh forgot this was even still a thing, looks like they promised to much realized what they had would fail to reach expectation and had to go back make something to at least somewhat live up to the hype.

Did you even play ICO or SOTC? The hype and expectations people have are because those were two of the best games of the last generation not because the developer made outlandish promises. In fact information about this game has been so scant that any expectations you have are totally unfounded and probably best ignored.

#45 Posted by Mokes (36 posts) -

It's about time we got some more information!

#46 Posted by TheKbob (147 posts) -

I have the collection pre-ordered off newegg with free shipping and for $30! So pumped.

Sadly, I think I might be let down because I probably will remember all the patterns to beat the colossi. D:

#47 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

Is it bad since Mass Effect 3 was delayed, I feel like Skyrim will be delayed, and we all know Diablo III will not make this year realistically, that my most anticipated games are the MGS collection and the ICO/SotC collection?

#48 Posted by Dredlockz (343 posts) -

not sure I endorse news articles about getting news articles soon.

#49 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

Zzzz... 

Wake me up when there's some sort of game information involved, it's been too dark for too long for me to get excited about them announcing that they're going to release another video over month from now. 

#50 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1447 posts) -
@WickedCobra03 said:

Is it bad since Mass Effect 3 was delayed, I feel like Skyrim will be delayed, and we all know Diablo III will not make this year realistically, that my most anticipated games are the MGS collection and the ICO/SotC collection?

Replaying some of the best games ever in remastered HD, why would that be a bad thing. I will say, there's plenty of other great games incoming like Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3, MW3, Nintendo is probably gonna have some sort of retail product at some point, errr Rage is a video game, DotA 2 might be free-2-play...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.